• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF seems more civil

Fercho

Well, we need to understand that for some malicious idiots "more civil" means "I want to discuss my shitty views without being told, without being dog piled, i just want to make this place a cesspool like i do it with my daily comments in Braitbart, 4chan and The Donald"

If you are one of those idiots, yeah this place is more "civil" alright.

I haven't visited GAF in weeks, due to the shitty posters that "mysteriously" came out after the exodus, reading this thread things are getting worse.

Imagine the kind of coward you have to be in order to be emboldened to speak your mind only when the other side is not around, in an internet forum. Jeez. True to their characters.

Zog

Banned
Imagine the kind of coward you have to be in order to be emboldened to speak your mind only when the other side is not around, in an internet forum. Jeez. True to their characters.

You mean like when the other side isn't around because they were banned for having the wrong opinion?

No a warning is just that, a warning. You are punished for ignoring the warning. The only people who have gotten bent out of shape over the warnings seem to be ones who were once furious at the old style of bans and the lack of transparency surrounding them. Now that bans are not used nearly as much and things are less transparent, now that's become the issue du jour. I'm pretty sure if warnings were dropped and no one ever got banned people would still find something to complain about,"Not enough people quoted me! They're ignoring me!"

I'm not going to argue semantics here, a warning is a form of moderation intervention and it's fucking asinine that the moderation felt the need to intervene in that post regardless of how they did it. That was a problem with NeoGAF as well, in most threads if you saw the avatar of certain moderators (especially the ones starting with B, what was up with that) you could do something else with your time because you'd be risking getting fucked for wrong thinking. It's not good for free discussions when fools get banned because posting "yeah I don't agree with that" is enough to send some overly sensitive crowd into a frenzy.

You only feel that isn't a problem if your thoughts align perfectly with the moderation. That's obviously not realistic to expect out of everyone.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not going to argue semantics here, a warning is a form of moderation intervention and it's fucking asinine that the moderation felt the need to intervene in that post regardless of how they did it. That was a problem with NeoGAF as well, in most threads if you saw the avatar of certain moderators (especially the ones starting with B, what was up with that) you could do something else with your time because you'd be risking getting fucked for wrong thinking. It's not good for free discussions when fools get banned because posting "yeah I don't agree with that" is enough to send some overly sensitive crowd into a frenzy.

You only feel that isn't a problem if your thoughts align perfectly with the moderation. That's obviously not realistic to expect out of everyone.

And I got banned several times for stupid shit, sometimes bans that I didn't agree with and guess what? I didn't hold some silly ass childish grudge or consider all the mods potential enemies. As I said, the people bitching about warnings are mad they can't bitch about bans like they used to and just moved the goalpost to keep their rage going.

Blam

Well, we need to understand that for some malicious idiots "more civil" means "I want to discuss my shitty views without being told, without being dog piled, i just want to make this place a cesspool like i do it with my daily comments in Braitbart, 4chan and The Donald"

I haven't visited GAF in weeks, due to the shitty posters that "mysteriously" came out after the exodus, reading this thread things are getting worse.

I understand where you're coming from. It feels more like /v/ then anything.

Explain to me how you're supposed to speak your mind when you're banned ?

Maximus P

Iv'e seen the odd bit of childish name calling in the gaming side, but the most annoying posts are the forum whiners, once they leave for other forums then i'm sure this place will pick up a bit.

quickwhips

Iv'e seen the odd bit of childish name calling in the gaming side, but the most annoying posts are the forum whiners, once they leave for other forums then i'm sure this place will pick up a bit.
Agree. I don’t mind people having different views than me.

And I got banned several times for stupid shit, sometimes bans that I didn't agree with and guess what? I didn't hold some silly ass childish grudge or consider all the mods potential enemies. As I said, the people bitching about warnings are mad they can't bitch about bans like they used to and just moved the goalpost to keep their rage going.

I understand what you mean, but a ridiculously tight moderation makes people measure their words more than what they're actually saying. I believe that a forum is a tool for debate and personally I think the moderators should only act when there's disrespect ("fuck you"), offensive content ("black people steal") or completely unrelated shitposting ("I like tits and ass" in that Resetera example). Anything else is free game because otherwise you're not having a discussion, you're circle jerking and that just fucking sucks.

