• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

RedSwirl

So after my 1070 shut down (I think, all I know is my HDMI signal went out) twice last week (the second time accompanied by jet-engine level fan noise) I played a little over an hour of Dishonored 2 tonight while monitoring the temperature, and I got nothing out of the ordinary.

The two times the problem occurred so far were after I'd been playing Prey for maybe an hour. In Dishonored 2 GPU temps barely cracked 60C, which is pretty normal I guess. GPUs are only supposed to shut down after they go past like 95C right? I've seen it happen once before but it was because of a dust-chocked fan, which I didn't notice here.

It's late so maybe I'll try Prey again tomorrow, or some other demanding PC game.

Edit: Unrelated, but while dusting the inside of my PC I found I do indeed have ports left on my Mobo, so I'm gonna toss an SD card drive in there. Are there any brands I need to know about or avoid? Should I get a separate SATA cable or anything?

AAMARMO

Banned
Hey, people im on the edge of the fence on upgrading my GPU that is a Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 G1 Gaming. Should I wait for the new rumored Volta cards?

Recently most of the newer games I have played are making my GPU temp to 75° to 80°.

Quick upgrade question for those smarter than me.

My son has a dual monitor setup- one is 1080p and one 720p. I thought about getting him a larger 2k monitor, and getting rid of the 720p one. However, from some quick reading, it sounds like his graphics card would struggle with it, its a r9 380 2gb. Sounds like I should upgrade his card first? If so is it easier to stick with AMD? I looked at the rx 580 8gb.

So would you upgrade card and then monitor? If so, recommendation and does it matter if I switch from AMD to Nvidia?

Yeah, that 380 would struggle mightily to game at 2k resolution. There's no reason specifically to stick with AMD over Nvidia, unless you but a Freesync monitor. Freesync = benefits AMD cards; GSync = benefits Nvidia cards. For 2K resolution, these days, the GTX 1070 is the minimum is recommend, with a GTX 1080 bring ideal, IMO.

Edit: Unrelated, but while dusting the inside of my PC I found I do indeed have ports left on my Mobo, so I'm gonna toss an SD card drive in there. Are there any brands I need to know about or avoid? Should I get a separate SATA cable or anything?

SD card? You mean an SSD? And if the ports that you have left are SATA ports, you'll want a 2.5" form factor SSD. You'll need two cables to make that SSD work: a SATA cable that goes from your motherboard to your SSD, and a SATA power cable that goes from your power supply to your SSD. These calls probably came with your motherboard and power supply, respectively.

Brand-wise, Samsung is king, but Mushkin, Crucial, Kingston, SanDisk, and Western Digital are all reliable these days. Keep an eye on the warranties between brands; some of the cheaper brands I've listed have shorter warranties.

Hey, people im on the edge of the fence on upgrading my GPU that is a Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 G1 Gaming. Should I wait for the new rumored Volta cards?

Recently most of the newer games I have played are making my GPU temp to 75° to 80°.

Before your replace it due to the heat, have you tried cleaning out any dust in your case?

Yes, I have.

Ah ok. Well as a note, 75-80 isn't dangerous for most GPUs I believe, but I'm guessing the fans are running pretty loud at that point.

If low temperatures and noise are a concern for you, I highly recommend getting a water-cooled GPU. I modded my 1080 Ti by adding a 140 mm AIO and it is beautifully low-temp and also decently quieter. You can buy "hybrid" (basically factory liquid-cooled) 1080 and 1080 Ti cards if you don't want to do the modding yourself.

Alternatively, just get any modern GPU from a good brand and check thermal/noise benchmarks. Even air-cooled 1xxx-line Nvidia cards should do better than your 980.

Quick upgrade question for those smarter than me.

My son has a dual monitor setup- one is 1080p and one 720p. I thought about getting him a larger 2k monitor, and getting rid of the 720p one. However, from some quick reading, it sounds like his graphics card would struggle with it, its a r9 380 2gb. Sounds like I should upgrade his card first? If so is it easier to stick with AMD? I looked at the rx 580 8gb.

So would you upgrade card and then monitor? If so, recommendation and does it matter if I switch from AMD to Nvidia?
This isn't particularly helpful but I just want you to know that you're a cool dad

Duxxy3

After looking around a bit, that seems to be normal for that card.

Are you upgrading because you're worried it's going to die, or because you don't want a space heater in your computer?

Ted

hkk2TTy.jpg

Just had to share....

Holy shit I started ordering stuff! I'm buzzing way more than I should be given I have only ordered two parts so far but hey, you'll all forgive an enthusiastic n00b right?

The parts I've ordered are:

- Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 for the case (thanks for the suggestion LordAlu);
- Ryzen 5 1600 for the CPU.

Motherboard next. Pretty sure I'll go with LordAlu's suggestion here as well, so looking at the Asus PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

This building a PC lark is a blast!

https://i.imgur.com/hkk2TTy.jpg

Just had to share....

Holy shit I started ordering stuff! I'm buzzing way more than I should be given I have only ordered two parts so far but hey, you'll all forgive an enthusiastic n00b right?

The parts I've ordered are:

- Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 for the case (thanks for the suggestion LordAlu);
- Ryzen 5 1600 for the CPU.

Motherboard next. Pretty sure I'll go with LordAlu's suggestion here as well, so looking at the Asus PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

This building a PC lark is a blast!

Welcome aboard! Any thoughts on your GPU, PSU, or RAM yet?

75-80C is totally fine for a GPU. If you want more performance then go for it, though I might be inclined to wait myself. Just depends on your needs.

RedSwirl

SD card? You mean an SSD? And if the ports that you have left are SATA ports, you'll want a 2.5" form factor SSD. You'll need two cables to make that SSD work: a SATA cable that goes from your motherboard to your SSD, and a SATA power cable that goes from your power supply to your SSD. These calls probably came with your motherboard and power supply, respectively.

Brand-wise, Samsung is king, but Mushkin, Crucial, Kingston, SanDisk, and Western Digital are all reliable these days. Keep an eye on the warranties between brands; some of the cheaper brands I've listed have shorter warranties.

No, SD card. As in an internal SD card reader.

So I need some help planning an upgrade for my PC. I'll try to be as detailed as possible:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080
CPU: i5 4690k
MOTHERBOARD: MSI H81M-E33
RAM: 8 GIG Ripjaws X
PSU: EVGA 500W
DISPLAY: 1080p 144hz

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to something that won't bottleneck my GPU as much at high framerates. I recognize that this will require some swapping out of other parts, but I was hoping y'all could help me identify what all would need to be changed and some suitable upgrades/parts. I'm not overly concerned about budget, as I'm just trying to map out a plan right now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

So I need some help planning an upgrade for my PC. I'll try to be as detailed as possible:

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to something that won't bottleneck my GPU as much. I recognize that this will require some swapping out of other parts, but I was hoping y'all could help me identify what all would need to be changed and some suitable upgrades/parts. I'm not overly concerned about budget, as I'm just trying to map out a plan right now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

What resolution/refresh rate do you play at? Is your CPU overclocked? TBH I don't think you're going to see a big jump from replacing your CPU, unless maybe you play a couple specific CPU-heavy games.

But if you do want to replace it, I'd be eyeing up the 8700k when it comes out next month.

What resolution/refresh rate do you play at? Is your CPU overclocked? TBH I don't think you're going to see a big jump from replacing your CPU, unless maybe you play a couple specific CPU-heavy games.

But if you do want to replace it, I'd be eyeing up the 8700k when it comes out next month.

Ah yes, I completely forgot to add that. I play at 1080p 144hz. My CPU is not overclocked (I know, I'm lame). I'll look into that CPU! Thanks!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to something that won't bottleneck my GPU as much. I recognize that this will require some swapping out of other parts, but I was hoping y'all could help me identify what all would need to be changed and some suitable upgrades/parts. I'm not overly concerned about budget, as I'm just trying to map out a plan right now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

your CPU is struggling? i would imagine it should still perform fine.

at this point if you're gonna upgrade then i'd wait for 6 or 8 core CPUs. coffeelake is 6 core and supposedly the ones after that will be 8 core.

edit* nvm just seen you play at 144hz. wait for new cpus then. if it's within your budget i'd recommend trying to get 32GB over 16GB. i have 16GB and it's fine but ideally i'd have 32GB as some games can easily hit 10GB.

your CPU is struggling? i would imagine it should still perform fine.

at this point if you're gonna upgrade then i'd wait for 6 or 8 core CPUs. coffeelake is 6 core and supposedly the ones after that will be 8 core.

edit* nvm just seen you play at 144hz. wait for new cpus then. if it's within your budget i'd recommend trying to get 32GB over 16GB. i have 16GB and it's fine but ideally i'd have 32GB as some games can easily hit 10GB.

What about my motherboard? I imagine I'll need to change that to accommodate for the CPU change.

Ted

Welcome aboard! Any thoughts on your GPU, PSU, or RAM yet?

Thanks Soka! I'm solid on some things and still undecided on others. Any advice from yourself or the thread are always much appreciated.

For GPU a 1060 of some type, I'm keeping an eye on prices and slowly getting through reviews. Now I have a case I also have dimensions so can make a slightly more informed choice.

For a PSU LordAlu recommended checking out this tier list. I was looking at a recommended EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply in Tier 3 but saw a note in the aforementioned tier list about sleeve-bearing fans failing in a horizontal mounting position that applied to this PSU. When I get the case I'll check how this would have to be mounted and then do a bit further research if necessary. There's an EVGA B2 550W variant that only appears to be about £20 more and that appears to be up in Tier 1.

RAM, I'm not sure about. I think from advice from this thread that I should look for 3,000mhz, dual channel. The recommended part was the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory but I think this might be two 4GB sticks that will take up two slots on the MB but I'm not sure if the 2 x 4gb in the name specifically refers to two pieces of ram, or two 4 gb blocks on a single stick? Yep, I'm new to this! If the former is the case I wondered if I would be better off getting a single 8GB stick so that in the future if I wanted to upgrade I could just buy a matching 8GB stick rather than having to replace the 2 x 4GB sticks. Still a lot of reading to do on this one!

My other current sticking point is HDD. Mechanical or SSD. If I go SSD I can't afford to go any bigger than 250GB and wonder if this will limit me going forward. I assume most [enthusiast] people put there OS and favourite games on the SSD but I'd quite like more space and I'm not sure if Steam can be manipulated to have some games on one drive and others on a different one. Loads of research still to do here!

Got my 1080ti today 8) now I can finish this up. Ended up grabbing the MSI 1080ti, wanted a cheaper one but I would've had to drive like 4 hours to get one so. Either way this one performs better and I guess I don't mind parting with the $40 for the difference between the two. Still don't have my monitor and might not for a week or so but I've got my TV and some shitty monitors around the house that I can do with for now. Just excited to finally have this shit done.

Thanks Soka! I'm solid on some things and still undecided on others. Any advice from yourself or the thread are always much appreciated.

For GPU a 1060 of some type, I'm keeping an eye on prices and slowly getting through reviews. Now I have a case I also have dimensions so can make a slightly more informed choice.

For a PSU LordAlu recommended checking out this tier list. I was looking at a recommended EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply in Tier 3 but saw a note in the aforementioned tier list about sleeve-bearing fans failing in a horizontal mounting position that applied to this PSU. When I get the case I'll check how this would have to be mounted and then do a bit further research if necessary. There's an EVGA B2 550W variant that only appears to be about £20 more and that appears to be up in Tier 1.

RAM, I'm not sure about. I think from advice from this thread that I should look for 3,000mhz, dual channel. The recommended part was the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory but I think this might be two 4GB sticks that will take up two slots on the MB but I'm not sure if the 2 x 4gb in the name specifically refers to two pieces of ram, or two 4 gb blocks on a single stick? Yep, I'm new to this! If the former is the case I wondered if I would be better off getting a single 8GB stick so that in the future if I wanted to upgrade I could just buy a matching 8GB stick rather than having to replace the 2 x 4GB sticks. Still a lot of reading to do on this one!

My other current sticking point is HDD. Mechanical or SSD. If I go SSD I can't afford to go any bigger than 250GB and wonder if this will limit me going forward. I assume most [enthusiast] people put there OS and favourite games on the SSD but I'd quite like more space and I'm not sure if Steam can be manipulated to have some games on one drive and others on a different one. Loads of research still to do here!

Try to get a tier 2 or better PSU. My PSU, however, is tier 3, and has been solid on my Ryzen 1700/1080 Ti build... So obviously I'm not following my own advice. :)

The 1060 is a good card. Try to budget for the 6 GB variant if you can.

2x4 GB means you get two separate sticks, and each stick has a total of 4 GB of RAM, giving your system 8 GB of RAM overall. I'd do a single 8 GB stick personally, then buy a matching 8 GB stick down the line.

I'd go for a 250 GB SSD, then add a 1 TB HDD down the line. It'll be tight for a while storage-wise, but I am really partial to having an SSD as my main operating system (OS) drive.

