• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

gpn

Have any of you made a japanese account and tried the vr games there? There seems to be several we dont have. Curious to see what the word is here.

The only one I've tried so far is the Shin Godzilla experience. It's very short and all you can do is look around. That said, I found it pretty cool to be smack dab in a burning city in the middle of a Godzilla attack. It's whetted my appetite for more and I hope the new City Shrouded in Shadow game has a PSVR mode.

joeblow

One small request: the news updates are awesome, but can they always be posted with the full game title as well? I have no idea what DWVR is (no link to find out either), and sometimes we don't get any name at all. Thanks for the hard work, though.

joeblow

Lol, my mistake. It's just I noticed other posts with no game title and wondered what was being talked about, so this one got me to comment.

wondermega

Went into best buy to look for metroid. They didn't have it but they DID have an aim - I grabbed the last one in stock! Very excited to finally try my hand at Far point, and dick Wilde this weekend.
EDIT: cautiously optimistic about GT as well. Even with just one car (for fucking shame polyphony) it just looks so good..

Just wanna say, I've been loving Solus Project on PSVR these past few days. Full open world exploration,survival gameplay, day/night cycle, great weather effects and awesome locomotion with the Move controllers.

I recommend it to anyone looking for a full game!

MattAces

Raw Data PSVR port info:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437180

Incidentally, to do joystick locomotion on PSVR, which has no joystick, the team tried a “backpedal” button — and it works well enough that the game will ship with it. “Our biggest challenge to date was porting to PSVR, because we didn’t plan for it,” added McTyre. Silkin agreed and explained that because of that, there was a lot of reworking that had to be done.

“We had a lot of issue with performance, mostly; we’re CPU-bound,” said Silkin. “Sony is very strict about performance; they don’t want you to get their customers sick.” “Other importants things about PlayStation, besides not having a joystick, is that there’s no grab buton,” said McTyre. “So we actually had to change up our control scheme quite a bit.”

“One nice advantage? There’s a lot of buttons!” McTyre added. “We were very happy to have a lot of buttons to play with.”

To optimize for the PS4 and PSVR, the Raw Data team switched over to a forward renderer and did some aggressive changes to the game’s levle of detail — not only on assets, but on enemy animations (decreasing quality when they’re far away, or behind the player), enemy count, and other aspects of the game.

The game’s biggest cost was enemies moving around the world, “so we just kinda refactored our systems to not have as many things attached” to things in the world. After a lot of time and effort, they had something that could stand by itself on PSVR.

MattAces

Another cooking game baby!
ChefU VR will be coming to PSVR in about a month.
https://twitter.com/lockemreality/status/911410913172799490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMafkCnjcs

2Rzw0v.gif

ss_b6b6cb047e1b111447dd31847c401bf415607fae.600x338.jpg

DKRinzkU8AA6jXs.jpg

16BitNova

Anyone got any recommendations for good/best space games on PSVR?

I see a lot of options but I dont really want to spend my money and hope its one of the good ones. I love space stuff and Im just looking for something to kind of make me amazed at the scope of everything. I remember trying the EVE Valkerie demo and I loved the part where the huge freighter ship comes in view. The sense of scale was amazing. So I'm considering EVE because of that. Just wondering if anyone knows of any other space games with similar feels and amazing sense of scale.

valeu

Anyone got any recommendations for good/best space games on PSVR?

I see a lot of options but I dont really want to spend my money and hope its one of the good ones. I love space stuff and Im just looking for something to kind of make me amazed at the scope of everything. I remember trying the EVE Valkerie demo and I loved the part where the huge freighter ship comes in view. The sense of scale was amazing. So I'm considering EVE because of that. Just wondering if anyone knows of any other space games with similar feels and amazing sense of scale.
eve:valkyrie is best - bigger scale. end space is fun also, but more simple

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ugh.. When I first of Voltron for VR here on GAF, I thought it was the old Voltron. :(

I know nothing about this series remake.

Game looks good though. Scale looks crazy when you look up to Blue Lion.

I haven't watched it but I think that the lion and gestalt designs are easily better than the originals.

How low do you guys predict the PSVR price will go during Black Friday? The full bundle (which is what I would need) is currently $580 CAD after the recent price drop on Sept. 1. That's a nice drop from the insane $700 CAD it cost at launch but still too much for me. I would probably need $500 CAD to consider biting. Does that seem possible?

It's still looking light on must have games, but much better than launch last Fall. By the end of this year, this is the library of notable games waiting for new PSVR owners:

- Resident Evil 7
- Batman VR
- Moss
- Superhot
- Farpoint 
- Thumper
- Skyrim VR
- Eagle Flight 
- RIGS
- Job Simulator

Any important ones missing from that list?

MattAces

How low do you guys predict the PSVR price will go during Black Friday? The full bundle (which is what I would need) is currently $580 CAD after the recent price drop on Sept. 1. That's a nice drop from the insane $700 CAD it cost at launch but still too much for me. I would probably need $500 CAD to consider biting. Does that seem possible?

It's still looking light on must have games, but much better than launch last Fall. By the end of this year, this is the library of notable games waiting for new PSVR owners:

- Resident Evil 7
- Batman VR
- Moss
- Superhot
- Farpoint 
- Thumper
- Skyrim VR
- Eagle Flight 
- RIGS
- Job Simulator

Any important ones missing from that list?

Some of them are definitely considered as gen 1 games, they're great during launch but there's much better games now. Like Eagle Flight and Job Simulator.
Batman VR is alright, if you're a fan of Batman, definitely give it a go.
There's a whole lot of smaller fantastic titles, I would put Statik as a must.
Dick Wilde being the best wave shooter.
Arizona Sunshine as a pretty full fledged game, especially if you are getting Aim controller.
SPARC, nothing but great reviews, but only if you're in EU/US.
Star Trek Bridge Crew, if you're into Star Trek of course.
Fantastic Contraption. people love it. I didn't buy it because they strip away the level editor.
Polybius, nothing but great review if you're into that type of game.
Mortal Blitz, short game, but one of the most polished "time crisis" rip off.
I Expect You To Die, fantastic puzzle game, not very long, but free content coming this October.

Upcoming
Bravo Team or Inpatient are promising upcoming titles.
Raw Data if the port turns out to be great.
Megaton Rainfall if it turns out to be great.
GT Sport, despite only 1v1, it will feature almost full cast of cars and tracks, which is awesome.
Monster of the deep FFXV, this gets a lot of hate, but many people who tried it loved it, including EZA. It's a pretty full game too.
Doom VFR is getting a lot of surprisingly good reception.
Ark Park, multiplayer museum, explore, puzzle, extra wave shooter, coming this december, I'm very interested in this.
Dimension Hunter, if it turns out to be great, no idea, it has Aim support.
Golem, it was said to be coming this year, maybe early next year.
The Persistence, coming this year (?), another promising game by Sony 2nd party studio.
Obduction, still waiting for that VR patch
No Heroes Allowed! VR, by Sony Japan studio, coming October.
Ace Combat 7, waiting for more info, but it was said to feature 10+ hours of content.
Diner Duo, cooking and TV co-op gameplay.
ChromaGun, inspired by Portal, this will support Aim and got a lot of fantastic review.

This is just a very short list of great games/upcoming. People seem to love Bloody Zombies, The Lost Bear got a lot of great reviews.

SomTervo

Just wanna say, I've been loving Solus Project on PSVR these past few days. Full open world exploration,survival gameplay, day/night cycle, great weather effects and awesome locomotion with the Move controllers.

I recommend it to anyone looking for a full game!

Thanks for the kind words - and glad you're enjoying it.

The 'full game' sentiment is an interesting one.

VR is a new medium and as such we should really be adjusting our preconceptions about what a game 'should be'. Indeed, VR lends itself very nicely to tight and engaging experiences, arguably more so than traditional monitor gaming.

That said, Solus seems to have absolutely hit a niche for 'virtual tourism'. Some people on Steam have like over 200 hours in it... They just love wandering the world, finding nooks and crannies, surviving, etc.

