• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Speedymanic
Banned
(07-12-2011, 10:10 PM)

A tipster sends us rumored word (and image) of an incoming replacement model for the 160GB Playstation 3 which brings with it a change in the way some people will hook the console up to their HD television.

The new "K" chassis, which Sony will begin shipping to retailers this week, will require customers to use an HDMI cable to play a game or watch a movie in high definition, according to the tipster. The component out, which on all other models supports high definition video modes, will no longer do so, according to a memo apparently sent around at GameStop today.

All future models of the PS3, the memo continues, will require an HDMI cable for high definition output. Previous models will not be updated to require HDMI for high definition viewing.

Finally, as GameStop puts it, offering the HDMI cables to customers picking up a PS3 will "also help you drive add-on sales."

We've reached out to Playstation for comment on the rumor and to ask why, if it's true, the change is being made. It sounds like it could be tied to digital rights management. Stay tuned.

http://kotaku.com/5820540/is-sony-qu...-a-ps3-feature

I doubt it'll affect many (if any) people, but still pretty annoying as it forces people to buy a HDMI cable.
Last edited by Speedymanic; 07-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
H_Prestige
Banned
(07-12-2011, 10:12 PM)
I don't understand the point. Does this cost Sony any money? And don't they make money selling their component cables? Aren't generic HDMI cables really cheap and easy to buy? Who is this benefitting?
demosthenes
(07-12-2011, 10:13 PM)
But they still only include SD cables w/ the PS3, disgusting.

This wouldn't be a problem if they just included a 3 or 6 foot cable. It doesn't bother me that this is happening as anyone buying a PS3 now should have a HDTV.

Originally Posted by H_Prestige

I don't understand the point. Does this cost Sony any money? And don't they make money selling their component cables? Aren't generic HDMI cables really cheap and easy to buy? Who is this benefitting?

General public doesn't buy HDMI cables on monoprice.com or even amazon.com (cheaper than stores as well). Most buy HDMI @ Target/Best Buy/Wal-Mart.
Crunched
point your penis at me,
and have a good day
(07-12-2011, 10:13 PM)
HDMI cables are like $1.
jmdajr
(07-12-2011, 10:14 PM)
A big fuck you to people with old school HDTVs...

I guess they figure anyone buying a ps3 at 199.99 skipped HDTV all together and doesn't care for it. Once they do care, the modern TVs have the connection.

I just feel bad for those who will buy monster cables...
sixteen-bit

Originally Posted by Crunched

HDMI cables are like $1.

How does that help folks with older, non-HDMI HDTVs?
Duxxy3
Unless it's removing the multi/av out i don't see why this would happen.
androvsky

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

I doubt it'll affect many (if any) people, but still pretty annoying as it forces people to buy a HDMI cable.

The cable isn't the problem, they'd still have to buy a component cable, and I dare say a cheap HDMI cable is better than a cheap component one. The annoying part is for people with older HD displays that don't support HDMI.
thegreatchamp

Originally Posted by Speedymanic

Think again. This will affect everyone who uses Component to record HD footage from their Hauppauge or any other HD recording device.
Averon
Any benefit using component out HDMI?
diffusionx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection
antonz
Banned
(07-12-2011, 10:15 PM)

Average consumer doesnt know where to get HDMI cheap so they spent 40+ on them which retailers LOVE.

At this point Sony has no reason not to include an HDMI cable. Was disappointing buying my PS3 in 2011 and having sub HD cables included in the box
DasRaven
It's a mandate from the AACS adopter forum that blu-ray players built after Dec. 2010 sunset HD over analog. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5854
Erasus
Why use component anyway? HDMI cables are cheap, and if your HDTV does not have HDMI then... wow
sixteen-bit

Originally Posted by Averon

Ant benefit to use component out HDMI?

The benefit is being able to output HD on an old HDTV.
Wolfe
(07-12-2011, 10:16 PM)

HDMI cables are like $1.

Which is why I find it perplexing that they don't just toss one in each box. Then again my new xbox 360 slim came with not only no HDMI but no component either, way to go microsoft :|

Good thing I had a left over HDMI from the cable box that I got rid of.
H_Prestige
Banned

Ant benefit to use component out HDMI?

No, HDMI is better. Problem is, some old HDTVs only have component input.
Zombie James
As long as they include an HDMI cable in the new model's box (which they should, at this point), there's no real problem. Pretty sure this is tied to a Blu-ray issue.

edit: Yup

Originally Posted by DasRaven

It's a mandate from the AACS adopter forum that blu-ray players built after Dec. 2010 sunset HD over analog. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5854

LiK
(07-12-2011, 10:17 PM)
many people like me use certain capture devices that use component. guess that's out the window with the new one.
Nix
Banned
Getting ready for the Vita compensation. Good ol' Sony.
Duxxy3
The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.
sixteen-bit
(07-12-2011, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

many people like me use certain capture devices that use component. guess that's out the window with the new one.

Yep, like all the folks who stream fighting game tournaments with the Happague PVR too. Sucks.
garath

Originally Posted by Erasus

Why use component anyway? HDMI cables are cheap, and if your HDTV does not have HDMI then... wow

Some TVs only have 1 or two HDMI inputs. Mine only has 1 and I have 4 devices that use HDMI. This will force some folks to get a HDMI switch.
jmdajr

Originally Posted by Duxxy3

The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.

yup, what have they improved besides adding bitsream hd audio?

not a damn thing.
NintendoGal

Ant benefit using component out HDMI?

