• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

EleventhDoctor
Banned
(04-11-2011, 08:53 PM)
EleventhDoctor's Avatar

Originally Posted by dralla

The combat was a lot of fun UC2. I really hope they continue to push the "sandboxy-ness" of it in UC3 and don't go the totally scripted route. There are fights in UC2 I've played 5+ times and still have fun with them just messing around with different tactics/weapons.

As for Dead Space, I think Mark oversold it to Garnett. I like the games but the way Mark talks about it is really strange. There's really not a creative bone in its body, everything in DS has been done before, its strength is in its execution. If you go in expecting something new or evolutionary in the horror genre, you will be very disappointed.

But it's really the polish and refinement that game has that makes it so unique. The way that it never breaks perspective to tell it's story-all the map/inventory management is done in game, unpaused-and I think Dead Space was the first to do the "click the stick" to see a line showing you where to go, should you get turned around. Dead Space and it's sequel and incredibly polished, but all you heard them talk about were it's faults-Jeff jumped on the "asteroid shooting scene" which is maybe 10 minutes tops out of the entire game-and Garnet inexplicably latched on to his Doom 3 comparison and wouldn't back down. "IT'S THE SAME GAME!"
Bigfoot
Member
(04-11-2011, 08:57 PM)
Bigfoot's Avatar
You do have to give Garnett credit for at least trying to play Dead Space more than 2 years after it was released. I honestly never expected him to play it and he did play over 25% of the game.

It is too bad he didn't like it when so many of us do (including myself). I did think they were all a bit harsh on it though. It sounded like they actually hated it instead of just simply not liking it much.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(04-11-2011, 08:59 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Porthos

You do have to give Garnett credit for at least trying to play Dead Space more than 2 years after it was released. I honestly never expected him to play it and he did play over 25% of the game.

It is too bad he didn't like it when so many of us do (including myself). I did think they were all a bit harsh on it though. It sounded like they actually hated it instead of just simply not liking it much.

I agree, good on him for finally getting around to playing it. The danger there is by then there's been two years of hype to sink its hooks into Garnett's brain. I'd say if he'd played it day one there is a chance he may have enjoyed it more. But, that's neither here nor there. On to Nier!
Dogfacedgod
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:00 PM)
Dogfacedgod's Avatar

Originally Posted by MDavis360

I think Dead Space was the first to do the "click the stick" to see a line showing you where to go, should you get turned around.

Wasn't Fable doing that sans the need to click the stick?
D4Danger
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:02 PM)
this is why we can't have nice things
StuBurns
Banned
(04-11-2011, 09:04 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

I agree, good on him for finally getting around to playing it. The danger there is by then there's been two years of hype to sink its hooks into Garnett's brain. I'd say if he'd played it day one there is a chance he may have enjoyed it more. But, that's neither here nor there. On to Nier!

Oh my, I foresee the death count debate coming back...
Brandon F
Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
(04-11-2011, 09:09 PM)
Brandon F's Avatar

Originally Posted by Porthos

You do have to give Garnett credit for at least trying to play Dead Space more than 2 years after it was released. I honestly never expected him to play it and he did play over 25% of the game.

It is too bad he didn't like it when so many of us do (including myself). I did think they were all a bit harsh on it though. It sounded like they actually hated it instead of just simply not liking it much.

They all needed to step back from the discussion and gather their thoughts. Just a very unprepared discussion. At no point did anyone seem to have a grasp on their stance. It was three contrarian stances, without any foundation, coming across as word vomit to the outside listener.

Andrea probably doesn't know if she actually would like it given her uncomfortable handling of the gameplay and mood. Fine and good, but to lambast the game was a disservice. Her argument needed to end with 'I just had problems playing it'. Period.

Jeff and Garnett were all over the map. It made for awkward radio as it became impossible to follow or grasp any cohesive reasoning.
JaxJag
Banned
(04-11-2011, 09:09 PM)
JaxJag's Avatar
Mirror's Edge is a game that does action, without making you kill anyone.
LiK
(04-11-2011, 09:11 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaxJag

Mirror's Edge is a game that does action, without making you kill anyone.

Yup, I got that achievement. :D
DOBERMAN INC
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:12 PM)
DOBERMAN INC's Avatar
Just thought I'd pop in and say good show guys.

