• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

RocknRola

And it's funny you mentioned Chi-Chi since she had a personality changed between Dragon Ball and Z, yet no one really complains about it unlike Videl. She went from a sweet, naive girl, to a fire-breathing education mom. So it is factually incorrect to say that her personality hasn't changed much.

Bulma also has a personal changed between Dragon Ball and Z. For one, she far less selfish and is far more aware where she stands. She just let her temper get the best of her and she has been lucky that no one killed her yet for it.

One of Videl's best moments in Super were in Episodes 71 and 72 where she showed that still have 'spunk', but is far more mature and calm with dealing with people that annoys her. As for her being a housewife, that is all opinion that I'm not getting into.

Apologies for the very late answer, had to go to sleep and only now can I have some free time to answer:)

As for the actual answer:

Chi-Chi was always hot blooded though. Even in DB. I mean, hell, to marry Goku (or rather to force Goku to marry her) she was literally willing to beat him up. And she actively tried to. That's full on hot blooded.

Bulma was indeed more selfish, yes, losing that was a part of her character arc (mostly in Z) and part of becoming a mother too I guess. That said, neither had such a drastic change as the one shown with Videl. They retained their identifiable character traits over the many sagas of the show.

Videl in Super might as well be a new character versus her old self. And that's where my issue comes from. Having her stop being a part of the fighting group? Fine, perfectly fine (even if somewhat lame). Her current self? Not so fine, with me. Dislike everything she became with Super mostly because it goes against who they established her to be back in Z.

As for your final bit, this is all opinion man, it's fine. Me not liking somehting, you not liking something is perfectly natural and fine and that's exactly why we have these OT's :p

Can't allow Zeno to be at the top.

We're U6 bound, I'm at my strongest right now.
T76sbr.gif

notaskwid

It's a very common trope and very common in Japanese society for women to completely change after marriage, and especially after having kids. I'm an expert.

Anth0ny

Only reason people don't bitch about chi chis character change compared to videl is because no one watched original DB. They know know chi chi as stereotypical sexist angry mom.

RocknRola

Only reason people don't bitch about chi chis character change compared to videl is because no one watched original DB. They know know chi chi as stereotypical sexist angry mom.

Or, or, or, people watched it and realized that her "sweetness" wasn't the only there either. As the show clearly demonstrated, especially so during the World Tournament.

Put Chi-Chi in a cage with Beerus after telling her he hurt Gohan and that cat is gonna cry in fear. Bet on it :p

So the Android 13 in the new XV2 DLC is regular 13, not Super 13, just like how we got regular Bojack...
Hopefully we get Super 13 and Full Power Bojack as well...

Tapion looks awesome and Toppo's mustache is an accessory.

Zalman

Hmm, I don't know. I don't feel like her change was that drastic as an adult. We barely see her before they get married and the timeskip happens. Videl played a huge part of early Buu saga and her willingness to fight was constantly highlighted. Having that thrown away was much more jarring.

HeroR

Might as well throw Raditz and Dodoria in while we're at it.
If this game is missing anything like Ultimate Gohan, Hit and Black because we got characters like Nappa, Ginyu and Yamcha I'm gonna be pissed.

Can't say I care about Ultimate Gohan since I'm fine with Teen Gohan. I also don't expect Super characters outside DLC, even if they have some moves taking from Super.

Although, I would be mad if we got Nappa and Ginyu over Dabura since has a very unique move and powerset. That and Xenvoverve gave the guy the shaft for a long time. And for god sakes, gives us an original Dragon Ball character. No, Tien and Yamcha don't count.

RocknRola

What we really need is that darn DBKart they played in the manga! Now that looks fun! Instead of a Blue Shell you just casually throw out a Kamehameha or a Big Bang Attack or somehting along those lines :p

HeroR

With the exception of maybe the original DB, this franchise has always had bad pacing. It's part of the charm for me.

If you only watched the anime, yes.

Apologies for the very late answer, had to go to sleep and only now can I have some free time to answer:)

As for the actual answer:

Chi-Chi was always hot blooded though. Even in DB. I mean, hell, to marry Goku (or rather to force Goku to marry her) she was literally willing to beat him up. And she actively tried to. That's full on hot blooded.

Bulma was indeed more selfish, yes, losing that was a part of her character arc (mostly in Z) and part of becoming a mother too I guess. That said, neither had such a drastic change as the one shown with Videl. They retained their identifiable character traits over the many sagas of the show.

Videl in Super might as well be a new character versus her old self. And that's where my issue comes from. Having her stop being a part of the fighting group? Fine, perfectly fine (even if somewhat lame). Her current self? Not so fine, with me. Dislike everything she became with Super mostly because it goes against who they established her to be back in Z.

As for your final bit, this is all opinion man, it's fine. Me not liking somehting, you not liking something is perfectly natural and fine and that's exactly why we have these OT's :p

"Chi-Chi was always hot blooded though"

She really wasn't. She only showed a temper twice in Dragon Ball. One when Goku patted her on the crouch and again when Goku forget that he promised to marry her. Other than that, she was never shown with a temper or even hardcore on education. She also tried to beat up Goku not to forced him into marriage. She did it because she was pissed at him and didn't even tell Goku anything until he beat her. Goku then willingly married her because 'a promise is a promise'.

So Chi-Chi did have a drastic changed between Dragon Ball and Z to the point that Roshi lampshaded it.

Videl was never really part of the fighting group. She did some team up with Gohan against normal humans, but other than that, she was never part of the core group. You must be thinking of the movies if you believed she was fighting on the frontlines with these people.

