• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

Reminds me so much of old video game commercials. Very charming and memorable!

So ready for this. Switch is going to be a monster this holiday.

Zedark

If you believe some people in this thread, that seems to be the case they're making for the first ~70 seconds containing hardly any gameplay but yet this ad being "good."
I don't think that's a fair conclusion to draw at all. There are plenty of ways in which someone might be excited by a commercial, and more than one of those ways can be manifested in one commercial. In this case, the ad reminisces of the commercials from the 90's, and does so in a convincing way, which makes it a real show to watch. None of that would have anything near this impact, though, if Mario games themselves did not appeal to people in the mainstream way they do: the hype for a Mario game, presented here with some game footage and a 'show' that celebratie the character of Mario, together combine to make a GOAT commercial. I don't think it would be anywhere near as special if it was only Mario dancing through the streets or only Mario running through the different kingdom in-game. It's the unique celebration of Mario combined with a special-looking video game that excites most people here.

Some 1920x1080 wallpapers ive done, if anyone wants them:

Classy
supermariolalaland-cllvs6k.png

Original logo
supermariolalaland-orjssna.png

If you believe some people in this thread, that seems to be the case they're making for the first ~70 seconds containing hardly any gameplay but yet this ad being "good."

You dont really understand how comercials on TV work to get people excited for a game, do you?

This is the Golden Sun european commercial, this singlehandly sold the game and a gameboy adavance to nearly every person that saw it (the talk and excitement of the ad was amazing to hear during brake times on schools). Only a tiny glimpse of the game was shown in the ending, but kids were savy enough to know what they were getting into by buying the magazine that month, or seeing the copy of a friend that already brought the game to school. It became SO famous, that Camelot used the theater and lamp dragon to create a scenario and summon of it in Golden Sun 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo&ab_channel=Xephon

The most impactful commercials have always been cinematic ones with little to not gameplay shown, with a song that catches the ear of the one watching tv (GoW's mad world commercial, thats also a great example, had no gameplay, just the main character running on clearly cinematic shots),. And thats not only for videogames, normal commercials that have were impactful were the ones were visuals and music attracted people, not the product shown.
Gameplay is great for trailers, not tv commercials.

So yeah, this musical smartly cut into tv running time, with just a glimpse of gameplay, is a GREAT commercial.
We can believe your opinion, or we can believe the thousands of commercials that became famous on the history TV doing the thing you dont like, your choice.

ViolentP

Is Mario, and the appeal of Mario, not mainstream..?

Outside the gaming world, I don't think so. The mascot has been around for decades which certainly helps, but in an age where the mainstream is starting to be a demographic that didn't grow up with the franchise, I don't think Mario is as much a household name as it once was. Diehard Mario fans are like smokers. There are millions of them but the number is getting smaller, and those lost are not being replaced.

Also, I think it's only fair that I am speaking of the patterns as I've seen them in the States. Not well informed of many outside pop-culture patterns.

Aw, that commercial gave me a happy tear :'D

I'd really like to know why Nintendo specifically makes me irrationally happy. Like, I get stupid excited during Nintendo directs, opening game boxes, playing their games, etc. I don't get that feeling anywhere else. It's weird.

I mean, people have literally stated that. No conclusion drawing involved.

Your average TV watcher doesn’t give a shit about seeing a bunch of gameplay. They're in it for the spectacle. I think you’re confusing what makes an effective advertisement for what you want to see in a commercial.

ViolentP

Your average TV watcher doesn’t give a shit about seeing a bunch of gameplay. They're in it for the spectacle. I think you’re confusing what makes an effective advertisement for what you want to see in a commercial.

I think you are underestimating the average TV watcher. There are a lot of people here lauding the commercial and I'm willing to bet a large number of them are either Mario or Nintendo fans already. Outside that context however, the commercial is not that big a deal I'm sorry to say.

What’re he chances of Nintendo playing the full thing on TV soon?

Outside the gaming world, I don't think so. The mascot has been around for decades which certainly helps, but in an age where the mainstream is starting to be a demographic that didn't grow up with the franchise, I don't think Mario is as much a household name as it once was. Diehard Mario fans are like smokers. There are millions of them but the number is getting smaller, and those lost are not being replaced.

Also, I think it's only fair that I am speaking of the patterns as I've seen them in the States. Not well informed of many outside pop-culture patterns.

That’s_where_you’re_wrong_kiddo.gif

Kids nowadays that I know (2yrs to 18yrs) through friends, and family, all have iPads, Kindles, etc. but they all know who Mario is and jump at the chance to play Mario Kart 8 with me. Obviously it’s ancedotal info, but so is yours based off of where you’re at. Mario is getting bigger than ever. Look at the downloads of Super Mario Run! It’s like saying Mickey is out of mindshare. It’s kind of like people assuming what millenials and each generation likes without talking to them.

Penguin

Eh I disagree

When you look back at the generation coming of age and the sales of New Super Mario Bros/Wii/2 and Mario Kart Wii/7 and even 8 to an intent. It's clear that Nintendo has replenished his image a lot in the past decade or so.

The big problem is... and they are working on this is he isn't everywhere. When I was a young lad, he had a movie... 3 animated series, was on magazine covers and generally the talk of the town.

Eh I disagree

When you look back at the generation coming of age and the sales of New Super Mario Bros/Wii/2 and Mario Kart Wii/7 and even 8 to an intent. It's clear that Nintendo has replenished his image a lot in the past decade or so.

The big problem is... and they are working on this is he isn't everywhere. When I was a young lad, he had a movie... 3 animated series, was on magazine covers and generally the talk of the town.

The thing is that those massive sales of Mario games peaked around 10 years ago. Since then, we’ve had the decline of the Wii and the failure of the Wii U, and we now have a new generation of children who grew up with things such as Minecraft, FNAF, and an assortment of mobile games. That’s why Nintendo’s mostly marketed the Switch to an older crowd, those are relapsed Nintendo fans who remember how big Mario was whereas today’s younger demographic grew up during Nintendo’s dark era. Yes the 3DS was successful, but it’s numbers were dramatically lower than that of its predecessors (MK7 + MK8 sales barely match MKDS’s numbers alone), indicating that there was a loss of mindshare. Mario isn’t some bottom tier franchise, but it certainly has been declining, especially among the younger crowd. Nintendo know this and are trying to remedy this (and other franchises) via mobile apps, amusement parks, potentially movies, etc.

I think you are underestimating the average TV watcher. There are a lot of people here lauding the commercial and I'm willing to bet a large number of them are either Mario or Nintendo fans already. Outside that context however, the commercial is not that big a deal I'm sorry to say.

I mean if you think the average TV viewer cares to see in-depth gameplay then okay, but that person is already reading GAF and isn’t the target of this ad.

Zia

Sorry, I don't read Edge. Is that rare for them?

The 10s from this gen are Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild and now Super Mario Odyssey.

They went a little wild last gen but have still only rewarded a total of 20 since their inception in 1993.

DMiz

This commercial is wonderful.

There is just so much on display that makes me smile and feel wonderfully happy that Nintendo has been great at doing for the last several decades of their existence.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo's marketing hasn't been this good since the "We would like to play" days.

I honestly love their embrace of that 90's feel. Another one of my favorites is the Luigi's Manson: Dark Moon commercial.

This is going to be the biggest mainline Mario game in years. Every day I grow happier that I have the Mario Odyssey Bundle on pre-order.

Top Bottom