We the silent majority still love you.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(04-11-2011, 09:13 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dogfacedgod

Wasn't Fable doing that sans the need to click the stick?

Army of Two had a similar function.

Originally Posted by JaxJag

Mirror's Edge is a game that does action, without making you kill anyone.

And what a great game it was, too bad it didn't sell very well and we may never get another.
HamPster PamPster
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:14 PM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

I agree, good on him for finally getting around to playing it. The danger there is by then there's been two years of hype to sink its hooks into Garnett's brain. I'd say if he'd played it day one there is a chance he may have enjoyed it more. But, that's neither here nor there. On to Nier!

Butchering a sacred cow each week does sound like a fantastic idea
  • Dead Space
  • Nier *on deck*
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Yakuza 4

Weekend Confirmed threads are starting to get interesting!
LiK
(04-11-2011, 09:15 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

Butchering a sacred cow each week does sound like a fantastic idea

  • Dead Space
  • Nier *on deck*
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Yakuza 4

Weekend Confirmed threads are starting to get interesting!

"Nier plays like Final Fantasy!"

Done. :p
Dreohboy
Junior Member
(04-11-2011, 09:19 PM)
Dreohboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

I think you guys need a consistent third and fourth chair. I thought Shane was supposed to be regularly this year. I loved 1UPYours and I love WC, but I think what is needed is for people to not be afraid to say people are wrong. I think this comes with chemistry that cannot form when there is constant movement of cast members. I think having Shane and Jon on consistently would be good. Permanent members of the show I think would make this show even better.


+1000

Show definitely shines with 3 regulars.

I think Jeff and Garnett do a great job, but the show lost something when Brian left. He had a somewhat cynical, yet at times fun view of games and gamers in general that worked well with Jeff and Garnett.

I can understand why finding a good replacement (Shane would be perfect) has been hard.
jetjevons
Bish loves my games!
(04-11-2011, 09:24 PM)
jetjevons's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ellis Kim

He doesn't like scary stuff, period. Said as much multiple times.

Dead Space isn't scary anyways.

Was for me. Also, congrats on another great show guys. Love it. Keep it up.
StuBurns
Banned
(04-11-2011, 09:29 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

Butchering a sacred cow each week does sound like a fantastic idea

  • Dead Space
  • Nier *on deck*
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Yakuza 4

Weekend Confirmed threads are starting to get interesting!

Garnett ripped on Mirror's Edge a ton.
Nizz
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:30 PM)
Nizz's Avatar
Wow, ten pages! I don't think I've seen a bigger WC thread. I haven't finished listening to the whole show yet, kind of busy this weekend. And I know it's probably been mentioned but I can't help but feel frustrated at the Dead Space talk.

Garnett was, at least to me, sending mixed signals on the genre in general. He likes being scared, he doesn't. He likes survival horror, he doesn't like survival horror. I wonder if the game would have had a bigger impact on him had he played it in its launch window?

I think one reason Dead Space connected with me a lot was that it released a couple of months before RE5 and I hadn't really played a survival horror game in that vein since RE4. I was anxious to play RE5 and Dead Space more than filled the void to me.

It did have similar themes to Doom 3 but I feel calling it a third person Doom 3 was selling Dead Space short. There were the unique, industrial style weapons to take out the creatures rather than the usual machine gun/assault rifles. The puzzle elements were also a lot of fun. I wonder if he made it to the satellite array?

Plus the zero g/ space vacuum sections. I had never, ever played a game where I was in a zero g environment or ever played in the vacuum of space as well done as it was in Dead Space imo. Also, the use of sound in those levels really sold the sections. It really immersed me. Matter of fact, I only chose to play the game at night. Lights off, with headphones on and it was an awesome experience.

I don't think (or expect) any of what I said to change Garnett's mind. Just wanted to point out why I think the game really connected with me. :)
LiK
(04-11-2011, 09:30 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreohboy

+1000

Show definitely shines with 3 regulars.

I think Jeff and Garnett do a great job, but the show lost something when Brian left. He had a somewhat cynical, yet at times fun view of games and gamers in general that worked well with Jeff and Garnett.

I can understand why finding a good replacement (Shane would be perfect) has been hard.

I thought Mattas was a regular. I think he was just off for this episode.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(04-11-2011, 09:30 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Garnett ripped on Mirror's Edge a ton.

