• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Juan

I use Bumper Jumper and I think 343 did a great job at mapping the controller overall. I'm not confused with anything and I never have issue when I want to do something, being crouch jumping or anything else. They did a great job at applying a feature to an already existing expectation, like Ground Pound is a continuation of melee, same for Climber being after jumping, etc...

That being said, I just discovered a few days ago you could use the stabilizer by pressing A when in midair and zooming, I always thought stabilizer were only there if you activated the on/off settings. So even if I don't use Stabilizer as it doesn't feel natural to me in Halo, I thought it was immensely complicated to use this without the setting on, like jumping with LB, zooming with the stick then pressing A. I'm not going to use this, ever, way too complicated.

Maybe pressing jump while in midair should activate the stabilizer, acting like a somehow second-jump without the need of zooming, but it may interfere with Climber in some areas, so I'm not sure. If we get rid of the sprint, maybe the second thumbstick button should be used for the stabilizer. Or just holding the jump button to stabilize.

On a side note, thanks to all the players who are still playing in the tuning playlist. It takes a while to get into a game, but when I can find one, I'm enjoying every minute of it. So if you ever happen to read this, keep playing in this playlist.

I only hope 343, for my own shake, will apply this tuning playlist to the overall game so I can keep Halo 5 on my hard drive after the test is over.

Off topic, but I played a lot of Fortnite Battle Royale recently. This game is mad fun! I can't tell for PC, but it's really going to hurt PUBG on console. I was planning to buy PUBG when it would be available on console, but I won't do it now that I have Fortnite BR. With the build-your-own-space thing in Fortnite, it had a new dimension to Battle Royale, and I have already saw some crazy things in this game. Great work Epic!

Off topic, but I played a lot of Fortnite Battle Royale recently. This game is mad fun! I can't tell for PC, but it's really going to hurt PUBG on console. I was planning to buy PUBG when it would be available on console, but I won't do it now that I have Fortnite BR. With the build-your-own-space thing in Fortnite, it had a new dimension to Battle Royale, and I have already saw some crazy things in this game. Great work Epic!

It'll steal a slice of their pie, but I'd be shocked if Fortnite BR 'really hurt' PUBG. The whole meta and mil-sim(ish) angle really makes it a different beast, and is a huge facet of why its taken off. It's mechanically brilliant in a way that Fortnite simply isn't yet, and it's really that interplay of premise and mechanics that has made it so compelling.

Fornite BR to PUBG, will always be a Paladins to Overwatch scenario - it'll only steal an audience who already had only a hesitant or fleeting interest in the genre, and likely wouldn't purchase PUBG in the first place.

Thinking about it now, it's surprising that pressing jump a second time isn't how you stabilize when it's not set to auto.

As for ground pound, I prefer that as melee and not crouch. Making it crouch would negatively impact crouch-jumping.
Because that's what clamber is if you play without hold to clamber. Not a good reason, but yeah.

Trup1aya

Fortnite is probably more my speed than PUBG, thanks to the cartoon presentation.

It's also free.

Thinking about it now, it's surprising that pressing jump a second time isn't how you stabilize when it's not set to auto.

As for ground pound, I prefer that as melee and not crouch. Making it crouch would negatively impact crouch-jumping.

I feel like their process for prioritizing SAs was "do other games have it?" rather than "does this improve the game?". The excuse given for clamber is that it allow for more vertically- when they could have used any other method for allowing players to reach higher places.

Putting Stabilizer on the jump button (instead of clamber) would've similarly allowed players to reach higher places- but without the requirement that they be looking towards the ledge they are jumping on. It would've added new mechanics whilst preserving the existing dynamics between moving and shooting.

Not to mention stabilizer on zoom seems contrived- even more so if you dont auto-stabilize.

Im not surprised. Look at the beta controls- they were going to shoehorn the abilities in no matter what. Look at the melee delay that exists because of GP- an action that is orders of magnitude less common than a normal melee gets priority...

The excuse given for clamber is that it allow for more vertically- when they could have used any other method for allowing players to reach higher places..

Doesn't clamber provide for more verticality? Sacrificing capacity to to jump and shoot at all times mightn't be a worthwhile concession, but personally I don't think Halo has ever felt so vertical. They may have lowered the skill-gap, but they've made platforming a universal and accessible mechanic. And I don't consider 'facilitating verticality through map-design instead' a good argument against it.

