• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thundercats Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
some details:

- 26 episodes (2 seasons worth going by typical CN season length) guranteed. total story is 52 eps
- Clancy Brown as Grune and Robin Atkins Downes as Mumm-Ra.
- Mummra is trapped in some stone at the beginning
- Thunder Tank is able to break off into motorcycles

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/04/03/wondercon-2011-the-thundercats-panel-and-new-trailer/

some extra images (that weren't in the trailer) here
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/...ed-series-trailer-plus-first-images-of-wily-k

Subitai

I knew it would look better in motion, but even this exceeded my expectations.

Glad the rest of you are mostly on board now.

Novid

Banned
Ok Now that yall seen the trailer.

The Writers had many discussions about the Third Earth issue, but they were wise to make it sort of a long term colony of sorts. It gives it the Post Human world vibe we were looking for.

As for the animation, that was done 18 months ago but they are getting way, way better.

I asked why they didnt get Shredder from the TMNT2k3 and they said he was still working at 4Kids last they heard. They got the best voice for the job, but i still personally want Shredder.

Why 26 episodes first season? (which in ATL land, is 13X2) - its really simple. Contract is only 2 years. The Toys got to sell like crazy the first 18 months and then we can go very, very long term. (see Ben Ten).

The Silver Hawks remake is bandied about - but were going to do something to BOTH series that will make BOTH happy.

The CGI thing is still a problem, but even that is out of our power.

Im hearing that wonder con was a success, onward to the big dance at ComicCon

Novid

Banned
They didnt too horrible with the Thunderkittens. I guess moe being so popluar for years over there they would perfect miss Kit.

Novid said:
Ok Now that yall seen the trailer.

The Writers had many discussions about the Third Earth issue, but they were wise to make it sort of a long term colony of sorts. It gives it the Post Human world vibe we were looking for.

As for the animation, that was done 18 months ago but they are getting way, way better.

I asked why they didnt get Shredder from the TMNT2k3 and they said he was still working at 4Kids last they heard. They got the best voice for the job, but i still personally want Shredder.

Why 26 episodes first season? (which in ATL land, is 13X2) - its really simple. Contract is only 2 years. The Toys got to sell like crazy the first 18 months and then we can go very, very long term. (see Ben Ten).

The Silver Hawks remake is bandied about - but were going to do something to BOTH series that will make BOTH happy.

The CGI thing is still a problem, but even that is out of our power.

Im hearing that wonder con was a success, onward to the big dance at ComicCon

I was at the WonderCon panel and after being indifferent to the original news, I was pretty much a convert afterwards. Especially after seeing the slides and listening to the producers - everything looks incredible. And it was great knowing that all of the classic storylines/places/characters will be getting a fresh coat of paint with this seemingly more grandiose scale.

Oh and I have no problem with Snarf being more like a Pokémon - I hated the original version of him as a little kid because I thought he was annoying.

Novid

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
I was at the WonderCon panel and after being indifferent to the original news, I was pretty much a convert afterwards. Especially after seeing the slides and listening to the producers - everything looks incredible. And it was great knowing that all of the classic storylines/places/characters will be getting a fresh coat of pain with this seemingly more grandiose scale.

Oh and I have no problem with Snarf being more like a Pokémon - I hated the original version of him as a little kid because I thought he was annoying.

Im happy you like. To me, these are the series that networks are reborn in. And i gonna do everything to make it the best all over the world (almost have one of my Kanye moments...)

Suairyu

Banned
omg omg omg

That looks really good. Sensible update to the source material, taking inspiration from the original but not being slave to it in any sense. Loved the notes of the classic theme at the end - will that be used throughout the series?

Novid

Banned
Suairyu said:
omg omg omg

That looks really good. Sensible update to the source material, taking inspiration from the original but not being slave to it in any sense. Loved the notes of the classic theme at the end - will that be used throughout the series?

What you heard is one of the two themes. (Not the op/ed but one of the two opening themes.)

Novid

Banned
vectorman06 said:
Silverhawk remake? My bro would go crazy if that happen...

We have intresting ideas on how that will take off. Not saying anything yet because its still being bandied about.

Novid said:
Im happy you like. To me, these are the series that networks are reborn in. And i gonna do everything to make it the best all over the world (almost have one of my Kanye moments...)

Well thank you for honoring the old while making it feel new again. d(^_^o)

Also loved the reasoning behind the ThunderKittens, as it makes sense to show different types of cats, hence them having tails while others don't. But yeah, everyone seemed to cheer for the Snarf refresh and don't mind that he speaks in a language that only Lion-O understands. :)

Novid

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Well thank you for honoring the old while making it feel new again. d(^_^o)

Also loved the reasoning behind the ThunderKittens, as it makes sense to show different types of cats, hence them having tails while others don't. But yeah, everyone seemed to cheer for the Snarf refresh and don't mind that he speaks in a language that only Lion-O understands. :)

Like the past series, This version of the series is inspired by the all of the anime/Super Sentai/Masked Rider ideas that came before or during it. So the Pokemon, Mecha, Power Rangers (ThunderTank) aspets of DBZ, Some from Bleach, a little of naruto - and a lots and lots of Berserk, (DUH!) are all insperations.

But of course, we have to compete not only with CN's work - and Nicks, and Disney XD's and The Hub's - but many of the live action work because some want to move up. (I Don't cause this is BIG TIME for me.)

Novid

Banned
Suairyu said:
Not the op but one of the opening? I'm confused.

I said before there are two versions of the Opening. A Remix and a Theatrical. The one you heard was the Theatrical.

Novid

Banned
From The Dust said:
who does the cgi? does WB have it done in-house or to they outsource that as well?

Its from one of Studio 4C's boys. Like I said, we have no control on that side outside of the main story board and instructions (but they been so nice to us expecially during what happend over there recently)

Novid said:
We have intresting ideas on how that will take off. Not saying anything yet because its still being bandied about.

I'd love to see, but the opening music can't be changed.

It's already perfect.

Ahhh they fucked Panthro up!

-He's no longer smooth shaved head and now is simply balding.

-He now looks like a mangy, shaggy, scared and cut up, mess.

-I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even black anymore.

They did Tigra justice. And the Wily kittens look cool.

Dark Octave said:
Ahhh they fucked Panthro up!

-He's no longer smooth shaved head and now is simply balding.

-He now looks like a mangy, shaggy, scared and cut up, mess.

-I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even black anymore.

They did Tigra justice. And the Wily kittens look cool.

Pantro looks like Jet. he is automaticly awesome

Novid

Banned
But i got some news for yall. San Diego Comic Con is near. Corprate is bringing the cast and what I hear - the first episode before it airs for a preview on the week of the 25th on CN:

Big Bosses Press Release:

Brodcasting and Cable/WBTVPress Release said:
Warner Bros. Television Group announced Tuesday the schedule for Comic-Con International: San Diego, with 16 series added to the roster for the convention, as well as a booth set up for signings, special events and fan giveaways.

The studio will bring the stars and producers of The Big Bang Theory, Chuck, Fringe, Nikita, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Childrens Hospital and new series Alcatraz, Person of Interest, The Secret Circle to the convention, with sneak peek premieres of the new shows on preview night. Warner Bros. Animation will also bring The Green Lantern: The Animated Series, The Looney Tunes Show, MAD, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, ThunderCats and Young Justice to the convention.

The WBTV's 3,000 square-foot space at the convention will include autograph signings, interactive kiosks featuring video games from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

The TV series schedule is below.

Friday, July 22

MAD: 10:00-11:00 a.m., Room 25ABC
The Big Bang Theory: 12:30-1:30 p.m., Ballroom 20
Childrens Hospital: 1:30-2:20 p.m., Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Green Lantern: The Animated Series: 2:00-3:00 p.m., Room 6BCF
ThunderCats: 3:30-4:30 p.m., Room 6A

Saturday, July 23

Chuck: 10:00-10:45 a.m., Ballroom 20
The Vampire Diaries: 3:30-4:15 p.m., Ballroom 20
Fringe: 4:15-5:00 p.m., Ballroom 20
Alcatraz: 5:00-6:00 p.m., Ballroom 20
The Secret Circle: 5:10-6:00 p.m., Room 6BCF
Nikita: 6:00-6:45 p.m., Room 6BCF
Person of Interest: 6:45-7:30 p.m., Room 6BCF

Sunday, July 24

Young Justice: 10:00-11:00 a.m., Room 7AB
Supernatural: 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m., Hall H
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: 1:00-2:00 p.m., Room 6A
The Looney Tunes Show: 2:15-3:15 p.m., Room 6A

I dont know much about the way ComicCon is set up but 6A is a good room right?

Novid

Banned
zmoney said:
So when does this show start? Or has it already started?

The first episode will air either by the week before Comic-Con or three days after the comic-con introduction of the show. The series will not start until November at the earliest (as i know so far.)

Slayven

New infos

IGN`s guide to the new series, plenty of new interesting news:

1) Tygra is Lion-O`s adopted big brother and he is not happy that Lion-O is handed the crown, Tygra feels that he is more deserving and more qualified to be King.

2) The entire Kingdom of Thundera agrees with Tygra and is weary of Lion-O.

3) There will be a love triangle between Lion-O/Cheetara/Tygra.

4) Panthro is the best fighter of the group followed by Cheetara followed by Tygra. Lion-O is the worst fighter of the group.

5) Mumm-ra will be brought on slowly and mysteriously

A bunch of new art and character breakdowns on the page

http://tv.ign.com/articles/117/1176532p1.html

Slayven

X-Frame said:
It says Cheetara is the best fighter, not Panthro ..
No it doesn't

Panthro used to be a general in the king's army in Thundera. So he's the one always shaking his head when Lion-O wants to do something stupid on the military front. And on top of all that he's still the best fighter of the group. He's actually turned out to be a pretty cool character, just like on the old show."

ckohler

Cartoon Network has posted a new 30 second promo for the series premier. I've captured it. Enjoy.

Video:
ThundercatsPromo.mp4 - 7MB

Photos:
TygraEyes.png

TygraPunch.png

CheetaraEyes.png

CheetaraFighting.png

LionOEyes.png

LionOWielding.png

MumRaCloseup.png

MumRaCasting.png

SwordAndShield.png

EyeOfThundara.png

Logo.png

Snarf.png

Novid

Banned
ckohler said:
Cartoon Network has posted a new 30 second promo for the series premier. I've captured it. Enjoy.

Video:
ThundercatsPromo.mp4 - 7MB

Photos:
TygraEyes.png

TygraPunch.png

CheetaraEyes.png

CheetaraFighting.png

LionOEyes.png

LionOWielding.png

MumRaCloseup.png

MumRaCasting.png

SwordAndShield.png

EyeOfThundara.png

Logo.png

Snarf.png

Folks this just the start. You will say HOLY SHIT by the end of the first episode. We going on that Transendent phase you know - Batman TAS type series?

Dali

I think I've already said it once ITT, but I'm really liking the new designs. The animation in the promo was kind of iffy in spots. For instance it seemed to be lacking some movement and emotion when the characters speak and the iconic transformation looked like shit and didn't seem like a special moment at all. That's the biggest problem I spotted in the promo. The transformation scene was crap animation indistinguishable from everything else. Is splurging on a well-animated transformation scene that can be reused over the course of the series no longer considered an option? Hopefully this isn't indicative of the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom