• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

mjp2417

Banned
Not what I was responding to. The poster I quoted specifically mentioned NFL players won't kneel because they're not NBA players. I'm an avid NBA fan. They didn't kneel last year.

I mean, I think maybe the 5 most consequential people in the league (LeBron/KD/Steph/Pop/Kerr) regularly telling Trump to go fuck himself carries more weight re: where things stand than an unemployed backup QB (though given his marginal status, it obviously took more risk/courage on Kap's part). The two leagues are simply worlds apart socio-politically. This isn't really arguable. Kneeling is ultimately just a symbolic proxy for "America, what the fuck." Pop, who is very white and very much part of the NBA's power structure, does that in very literal terms and he is celebrated for it. That is basically incomprehensible in the NFL.

Nitsuj23

I mean, I think maybe the 5 most consequential people in the league (LeBron/KD/Steph/Pop/Kerr) regularly telling Trump to go fuck himself carries more weight re: where things stand than an unemployed backup QB (though given his marginal status, it obviously took more risk/courage on Kap's part). The two leagues are simply worlds apart socio-politically. This isn't really arguable. Kneeling is ultimately just a symbolic proxy for "America, what the fuck." Pop, who is very white and very much part of the NBA's power structure, does that in very literal forms and he is celebrated for it. That is basically incomprehensible in the NFL.

I have trouble reconciling his symbolic what the fuck with his actual equating of Trump to Hillary.

Nitsuj23

I've already responded to this. If you've nothing else to offer other than this attempt to gaslight me, than I'm done with you.

I was just trying to understand why you used the NBA as an example of why every player won't kneel when literally not even one player in the NBA knelt last season. It's like you just assumed because there are more black people they all must be kneeling. It was weird. As someone that watches the NBA every night, I want to make you aware that's a bad comparison since NBA players haven't been kneeling.

I was just trying to understand why you used the NBA as an example of why every player won't kneel when literally not even one player in the NBA knelt last season. It's like you just assumed because there are more black people they all must be kneeling. It was weird. As someone that watches the NBA every night, I want to make you aware that's a bad comparison since NBA players haven't been kneeling.

This conversation might have gone somewhere if you had started with this instead of doing whatever it was you were doing. I know NBA players weren't kneeling, but NBA players are different demographically other than just race and there isn't the same contingent of conservative/racist white Americans that are on NFL teams. As I stated earlier it's not difficult to imagine a NBA team collectively doing something in protest to Trump, but that is not going to happen in the NFL.

Nitsuj23

This conversation might have gone somewhere if you had started with this instead of doing whatever it was you were doing. I know NBA players weren't kneeling, but NBA players are different demographically other than just race and there isn't the same contingent of conservative/racist white Americans that are on NFL teams. As I stated earlier it's not difficult to imagine a NBA team collectively doing something in protest to Trump, but that is not going to happen in the NFL.

Teams are also 15 people, not 53. Much easier to get 15 people to agree on something. Some teams don't even keep a 15 man roster. But yes, 15 x 30 is much less than 53 x 32 so it would theoretically be more likely get an NBA team to do something in unison. And that is how I started. I just thought it was ill informed to use NBA players as an example of kneeling in unison when none have knelt. The NFL is ~70% black, though. So if we have ~25-30% white players, imagine ~35-50% of them are Trump supporters. It's really just a numbers game. There are more people so of course there are more Trump supporters.

There is a weird culture among coaches and owners in the NFL that seems overtly Trump, but I could just be judging based on looks since I don't really know many coordinator's or coach's personalities.

I just checked, 74% of NBA players are black. So statistically insignificant from the percentage of black players in the NFL. It's just there are more people overall. I think that's what makes unison more difficult. Not that the NFL players are inherently more racist. Imagine if the NBA had more players, we'd get more people like Spencer Hawes (ewww).

JABEE

To think, it’s been a full year since Kaep started the protests and racist white people are STILL stark-raving mad about it.