A gun-raised version of clamber would be an improvement however. More of a mantle than a pull-up

Also, I like some of your suggestions Trup.

I think so. It would hinge on tweaking movement mechanics so that they are more useful at continuing and/or reversing engagements than they are at resetting them. Also simplify the control scheme by adding context sensitive functions to basic actions.

Replace The current sprint with "always sprint". A high base movement speed. Theyd use all the effects to make it feel faster when moving forward for a few moments (arm waving, wind effects, thruster sound, widen FOV, etc), but never disable the ability to shoot. [We just freed up a button]

Definitely this. I think classic sprintless movement, with simulated feelings of sprint would be a perfect balance

I'd nerf the range of thrust- making it more of a exaggerated side-step. I'd shrink the cool-down to be a tad longer than the RoF is for the utility weapon. I'd buff it by having it cancel magnetism, so with good timing its used to dodge shots and melees. When airborne, you'd only be able to use it once.

Don't you think thrust would be kinda redundant with an increased base movement speed? I'm a big thrust detractor though, so don't listen to me here.

Stabilize would replace clamber- tap A while airborne to hover. No need to zoom in. Do it at the apex and it will extend the height of your jump.

I'd turn GP with into "quick drop": tap melee while airborne and you'll thrust downward. (This would be context sensitive, if you're aimed at an opponent in melee range, you'll do a melee). Only direct hits would deal damage. 1HK if drop is far enough

I think this would add mechanical depth As players could use stabilizers and quick drop to mix in some "air strafe" in addition to the H5 lateral strafe+thruster. It would also allow for a more traditional approach to map design since they wouldnt need massive walls and hallways to counteract sprint and clamber.

Stabilize and ground-point I've always been kinda iffy on. I'd be very interested in seeing what could come of "air strafing", and seeing if it actually can work in practice for some in-air dukes. Your vised application for stabilizers seems more of a lite-double jump however, which I'm absolutely not a fan of. Quick-drop also sounds gross, though may make more sense with air-strafing.

Trup1aya

Doesn't clamber provide for more verticality? Sacrificing capacity to to jump and shoot at all times mightn't be a worthwhile concession, but personally I don't think Halo has ever felt so vertical. They may have lowered the skill-gap, but they've made platforming a universal and accessible mechanic. And I don't consider 'facilitating verticality through map-design instead' a good argument against it.

A gun-raised version of clamber would be an improvement however. More of a mantle than a pull-up
I think the concept of verticality is relative. Yeah, They added clamber, and with it decided to design maps with surfaces that need to be clambered in order the mount. They could have provided ledges to jump off of to reach the same heights. Or used environmental methods, like lifts, elevators, bumpers etc. clamber isn't needed to allow movement around maps that are taller.

Also, I like some of your suggestions

Definitely this. I think classic sprintless movement, with simulated feelings of sprint would be a perfect balance

:)

Don't you think thrust would be kinda redundant with an increased base movement speed? I'm a big thrust detractor though, so don't listen to me here.

I'd reduce thrusts effectiveness for moving around the map, and relegate it to being more of a strafe modifier and for jump correction. I think that would keep it from being redundant

Stabilize and ground-point I've always been kinda iffy on. I'd be very interested in seeing what could come of "air strafing", and seeing if it actually can work in practice for some in-air dukes. Your vised application for stabilizers seems more of a lite-double jump however, which I'm absolutely not a fan of. Quick-drop also sounds gross, though may make more sense with air-strafing.

I'm iffy on them too. I'd prefer, no abilities at all, but I'm trying to think of ways to have "advanced movement" without compromising map design, input response, or controller layouts, whilst recapturing the speed of classic halo engagements. I'm also interested in lowering the skill floor, while increasing the skill ceiling. The benefit from my implementation would be players wouldn't HAVE to incorporate SAs into their gameplay to properly navigate maps, but they could use them to enhance their gameplay.

Stabilizers wouldn't be a lite-double jump, imo, they'd be more of a forgiving spring jump- that could be cancelled by a well placed shot.

The thing I like about quick drop, is that it could be used to cancel the floatiness of standard jumps- the only thing I currently see as useful about clamber.

Im fine with SA's as long as clamber is removed and you cant chain Sprint+thrust+slide+jump. Also if map design philosophy is completely rethought.