Goku referred to Hit as "That guy in black" in the super dub... -_-
Come on Funimation, the only black on his entire outfit is the tips of his boots, is it so hard to look at the characters when you write new descriptions for them in your dub?

RocknRola

If you only watched the anime, yes.

"Chi-Chi was always hot blooded though"

She really wasn't. She only showed a temper twice in Dragon Ball. One when Goku patted her on the crouch and again when Goku forget that he promised to marry her. Other than that, she was never shown with a temper or even hardcore on education. She also tried to beat up Goku not to forced him into marriage. She did it because she was pissed at him and didn't even tell Goku anything until he beat her. Goku then willingly married her because 'a promise is a promise'.

So Chi-Chi did have a drastic changed between Dragon Ball and Z to the point that Roshi lampshaded it.

Videl was never really part of the fighting group. She did some team up with Gohan against normal humans, but other than that, she was never part of the core group. You must be thinking of the movies if you believed she was fighting on the frontlines with these people.

She had shown a temper, ergo, we know it was a part of her character. We know that there was more to her than just being " a sweet little girl" or something along those lines. Hence, the show changing her to focus more on that didn't come out of the damn blue. And arguably by the end of DB she is already very close to the Chi-Chi we get in Z and Super, minus the "protective mother" trait (since, you know, Gohan and Goten only came much later).

Also, minor nitpick, she was mad at him for forgetting his promise to marry. Thus she wanted him to marry her. Thus the whole motive for training and actively trying to beat him was just that, she still wanted him to marry her. Otherwise even after him offering she would have said "no". Like she is shown many a times of being capable of doing (even if she doesn't get her way). That "anger" is critical to her character development/story at that point of the story.

On the other hand, in regards to Videl, her "spunk" was central to her whole character. Having her become more "feminine" or more "motherly" could have happened without such a drastic change. Nothing in Z suggests she would become this sort of person, really.

Finally, no, I'm not confusing any movies. I don't even know in what movies she plays any sort of role that's even remotely relevant to the discussion at hand. However since it wasn't clear instead of "fighting group" I should have said "stopped fighting, full period". They also did that 18 and I didn't particularly. Especially with them all becoming mothers and the like, that's fine. I don't really expect much from DB, not to that point. I just don't like how they changed Videl in Super at all. The changes in Chi-Chi and Bulma felt a lot more like evolutions of what was already there rather than 180º changes out of nowhere.

Zalman

Just looking at the cover for volume 4 of the manga. The composition is nice, but there's something weird about the way Toyotarou draws Black. The face shape and eyes are completely off.

Morlas

Goku referred to Hit as "That guy in black" in the super dub... -_-
Come on Funimation, the only black on his entire outfit is the tips of his boots, is it so hard to look at the characters when you write new descriptions for them in your dub?

? it's a very dark Grey so i woulda called it black without looking too closely too

also i'm gonna go ahead and predict Cabba makes it out of next episode uneliminated

ElFly

the thing with Videl is that she already was a manipulative asshole before marrying so without the change she'd just be Chi Chi 2.0

HeroR

She had shown a temper, ergo, we know it was a part of her character. We know that there was more to her than just being " a sweet little girl" or something along those lines. Hence, the show changing her to focus more on that didn't come out of the damn blue. And arguably by the end of DB she is already very close to the Chi-Chi we get in Z and Super, minus the "protective mother" trait (since, you know, Gohan and Goten only came much later).

Also, minor nitpick, she was mad at him for forgetting his promise to marry. Thus she wanted him to marry her. Thus the whole motive for training and actively trying to beat him was just that, she still wanted him to marry her. Otherwise even after him offering she would have said "no". Like she is shown many a times of being capable of doing (even if she doesn't get her way). That "anger" is critical to her character development/story at that point of the story.

On the other hand, in regards to Videl, her "spunk" was central to her whole character. Having her become more "feminine" or more "motherly" could have happened without such a drastic change. Nothing in Z suggests she would become this sort of person, really.

Finally, no, I'm not confusing any movies. I don't even know in what movies she plays any sort of role that's even remotely relevant to the discussion at hand. However since it wasn't clear instead of "fighting group" I should have said "stopped fighting, full period". They also did that 18 and I didn't particularly. Especially with them all becoming mothers and the like, that's fine. I don't really expect much from DB, not to that point. I just don't like how they changed Videl in Super at all. The changes in Chi-Chi and Bulma felt a lot more like evolutions of what was already there rather than 180º changes out of nowhere.

You keep saying that, but she wasn't in the original Dragon Ball. She only shown to 'have a temper' when she was angry for reasons that would make normal people angry: being patted in the privates and someone forgetting they were supposed to marry them.

Before then, she wasn't shown with a snap temper, lashing out, being overprotected, embraced martial arts and even took it up herself, and never once mentioned wanting an education. All these things were added in Z, especially with her calling martial arts a waste of time, when it was something she had no problem with originally and adored Goku for being so strong.

Even before that, Chi-Chi was trained as a fighter or at least self-defense, as was noted in the first story arc. This is the same person who beheaded a dinosaur and vaporized him. She also threw a boomerang at Roshi's head.

Videl didn't really have a role in Z after she bowed out going after Buu.

Toppo straight up beats Goku in their post exhibition fight in the manga. I like that more.

From what I have seen, there is only one panel of Toppo kicking Goku, not enough to say he 'beat' him since that isn't all the fight. Unless I missed something.

Top Bottom