I was thinking about going this route for my build, any suggestions or tweaks?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TygzQV

I am using this as a case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L825F1C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(didn't pay that price for the case though)

Great build. No major suggestions, except that you could probably cut down to a 650w PSU to save a few bucks but still have plenty of overhead.

kuYuri

DISPLAY: 1080p 144hz

I'd like to upgrade my CPU to something that won't bottleneck my GPU as much at high framerates. I recognize that this will require some swapping out of other parts, but I was hoping y'all could help me identify what all would need to be changed and some suitable upgrades/parts. I'm not overly concerned about budget, as I'm just trying to map out a plan right now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

You won't be able to overclock the CPU with that motherboard. If you can find a Z97 motherboard for a reasonable price, you can then install the CPU in it to then overclock it. That particular CPU shouldn't be a bottleneck and going this route will allow you to save money in the meantime for the next big real update. Of course, if you just have money that you want to blow, go right ahead, but try to wait for Intel's Coffee Lake launch in another month or so.

I was thinking about going this route for my build, any suggestions or tweaks?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TygzQV

I am using this as a case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L825F1C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(didn't pay that price for the case though)

I hope you are getting an RX 580 for a good price, cause the price I see there is ridiculously overpriced. Should be no more than $300, but due to mining, its fucked.

Otherwise, the build looks solid to me.

Gamble

I hope you are getting an RX 580 for a good price, cause the price I see there is ridiculously overpriced. Should be no more than $300, but due to mining, its fucked.

Sadly this price is all I could find available, everything that's 299 or less is sold out :-(

kuYuri

Sadly this price is all I could find available, everything that's 299 or less is sold out :-(

In that case, if you're willing to spend so much on one GPU, why not buy a GTX 1080? For the price of that RX 580, you can get a significantly more powerful GPU.

EDIT: What is this post below? lol

Gamble

Put everything together, powered it on and it all seems to be working, everything is on BUT the CPU fan. Should i be worried? Everything is on, lights up and works. Haven't hooked up a monitor or anything yet to actually try it out. Could the fan just be plugged into the wrong spot? Its plugged in where it says AMD LED fan but uh, lol.

Put everything together, powered it on and it all seems to be working, everything is on BUT the CPU fan. Should i be worried? Everything is on, lights up and works. Haven't hooked up a monitor or anything yet to actually try it out. Could the fan just be plugged into the wrong spot? Its plugged in where it says AMD LED fan but uh, lol.

If the fan on your CPU cooler isn't spinning turn the system off ASAP. It's probably gonna be fine but I wouldn't risk anything.

CHeck your mobo manual, might have plugged it into the wrong spot.

If the fan on your CPU cooler isn't spinning turn the system off ASAP. It's probably gonna be fine but I wouldn't risk anything.

CHeck your mobo manual, might have plugged it into the wrong spot.
Okay I see the issue. I've got the CPU fan power plugged into the LED. Its supposedly supposed to have two plugs one for LED and one for power but IIRC I only have one.

ss_lemonade

Does anyone know what causes 4k + HDR to produce an image that looks like it's been artificially sharpened up? When playing Resident Evil 7 and having HDR enabled, 2 things will randomly happen:

1. I get a perfect, clean image
2. I get an extremely sharpened up image with artifacts around edges. Hard to explain but like if I have monitoring software in display (rivatuner or msi gaming app osd), the text on them have white outlines around them

It's also really random because the simple action of going to the settings screen and backing out (forcing RE 7 to reload video settings for some reason even without making changes), I would either get scenario 1 or 2 above.

Got the cooler figured out though now I plugged my PC into my TV since I don't have my monitor yet and I'm not getting any feed. Tried both the Mobo and GPU HDMI

Got the cooler figured out though now I plugged my PC into my TV since I don't have my monitor yet and I'm not getting any feed. Tried both the Mobo and GPU HDMI

Dunno what video card you have but did you plug in the VGA power cable(s) from the PSU to the video card? Got the 8-pin ATX cable plugged in to the motherboard?

Could try a different cable as well, or different port if you have it (displayport, dvi, w/e).

Kambing

Want to pop in to say -- if you are considering a mouse, and wish it could be wireless, the Logitech G900/903 is the real fucking deal. It's only been 4 hours, but cutting the cord has increased my QoL with PC gaming. It's light, and hard to believe, but feels more responsive than my Steelseries. Pretty blown away guys.

Dunno what video card you have but did you plug in the VGA power cable(s) from the PSU to the video card? Got the 8-pin ATX cable plugged in to the motherboard?

