• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

ggx2ac

Not sure if you all were aware of, but I noticed this in my play through last night.
Initially, i was a bit frustrated not knowing how many more rounds it would take until i defeated an enemy, because theres no traditional energy bar.

But, if you look at the number in the blue shield next to the enemy, it does go down as the battle goes until they're defeated!

DJrfVraU8AAiHUJ.jpg:large

What?

Are you sure you're not confusing that for something else?

The blue shield indicates how many hits they can take from a weapon they are weak against until their shield breaks which allows you to attack them with higher damage.

Not sure if you all were aware of, but I noticed this in my play through last night.
Initially, i was a bit frustrated not knowing how many more rounds it would take until i defeated an enemy, because theres no traditional energy bar.

But, if you look at the number in the blue shield next to the enemy, it does go down as the battle goes until they're defeated!

The number in the blue shield is not their health; it is the break meter. When it hits 0, the enemy breaks, meaning they're knocked out for a turn and you can do extra damage to them. The break meter goes down when you hit them with their weakness.

Edit: ninja'd. Sorry, don't mean to pile on.

Type_Raver

What?

Are you sure you're not confusing that for something else?

The blue shield indicates how many hits they can take from a weapon they are weak against until their shield breaks which allows you to attack them with higher damage.

The number in the blue shield is not their health; it is the break meter. When it hits 0, the enemy breaks, meaning they're knocked out for a turn and you can do extra damage to them. The break meter goes down when you hit them with their weakness.

Edit: ninja'd. Sorry, don't mean to pile on.

Oh is that so, must have been a coincidence when I noticed this, mistaking it for their life.
Thanks for the clarification.

Just played through primrose story and sold on the game already. Just wanted to know if there is something I can do in regards to the man and woman arguing in the village you start off in. Seems like I'm meant to help the girl out.

ggx2ac

Just played through primrose story and sold on the game already. Just wanted to know if there is something I can do in regards to the man and woman arguing in the village you start off in. Seems like I'm meant to help the girl out.

I'm assuming you haven't recruited Olberic, go find him in another town and then come back to duel the guy.

I haven't gotten the survey yet. I don't think I will. When I started playing the game, I had surveys deactivated in my Nintendo Network account. I activated it, but I think the game triggers the survey when you boot it for the first time. :/

I'm going to delete the game and redownload it, hoping it solves the issue.

Does anyone know if the sidequests in the two playthroughs (Alberic and Primrose) are the same?

DontBlink

I haven't gotten the survey yet. I don't think I will. When I started playing the game, I had surveys deactivated in my Nintendo Network account. I activated it, but I think the game triggers the survey when you boot it for the first time. :/

Definitely not, I got the survey a day after the download without actually starting the game.

KooopaKid

Banned
Random encounters that take forever to beat. What a disappointment. I don't have time for this waste of time anymore.
The artstyle is a nice idea on paper but a pixelated mess in reality. It would have worked on 3DS but without the depth perception, the navigation is troublesome, particularly during the cave part.
It's a hard pass.

Random encounters that take forever to beat. What a disappointment. I don't have time for this waste of time anymore.
The artstyle is a nice idea on paper but a pixelated mess in reality. It would have worked on 3DS but without the depth perception, the navigation is troublesome, particularly during the cave part.
It's a hard pass.

Were you using skills or just attacking?

tsundoku

It's a hard pass.
Random encounters are incredibly fast.

Both. In x2, x3 and x4 mode. Still super slow to get rid of basic enemies.

Huh. They were generally going down in one boosted skill for me after breaking them. So like if I saw two enemies weak to dark with one shield point each, I would use an unboosted dark AoE to break them and follow up with a 3x dark AoE for the kill.

Wait, you can boost special moves??

haha yes!

Get the enemy's shield points to 1 and get your exaltation points to five or six. Use three exaltation points to get lvl 4 magic/strength boost and use it. On next turn, break the enemy's shield. On the following turn, use three exaltation points and attack the enemy with whatever you boosted previously (physical or magic). You'll deal thousands of points of damage.

It's a hard pass.

That is odd
battles were long the first 6 levels, but I wasn't using the X2 to X4 mechanic...

Then I started and most enemies ended in 3 attacks or less

now at level 12 they die in 2 attacks

It's a hard pass.

I didn't have this experience at all.. the random battles were very quick.

The Dude

It's a hard pass.

Man what would you have done in the 16 bit says, just wilted away huh?

Zedark

Tried to jump back in for a quick session, was thinking 20 minutes or so of battling. Once again, time sped up and I played 2 hours of it, 'finishing' the extra dungeon, reaching the level cap for the demo, and doing several side quests. Man, this game is addictive, I love it!

Nilaul

That vignetting really has to go plus the colors have to be a little bit more saturated. They really need to give the NPC more things to say during battle, as hearing the same cliche statements over and over again really gets to you.

Apart from that, I loved it!

Rudolf

Neo Member
I didn't receive any email to give them feedback about the demo (that's strange). For those who received the email, can you please tell them that they should allow the players to skip the cutscenes and dialogs when we lose against a boss ? It happened to me when I lost against Primrose's boss and I had to see again the entire scene and the dialog. I remember there was the same flaw in Bravely Default. We aren't in 32 bits era anymore.

Thank you ! ;-)

Edit : Wait, in fact I received the email : it was indeed in "spam" or "advertising" folder !