Who didn't, quite frankly.
Dogfacedgod
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:39 PM)
Dogfacedgod's Avatar

Originally Posted by purple cobra

Garnett was, at least to me, sending mixed signals on the genre in general. He likes being scared, he doesn't. He likes survival horror, he doesn't like survival horror.

You can like horror movies but not like all horror movies. It seems to me that for some reason when it comes to games people think if you're a fan of a genre you have to love every game in that genre.

I know that's not what you're saying here, but sometimes it's tough to articulate why something doesn't float your boat. I got the impression that this was the case in Garnett vs. Deadspace.
JABEE
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:52 PM)
JABEE's Avatar

Originally Posted by purple cobra

Wow, ten pages! I don't think I've seen a bigger WC thread. I haven't finished listening to the whole show yet, kind of busy this weekend. And I know it's probably been mentioned but I can't help but feel frustrated at the Dead Space talk.

Garnett was, at least to me, sending mixed signals on the genre in general. He likes being scared, he doesn't. He likes survival horror, he doesn't like survival horror. I wonder if the game would have had a bigger impact on him had he played it in its launch window?

I think one reason Dead Space connected with me a lot was that it released a couple of months before RE5 and I hadn't really played a survival horror game in that vein since RE4. I was anxious to play RE5 and Dead Space more than filled the void to me.

It did have similar themes to Doom 3 but I feel calling it a third person Doom 3 was selling Dead Space short. There were the unique, industrial style weapons to take out the creatures rather than the usual machine gun/assault rifles. The puzzle elements were also a lot of fun. I wonder if he made it to the satellite array?

Plus the zero g/ space vacuum sections. I had never, ever played a game where I was in a zero g environment or ever played in the vacuum of space as well done as it was in Dead Space imo. Also, the use of sound in those levels really sold the sections. It really immersed me. Matter of fact, I only chose to play the game at night. Lights off, with headphones on and it was an awesome experience.

I don't think (or expect) any of what I said to change Garnett's mind. Just wanted to point out why I think the game really connected with me. :)

The reason why these discussions are long is because people love these podcasts and are passionate about them. In order to have any kind of passionate response to the podcast, people have to really care about the show. I think that is something that is often missed in these thread where apologists and haters are labeled. They are all one in the same. They care deeply about this show succeeding and entertaining them. Without this passion there would be no praise or criticism.
Dogfacedgod
Member
(04-11-2011, 09:54 PM)
Dogfacedgod's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

The reason why these discussions are long is because people love these podcasts and are passionate about them. In order to have any kind of passionate response to the podcast, people have to really care about the show. I think that is something that is often missed in these thread where apologists and haters are labeled. They are all one in the same. They care deeply about this show succeeding and entertaining them. Without this passion there would be no praise or criticism.


Amen.
LiK
(04-11-2011, 09:55 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

The reason why these discussions are long is because people love these podcasts and are passionate about them. In order to have any kind of passionate response to the podcast, people have to really care about the show. I think that is something that is often missed in these thread where apologists and haters are labeled. They are all one in the same. They care deeply about this show succeeding and entertaining them. Without this passion there would be no praise or criticism.

Wise words. *sniff*
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(04-11-2011, 09:58 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

The reason why these discussions are long is because people love these podcasts and are passionate about them. In order to have any kind of passionate response to the podcast, people have to really care about the show. I think that is something that is often missed in these thread where apologists and haters are labeled. They are all one in the same. They care deeply about this show succeeding and entertaining them. Without this passion there would be no praise or criticism.

If this was an 80's movie this is where I would start a slow clap.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(04-11-2011, 10:12 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar
*golf clap*
Curufinwe
Member
(04-11-2011, 10:14 PM)
Curufinwe's Avatar
I don't suppose Garnett has played Vanquish, but there's a game where the fact most of the enemies are robots means you get to play a great 3rd person shooter without having to the experience the anguish of murdering hundreds of people in cold blood.
Splash Wave
Member
(04-11-2011, 10:17 PM)
Splash Wave's Avatar
Has anyone mentioned the brief transition from Dead Space to Infinity Blade yet? That was weird.
LiK
(04-11-2011, 10:20 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jimmy Stav

Has anyone mentioned the brief transition from Dead Space to Infinity Blade yet? That was weird.