Could try a different cable as well, or different port if you have it (displayport, dvi, w/e).
I've got a 1080ti and I did plug the GPU into the PSU but maybe I fucked up with connecting it to the Mobo since I don't recall doing that. I don't really know what I'm doing, but outside of that everything else works (so far) everything lights up so I assume its working.

jrush64

Banned
Installed new parts yesterday. DDR4 16gb ram, 1080 gtx, i7 7700k. PC is superfast now. Substance Painters runs smooth, all the games i've tried so far (FFXIII-2, Mafia 3) are running excellently.

I've got a 1080ti and I did plug the GPU into the PSU but maybe I fucked up with connecting it to the Mobo since I don't recall doing that. I don't really know what I'm doing, but outside of that everything else works (so far) everything lights up so I assume its working.

You should follow your motherboard's manual to make sure you plugged everything in. The motherboard should get a 24-pin ATX and 8-pin ATX.

The 1080 Ti is connected: 1) by putting it into a PCIe slot in your motherboard (make sure it's the correct slot; check your motherboard manual) and 2) via PCIe power cables from your PSU; most likely, you need two different 8-pin cables to power your 1080 Ti.

kuYuri

Did you seriously reply again to my other previous post? lol

Seriously, don't freaking pay $550 for an RX 580, you are literally throwing away money when you could instead put it towards a better GPU for the same price or less.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...48&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60

Less than $300 for similar performance to the RX 580

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601205646 600358543

RedSwirl

I played Prey for over an hour and not once did my GPU temps seem the slightest bit abnormal. The temp barely cracked 50C, so I'm becoming less and less sure my GPU shutdowns are heat-related.

Are they even GPU shutdowns? All I know is I lost video signal a couple times, and the second time a fan went off like crazy.

Edit: When I dusted off the inside of my PC recently (after the video signal losses) my CPU fan did look pretty dusty. I sprayed it with compressed air a bit but I'm not sure I thoroughly cleaned it. It's a stock cooler too. I stuck with it because it's a snap-on and I didn't intend to overclock anyway, at least not right away.

ss_lemonade

Does anyone know what causes 4k + HDR to produce an image that looks like it's been artificially sharpened up? When playing Resident Evil 7 and having HDR enabled, 2 things will randomly happen:

1. I get a perfect, clean image
2. I get an extremely sharpened up image with artifacts around edges. Hard to explain but like if I have monitoring software in display (rivatuner or msi gaming app osd), the text on them have white outlines around them

It's also really random because the simple action of going to the settings screen and backing out (forcing RE 7 to reload video settings for some reason even without making changes), I would either get scenario 1 or 2 above.

Anyone? This is what I'm talking about by the way

Broken
ERD8ZD5l.jpg

Fixed
sXPhAKPl.jpg

Sorry for the compressed images but the first image should be clear enough to see the problem. Both are with YCbCr420. The same issue happens randomly with Resident Evil 7, forcing me to get the game to reload it's video settings multiple times until it fixes itself.

Gamble

Did you seriously reply again to my other previous post? lol

Seriously, don't freaking pay $550 for an RX 580, you are literally throwing away money when you could instead put it towards a better GPU for the same price or less.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...48&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60

Less than $300 for similar performance to the RX 580

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601205646 600358543

Shit, I didn't realize I replied twice to that post lol! but NOOOOO I wasn't paying THAT much for it, best buy has the for 350-380 and so does my local microcenter

You should follow your motherboard's manual to make sure you plugged everything in. The motherboard should get a 24-pin ATX and 8-pin ATX.

The 1080 Ti is connected: 1) by putting it into a PCIe slot in your motherboard (make sure it's the correct slot; check your motherboard manual) and 2) via PCIe power cables from your PSU; most likely, you need two different 8-pin cables to power your 1080 Ti.
Just double checked and everything is in correctly
Everything lights up when turned on, mobo, CPU fan, case fans, case and GPU all turn on when the PC is turned on. Hope i didn't get a bad card or something.
Mobo LED's are lighting up too.

https://pasteboard.co/GLQPu8b.jpg
Im at a loss so ill let someone else handle this

Just double checked and everything is in correctly
Everything lights up when turned on, mobo, CPU fan, case fans, case and GPU all turn on when the PC is turned on. Hope i didn't get a bad card or something.
Mobo LED's are lighting up too.

https://pasteboard.co/GLQPu8b.jpg
Im at a loss so ill let someone else handle this

Always hard to tell in these pics, but do you have the 8-pin CPU power cable connected to your motherboard?

Do you have a different HDMI/DVI cable you can try? Are you sure you plugged the cable into your GPU output and not your motherboard output?

Can you try removing all your RAM sticks, then try just a single stick in each RAM slot? If that doesn't work, grab the other RAM stick and try it in each RAM slot.

Did you put the standoffs into your case before installing your motherboard (assuming your case required standoffs be installed)?

Always hard to tell in these pics, but do you have the 8-pin CPU power cable connected to your motherboard?

Do you have a different HDMI/DVI cable you can try? Are you sure you plugged the cable into your GPU output and not your motherboard output?

Can you try removing all your RAM sticks, then try just a single stick in each RAM slot? If that doesn't work, grab the other RAM stick and try it in each RAM slot.

Did you put the standoffs into your case before installing your motherboard (assuming your case required standoffs be installed)?

Fairly sure that would be the one on tbe top left of the Mobo.

Not at the moment, its the one I use with my PS4 which has worked fine with my PS4 for the most part, think I used it on my laptop once months ago. Going out to get one later today.

Will do

It already had some installed on the case so I assume it should be fine? I have 1 extra but I think it really just is an extra in case anything goes wrong.

I may or may not take it to someone later, but I hope none of my parts are fucked. Id be fairly upset if so.
But it would be odd considering that all of the parts light up and all the fans (including GPU spin). I did leave it on for a little while without the CPU fan going but it wasn't overly long, so I hope that didn't fuck it either.

kuYuri

Shit, I didn't realize I replied twice to that post lol! but NOOOOO I wasn't paying THAT much for it, best buy has the for 350-380 and so does my local microcenter

Ok, that's a bit better. Still, $350+ is still a bit high for that card, I would recommend a GTX 1060 that is less than $350 right now, performs about the same and sometimes better depending on the game. But again, up to you. If you have left over credit from those stores, than I guess it works out..

Ahahahahaha :')
Im an idiot
One of the power cables from the GPU to the PSU was just ever so slightly out.
Pushed it in slightly and it boots fine. Though its also missing one RAM stick, so I should probably put the other back in there.
So very relieved

Gamble

Ted

Good advice.

Thanks Soka. Much appreciated. Definitely going for the 6GB 1060 variant and I think I'm now set on an SSD for the OS and a few favourite games. Thanks again for the input. It really does make a difference!

Ahahahahaha :')
Im an idiot
One of the power cables from the GPU to the PSU was just ever so slightly out.
Pushed it in slightly and it boots fine. Though its also missing one RAM stick, so I should probably put the other back in there.
So very relieved

Hah! Yeah, "Is it plugged in and the power turned on?" solves a lot more tech problems that we'd like to admit. Glad you got it working.

Thanks Soka. Much appreciated. Definitely going for the 6GB 1060 variant and I think I'm now set on an SSD for the OS and a few favourite games. Thanks again for the input. It really does make a difference!

Happy to offer my opinion. Good luck with your part-buying and building!

the malus

Neo Member
After recently getting back into PC gaming, I guess it's time to upgrade my system:

CPU: i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
GPU: GTX 770
RAM: 2*4GB

I'm thinking of keeping the CPU and just upgrading the Graphics Card and RAM. I have a 1080p monitor but I intend to add a second monitor in the near future (possibly 1440p/4k).
Would the CPU be able to handle a GTX 1080? I haven't gotten around to overclock it yet but I may start now if it's necessary. And concerning the RAM: Would it be better to just add another tow 4GB sticks or replace them with two 8GB sticks?

ss_lemonade

After recently getting back into PC gaming, I guess it's time to upgrade my system:

CPU: i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
GPU: GTX 770
RAM: 2*4GB

I'm thinking of keeping the CPU and just upgrading the Graphics Card and RAM. I have a 1080p monitor but I intend to add a second monitor in the near future (possibly 1440p/4k).
Would the CPU be able to handle a GTX 1080? I haven't gotten around to overclock it yet but I may start now if it's necessary. And concerning the RAM: Would it be better to just add another tow 4GB sticks or replace them with two 8GB sticks?

I recently upgraded from a 780 to a 1080 ti and I have a weaker, but overclocked cpu (4.5ghz 3570k) and 2x4GB ram. Can't really say I've noticed any obvious CPU limitations at the moment, but I also play at 4k and at 60hz with my TV as much as possible.

Top Bottom