• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Par Score

So it looks like no vaulting / desert map in live version until they launch 1.0 and leave early access. But it'll be on test servers instead until then. Sounds like the live version isn't getting anymore updates until 1.0 after the small patch this week.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1464092904661305018
O V E R W H E L M I N G L Y S T A G N A N T
Guess I'm eating crow. I was expecting bigger improvements, but doesn't look like they're coming soon.

Well, would you look at that.

This is a case where I absolutely hate being right, but the writing was on the wall. Such a shame.

I also don't understand nerfing the spawn island. Maybe the new buildings in the northeast will be less terrible now, but the spawn island was already a relatively high risk place because of how hard it can be to reach some games.
You could reach spawn island after you dropped feom the plane? Huh.

Blizzard

Banned
You could reach spawn island after you dropped feom the plane? Huh.
Yeah, I would still occasionally run into players who'd never been there. If you drop on the north coast or east coast, ideally while the plane is still flying, AND if you find a boat very quickly, you can get 2-3 minutes of hurried looting on the spawn island and potentially another 2-3 minutes of healing with the first aid kits you find there. You could still be screwed if you get back and can't find a car and the circle is across the world though.

Loot is military grade so there was usually a good chance of finding heavy armor / ARs / scopes / healing items, particularly since there's almost zero chance anyone is contesting it and going to murder you. Traveling there and getting back safely is the risk.

JDB

Banned
Well, would you look at that.

This is a case where I absolutely hate being right, but the writing was on the wall. Such a shame.
You weren't right when you said development was stagnant however long ago. We were getting regular updates updates, big and small.

Par Score

You weren't right when you said development was stagnant however long ago. We were getting regular updates updates, big and small.

Nah, I was pretty right, and I've been getting more right all the way until today, where I have been made as right as possible until the end of the year.

I just really hope they can hit that date. I'd rather have vaulting, a new map and a whole bunch of fixes than be right.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a sound glitch or someone just being insanely patient doing the single tap crouch walking, because I just had a game where someone made absolutely 100% no noise whatsoever entering my house and coming up the stairs.

edit:

*manually equips frag grenade before engaging guy*

okay good, i have consciously equipped my frag

*switches to grenade, tosses it, it's a stun, no I don't have a stun hotkey set*

????????????????????????????

Is this like that weird and infuriating thing that happens now where sometimes if you pick up an attachment it will automatically equip itself to your gun even if there's already an attachment there? (ie, pick up an 8x and the next time you pull out your AR for close/mid range, it's suddenly an 8x instead of the red dot you put on there)

Blizzard

Banned
edit:

*manually equips frag grenade before engaging guy*

okay good, i have consciously equipped my frag

*switches to grenade, tosses it, it's a stun, no I don't have a stun hotkey set*

????????????????????????????
Two non-bugged situations can cause that.

1. You manually equip the stun grenade by pressing the key repeatedly, but you change weapons before the change 100% finishes. Result: The previous grenade stays active.
2. You accidentally double press the grenade key.

jeffc919

Killed by another one of those f-ing "WG-whatever" Chinese cheaters. So much for BattleEye bragging about banning thousands of accounts.

EL CUCO

I still have a hard time identifying where I'm getting hit from 😭 just lost at 3rd because I had no clue where the guy shooting me was.

jediyoshi

05j3LRO.jpg

This is fine.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I've never once had an enemy jump in a first floor window to get the drop on me as I hide inside. I anticipate with this update it will happen quite a bit.
You must never play at the military base then. Is easy to jump in the 1st floor windows of the dormitories which makes for much more dynamic encounters.

Södy;252250607 said:
Example:

1on1, last 2 alive. You might know where he is. Throw a grenade and see if it hits him -> you know where he is.

Destroys a lot of the game mechanics imo.
I didn't mean Call of Duty-like hit markers to confirm shots, I meant directional markers to know where you yourself have been injured.

JDB

Banned
I think having hit direction indicators would make it too easy to determine where you're getting shot from. The current system is fine as it is. It's just a matter of getting used to listening to the shot and not the whizz/crack/impact noise and you're good to go.

A lot of things are fine, like the lack of vaulting is still fine in the game, but with the game angling on more sim elements it makes more sense to know where you've been hit (because d'uh, why wouldn't you?) so I question it as a design element. Even knowing the general direction doesn't stop the Where's Waldo element of trying to spot the errant aggressor pixels across the flora. Either way the initiator has the jump on you.

JDB

Banned
A lot of things are fine, like the lack of vaulting is still fine in the game, but with the game angling on more sim elements it makes more sense to know where you've been hit (because d'uh, why wouldn't you?) so I question it as a design element. Even knowing the general direction doesn't stop the Where's Waldo element of trying to spot the errant aggressor pixels across the flora. Either way the initiator has the jump on you.
I just don't see the problem with the current system. I rarely have any issues getting a rough direction of where I'm getting shot from within the first couple of shots. Going down the realism rabbithole without a gameplay justification is also a bit pointless because there is a ton about this game that isn't realistic.

I just don't see the problem with the current system. I rarely have any issues getting a rough direction of where I'm getting shot from within the first couple of shots. Going down the realism rabbithole without a gameplay justification is also a bit pointless because there is a ton about this game that isn't realistic.
But there is a gameplay justification, a really basic elemental one present in most shooters as representing something like the sense of pain is difficult to do outside of some visual indicator, to where it feels like a weird omission here given the nature that the design in PUBG skews towards.

How would that work; or can you name a game that uses a mechanic like that? Showing your injuries on a 2D player model would be pretty useless so I guess you mean a 3D model or something similar to that?
Counter-Strike: GO, Quake Champions, Titanfall 2, Overwatch, Fortnite, Rainbow Six: Siege, really take your pick as it's in just about anything and you'd be more hard pressed to find games that don't feature it. Just a radial graphic indicator when you get hurt.

Woo-Fu

Banned
How would that work; or can you name a game that uses a mechanic like that? Showing your injuries on a 2D player model would be pretty useless so I guess you mean a 3D model or something similar to that?

It is typically HUD indicators on the sides of the screen and/or crosshair, not on the player model itself.

I think the way PUBG does it is fine, though, as it makes things more intense. Instead of instantly knowing where you're getting shot from from the very first moment you pick up the game there is room for some skill and experience to make a difference.

JDB

Banned
But there is a gameplay justification, a really basic elemental one present in most shooters as representing something like the sense of pain is difficult to do outside of some visual indicator, to where it feels like a weird omission here given the nature that the design in PUBG skews towards.
PUBG isn't a twitchy shooter where most of the time you need to react instantly to getting shot, though. That's part of the reason why those direction markers are in those games. Unless you're standing still (stop doing that) odds are you'll get shot for a lot longer relative to shooters that have hitmarkers.

Also, I've never been shot, but I can't imagine you'd be able to give a very informed guess on where you got shot from instantly like a direction marker would. Even getting shot in the chest would mean the shooter could be in almost the entire 180 degree area in front of you. That's a best case scenario. I doubt you'd be able to guess the direction at all if getting shot in the leg or shoulder.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, I've never been shot, but I can't imagine you'd be able to give a very informed guess on where you got shot from instantly like a direction marker would. Even getting shot in the chest would mean the shooter could be in almost the entire 180 degree area in front of you. That's a best case scenario. I doubt you'd be able to guess the direction at all if getting shot in the leg or shoulder.
There has to be a balance between realism and gamey elements though. This is a game where you can't hold a scope to your eye and look through it, you can't carry two pistols instead of two rifles, you can change clothes in the blink of an eye, and you can bring someone back from near death with the hand of blessing, followed by completely healing their gunshot wounds in about 10 seconds.

JDB

Banned
There has to be a balance between realism and gamey elements though. This is a game where you can't hold a scope to your eye and look through it, you can't carry two pistols instead of two rifles, you can change clothes in the blink of an eye, and you can bring someone back from near death with the hand of blessing, followed by completely healing their gunshot wounds in about 10 seconds.
Yeah, and that's what the current system is. :)

PUBG isn't a twitchy shooter where most of the time you need to react instantly to getting shot, though. That's part of the reason why those direction markers are in those games. Unless you're standing still (stop doing that) odds are you'll get shot for a lot longer relative to shooters that have hitmarkers.

Given the TTK in PUBG it can be very heavy on reactions, but if the rationale is that having pain be invisible is some necessary skill element in a game with a generally casual pick up and play appeal, well, I'd agree to disagree. It would be akin to having no health HUD, or no ammo count and no way of checking otherwise. Something that can be played around, but why?

JDB

Banned
Given the TTK in PUBG it can be very heavy on reactions, but if the rationale is that having pain be invisible is some necessary skill element in a game with a generally casual pick up and play appeal, well, I'd agree to disagree. It would be akin to having no health HUD, or no ammo count and no way of checking otherwise. Something that can be played around, but why?
How is that the same? There's information about where you're getting shot from. You're just not happy with how it's presented. Having no health or ammo HUD elements is just completely removing information.

How is that the same? There's information about where you're getting shot from. You're just not happy with how it's presented. Having no health or ammo HUD elements is just completely removing information.
There's information about when you take damage, and when you're out of ammo, the HUD elements are there just for explicit player representation.

JDB

Banned
There's information about when you take damage, and when you're out of ammo, the HUD elements are there just for explicit player representation.
I'm just saying that I really don't think not having hitmarkers is anywhere near close to not having a health bar or ammo counter. Just learn how to use the current system. It's perfectly fit to do the job without any visual aid.

I'm just saying that I really don't think not having hitmarkers is anywhere near close to not having a health bar or ammo counter. Just learn how to use the current system. It's perfectly fit to do the job without any visual aid.
I did learn how to use the current system, I only said it would be pretty nice to have that basic visual feedback featured in just about every other shooter imaginable.

AniHawk

just got chicken dinner in a squad.

1. landed in lipovka
2. circle had gatka, prim, and georg
3. take a dacia through the south part of yas and over to the north apartments in georg
4. loot george, circle closes in around gatka
5. make it to the yellow houses in the swamp, still a full squad
6. other teams thin each other out. last circles are really generous to us and our home
7. 8 people goes down to 5.

man, trying to imagine that last guy's surprise as the four of us rushed him, running over the hill all at once.

cripterion

How hard is it to make it so everytime you restart a game you don't have to choose Euro servers? Before it was always AS now it's always NA, are they really that daft?

Also it had been quite a while since I'd played, not even prime time hours in EU and it's a lagfest. I kill a guy that was warping around and then I get "0 killed" counter. 3 seconds later it changes to 1...

Venfayth

They want you to locate shots with sound and vision and not UI elements.

That's all you need to say.

You can disagree or want it changed, but you don't need to get bogged down in this vacuous realism vs gameyness discussion.

Does Arma use directional damage taken indicators? It's the closest direct analogue.

konjak

They want you to locate shots with sound and vision and not UI elements.

That's all you need to say.

You can disagree or want it changed, but you don't need to get bogged down in this vacuous realism vs gameyness discussion.

Does Arma use directional damage taken indicators? It's the closest direct analogue.

Also isn't the point of using suppressors that you DON'T have directional damage indication?

Top Bottom