MattAces

Solus Project 1.01
"Good News Everyone!"
Solus Project has been updated to version 1.01;
Fix: Proper reaction to camera disconnected
Fix: Used controller models without Sony trademarks
Fix: Trophies triggered
Visual enhancements for VR mode

Loudninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr77ZRMAA4M
Gran Turismo Sport PlayStation VR Nürburgring Gameplay (PS4)
by DualShocker

Off screen looks really good.
The first thing I noticed as a complete newcomer to VR racing (besides a few laps on Driveclub VR last year), is that it does take a bit getting used to it, especially when it comes to getting your eyes off the track and on the dashboard. It’s rather easy to get distracted.

That being said, it was definitely an enjoyable experience, and this is probably one of the games (alongside Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner M∀RS) that is finally going to tip me over into buying my own headset, which I have procrastinated for quite a while now. I wish I had more time to familiarize myself with the experience, but unfortunately the timer was extra-strict.
https://www.dualshockers.com/gran-turismo-sport-playstation-vr-nurburgring/

J-Skee

One thing for sure now the PSVR is getting real good support.

I've changed my stance on it after TGS. I honestly thought it wouldn't last after the 2nd year, but now I see Zone of the Enders, GT Sport is looking better than I thought, I see nothing but good things about Raw Data & the Inpatient looks good as well. I may get a headset after all.

I've changed my stance on it after TGS. I honestly thought it wouldn't last after the 2nd year, but now I see Zone of the Enders, GT Sport is looking better than I thought, I see nothing but good things about Raw Data & the Inpatient looks good as well. I may get a headset after all.

Sony has been crazy aggressive in getting everyone to buy PSVR in my part of the world.
All the shops here in Singapore have an unofficial bundle which consists of the headset, the camera, 2 move controllers and a copy of VR worlds.

wapplew

For all the "disappointment" about TGS, it sure does delivered for PSVR owner.

MattAces

Ok seriously I need a sword game now. I can't wait October 10th, it's way too long.
I might get DWVR, it has Sword and Aim support. Also the shooting looks and sounds satisfying.

Any End Space impressions?

Looks pretty decent and I'm about to pull the trigger out of curiosity. I already own Eve (really fantastic but hard and pretty much online only) and that other shitty space game who's name escapes me (way too short and simple).

Love something with a decent campaign to play through.

Huh. I just found out The Inpatient supports PSMove.
Now I'm kind of interested, but any horror games are usually disqualified from my list.

Well Supermassive Games has always been one of the biggest supporters of PS Move. Until Dawn is one of their only PlayStation games (or games in general) that doesn't support Move, yet Move was an integral part of the game when it was announced for PS3 (obviously a lot changed by the time it released on PS4).

Move games they've released/are developing:
Tumble
Start The Party!
Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves
Start the Party! Save the World
Walking with Dinosaurs (Wonderbook)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PSVR)
Tumble VR (PSVR)
The Impatient (PSVR)
Bravo Team (PSVR) (probably)

With all but one of their games being found on PlayStation consoles (that one game being Big Match Strikers on PC) and all but one of their PlayStation released games being published by Sony (that one game being Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock), I could see Sony eventually acquiring Supermassive Games.

MattAces

Well Supermassive Games has always been one of the biggest supporters of PS Move. Until Dawn is one of their only PlayStation games (or games in general) that doesn't support Move, yet Move was an integral part of the game when it was announced for PS3 (obviously a lot changed by the time it released on PS4).

Move games they've released/are developing:
Tumble
Start The Party!
Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves
Start the Party! Save the World
Walking with Dinosaurs (Wonderbook)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PSVR)
Tumble VR (PSVR)
The Impatient (PSVR)
Bravo Team (PSVR) (probably)

Oh yea, just noticed that.
And yea, Bravo Team does support Move.

Looks pretty decent and I'm about to pull the trigger out of curiosity. I already own Eve (really fantastic but hard and pretty much online only) and that other shitty space game who's name escapes me (way too short and simple).

I've played the first half hour or so. It feels kind of a cross between EVE Valkyrie and COD Jackal Assault. Looks quite nice, with good backgrounds and explosions. Missions have been fairly simplistic so far, but it seemed to ramp up quite quickly on stage 5 (?) with a ton of enemies to combat. How it goes beyond that is hard to say until I get chance to put some more time in.

Some gameplay from the early part of the game here -
https://youtu.be/XoE0_LoCRho

Huh. I just found out The Inpatient supports PSMove.
Now I'm kind of interested, but any horror games are usually disqualified from my list.

Yeah, full locomotion with Move. Hold down left controller [move] button to walk forwards. Hold down right controller [move] button and flick your hand left or right to turn in that direction.

valeu

there are missions in sequence. each have different objectives. the graphics are great and it controls well. the scale is simple, i.e. the levels are compact. you are not shot at by enemies for quite a few missions in the beginning but things get harder. if you keep your expectation in check (it was made by 2 people i believe and started out as a cellphone game) you will have some fun with it

The numbers are perhaps open to interpretation, but 10 million PlayStation VR compatible games have now been sold.

http://www.sankei.com/smp/economy/news/170922/ecn1709220026-s1.html

Translation -

PSVR compatible game Over 10 million books SIE's house president 

On Saturday, Sony's game subsidiary, Andrew House President of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), in response to the interview with Sankei Shimbun, on the virtual reality (VR) terminal "PlayStation (PS) VR" released last October, The number of sales of compatible game software including distribution has reached the cumulative total of 10 million pieces.

PSVR is a goggle type terminal that connects to the company 's game machine "PS 4" to enjoy VR games, has sold 1 million units so far, and sales of game software are also good. Mr. Haus said, "I would like to increase content and give momentum to increasing sales."

The development of the game software for VR is currently focused on Indie's work produced by a small team, "I want to have a major production company enter the next step." Advance expansion of contents other than games such as music videos and movie VR version.

On October 14, the SIE will sell the set price with PSVR body etc. by 5 thousand yen and payment of 49,980 yen (tax excluded). PSVR has continued to be in short supply, mainly in Japan, but said it wanted to make a stable supply system by increasing production.

Does that figure include every copy of RE7? How much did that sell?

Honestly, I'd expect it to be higher, given how many PSVR games I own. Must be lots of people who only have demos.

This is the thing. Does it include all PS4 copies of RE7? What about Rise of the Tomb Raider, or even Battlefront. (That was DLC, so probably not)

Like I said, open to interpretation. That being said, something like approaching 12% of total Resident Evil 7 players played in VR - massively more than proportion of PSVR to non-PSVR owners, so clearly VR was a big driver for the game.

It's a nice PR figure to throw around though.

MattAces

HOLY SHIT I just tried Bound: Shattered Kingdom
How did they do that? It's mind blowing.
The graphic is perfect. This might be the sharpest most beautiful game yet.
The moment the game begins, the graphic blew me away.
Sound and music is so damn good, the animation is perfect. I enjoy the game so much, this is such an underrated gem. So so good. This is shooting up in my list to be one of my favorite VR game yet.

Don't think I have seen it posted but Tequila Works (Rime, The Sexy Brutale, Deadlight) VR game The Invisible Hours is out on the 10th October. $29.99/€29.99.

From previews it appears to be a murder mystery game were you can manipulate time to rewatch events to solve the murder.

iJack

Banned
I love my PS4. I don't feel the need to update to Pro since I'm not buying a 4k tv anytime soon. With that said, I couldn't care less for VR, either on PC or PS4. Way too little of a catalogue for me to care. I guess that I'd like to play RE7 and Batman, but that's it. I'll eventually get one from a friend that own a videogame store and play those, but so far, that's it.

I love my PS4. I don't feel the need to update to Pro since I'm not buying a 4k tv anytime soon. With that said, I couldn't care less for VR, either on PC or PS4. Way too little of a catalogue for me to care. I guess that I'd like to play RE7 and Batman, but that's it. I'll eventually get one from a friend that own a videogame store and play those, but so far, that's it.

Great to know…

MattAces

Uhm okay?

Top Bottom