It's almost as if Kaepernick's violation of a single social norm brought attention to a huge issue in this country.

Kelsdesu

The president, ladies and gentlemen. Taking a knee is more offensive to the USA than being a Nazi.

All this Nazi fuck shit. I haven't heard much out of the Jewish community. Maybe Im not looking hard enough, or maybe they know these dipshits aint really about that life

KissVibes

Banned
I don't know whats more absurd, him saying this or him saying that we need a transparent wall because drug smugglers have catapults and they'll fling drugs over that'll bean someone in the fuckin' head like a gag in a Seth Rogen/James Franco stoner comedy.

I'm starting to think his plan is to eventually claim that either

A) The wall was metaphorical
B) That the wall is so transparent that it is practically invisible, oh and you can walk through it because it doesn't fucking exist.

Someone really needs to get him and his priorities in check. He spends the week throwing himself jerk off rallies where he spews shit all over white, bigoted america and those that voted against themselves, then on the weekends he plays golf. It's like a huge PR tour, but the PR is all negative.

Seeing some comments at some of the sports sites in response to this reminds me why I have slowly and slowly lost interest in the NFL. Some aspects of its culture and fans are just terrible, and Trump's comments are just an embodiment of those terrible aspects.

Teams are also 15 people, not 53. Much easier to get 15 people to agree on something. Some teams don't even keep a 15 man roster. But yes, 15 x 30 is much less than 53 x 32 so it would theoretically be more likely get an NBA team to do something in unison. And that is how I started. I just thought it was ill informed to use NBA players as an example of kneeling in unison when none have knelt. The NFL is ~70% black, though. So if we have ~25-30% white players, imagine ~35-50% of them are Trump supporters. It's really just a numbers game. There are more people so of course there are more Trump supporters.

There is a weird culture among coaches and owners in the NFL that seems overtly Trump, but I could just be judging based on looks since I don't really know many coordinators or coaches personalities.

Dude his original comment was just a reference to the NBA being far more progressive and liberal leaning than the NFL. Why are you so hung up on this?

Nitsuj23

Seeing some comments at some of the sports sites in response to this reminds me why I have slowly and slowly lost interest in the NFL. Some aspects of its culture and fans are just terrible.

Dude his original comment was just a reference to the NBA being far more progressive and liberal leaning than the NFL. Why are you so hung up on this?

Because I think it's an easy thing to say but not factually accurate. That's why. Donald Sterling was an owner. He would still be if not for recordings.

They gotta eat, so I doubt it, but man would that shit be crazy.

This doesn't make any sense. Every single one of the black players kneeling doesn't effect their ability to still be professional athletes. They're not gonna cut them all if they all stand together. It just isn't going to happen.

We have so much power, and just...ugh.

Are you serious?

Here is the post your responded to:

With this statement:

So someone is asking the chances every NFL player will kneel. You respond with, "this isn't the NBA". That doesn't imply that NBA players have knelt? You can't be serious. Why else would you bring up NBA players when the poster mentions a unanimous kneeling?

Dude. You read into it wrong. Literally everyone else here understands what he's saying. The NBA is full of players that are encouraged to take part in social activism, and the ratio of black players to others is higher than it is in the NFL. There is a therefore a much higher hence of every NBA player kneeling than every NFL player. The biggest stars in the NBA routinely getting in front of cameras and calling Trump a dickhead while some of the biggest names in football keep telling Kaep to shut up and play ball is all you really need to point to here.

You're wrong. It's ok. Really.

Seeing some comments at some of the sports sites in response to this reminds me why I have slowly and slowly lost interest in the NFL. Some aspects of its culture and fans are just terrible, and Trump's comments are just an embodiment of those terrible aspects.

NBA is so progressive and liberal, that the only guy who openly protested the flag got blackballed out of the league. And that player was in his prime at the time. Going from 19/8 to riding the bench in Sacramento behind scrubs and then getting kicked out was not a good look for the NBA.

NBA is so progressive and liberal, that the only guy who openly protested the flag got blackballed out of the league. And that player was in his prime at the time. Going from 19/8 to riding the bench in Sacramento behind scrubs and then getting kicked out was not a good look for the NBA.
The league is in a different place since the Stern years.

Apt101

In a sane world Trump would have already destroyed any credibility the GOP had for the next generation. But man are GOP voters stupid, so they're probably eating this up.

On a side note, I am not the least bit surprised that the racist cartoon of a president veered off into criticizing black guys exercising one of their basic freedoms, something we typically applaud in the US (protest in the name of freedom and justice).

Saya

I just can't believe this is not blowing up everywhere. The US President called a fellow citizen a son of a bitch.

The league is in a different place since the Stern years.

Well, let's have a borderline all star player who is also a muslim sit down during the anthem and we'll see how much things have changed. Something tells me not that much. There would be enough outside pressure that the player would have a hard time finding a team after his contract ran out.

And to be fair Mahmoud started having issues with the Nuggets the second he changed his name and way before the flag incident. Every time the Nuggets had a losing streak they would bench him for few games, but somehow Bryant Stith was always in the lineup. If you could measure basketball IQ with some test I'm sure Stith would be the first person ever with a zero score. He made Nuggets games unwatchable, no matter how good the team was playing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just can't believe this is not blowing up everywhere. The US President called a fellow citizen a son of a bitch.
This is the guy that was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault. You should be more concerned on the suggestion that people who exercise 1st Amendment rights should be ostracised.

Apathy

I can't wait for that one day how mind wanders too far from his speech script and he forgets himself and just uses the n-word like we all know he does. Fuck this cunt.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ieK3NcL.gif

I cant even think of something funny to say

The office of the president loses more and more prestige with each passing day. People just can't keep their outrage levels that high without losing their minds, so they lower their expectations.

He's not even a real President. He's like some kind of art project collectively put on in protest by the majority of stupid, clueless white people.

This is really, sincerely the best definition of trump i've ever read. Incredibly accurate.

It's contemporary art built by ignorant and despicable man-children and self-hating women powered by hate groups and moderates.

All this Nazi fuck shit. I haven't heard much out of the Jewish community. Maybe Im not looking hard enough, or maybe they know these dipshits aint really about that life
The JCPA has been pretty vocal AFAIK. So yeah, I think it’s a case of not looking hard enough honestly.

The President of the United States of America:

-Doesnt call out the KKK and Nazis at his rallies after their racially motivated violence and murder.

-Calls people silently protesting against brutality and racism in the police force "sons of bitches".

How historically American. Definitely looking "great again".

FStubbs

I think he’s implying that NBA players are more likely to protest league wide than NFL players... I mean you already have some NFL and ex-NFL black players saying that this protest is a load of crap and they should know their place plus Kaepernick ain’t black enough for them too...

The NFL has always been more of a plantation than the NBA. A lot more guys who are from backgrounds where despite being black, believe in white supremacy, grilled into them by white coaches from the time they were small. Want a quick look into how this works? Jonathan Martin. Here you had a black guy who wasn't "black" enough, and when bigoted Richie Incognito came after him because he was too "uppity", the black players sided with Incognito.

Look at how the Redskins players refused to play for RG3 but played their butts off for Kirk Cousins.

The NFL is taking its stand and it is standing with white supremacy by blackballing Kaepernick. That next CBA is going to be really interesting.

BriGuy

I hope more players take the knee. Actually, I hope they all just outright refuse to go on the field altogether. Maybe that would help ease their message through thick skulls.

ehh I don't think the content of his words was a problem (Obama called Kanye a jackass just a few years ago), it was why he said it (to put down what Kaepernick was standing...kneeling for) that is the huge issue here.

Top Bottom