• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

Lower than I was expecting (40-50k) for Mario & Luigi but it seems like a filler title and it should have decent enough legs through the holidays. Switch drop wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, and it’s good to see the Legs Brigade™ march on (notably with BotW Switch reaching 600k physical). XV2 Switch also had a really great hold this week, wonder what its cap will end up being. I’m curious how it’s done in the west as well. Good to see Arms back in the top 20.

Dragon’s Dogma bombed and FEW had a weak second week, but I don’t think much else was expected.

Ruthless.

tkscz

I wonder why they didn't ship many Switch this week? Did they prioritize super famicom mini enough to justify it?

Probably. No point of being in your own way. Edit: Also what Principate said. I forgot how close we are to Mario Odyssey's release.

Where is the squid with legs picture? Splatoon 2 has been in 2nd nearly 4 weeks in a row (exception of last week of course). This game has some powerful legs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First week of the quarter after last week's big restock everywhere played bigger role than stockpilling for Mario.

Things should go up again this week.

DrGrus

Since Arms still struggles to sell 200k, its western performance wil be more interesting this and last quarter. It has found a steady baseline of new buyers in Japan every week, in the end it will have a respectable LTD since Nintendo continues to support the game.

Can I ask for clarification? Might be that English is my second language. But as far as I understand it, Arms have already sold 200k in both trackers. Do you mean 200k above the start numbers?

Fularu

Banned
The PC port is sitting at 824k, so I don't think it's too far-fetched if they thought that they could sell a few 100k on consoles worldwide (which would easily pay for the port).
It was also part of the december monhly humble bundle, easily inflating the PC steam numbers

casiopao

From GT6? I think GTS could outdo GT6. You do understand that even the late GT6 has sold near 6 million. GT as a series doesn't really need help to do well, it needs help to get back to its extraordinary status of 10 million+

Some say the racing market has declined severely.....we'll have to see.

I am talking about japan and i am quite confident that we are going to see further drop for GT series there.

And this is GTS. Not GT7. Without that new numbering, i can see it maximum cap lower than what it could reach.

Dragon's Dogma is another bottom-tier performance. UK numbers were at comical levels, and it barely sells 10k FW in Japan now. This has been a rough year for their catalog.

Who was this port even for?

Dont ever question God Capcom decision bruh. They are never wrong lol. I bet the number of Nico nico streamer for this title is going to be sooo profitable for Capcom too.^_^

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Can I ask for clarification? Might be that English is my second language. But as far as I understand it, Arms have already sold 200k in both trackers. Do you mean 200k above the start numbers?
There is a running joke, even at 500k Arms will always be below 200k.

Vena

The PC port is sitting at 824k, so I don't think it's too far-fetched if they thought that they could sell a few 100k on consoles worldwide (which would easily pay for the port).

I could see this as the reasoning, but then am confused by why this is 10$ more than other ports (from bigger brands too). This is an extremely mediocre to downright ignored brand, but they decided to price it beyond their normal port-price structure as of late. Seems like a bad decision.

Given current numbers, I don't see this breaking 100k right now WW.

Orgen

Some poster predicted ARMS to crawl to 200.000 LTD and that he was only wrong once predicting sales. Here we are now with an LTD of >230.000 and no signs of slowing... (But he did come back to say something along the lines "see how I'm right?" when it was clear that he wasn't, so the joke was born).

Little Mons†er;251681282 said:
this, im worried about the oversaturation of fire emblem games so far... wonder how Fire Emblem Switch's performance will reflect this

I am a little concerned about how quickly they started milking FE after Awakening. However, is it possible that FE Warriors is just caught between the shuffle of many other games releasing in a short time frame on a limited audience for the Switch? There are only so many games you can buy in a year. Although that doesn't explain the 3DS sales. Granted everything post-DQXI has been tanking on the 3DS.

2m LTD for Arms should be expected at this point and a good result. Hitting 3m, now that would be a great result and guarantee a sequel sometime. December sales will be crucial for that chance to exist.

I think Nintendo should push bundles of BotW, Arms, and Xenoblade 2 for the holiday season in Japan. Last time they did a limited bundle of ARMS and BotW, both maintained a higher baseline of sales afterwards. Which suggests that the titles could have larger legs with a bigger word of mouth. Also would work better since the game will have more content.

Is ARMS still getting bundled with Switch on Amazon?

I believe that was a one or two week only thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
I could see this as the reasoning, but then am confused by why this is 10$ more than other ports (from bigger brands too). This is an extremely mediocre to downright ignored brand, but they decided to price it beyond their normal port-price structure as of late. Seems like a bad decision.

Given current numbers, I don't see this breaking 100k right now WW.
Which ports cost 3k yen? Honest question. Mario Kart 8 and Pokken are 6k yens. Xenoverse 2 Switch is almost 7k yen. Gravity Rush PS4 was almost 6.5k yen.

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980) - 25.788 / NEW

that's a pretty meh start for it. still. never was too much interest for it

02./04. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 22.338 / 1.212.901 (-25%)
03./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 13.392 / 734.133 (-11%)
11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 6.196 / 604.865 (-19%)

showing those legs even in a somewhat slow week

09./03. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800) - 8.024 / 49.514 (-81%)
13./06. [3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥6.800) - 4.952 / 23.309 (-73%)

that's.. a big drop. might be gone before the first dlc arrives.
several possible reasons for this but that's a discussion for another post

19./22. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 3.340 / 232.688
hello Arms. nice to see you again

| NSW | 38.204 | 73.231
big drop but more or less back to average switch shipment
probably saving for Mario

I think Nintendo should push bundles of BotW, Arms, and Xenoblade 2 for the holiday season in Japan. Last time they did a limited bundle of ARMS and BotW, both maintained a higher baseline of sales afterwards. Which suggests that the titles could have larger legs with a bigger word of mouth. Also would work better since the game will have more content.

might not be a bad idea for japan if it increases their legs
they could try the same in the US and Europe with more bundles of Splatoon 2, Arms, and Xenoblade 2
zelda and mario will sell on their own here

Gradivus

I am a little concerned about how quickly they started milking FE after Awakening. However, is it possible that FE Warriors is just caught between the shuffle of many other games releasing in a short time frame on a limited audience for the Switch? There are only so many games you can buy in a year. Although that doesn't explain the 3DS sales. Granted everything post-DQXI has been tanking on the 3DS.
That might be only the case for Japan, I think this spin-off title will still do better than Ike & Marth's games in the west.

Eolz

That's not great for an MH title, is it? Genuinely curious.
I understand it's a port of a spinoff, though. What did MHXX 3DS end up at?

As others said (still like to reply), no, it's not good at all. But it's still interesting (and a bit funny) to see it still selling with that kind of effort (none) from Capcom...

No Tharja, _________ .

Need to keep something for the DLC.
It's like when they kept "Human" Midna as DLC for HW but chose insect girl to be in the main game.

If anything this chart proves that franchise fatigue is a real thing. Another Mario & Luigi for 3DS wasn't a really wise decision, maybe it was cheap to make?

Vena

Which ports cost 3k yen? Honest question. Mario Kart 8 and Pokken are 6k yens. Xenoverse 2 Switch is almost 7k yen. Gravity Rush PS4 was almost 6.5k yen.

Capcom's, the ones I was referencing: [PS4] Resident Evil 6 <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.12.01} (¥2.800)

This game is 1000¥, or 10$, more expensive against Capcom's own standard for better franchises (ie. Resident Evil). Even Okami is cheaper.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

[PS4] Dead Rising <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.09.29} (¥2.490)
[PS4] Dead Rising 2 <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.09.29} (¥2.490)
[PS4] Resident Evil 4 <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.12.01} (¥2.800)
[PS4] Resident Evil 5 <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.12.01} (¥2.800)
[PS4] Resident Evil 6 <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.12.01} (¥2.800)
[PS4] Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.03.09} (¥2.990)
[PS4] Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 <Mega Man 7 \ Mega Man 8 \ Mega Man 9 \ Mega Man 10> <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.10} (¥2.990)
[PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.08.31} (¥2.990)

[PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.10.05} (¥3.990)

Oregano

[PS4] Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 <Mega Man 7 \ Mega Man 8 \ Mega Man 9 \ Mega Man 10> <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.10} (¥2.990)

[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990)

ggx2ac

Now that Everybody's Golf said good bye too, Gran Turismo is Sony's last big Japanese developed IP in question.

Oh yeah, I just noticed that. I guess the mobile game didn't help significantly to rejuvenate the franchise like Pokémon Go did.

ggx2ac

[PS4] Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 <Mega Man 7 Mega Man 8 Mega Man 9 Mega Man 10> <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.10} (¥2.990)

I see it wasn't much cheaper compared to the original release.

02./00. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.04.25} (¥4.990) - 125.363 / NEW

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Monday was national holiday in Japan and Splatfest 3 takes place at Saturday-Sunday, bigger shipment should be expected this week (41).

Next round of notable releases is week 42 but retailers blogs talk for low preorders across everything.

I honestly think it's a shame that Nintendo is sort of devaluing series by releasing cheap filler titles on 3DS. I don't think Metroid: Samus Returns is one of those, but Mario & Luigi and that Kirby game really look like they are...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
From this year's Nintendo releases for 3DS the only IPs I see them devaluating are these that were revealed at September direct.

Mario Party for some reason gets another release that will see further drop in sales and they try with a new numbers main entry of Style Savvy, but maybe with this one Nintendo decided, like Brain Age, it has no future.

Red Devil

I honestly think it's a shame that Nintendo is sort of devaluing series by releasing cheap filler titles on 3DS. I don't think Metroid: Samus Returns is one of those, but Mario & Luigi and that Kirby game really look like they are...

Not sure what to make of Mario & Luigi since it's a remake and Kirby is getting a mainline game on Switch on a few months.

Gradivus

I feel like the more relevant comparison is Shadows of Valentia here....

FE Warriors Switch and Radiant Dawn are on new consoles (low userbase), released right next to games that can steal sales ( Mario odyssey and galaxy) from them. Yet on Amazon, FE Warriors Switch has charted in the top 100 for America in Aug (48), Sep (94) and Oct (51 and still going) while RD was no where to be seen in 2007.

This makes me think that oversaturation hasn't really affected the West as much as Japan.

Also, Echoes had no competition on the 3DS around its release date and has access to a larger userbase.

Maxinas

FE Warriors Switch and Radiant Dawn are on new consoles (low userbase), released right next to games that can steal sales ( Mario odyssey and galaxy) from them. Yet on Amazon, FE Warriors Switch has charted in the top 100 for America in Aug (48), Sep (94) and Oct (51 and still going) while RD was no where to be seen in 2007.

This makes me think that oversaturation hasn't really affected the West as much as Japan.

Also, Echoes had no competition on the 3DS around its release date and has access to a larger userbase.

It's #23 now actually. I wouldn't say Amazon rankings are an indication of good sales, but the fact that it's rising to the top, means there is interest in the game.

Gradivus

It's #23 now actually. I wouldn't say Amazon rankings are an indication of good sales, but the fact that it's rising to the top, means there is interest in the game.
That's right. It doesn't give us numbers, but it shows interest. Its a spinoff game so i don't think it will hit near the current main titles figures.

....the IP is in a much different place now as opposed to then, a 60k NPD debut for FEW would definitely be considered bad yet this would barely "beat" RD.

Also Fire Emblem is arguably the poster child for being overrepresented on Amazon, look at Fates and Echoes...and 3DS in 2017 is definitely not the ideal condition for anything.

Aters

I see it wasn't much cheaper compared to the original release.

02./00. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.04.25} (¥4.990) - 125.363 / NEW

I don't understand why the original price is so low. That's not the price for a console game.

ggx2ac

I don't understand why the original price is so low. That's not the price for a console game.

Already mentioned but it's the expansion of the original game including the original game like UMvC3.

The difference here is that the PS4 version isn't that much different, I'm assuming it's Full HD now with 60fps but there isn't new content that would warrant the price like USF2.

Lizardus

Already mentioned but it's the expansion of the original game including the original game like UMvC3.

The difference here is that the PS4 version isn't that much different, I'm assuming it's Full HD now with 60fps but there isn't new content that would warrant the price like USF2.

Lol. Capcom's laziness extends beyond the Switch.

Top Bottom