• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

jbug617
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:28 AM)
I forgot there was no chapter this week. fuck
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:30 AM)

Originally Posted by jbug617

I forgot there was no chapter this week. fuck

And remember we got Friday releases for the foreseeable future.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:53 AM)
I hate break weeks so much when the story starts building to a climax
Blackleg-sanji1
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:53 AM)
We should all find chopper in real life to cure oda or law
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

I hate break weeks so much when the story starts building to a climax

Next week is all cake baking with gags with the cooks!

Maybe Pound will do something other then want his juice.
Lakuza
Member
(10-12-2017, 01:28 AM)
Lakuza's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ray Down

Next week is all cake baking with gags with the cooks!

Maybe Pound will do something other then want his juice.

even better, it will be a pound flashback of him raising lola and chiffon.
Chase17
Member
(10-12-2017, 01:30 AM)
Chase17's Avatar
Better than 10 month breaks.
cryptosporidium
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:36 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
More complaints
-Every female falls into two catagories; Nami/Robin shape or OG alvida/aka ugly fat woman. not enough diversity in that when theres so many different male body types. Females used to be way worse but have gotten better since chapters like 400 or so. Perona being a good example of a different body/face than the rest. So many girls like exactly like Nami

-Everyones asian. But then again thinking of mr popo maybe its better this way haha
LotusHD
Banned
(10-12-2017, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

More complaints
-Every female falls into two catagories; Nami/Robin shape or OG alvida/aka ugly fat woman. not enough diversity in that when theres so many different male body types. Females used to be way worse but have gotten better since chapters like 400 or so. Perona being a good example of a different body/face than the rest. So many girls like exactly like Nami

-Everyones asian. But then again thinking of mr popo maybe its better this way haha

No lies there, the current arc tries to be a bit better about this though. Kind of... I guess, slightly.

And what do you mean, Aokiji is clearly black ;D
cryptosporidium
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:49 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar

Originally Posted by LotusHD

No lies there, the current arc tries to be a bit better about this though. Kind of... I guess, slightly.

And what do you mean, Aokiji is clearly black ;D

theres a few "piccolo is black" characters. Fujitora I could see too, the monk, aokiji, Jinbe is either wise asian or black karate man
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(10-12-2017, 03:51 AM)
Man God's Avatar
Brook's bones may be bleached white, but his soul is as black as can be. Yohohohohohohohoho!
LotusHD
Banned
(10-12-2017, 03:52 AM)
I was just about to say Brook lol

Yea I could claim Jinbe I guess, Fisher Tiger is definitely black now that I think about it
Blackleg-sanji1
Banned
(10-12-2017, 03:53 AM)
Gaimon is black
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(10-12-2017, 03:58 AM)
I would classify only a few characters as "Asian" but One Piece is a fantasy world so that distinction really wouldn't lead anywhere.
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 04:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Lakuza

even better, it will be a pound flashback of him raising lola and chiffon.

Doubt we will get something like, maybe a flashback with Lola and Pudding.
cryptosporidium
Member
(10-12-2017, 04:19 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
Just to add a positive, LOVE that Oda has his own distinct art style. I enjoy stuff like Vagabond etc but besides its high level art it isnt too distinct. Even berserk which is still my favourite isnt as distinct as the top three for me. Those three being DB, OP, and Akira
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(10-12-2017, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by cryptosporidium

Just to add a positive, LOVE that Oda has his own distinct art style. I enjoy stuff like Vagabond etc but besides its high level art it isnt too distinct. Even berserk which is still my favourite isnt as distinct as the top three for me. Those three being DB, OP, and Akira

I would say that while art that skews towards realism can risk looking less distinct, I can recognize an Inoue face every time (those lips). And Berserk's art has changed so much that I would call it distinct enough.

Semi-related: Oda's Vagabond

Inoue's One Piece:

Oda, as well as a few manga creators, were huge Vagabond fans. Pretty sure it outsold One Piece at some point.
cryptosporidium
Member
(10-12-2017, 05:05 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
768

Doflamingo really doesnt like the D




I stopped reading Vagabond a little bit before the MC as going to fight the blind guy. I liked the blind guy, and knew Vagabond was never going to be finished so I stopped at a happy place
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(10-12-2017, 06:32 AM)
Told ya'll the DBS special would fair worse than the OP special.
LotusHD
Banned
(10-12-2017, 06:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

Told ya'll the DBS special would fair worse than the OP special.

Huh, you did?
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(10-12-2017, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by LotusHD

Huh, you did?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=12964
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

Told ya'll the DBS special would fair worse than the OP special.