Let's not speak of it.
ArjanN
Member
(04-11-2011, 10:22 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by purple cobra

Wow, ten pages!

5 pages.

Controversy sells. :P
Nizz
Member
(04-11-2011, 10:30 PM)
Nizz's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

5 pages.

Controversy sells. :P

This is what I was getting at in my original post. ;)

Originally Posted by JABEE

The reason why these discussions are long is because people love these podcasts and are passionate about them. In order to have any kind of passionate response to the podcast, people have to really care about the show. I think that is something that is often missed in these thread where apologists and haters are labeled. They are all one in the same. They care deeply about this show succeeding and entertaining them. Without this passion there would be no praise or criticism.

I understand that. Plenty of people are passionate about this show, me included. I just found it funny that it's like twice the size of the usual WC threads due to the "controversy". :p
JeffCannata
Junior Member
(04-11-2011, 10:46 PM)

Originally Posted by MrPliskin

Jeff - This thread waits for you:


http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406418

This is fantastic - excellent picks, too.
Margalis
Banned
(04-11-2011, 10:54 PM)

Nearly every protagonist in a game where combat/shooting dudes is the core mechanic could be seen as a psychopath

Not every game tries to tell a character-driven, meaningful "cinematic" story.

Yeah, the dudes from Ikari Warriors kill a lot of guys but nobody is billing Ikari Warriors as cinematic, trying to sell you on their characters or giving you dramatic cutscenes where a single death dramatically moves them. Ikari Warriors is mechanics-driven, abstract and centered around gameplay.

Now if you make a game where you claim to offer a movie-like experience and well-written, somewhat realistic characters you should expect criticism if what you deliver is a terrible "video game movie", characters that make no sense and a laughably uneven tone.

If your character says he just wants to live a normal life and in the very next scene he kills a hooker for $5 in movie terms you are creating either a black-comedy or total garbage.


Has anyone mentioned the brief transition from Dead Space to Infinity Blade yet? That was weird.

It made sense to me. Both are games where if you've played them for 10 minutes you've played them for 10 hours. Or at least that was the claim.
LiK
(04-11-2011, 10:59 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Margalis

It made sense to me. Both are games where if you've played them for 10 minutes you've played them for 10 hours. Or at least that was the claim.

shows what they know. they didn't even encounter the later sections with bosses and more enemy types and weapons. Garnett made it to the bridge and stop there. still pretty early. he wonders why we DS fans gave him a hard time about it.
Margalis
Banned
(04-11-2011, 11:48 PM)
In general "this game gets good if you play long enough" is not a great argument and indicative of a design flaw.
LiK
(04-11-2011, 11:52 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Margalis

In general "this game gets good if you play long enough" is not a great argument and indicative of a design flaw.

it was already awesome right from the start for me. but Garnett was expecting something wildly life changing or something.
bigdaddygamebot
(04-11-2011, 11:54 PM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roc Gaude

If I lived in Canada, I'd be the key source of this excitement...every friggin' day. ;)


You're so dead when you move to Canada, Roc.


Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

Butchering a sacred cow each week does sound like a fantastic idea

  • Dead Space
  • Nier *on deck*
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Yakuza 4

Weekend Confirmed threads are starting to get interesting!


Actually...I could get behind this.
DevelopmentArrested
Banned
(04-11-2011, 11:55 PM)
DevelopmentArrested's Avatar
This thread was more entertaining than the podcast itself
LiK
(04-11-2011, 11:55 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigdaddygamebot

You're so dead when you move to Canada, Roc.

the only reason to move to Canada is to work at BioWare. other than that, avoid. ;)
Curufinwe
Member
(04-11-2011, 11:57 PM)
Curufinwe's Avatar
I don't think Garnett was creepy on this episode. Not at all.
bigdaddygamebot
(04-11-2011, 11:58 PM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

the only reason to move to Canada is to work at BioWare. other than that, avoid. ;)


You don't understand how terrifying it is in Alberta though. Everyone is forced to live in the basement of the West Edmonton Mall and they commute to work on oil-spewing, robotic Albertasaurusesesusessessesuss. (sp?)
HamPster PamPster
Member
(04-12-2011, 12:03 AM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar

Originally Posted by DevelopmentArrested

This thread was more entertaining than the podcast itself

Agreed. With a thread like this the bombcast commenters better drop a bomb on this week's bombcast thread or risk becoming the number 3 podcast on GAF (with Weekend Confirmed stepping up to # 2)