Peterman

Neo Member
Is the demo removed from the eShop now? Can't seem to find it. Would be a shame, was really hoping to try it out.

Tried to search the thread for answers...

Shahadan

Is the demo removed from the eShop now? Can't seem to find it. Would be a shame, was really hoping to try it out.

Tried to search the thread for answers...

Still in the coming soon section

Edit: wait not anymore on the NA eshop, still up on EU. You'll have to do a search in NA I guess, lol

Successfully got a sibling and friend to give the game a look and they're both really excited for the retail version. Primrose is still thebfavourite character out the two. Might play it again just to hear the soundtrack.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I've been h
Checking my yahoo email and I still haven't had any survey, I completed the main st key I guess of primrose and now just kinda doing the extra stuff so idk what triggers it, maybe I got to do olberic?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Only did Olberic story but so far I really like it and the music is just great, my only complaint is that random battle seems to be high, they offer low experience and there is no quick save feature. Hopefully all these will be addressed in the finished version.

Also I didn't seem to get an e-mail for a survey.

Shahadan

So I've been h
Checking my yahoo email and I still haven't had any survey, I completed the main st key I guess of primrose and now just kinda doing the extra stuff so idk what triggers it, maybe I got to do olberic?

Nothing triggers it. People who didn't even launch the demo got it.
Make sure you have surveys enabled in your account anyway but I guess it's too late. I've posted a link to the survey twice in this thread, not sure if it's valid but you can complete it anyway, quote to see it

I think you need to have surveys enabled in your account settings before you even purchase the game. I enabled surveys while I was playing and did not ever get the email.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nothing triggers it. People who didn't even launch the demo got it.
Make sure you have surveys enabled in your account anyway but I guess it's too late. I've posted a link to the survey twice in this thread, not sure if it's valid but you can complete it anyway, quote to see it

Thanks, just took the survey, I made sure to point out that I'd like the boost to carry over between battles, kinda sucky when you have a lot of boost but the next battle your in your back at zero again

Thanks, just took the survey, I mass sure to point out that I'd like the boost to cast over between battles, kinda sucky when you have a lot of boost but the next battle your in your back at zero again

I could see certain accessories playing around with boost. Like maybe there's an accessory that provides no stat bonus, but gives you an extra boost at the start. Or a piece of equipment that significantly increases stats at the cost of boost. It would also be interesting to see certain skills designed around manipulating boost points for party members. Seems like too much design space to ignore.

Well that was boring. Did they at least talk about any new stuff?

survey link for jp is the new stuff... lol
kinda expected since they labeled the section as first impression, so demo ends up being the main focus. but I still disappointed as well

I guess the bulk of non-magazine/direct info will come at jump festa this December, probably release date too if it isn't covered by winter direct (if it exist)
can't wait another 'winter' promise from asano lol

ah,just noticed something about the booting screen,when it's a first party game therr will be just the nintendo logo on the top left,when it is a third party multiplat game it will change into "licensed by Nintendo",but for this game it is "Distributed by Nintendo".Is it a confirmation about Nintendo funding the game or something?

JCX

ah,just noticed something about the booting screen,when it's a first party game therr will be just the nintendo logo on the top left,when it is a third party multiplat game it will change into "licensed by Nintendo",but for this game it is "Distributed by Nintendo".Is it a confirmation about Nintendo funding the game or something?

I believe Bravely Default was published by Nintendo outside of Japan, so this also following suit wouldn't be too odd.

Exentryk

A reddit user noted some info from the TGS stream. Nothing too exciting though:

Hey guys, so I watched the stream on youtube (it's the first game shown) and wanted to share a little bit of what they said. They didn't really say anything that we don't know and mostly just walked the interviewer through the beginning of Olberic's demo. Here are some points, though.
  • They had been quiet since January because they wanted to release the demo worldwide simultaneously. So, unfortunately, they had to hold a lot of information in until that was ready. They really wanted to to the demo because they wanted everyone to be able to see what the visuals looked like running on the switch to increase interest.
  • Hard to put the current development progress into a single number percentage, but, as we've seen in the demo, they've got combat, dialog, exploration, etc in the game and working. They're also still refining the visuals.
  • Interviewer was told by his boss not to play the demo so that he could be playing it for the first time during the interview today. He was super pissed that he couldn't play it. Haha.
  • Hopefully, there will be plenty of Switches when the game launches so everyone that wants to play it will be able to.
  • When the Japanese say "Octopath" オクトパス they pronounce it the same as octopus. Interviewer thought it had something to do with octopus until they explained the name. Laughs all around.
  • Told interviewer to use Obleric to show off the battles.
  • They really discussed and tested voice acting, but decided to put it in to be a little more immersive.
  • It will have English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian text on launch. Sounds like they'll have one version worldwide.
  • Door openings are their best use of HD Rumble. They originally had it rumble with every footstep and it was way too much, so they took it out.
  • Asked a Producer if he liked Romance Saga. He said yes. Interviewer said he was relieved, then. It's in good hands.
  • Developers explain that they intend the flow of battle to be: Find weakness -> Break -> Hit hard with Boost. It's simple, but it can get complex.
  • Interviewer loves Phillip. And Emma Watson.
  • Asano said they are looking forward for the feedback and the interviewer said that it will be a lot of work to look into all the feedback and taking notes then he said "but you guys have a year ahead until release" and Asano nodded. Seems like we won't be getting the game the first half of 2018 I guess

Top Bottom