Im fine with SA's as long as clamber is removed and you cant chain Sprint+thrust+slide+jump. Also if map design philosophy is completely rethought.

i dunno, i love both those things [especially the chain ability boost jump slide thingie].

but, i would sacrifice said chain to the alter if it meant they removed sprint.

also, i fuggin' love clamber, especially watching the way pros manipulate the maps in order to use clamber as a last ditch / unexpected dodging effort - so slick.

but i understand y'all now, it gets in the way of yer shootin', which i can appreciate.

Juan

Im fine with SA's as long as clamber is removed...

From all the "bad" additions Halo 5 brought to the table, I'm not sure clamber is the worst one. It had bad effects on map design since 343 wanted to absolutely make the player use it, but if we get map like before (Halo 2/3/4/Reach), I'm not sure Clamber should leave as it's just a good bonus.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sprint thrust slide jump is awesome. If they remove sprint but keep thrust, as I think I'm voting for, they better keep thrust slide jump. It's the best "advanced movement" option the series has ever had. Love it

Trup1aya

From all the "bad" additions Halo 5 brought to the table, I'm not sure clamber is the worst one. It had bad effects on map design since 343 wanted to absolutely make the player use it, but if we get map like before (Halo 2/3/4/Reach), I'm not sure Clamber should leave as it's just a good bonus.

Yeah, i don't love clamber, but it's far from the worst SA- the way they chose to forced clamber use via map design is bad though.

Yeah, i don't love clamber, but it's far from the worst SA- the way they chose to forced clamber use via map design is bad though.

Every problem i have with this game comes down to the terrible maps they have.

Really loving the Halo 3 playlist. The spawns can be a bit iffy but I'm having a blast, even if I am rusty after not playing for several months.

Never seen so many quitters in my life

Actually, yeah, that has been a frequent issue in the games I've played. On the plus side, new players seem to join relatively quickly.

I don't really understand the quitting though. It's a social playlist, it's supposed to be fun.

The team i joined already had one guy quit, it was like 19-4 for the other guys. I came in got a few kills and made it closer, 2 other guys on my team quit and i was left alone till the end of the match.

if people quit its cause theyre getting destroyed and they were. If theyre getting destroyed then MM isnt working properly if you ask me.

Trup1aya

Every problem i have with this game comes down to the terrible maps they have

I think it's a vicious cycle- the map design is influenced by the movement mechanics. So the more ways you give players to navigate - the tougher it is for the designer control map flow while keeping it enjoyable.

Really loving the Halo 3 playlist. The spawns can be a bit iffy but I'm having a blast, even if I am rusty after not playing for several months.

This is how I feel. Spawns are god awful at times, but I can't get enough. Came back after months of not playing halo, and I was instantly shitting on everyone in this playlist, lol. I guess the H5 kids weren't ready for the old school strats.

Juan

Still not loving the Halo 3 classic despite having good games with friends due to the sandbox no fitting those settings, but man, how I have missed those classic feelings!

I love that you just walk around the map and shoot without having to ask yourself if you should sprint ou thrust at any given time. I love there are fixed timer for weapons and power-up but no UI indication or announcer so not everyone will move toward those locations.

I love the maps feel human-sized and not just stretched like heel.

Sure Halo 5 feels more dynamic since you are performing very different set of actions in a short lapse of time, but the pacing in the Halo 3 playlist is near perfection

Actually, yeah, that has been a frequent issue in the games I've played. On the plus side, new players seem to join relatively quickly.

I don't really understand the quitting though. It's a social playlist, it's supposed to be fun.

It's people like me playing for 30 seconds and thinking "holy shit this is awful".

[sorry guys, i couldn't handle it]

Sprint thrust slide jump is awesome. If they remove sprint but keep thrust, as I think I'm voting for, they better keep thrust slide jump. It's the best "advanced movement" option the series has ever had. Love it

You just cover way to much distance in such a short time.

Juan

The tuning playlist is now gone. :'(

Thanks 343 for showing me it was possible for a now casual to have fun in a ranked playlist on Halo 5. I never thought I would have so much fun playing Halo 5 during 1/2 weeks. I enjoyed every minutes of this playlist and I'm already missing it.

Not sure I will keep Halo 5 on my Xbox One now I've tested everything I wanted, tuned and Halo 3 playlist, so I guess I'll go back on DOOM, The MCC and For Honor, but it was a pleasure to finally appreciate Halo 5, even if it was for a short period of time.