What were it's ratings?

It's not shocking really, even shit OP is more popular than Dragon Ball, just by being OP.
LotusHD
Banned
(10-12-2017, 06:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=12964

Damn....

Crypt sure reads fast.

Also tru
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Ray Down

What were it's ratings?

It's not shocking really, even shit OP is more popular than Dragon Ball, just by being OP.

DBS: 3.5
OP: 4.7

People will watch OP just because "it's OP" and "more OP is never bad". And there's also the fact that there's a more personal hook in One Piece's advantage.

Two long-standing main characters having an emotional clash of wills
VS
Goku getting (yet another) transformation in a fight with (yet another) new strong enemy in (yet another) tournament arc.
LotusHD
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:05 AM)
Eh, that's a pretty reductive take on it, but whatever
cryptosporidium
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:19 AM)
cryptosporidium's Avatar
775

SENOR, YOUR BACKSTORY.. TOO SAD.

Franky n senor top 3 best fights. So manly
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:24 AM)
Oda editor was even shocked at Pink backstory.

Would love Oda to focus on him in a cover story.
Monochromaticx
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:39 AM)
Monochromaticx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

I would say that while art that skews towards realism can risk looking less distinct, I can recognize an Inoue face every time (those lips). And Berserk's art has changed so much that I would call it distinct enough.

Semi-related: Oda's Vagabond



Inoue's One Piece:





Oda, as well as a few manga creators, were huge Vagabond fans. Pretty sure it outsold One Piece at some point.


Vagabond...please come back...
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(10-12-2017, 08:03 AM)

Originally Posted by LotusHD

Eh, that's a pretty reductive take on it, but whatever

Maybe (haven't seen the fight outside of screenshots), but that's basically the perception from the outside looking in. I'm probably not that far off.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(10-12-2017, 08:06 AM)
I think it's as simple as the fact that more people had a more recent connection to One Piece than Dragonball.
Ray Down
Banned
(10-12-2017, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

DBS: 3.5
OP: 4.7

People will watch OP just because "it's OP" and "more OP is never bad". And there's also the fact that there's a more personal hook in One Piece's advantage.

Two long-standing main characters having an emotional clash of wills
VS
Goku getting (yet another) transformation in a fight with (yet another) new strong enemy in (yet another) tournament arc.

But Super is really really good /s (havnt really watched it)

OP is just more popular.
ChasingANiche
Banned
(10-12-2017, 09:32 AM)
In light of no new chapter this week, what is this threads taste in anime in general? Only shonens, or even only One Piece? I personally have pretty eclectic taste. Top 5 (excluding One Piece):
Wondering sun
Kaiji
Nichijou
Mobile suit Gundam 0079
Little witch academia

Edit: Also Neo Yokio
NHarmonic.
Banned
(10-12-2017, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Ray Down

Oda editor was even shocked at Pink backstory.

Would love Oda to focus on him in a cover story.

Post-finale story with Franky and Seņoru, drinking and sharing good times.
Lakuza
Member
(10-12-2017, 10:29 AM)
Lakuza's Avatar

Originally Posted by ChasingANiche

In light of no new chapter this week, what is this threads taste in anime in general? Only shonens, or even only One Piece? I personally have pretty eclectic taste. Top 5 (excluding One Piece):
Wondering sun
Kaiji
Nichijou
Mobile suit Gundam 0079
Little witch academia

Edit: Also Neo Yokio

currently only read one piece, my hero academia and hunter x hunter.
anime wise, i'm staying up to date with both alongside attack on titan & one punch man.

Anime I've completed and enjoyed are:
- Psycho Pass
- Ergo proxy
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Death Note(dub version)
- cowboy bebop (was really young when i watched this, one the first anime's i watched)
- outlaw star (was really young when i watched this, one the first anime's i watched)
- Azumanga Daioh
- .hack//sign (& .hack//roots, only for the game not to be released in eu lol)
- hunter x hunter
- naruto + shippuden
- tokyo ravens
- kill la kill
- noragami - thanks to this one i discovered hello sleepwalkers, my fave band right now
- Angel bearts!

and a bunch of other anime I can't remember right now. But my pref outside anime like one piece are more in line with stuff like psycho pass and ergo proxy.
ChasingANiche
Banned
(10-12-2017, 10:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Lakuza

and a bunch of other anime I can't remember right now. But my pref outside anime like one piece are more in line with stuff like psycho pass and ergo proxy.

