• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

I know right, all those Jewish jokes from way back when are super funny because Matt Stone considers himself ethnically Jewish, and they make fun of everyone anyway.... so when Cartman dressed like Hitler back in Season 8 and started a race riot chanting the words "We must exterminate the Jews" it was actually hilarious and I'm just an out of touch old man.

That episode is a classic.

That is interesting. I thought it looked like a poorly drawn fish with lipstick and earnings, and the reference never crossed my mind. But now that you point it out, it actually does a bit. I do not think it is intentional.

They made no effort to make the fish look like Donda West.
The design isn't an 'accident.'
They made a mammy fish.

He's also a prepotent, self absorbed, arrogant dick who supports Trump.

Which is why going after him for making a video game about his dead mom and making her into a "mammy" is all the more fucking dumb.

So many people here discussing what's going on under the surface of the joke, poking fun at Kanye's ego and melodrama, and there are jokes you can do with that and make it funny. But they went here instead because...because it's gross?

sjay1994

And that makes it ok to enjoy gay joke about him as well as mocking the death of his mother?

I mean, the joke of Kanye being a gay fish isn't a slant on him being gay, but because he doesn't have a sense of humor and took things so seriously back in 2009 (and still to this day).

Sure the Gayfish joke of "fishdicks in your mouth" segment probably wouldn't fly 8 years later after that episode originally aired, but it became one of the most popular gags in South Park.

And referring to him as a Gay Fish and depicting him as a fish instead of referring to or depicting him as Kanye West was done to avoid legal proceedings.

I can already see the excuses now... “how would anyone know it was a female fish unless we put dark red lipstick on it???”

Hey idiots, maybe just realize the joke isn’t funny and drop the whole thing so no one can even question whether you put blackface in you game or not.

Fucking manchildren.

Love to get lectured on what is and isn't funny from someone named after a McElroy brothers joke.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah that Mammy Fish is fucked up and racist. Whether the rest of it is fine or not doesn't really matter. Amazed they let it go, let alone approve it for marketing.

Ahasverus

Stick of Truth with every purchase?
yessir
Which is why going after him for making a video game about his dead mom and making her into a "mammy" is all the more fucking dumb.

So many people here discussing what's going on under the surface of the joke, poking fun at Kanye's ego and melodrama, and there are jokes you can do with that and make it funny. But they went here instead because...because it's gross?
I'm not defending this, this did go too far imo. However, I know better than getting outraged at South park 20 years later.

Dynasty

Bit mean spirited mocking Kanye's dead mother.

Trailer wasnt that good but still looking forward to the game though.

8bit

Knows the Score
This looks like a hot mess incoming, quite surprised at tone of recent reveals and do wonder if there is worse to come.

Ahasverus

So homophobic and racist jokes are ok, because you don't like someone.

That's some wild shit homie
He asked why do people hate Kanye West. Nobody here is saying "he deserves that joke"!.

And, actually, I didn't see the black face until it was pointed out in this thread. That's some racist shit.
I'm guessing a digital code right?
I actually don't know. They possibly can fit both games on disc., I don't think it's heavy on assets.

Making fun of Kanye and his ridiculous game is fine. Fix the mammy fish, though. I doubt that was intentional, but it looks real bad.

I don't think there's anybody here defending the joke.

Well you are.

I was specifically responding to a post asking how JeTmAn81 thought that these jokes were fair play because it's Kanye.

I don't see the reason for listing Kanye's shortcomings if not to justify the jokes.

It don't make sense otherwise.

I’m not lecturing you, enjoy what you want. But if you’re gonna go to bat for literal blackface, please be aware of what that says about you as a person.

To back this up, Glass Shark, you weren't telling people what is or isn't funny. You were telling people that using black face to lampoon black people in media is racist. Which, I mean, c'mon. Duh.

Zero315

Banned
And yet people jumped on me in the ESRB thread when I said I was giving the game side eye about its handling of racial issues.

Looks like this game is gonna be a hard pass for me.

He asked why do people hate Kanye West. Nobody here is saying "he deserves that joke"!.

And, actually, I didn't see the black face until it was pointed out in this thread. That's some racist shit.

I actually don't know. They possibly can fit both games on disc., I don't think it's heavy on assets.

Having both on the disc would be neat. If not then I'll just get SoT on PS3.

That was pretty fucking great. lmao

I'll have to pick this up I guess, especially since Stick is free with it and I haven't played that either.

And yet people jumped on me in the ESRB thread when I said I was giving the game side eye about its handling of racial issues.

Looks like this game is gonna be a hard pass for me.

You're not the only one. Not giving Trey and Matt a single cent for that shit they decided to put into the game because they thought it was funny. Funny my black ass.....

_h8bit

Banned
Don't quite understand the "well he defends bill cosby and supports trump" statements either.

They're not making fun of him for either of these things. They should! Instead they did this.

sensui-tomo

Tasteless attempt at humor and is odd considering how well their humor is. Maybe context will answer reasoning behind it but man is it insulting. *The mammy part and going after someone's dead mom*

They made no effort to make the fish look like Donda West.
The design isn't an 'accident.'
They made a mammy fish.

Maybe, but maybe they just tried to make a generic cartoon female fish. Our biases and preconceptions shape the way we interpret the world around us. I am not saying you are wrong, but I also would not be so sure of myself. I do not think Trey and Matt are racists, so maybe it was unintentional, but maybe it was pointless "edginess". That seems to be a lot what the show has become over the last five to ten years. Still, there is no doubt about the resemblance. So if this impression gets back to them (and I won't be surprised if it did), lets see if they change its appearance.

Also, the male fish does not look like Kanye either; they clearly made no effort there (minus the chain). Maybe they shouldn't have even tried, and instead just had two generic looking cartoon fish; that might have made the gag better.

What was the joke Kanye made? I’m not getting this at all.

South Park had an episode in Season 13 where they again retreated to the 'loud, insecure celebrity is actually a closeted gay man' well of jokes (having done so earlier with Tom Cruise/John Travolta in Season 9), but this time it was a B-Story about Cartman stealing a 'gay fish' joke from Jimmy, only to also have it stolen from him by Carlos Mencia, who tells it to Kanye. The whole joke boils down to 'Kanye has no sense of humor and is insecure about his closeted homosexuality.'

Now we've got a talking gay fish (minus all of the context about joke stealing and humorless celebrities) with a gold chain and a dead mom. Someone posted the context for the 'unicorn' video game on the first page. Now they've added a full-on mammy fish for no good reason. And we got clowns in here fronting like this is what South Park is and does and stop being outraged snowflakes omg.

Maybe, but maybe they just tried to make a generic cartoon female fish.

JzSlENr.jpg

I'm 40 years old. I have an idea who Keyne West is but only because he was made fun of in an older South Park episode ("the fishdicks" one). I couldn't name one song of him nor was I aware that his mother just died. Hence, I didn't 'get' the inappropriate joke about his mother, nor did I make a connection between the fish and her, let alone black people. For me, it was just a random fish on a farting unicorn.

So, please, do not confuse me finding this trailer 'awesome' with me defending the racist joke.

I'm stoked, the Stick of Truth was a hilarious game and pretty well paced. I'm sure the delays in the launch of this game will ensure just as much quality as the first game.

SheHateMe

Well that trailer did the opposite of what it was supposed to do: I'm now questioning my 2+ year pre-order.

I'm probably going to skip it.

What bothers me is that we can throw the "jokes at Kanye" out the window and still get a shit segment: if you made the son a green fish, why couldn't the mother be a green fish? And don't give me that shit that you wouldn't have known that she was his mom; I knew that was KW before a word popped out of his mouth.

That mammy fish is piss poor comedy. The whole thing is, outside of the see you soon joke, which was funny, can't front.

South Park has made me laugh a lot over the years, but this here is mean spirited and racist.

And go eat a dick if you look up the word mammy and come back and say it's not racist, it's just a joke.

Oh wow, they literally meant it when they said they were doing this segment back in the 2016 E3 conference @_@

Despite that, the "Wait, what the fuck does that suppose to mean?!" got a chuckle out of me.

I'm 40 years old. I have an idea who Keyne West is but only because he was made fun of in an older South Park episode ("the fishdicks" one). I couldn't name one song of him nor was I aware that his mother just died. Hence, I didn't 'get' the inappropriate joke about his mother, nor did I make a connection between the fish and her, let alone black people. For me, it was just a random fish on a farting unicorn.

So, please, do not confuse me finding this trailer 'awesome' with me defending the racist joke.

I'm not doubting you or anything but I wonder what you found "awesome" about that trailer since pretty much all of it require to know Kanye West and some of his antics.

Bad7667

I remember when Matt and Trey were at the ubi e3 press conference a couple years ago and they were making fun of Kanye's game about his Mom and it feeling really mean and made me uncomfortable.

This trailer is the same shit but worse with that blackface fish. Only funny part was the "see you soon" joke.

I really like South Park but man this trailer was fucked.

Ahasverus

Well you are.

I was specifically responding to a post asking how JeTmAn81 thought that these jokes were fair play because it's Kanye.

I don't see the reason for listing Kanye's shortcomings if not to justify the jokes.

It don't make sense otherwise.
I think the joke is super fucked up, don't put words in my mouth.

Top Bottom