Looking forward the November update, maybe I will download Halo 5 again if their tuning test is changing the game for good like this playlist did to me.

Weapon tune playlist has gone. Since my original thoughts on the list (dubbing the new BR "dog shit"), I really came to appreciate the list. This was chiefly because of the ability tracker; having a top billing playlist where I could move undetected without having to crouch walk felt like Halo's glorious future we all deserve. Going back to the arena with its full radar felt radioactive in comparison.

New BR's spread was frustrating BUT overall, I preferred it to the default BR which one barely has to aim with. Keep the reduced aim assist and magnetism and tighten that spread a little and it'd probably be golden. After playing more games in the tuning playlist in the last two weeks than probably the last year of H5, I think I've come to terms with the fact I prefer the BR as starting weapon, provided it isn't ridiculously easy to get kills with. That you can get three full kills without reloading as opposed to the pistol's two really contributes to a powerful, muscular feeling to the individual whereas the pistol (as much as I do love this iteration), feels a little too academic when used as the starting weapon game after game after game.

Whatever happens, I do hope they trash the default BR. It's sunk the H3 playlist on release and deters one from BTB.

Juan

Anyone playing with an Xbox Elite controller around there? I got the opportunity to get my hand on one a few hours ago, and I really loved it! It feels top quality and I like the way it handles. I'm just worried about the paddles. I know you don't have to use them, but I want to, only worry is that I hold my controller somehow hard when I play, just because I like to hold my controller.

So, with my way of holding the controller, I'm a bit afraid I may press the paddles randomly or when I don't want to just because I may hold the controller a bit harder than usual.

Anyone having experience with it and can give me information about the handling? I think I remember Trup having one recently from his girlfriend?

Also, what is the next step for Halo 5? Are we waiting anything past the Halo 3 playlist? The November update with the 4K patch for Xbox One iirc?

Trup1aya

Anyone playing with an Xbox Elite controller around there? I got the opportunity to get my hand on one a few hours ago, and I really loved it! It feels top quality and I like the way it handles. I'm just worried about the paddles. I know you don't have to use them, but I want to, only worry is that I hold my controller somehow hard when I play, just because I like to hold my controller.

So, with my way of holding the controller, I'm a bit afraid I may press the paddles randomly or when I don't want to just because I may hold the controller a bit harder than usual.

Anyone having experience with it and can give me information about the handling? I think I remember Trup having one recently from his girlfriend?

Also, what is the next step for Halo 5? Are we waiting anything past the Halo 3 playlist? The November update with the 4K patch for Xbox One iirc?

As far as the paddles go- i found that the way i hold the controller was causing me to hit them accidentally.

To fix this i put the long paddles upside down on the opposite side of the controller from their intended spot. Now when i hit them its a deliberate action.

like this

Tarry

Is the UI in this game meant to just crash at times? Don't recall that in any other Halo game but it seems 343 can't do UI design right.

Cranster

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443434

esports_nielsenrlpuq.png

I don't know how to interpret these charts.. It looks like Hearthstone, Overwatch, and RL are always well above halo and fifa in viewership.

Is this only accounting for official esports tournaments or something? Maybe it's unique viewers over s period of time...

They break it down in the PDF, but the gist of it is that yeah, there are more people who register as esports fans who follow Halo in some capacity than any crossplatform game in the US other than Call of Duty. I would assume PC exclusives top out everything, which is why they get their own category.

I know that we're all unhappy to varying extents with the way that ESL and 343 have handled things but by the numbers they seem to be doing pretty well.

They break it down in the PDF, but the gist of it is that yeah, there are more people who register as esports fans who follow Halo in some capacity than any crossplatform game in the US other than Call of Duty. I would assume PC exclusives top out everything, which is why they get their own category.

I know that we're all unhappy to varying extents with the way that ESL and 343 have handled things but by the numbers they seem to be doing pretty well.

Now imagine if their esport halo events were not always problematic in some way

Trup1aya

Im mean having fans who "register" as following Halo is great. But actual viewership numbers are all below many of the games listed below halo.

I think it does go to show the potential halo esports has... It just had to nail the execution.

Figments

Okay. Fuck BTB Slayer. 343 needs to get that shit out of the playlist rotation--BTB is more fun with objective modes than fucking Slayer.

If I wanted to play Slayer, I'd switch to Ranked.

Agh.

Top Bottom