One of my favorite things about One Piece is how many different settings Oda puts into his story, but unfortunately noir cyber future hasn't really been explored. I loved Psycho pass season 1 but fell off season 2 hard. Felt like a different show.
Mendrox
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:13 AM)
Mendrox's Avatar
Won't be long anymore and DBS will overtake One Pieces ratings. DBS is a worldwide killer right now (Bandai and Toei cream themselves with merchandise money and it's only the begining) unlike One Piece. They even created the Dragon Room to discuss further steps for Dragon Ball.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the manga is monthly and really shitty. I guess manga sales are not that good.

tbh I dont really care cause I watch both, but the One Piece special was shit where as the Dragon Ball Super special was a masterpiece.

I should create a MAL account and see how many hours anime took out of my life these past 20 years.
Lakuza
Member
(10-12-2017, 11:14 AM)
Lakuza's Avatar
I don't really "get" dragon ball (watched it a bit as a kid, majin buu arc was the only one i watched start to finish), to me (from an outsider perspective) it feels like endless power-ups and the fights that are hyped up to be well animated feel like 1-2 frame loops of repeated punches and kicks, a couple of circles in the distance as they teleport about and clash and then big energy move like spirit bomb or something. So i'm kinda surprised to see so much hype around it (a lot of my IRL friends are in to it too, some only watch DBS and no other anime or manga).

Originally Posted by ChasingANiche

One of my favorite things about One Piece is how many different settings Oda puts into his story, but unfortunately noir cyber future hasn't really been explored. I loved Psycho pass season 1 but fell off season 2 hard. Felt like a different show.

it was definitely weaker than season 1, but i still enjoyed it a lot. I think I was just glad to have more psycho pass but I can understand why it wasn't liked by many since it didn't advance the main story much, but it was cool to see Akane as the mentor this time.
ChasingANiche
Banned
(10-12-2017, 11:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Lakuza

I don't really "get" dragon ball (watched it a bit as a kid, majin buu arc was the only one i watched start to finish), to me (from an outsider perspective) it feels like endless power-ups and the fights that are hyped up to be well animated feel like 1-2 frame loops of repeated punches and kicks, a couple of circles in the distance as they teleport about and clash and then big energy move like spirit bomb or something. So i'm kinda surprised to see so much hype around it (a lot of my IRL friends are in to it too, some only watch DBS and no other anime or manga).

In retrospect it's easy to look back at dragon ball Z as the narrative equivalent of a treadmill (in a lot of ways it was), but for a lot of people it was their first look at a narrative that was both action packed and consistent in its presentation. It's made fun of for its length but that was kinda the point. You had to watch every episode or you would be lost, and the stories were so strange and convoluted that every episode felt fresh. Like, "what Frieza can transform and become stronger! What! He's gonna do it again!!" It was engaging. As to why people still love it, there is a certain magic to watching the latest DBS and knowing that that Goku is the same Goku that beat piccolo and walked snakeway. Long stories can be cool like that.
Mendrox
Member
(10-12-2017, 12:17 PM)
Mendrox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lakuza

I don't really "get" dragon ball (watched it a bit as a kid, majin buu arc was the only one i watched start to finish), to me (from an outsider perspective) it feels like endless power-ups and the fights that are hyped up to be well animated feel like 1-2 frame loops of repeated punches and kicks, a couple of circles in the distance as they teleport about and clash and then big energy move like spirit bomb or something. So i'm kinda surprised to see so much hype around it (a lot of my IRL friends are in to it too, some only watch DBS and no other anime or manga).



it was definitely weaker than season 1, but i still enjoyed it a lot. I think I was just glad to have more psycho pass but I can understand why it wasn't liked by many since it didn't advance the main story much, but it was cool to see Akane as the mentor this time.

Because that was not Dragon Bal at all. Dragon Ball is the reason One Piece has that Shounen formular. Dragon Ball was the first to take Shounen to this level. There are cool video documentations about this that go into details how Toriyama frames his panels in the manga and what effect this had to this day.

Dragon Ball back then was more about technique and material artes. Even Dragon Ball Z was never that bad in the manga and more technical (with some speedy teleportation here and there of course). The anime just has to feel the time so it looks like what you already know.

There are techniques like:

- someone cloning himself
- someone getting two more arms
- a flashbang sort of attack
- the legendary kamehameha fired from feets (where almost nobody was able to fly yet)
- real material artes (positions, moves etc.)
- somebody stank so much he won against everyone except Krillin cause... he realized he has no nose
- sealing technique like the Mafuba

and way way way more.