Fercho

Explain to me how you're supposed to speak your mind when you're banned ?

Again, why they got banned?

I keep asking all these questions to you guys (whom obviously the shoe fits about my message xD ) but i never get a reply. Why you got banned? what kind of opinions that you guys feel so desperate to share in internet deserved you a Ban and a dog pile?

You got banned because you liked BvS more than Civil War? i doubt it.

The poor victim.

I keep asking all these questions to you guys (whom obviously the shoe fits about my message xD ) but i never get a reply. Why you got banned? what kind of opinions that you guys feel so desperate to share in internet deserved you a Ban and a dog pile?

The poor victim.

Gee.

The poor victim.

You're assuming all bans were deserved. 'What opinion deserved a ban and dog pile?' Plenty were deserved, of course, but my God. This board was the most ban happy groupthinky place on the Internet, as far as I could tell.

Mikey Jr.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Jesus GAF is dead.

Tons of gaming news dropped and theres a few replies here and there.

Its clear as day right now with the TGA over, the gaming community on here has completely vanished.

I know this is blasphemy, but maybe open up registration to free email? Because right now its brutal.

Blam

Its clear as day right now with the TGA over, the gaming community on here has completely vanished.

I know this is blasphemy, but maybe open up registration to free email? Because right now its brutal.

I can understand. Our TGA thread had what 3 pages now. They hit 140+

JordanN

Banned

No thanks.

GAF is still the only major forum that has a neutral and relaxed atmosphere. Take that away and all you got is another internet forum that gets flooded by extreme left or right posters.

Losing that strength just to pander for some short term benefits means I'm gone.

Edit: It reminds me when MMO's go from a paid service to Free 2 play but still end up sucking. Accessibility doesn't 100% mean success.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

GAF isn't dead. It just has a lesser amount of the people who posted 60 - 120 times a day about anything and everything.

I swear it was their job.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces return. Maybe they just decided to duck down for a while. Maybe they were cast out from the utopia and had the foresight to not suicide their account here.

7he Talon

I don't know if the civility has changed, but the pace has which makes the site seem less intense. But I miss the pace. Big news drops and there will be 10 replies in 24 hours. Bit of a shame, but I think GAF will bounce back.

JordanN

Banned
GAF isn't dead. It just has a lesser amount of the people who posted 60 - 120 times a day about anything and everything.

Don't forget some of their content.

"First post nails it!"
"*PopGAF reaction gifs*"
"Fuck Drumpf"
"GAF, I saw a squirrel today and now I'm scared."

Bigger posts =/= better posts.

No thanks.

GAF is still the only major forum that has a neutral and relaxed atmosphere. Take that away and all you got is another internet forum that gets flooded by extreme left or right posters.

Losing that strength just to pander for some short term benefits means I'm gone.

Edit: It reminds me when MMO's go from a paid service to Free 2 play but still end up sucking. Accessibility doesn't 100% mean success.

Right now GAF feels like every other gaming forum on the internet though. It has lost everything that set it apart and it's slow as treacle.

Takyon

I didn't mind NeoGAF being openly left-wing biased. balanced with my other reading habits, the perspective was useful.

Swiggins

I dunno what OP is smoking but more 'civil' this forum certainly aint, case and point...this thread right here.

GAF is a shell of what it used to be, and despite some people celebrating the departure of the "librul snowflakes" you cannot deny that they've seemingly taken pretty much all of the talent and ambition with them.

I'll take slightly delayed moderation if it means I can actually talk.

I don't even think I hold any particularly noxious beliefs, and I'm happy to be corrected if I do, but carefully crafting responses for minimal offense was too much anxiety, even for the great discussion that often happened in OT. I know I often come across harshly, and I had -100% interest in trying to explain myself clearly to a screeching horde. Too much stress, too little gain. I even prefer the slower pace. It could stand to pick up a bit, and it will, but goddamn, reading GAF threads at the peak was a slog. There's just nothing new under the sun, and when you get that many people together, you wind up with a lot of really similar responses.

I still would really like modern forum software. Xenforo is so good. I've been spoiled, and it feels absolutely archaic to not have threads open to where I left off automatically, and having to actually voice my agreement to a post instead of clicking 'like'.

JordanN

Banned
I see you pulling some of the same shit.

Other than Drumpf (which I only used because a user really hated that word so I used it to play with him. I don't actually believe Trump's name is Drumpf) I never participated in those one-liner posts.

And I haven't made threads in forever so that also rules out any blog like tendencies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Other than Drumpf (which I only used because a user really hated that word so I used it to play with him. I don't actually believe Trump's name is Drumpf) I never participated in those one-liner posts.

And I haven't made threads in forever so that also rules out any blog like tendencies.

Eh, I can see that you're feeling emboldened. If you want me to point out a particular thread, just ask.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces return. Maybe they just decided to duck down for a while. Maybe they were cast out from the utopia and had the foresight to not suicide their account here.

Taking shots at posters who participated on the site is silly. The amount of traffic is what made gaf gaf.

Ot in particular is on life support and has been ever since EL made that rash decision to try and get rid of it. Made it easy for people to leave and never look back.

Gaming side doesn’t seem to be faring much better if the game awards ot and other recent news threads is any indication. Difference is stark. I wouldn’t be surprised if gaf never even makes it to the promised forum updates.

Blam

Taking shots at posters who participated on the site is silly. The amount of traffic is what made gaf gaf.

Ot in particular is on life support and has been ever since EL made that rash decision to try and get rid of it. Made it easy for people to leave and never look back.

Gaming side doesn’t seem to be faring much better if the game awards ot and other recent news threads is any indication. Difference is stark. I wouldn’t be surprised if gaf never even makes it to the promised forum updates.

Yeah this is the point I'm trying to get across. What made GAF was not just the community. But the insane traffic it had nearly 24/7.

Now that one is gone completely, and one has been diminished insanely what happens now? Where do the nearly 30K members we would get on all the time go? How do we return to that number or get them back in some capacity?

highrider

Banned
I can say on a personal level I enjoy interacting with the forum more, but I’m old and naturally gravitate toward slow paced things lol. The posting quality has dropped more due to a lack of moderation than anything, most of the old heads that are still here understand how tenuous the forum is right now. It’s not hard to weed through the bad discussions to find something cool though, but as a business of course GAF is like a kitchen nightmares restaurant before Gordon comes in and saves the day ( hopefully ).

Blam

I can say on a personal level I enjoy interacting with the forum more, but I’m old and naturally gravitate toward slow paced things lol. The posting quality has dropped more due to a lack of moderation than anything, most of the old heads that are still here understand how tenuous the forum is right now. It’s not hard to weed through the bad discussions to find something cool though, but as a business of course GAF is like a kitchen nightmares restaurant before Gordon comes in and saves the day ( hopefully ).

Yeah I hope it improves, but I also hope it gets quite a bit more active. It needs it. I'm pretty sure users online is around 200-300 about right now.

TheContact

Seems about the same, but with less people. That's what really kills it for me. Topics are slow to move and, for comparison, the Xenoblade OT in gaming is 5 pages long here, whereas it's almost 200 on the other forum

The boards feel old in comparison but I do remember seeing a post saying they were working on upgrading the backend so that will be nice once it happens. I hope it can get more users back too but that other forum kinda stole most of them from here, and any new users who didn't necessarily browse GAF went over to the new forum because of all the attention it got

Blam

Seems about the same, but with less people. That's what really kills it for me. Topics are slow to move and, for comparison, the Xenoblade OT in gaming is 5 pages long here, whereas it's almost 200 on the other forum

The boards feel old in comparison but I do remember seeing a post saying they were working on upgrading the backend so that will be nice once it happens. I hope it can get more users back too but that other forum kinda stole most of them from here, and any new users who didn't necessarily browse GAF went over to the new forum because of all the attention it got

Yes Tes they are upgrading the forum to XenForo. We'd need like a couple thousand new members to get a similar userbase back.

Off topic and since I saw the deleted post, Nick please don't talk about something you don't know anything about.

Top Bottom