Capturing video. HDCP still prevents capture via HDMI as far as I'm aware.
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
Sony should include an HDMI cable along with the PS3.
Last edited by Auto_aim1; 07-12-2011 at 10:40 PM.
goldenpp72
(07-12-2011, 10:19 PM)
guess it's time to buy a 360?

kind of non news, most all hdtvs have hdmi ports and you can score em for 3 bucks or so.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
About to go to work. If its not confirmed before I get back, i'll check the store informer.
sixteen-bit

Originally Posted by jmdajr

not a damn thing.

They removed SACD playback though. As niche as that format was, it's still a shame.
H_Prestige
Banned

If only it ran as cool as the later models. I feel like my 60gb can die at any moment, even though it hasn't given me any problems yet.
Grisby
Wow, I'm pretty sure my TV has HDMI but it is an older one. Still, thats kind of a low blow on Sony's part.
1-D_FTW

Makes sense. Such much DRM in video standards for a while (which is idiotic seeing as people can strip out all the flags on PC). Just another thing that only affects the honest people who aren't technically inclined.
Lopson
(07-12-2011, 10:20 PM)
Dear Sony,

Are you stupid?

Sincerely yours,
A PS3 user that converts Component signal to VGA to play games on a 1080p VGA-only Computer Monitor.

They are going with the industry, like sheep. They want to kill analogue for good. I will not support that bullcrap. You know why they want to kill it? Just so they can control the flow of the signal coming out of your digital media player. Disgusting.
Jocchan
Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

HDMI cables are like $1.

A new TV with a HDMI port, if yours doesn't have it, costs a little bit more ;p

Originally Posted by 1-D_FTW

Makes sense. Such much DRM in video standards for a while (which is idiotic seeing as people can strip out all the flags on PC). Just another thing that only affects the honest people who aren't technically inclined.

Yep.

Originally Posted by jmdajr

not a damn thing.

They fixed the clock.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sucks for those who want to capture video.

How are the media, hobbyists, etc going to record console footage in an HDMI-only future?

Agreed.
Erasus
(07-12-2011, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Oh I am so used to FRAPS I did not think about this.

Why cant PVRs use HDMI?
jmdajr
(07-12-2011, 10:22 PM)

Originally Posted by _dementia

They removed SACD playback though. As niche as that format was, it's still a shame.

yup. I love my 60gb. Not being able to bitsream is not a deal breaker really. My receiver can still add sound processing to the LPCM audio after the ps3 decodes the original audio.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Why cant PVRs use HDMI?

There's DRM called "HDCP" over HDMI cables... it won't let your device record.

Hackers better get to work!
Lopson

Sega Genesis.
Duxxy3

If only it ran as cool as the later models. I feel like my 60gb can die at any moment, even though it hasn't given me any problems yet.

I sold my 60GB model 3 years ago to a friend. On average that thing is on 4-8 hours a day and it's perfectly fine.
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(07-12-2011, 10:23 PM)

I can't think of any other system that has lost so many features after the launch units came out.

And this has to do with games how? Just as dumb as requiring HDCP for some games to play.

Originally Posted by androvsky

The cable isn't the problem, they'd still have to buy a component cable, and I dare say a cheap HDMI cable is better than a cheap component one. The annoying part is for people with older HD displays that don't support HDMI.

I didn't have to buy a component cable for my PS3, I used the one I had on my PS2.
Chaz Ashley
That would really be a problem for me, since we use mostly component-cables to capture footage at work. I guess I could try to use an HDMI->DVI converter, but IIRC I already tried this some time ago and got no signal because of HDCP, even when playing games.
Lazy vs Crazy

Was coming to post this.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...ill-only-outp/

Basically any new model of something that uses blu-ray has to use a digital signal to output HD signals.

Thank you, movie studios.
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)

Needs to be quoted more.

Pretty stupid IMO.
Peagles

Offering the HDMI cables will also help you drive add-on sales.

This alone suggests they probably won't include them in the box, but rather, poor folk who don't know any better will be tricked into buying a $99 HDMI cable with their purchase.

I hate this tactic...
LordK
(07-12-2011, 10:24 PM)

Oh I am so used to FRAPS I did not think about this.

Why cant PVRs use HDMI?

HDCP :(
VariantX
So, now I have to buy a brand new HDTV just to play PS3 games in HD since my HDTV is apparently too old now? Fantastic.
Lopson
This goes perfectly along with 1080i limit on Blu-ray playback over Component. Goddamnit.
Jocchan
Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer

And this has to do with games how? Just as dumb as requiring HDCP for some games to play.

The PS3 requires HDCP for everything via HDMI. My gf couldn't play our (shared) PS3 on her monitor because it wasn't HDCP-compliant.
H_Prestige
Banned
(07-12-2011, 10:25 PM)

Originally Posted by VariantX

So, now I have to buy a brand new HD tv just to play PS3 games in HD since my HD tv is apparently too old now? Fantastic.

Either that, or buy the current ps3 model.