In Germany we started with Dragon Ball so I appreciate the begining way more than people from America that only got into hype as soon as people were bleeding or getting killed more (and here started the downfall in regards to keeping things more interesting with special techniques which are not transformations or different looking KI balls)
gundamkyoukai
Member
(10-12-2017, 12:46 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mendrox

Won't be long anymore and DBS will overtake One Pieces ratings. DBS is a worldwide killer right now (Bandai and Toei cream themselves with merchandise money and it's only the begining) unlike One Piece. They even created the Dragon Room to discuss further steps for Dragon Ball.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the manga is monthly and really shitty. I guess manga sales are not that good.

tbh I dont really care cause I watch both, but the One Piece special was shit where as the Dragon Ball Super special was a masterpiece.

I should create a MAL account and see how many hours anime took out of my life these past 20 years.

I hope your not saying that OP merchandise don't make a killing ?
OP vol manga sales alone Shueisha make a killing from .
As for DBS the manga sales are very poor it sold 30k in it's first week .
Mendrox
Member
(10-12-2017, 01:28 PM)
Mendrox's Avatar

Originally Posted by gundamkyoukai

I hope your not saying that OP merchandise don't make a killing ?
OP vol manga sales alone Shueisha make a killing from .
As for DBS the manga sales are very poor it sold 30k in it's first week .

Bad writing on my part. I meant that Dragon Ball is way more popular worldwide than One Piece. Also Dragon Ball is here right now:

[IMG]http://i67.************/2b1s7n.jpg[/IMG]

I sadly don't have something newer right now, but I recall Dragon Ball being the thing right now again.
gundamkyoukai
Member
(10-12-2017, 01:33 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mendrox

Bad writing on my part. I meant that Dragon Ball is way more popular worldwide than One Piece. Also Dragon Ball is here right now:



I sadly don't have something newer right now, but I recall Dragon Ball being the thing right now again.

I know DB more popular WW but if we talking about making cash\ sales that is another matter .
Of course that depending on what you talking about like , games , manga , movies etc etc .
Like how Japan alone made OP sold such a huge amount manga wise.
Also your link don't work at least for me .
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-12-2017, 01:43 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by gundamkyoukai

I know DB more popular WW but if we talking about making cash sales that is another matter .
Like how Japan alone made OP sold such a huge amount .
Also you link don't work at least for me .

One piece will soon be the second highest selling comic series of all time surpassing Batman and has already surpassed Spiderman's total sales. There won't be another manga that comes close for a loong long time if ever.

Dominating Japan alone is a big deal considering how much of a juggernaut it is.
gundamkyoukai
Member
(10-12-2017, 01:47 PM)
gundamkyoukai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

One piece will soon be the second highest selling comic series of all time surpassing Batman and has already surpassed Spiderman's total sales. There won't be another manga that comes close for a loong long time if ever.

Dominating Japan alone is a big deal considering how much of a juggernaut it is.

Did not know it was that close to batman .
NHarmonic.
Banned
(10-12-2017, 02:28 PM)
It's even more impressive if you consider that batman and spiderman are probably recognizable everywhere, and luffy only in japan and with people that consistently watch anime/reads manga in the rest of the world.

GOda indeed.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(10-12-2017, 02:31 PM)
Man God's Avatar
One Piece is the soccer of comics.
Blackleg-sanji1
Banned
(10-12-2017, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

Maybe (haven't seen the fight outside of screenshots), but that's basically the perception from the outside looking in. I'm probably not that far off.

To be honest and I loved the special you aren't far off lol
Chase17
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:21 PM)
Chase17's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

DBS: 3.5
OP: 4.7

People will watch OP just because "it's OP" and "more OP is never bad". And there's also the fact that there's a more personal hook in One Piece's advantage.

Two long-standing main characters having an emotional clash of wills
VS
Goku getting (yet another) transformation in a fight with (yet another) new strong enemy in (yet another) tournament arc.

Does it really make sense to compare the content/draw of the specials, when they are both the lowest ratings in each respective series? Unless you mean that factors like that are why OP is inherently a more popular series, then I'd get it.

I think that is pretty average separation in ratings between the two shows anyways.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-12-2017, 03:39 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chase17

Does it really make sense to compare the content/draw of the specials, when they are both the lowest ratings in each respective series?

I think that is pretty average separation in ratings between the two shows anyways.

I feel like a lot of that is due to Toei's mishandling of the anime to put it lightly. We're entering the protracted end game of the series. I imagine from the end of Kaidou onwards series interest should start ramping up much like in the run up arcs to the WB war as we start the run up to the finale.
NSESN
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:57 PM)
NSESN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

One Piece is the football of comics.

I agree.

Thread Tools