This Is Only A Test is already number 1 but no one knows it yet
Aruarian Reflection
Chauffeur de la gdlk
(04-12-2011, 12:29 AM)
Aruarian Reflection's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

Agreed. With a thread like this the bombcast commenters better drop a bomb on this week's bombcast thread or risk becoming the number 3 podcast on GAF (with Weekend Confirmed stepping up to # 2)

This Is Only A Test is already number 1 but no one knows it yet

Put your brofist right here. Tested rocks and is one of only a few podcasts I still listen to. The golden age of gaming podcasts was truly excellent (Brodeo / 1up yours era), but even after those good times had long passed, I still listened to a bunch of podcasts out of habit. I finally wised up one day and realized that I did not care about these people's opinions at all, and everything they were saying was essentially white noise to keep me distracted during chores/gym. Weekend Confirmed was a big culprit, filled with inane arguments for the sake of arguing that went nowhere.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I listened to a Garnett podcast, but I came in here because the thread was blowing up ;) Drama is delicious!
Mega Man
Member
(04-12-2011, 02:02 AM)
Mega Man's Avatar
I have a question, What ever happened to Cannatafford a new game? I thought that was a great segment, but has kinda fallen to the wayside as of late. You guys should bring that back!
sikkinixx
Member
(04-12-2011, 02:21 AM)
sikkinixx's Avatar
I liked the episode. The talk was pretty good, went a little off sometimes but I'm not too surprised by that. Garnett being called a kid made me chuckle, it's hard to not love the guy, he comes across like his feelings get wounded a little sometimes.

Can't get the fucking "Can't stop ma shine!" outta my head.
bigdaddygamebot
(04-12-2011, 02:40 AM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Margalis


It made sense to me. Both are games where if you've played them for 10 minutes you've played them for 10 hours. Or at least that was the claim.


You need to play both of them again...this time for more than 10 or even 20 minutes. If you want to be reductive, you could say that same thing about many games.
StevePharma
Member
(04-12-2011, 08:56 AM)
StevePharma's Avatar
Why not make a "A-Team game"? That was kind of an action series and they didn't murder ANYONE ever and also shot a lot of bullets.....

How fun would that be huh? People still want to shoot stuff but would never hit anything directly. :P
jax (old)
Banned
(04-12-2011, 09:24 AM)
jax (old)'s Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Uncharted is best example I can think of. He's meant to be a charming rogue character. Niko for example is a disgusting piece of shit, he's meant to be seen like that, they frame him that way.

If you just take the highest rated PS3 games in order, GTA4 covered, Uncharted 2 is second. It's very prominent in people's minds. Next is RDR, straight away he's a self confessed killer, BioShock, they're crazy, you have no choice. MGS4 they address it within the game, Snake throws up etc. MW1, I can't remember any of them, but they're military. You have to go down to Uncharted 1 till there's another really good example. That's it on the first page of top rated PS3 games on Game Rankings.

Uncharted is the example that always comes up, but I think there are good reasons for that.



I personally don't have a problem with the kills Nathan makes. They're all crimininals n thugs. Its not like the game didn't have the stealth level where you kill no one (Except its not as fun when its stealth). So its understandable to me that in UC where its practically a warzone Nathan lands in, that there's gonna be some shooting.It is a videogame. You could apply the same "notions" to lara croft. Treasure hunter + killer.

Btw... this latest podcasts and the number of time dissonance gets thrown around had me rolling my eyes.

dissonance
dissonance
dissonance
dissonance
dissonance
dissonance
Flavius
Member
(04-12-2011, 01:33 PM)
Flavius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rahxephon91

Even Batman has killed a dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULSvR6hhyI

Blew my mind as a kid.

More than one. He also flambes a dude with his Batmobile in that same sequence.
Roc Gaude
Member
(04-12-2011, 08:08 PM)
Roc Gaude's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

the only reason to move to Canada is to work at BioWare. other than that, avoid. ;)

LiK is insane, CONFIRMED! ;)
Takamura-San
Member
(04-12-2011, 08:10 PM)
Takamura-San's Avatar
Oh.... that Dead space convo was painful.

Also... No one that likes Code veronica CAN"T SHIT on dead space.

Thread Tools