• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime-age: Masao Maruyama, founder of Madhouse, confirms he has gone independent

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=196

During the Maruyama panel at Otakon 2011 today, Mr Maruyama confirmed that he has gone independent and left Madhouse. His new studio is called Mappa. The reason he left Madhouse to create a new studio is because the financial situation at Madhouse currently prevents him from making the shows he wants to continue to make.

Another factor is the continuation of Satoshi Kon's final movie, which has run into many setbacks and is far from complete. The work will continue at Mappa, and he hopes it will eventually be completed. He still works with Madhouse currently, even though he has left the company officially, and hopes to continue working with Madhouse in future as well, through Mappa.

Masao Maruyama is the founder of Madhouse and the producer of many well respected and well known movies, OVAs, and TV series over the past several decades. With the death of Osamu Dezaki this year, and the departure of Maruyama, Madhouse has now lost both founders to which it owes its name. The origin behind the name Madhouse is that MAD stood for Maruyama And Dezaki. Today, the world of anime has changed forever.

Nix

Banned
Well, here's hoping he actually makes something good now. At least he has creative freedom to whatever the fuck he wants (Please be a four way supernatural mainstream battle)

Amir0x

Banned
Another factor is the continuation of Satoshi Kon's final movie

This still sucks
after all this time

Anyway, this sounds bad. I think I've liked stuff from this studio before.

Jex

God dammit. This isn't good at all, I don't care if GAINAX implodes but I am rather more attached to the good works produced by Madhouse.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
Is the presence of another new studio in the marketplace actually a bad thing?

Does him leaving mean that Madhouse will never do anything good again?

Mmm depends, but he is the main reason stuff like denno coil, satoshi kon films, yuasa television series (tatami galaxy, kemonozume, kaiba) NANA and so on, ever got made to begin with, so it means we won't get any of the artsy / classy shit we love Madhouse for.

pje122 said:
Who are these blue penguin avatars...?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436548

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Is the presence of another new studio in the marketplace actually a bad thing?

Does him leaving mean that Madhouse will never do anything good again?
Possibly bad on both counts. Madhouse might lose talent and it's focus on more interesting projects while the new studio might flop, leaving everyone worse off.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
I hope Madhouse will still be around to do the second Highschool of the Dead anime.
They probably will, but the director of the first season won't be. He left too.

Defuser

That's what they get for doing shitty marvel animes! Although they been redeemed in my eyes for doing Kaiji S2.

Takao

Banned
Defuser said:
That's what they get for doing shitty marvel animes! Although they been redeemed in my eyes for doing Kaiji S2.

Given their Marvel anime has been one of the few series they've gotten on US TV in years, I'd imagine that's not been a bad project for them financially.

faridmon

Not to be a spoil sport here, but Madhouse have been way better lately than when it was formed. I don't think the quality of Anime they will produce will be affected. Also, the more the Anime studios in Japan, the better.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Aigis said:
They probably will, but the director of the first season won't be. He left too.

I'm not sure how good it would be anyway. The quality of the manga took a huuuge drop after Volume 5.

Blader

duckroll said:
Another factor is the continuation of Satoshi Kon's final movie, which has run into many setbacks and is far from complete.

:\

I thought it was supposed to be close to completion.

Cwarrior

FU marval, I hope nothing changes with Madhouse since there the only studio willing to make shows like kaiji,ippo and other while every studio is busy only pumping out loli pander bait shows.

Well at least this means there might be two studio willing make stuff that isn't just for fanservice.

Rur0ni

watatatow said:
It's called Ninja Resurrection.

Please don't kill me!
ninja_scroll.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom