• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1991 TV news story: 'Parents Upset Over a New Nintendo Console"

WillyFive

Before people were used to the idea of a new console coming out every five or so years....the Super Nintendo came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls&feature=feedu

This local news story shows parent's opinions over Nintendo releasing a brand new console. They noted that the new console couldn't even play NES games, and complained that this was the company trying to steal money from their kids.

Our videogame industry is hotter than ever this season, and one good reason: Nintendo has introduced some hot new toys. But have things gone a bit too far?

Does this really have to cost this much? Where should the anger be directed, not at the parent, but at the weapon manufacturer.

So it has come to this, therapy sessions for families that you could call 'Nintendpendents'.

First all the peer pressure starts, and I start to feel exploited.

As you can see, the 3D effect is pretty good by videogame standards.

I'm going to say No, and I am going to explain to him how people market things to make you spend more money.

This is also notable because it has beta footage of Super Mario World (with the name Super Mario Bros. 4 still in the title).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"If you're a real good player, meaning you have the skill of a nine or ten year old, you can even try to jump your car"

*crashes*

So nothing has changed in 20 years then. No surprise.

(In reference to people still bitching that the DS doesn't play GBA games)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Pretty funny considering that the late 70's/early 80's yielded like a billion different iterations on consoles.

Ramma2 said:
Adjusted for inflation:

What cost $199 in 1991 would cost $314.48 in 2010.

Conclusion:

$599 = Bricks be shat.
Neogeo was somewhere around $1,000 back then wasn't it?

I remember almost passing out seeing the games for $250 and the controller for $500.

Davidion

Dark Octave said:

I remember almost passing out seeing the games for $250 and the controller for $500.

Yes but nobody bought the fucking Neo Geo.

The above comment should not be interpreted to mean that no one WANTED the Neo Geo.

Dark Octave said:

I'm not even sure who they were marketing the NeoGeo to back then. I would have liked one, but I knew it wasn't reasonable to ask my mom for one.

zoukka

pslayer666 said:
Didn't people use the word graphics back then or what? o_O

My stepfather uses the phrase "nice picture!" still today when I show him new videogames >_>

Also the news reporter driving the F-Zero vehicle was awesome, why aren't news so good anymore?!

Josh7289

So they just show the ending of Super Mario World and then play F-Zero by moving in the wrong direction around the track. Then they blow up.

Chairhome

Wow, they spoiled the ending to SMW. Haha.

And shout out to Kid from Kid and Play who looked like he was in that focus group.

Boerseun said:
'People market things to make you spend more money.'

powerglove.jpg

F-Zero section was awesome. It was actually a better representation of the game than we usually see today when they show video games on the news.

wondermega

screw them for showing the end of Super Mario World.

Also that was the best version of F-Zero:Newsreporter Edition you'll never play, jealous

Teknoman

Aquavelvaman said:
F-Zero section was awesome. It was actually a better representation of the game than we usually see today when they show video games on the news.

Its strange that while reporters seemed to know less about games back then, they were still more open to trying them out for their viewers/being somewhat accurate about reports.

These days you still have channels playing old file footage of N64 or Xbox 1 when talking about video games.

Joe Molotov

I'm going to say No, and I am going to explain to him how people market things to make you spend more money.

20 Years later: How's that budget nursing home treating you, mom? Sure there are a lot nicer ones, but it's just a trick to get you to spend more money.

nbraun80

Joe Molotov said:
20 Years later: How's that budget nursing home treating you, mom? Sure there are a lot nicer ones, but it's just a trick to get you to spend more money.
Ha...yeah, I'm sure the kid enjoyed his Econ 101 lesson on Christmas day instead of the SNES...ha

The PBS video is actually pretty good as a talking piece rather than the shock-value local news story. Even though we know what happened to AME and Tengen, it's really interesting to hear their business objection to Nintendo's closed platform approach - something incredibly commonplace today in the phone and console marketplace.

The counterpoint that is also interesting (but rarely discussed by the press) was one of the big reasons why Nintendo used so much control over their 3rd parties - namely that they had to give Toy retailers a stable, profitable product that wouldn't be confused for the 2600. Considering they had to trick their way into retail with the ROB, a lot of what their naysayers had to say comes off just as sour grapes.

(Though they certainly did get punished for various anti-competitive business practices later)

The one story I always wanted a follow-up on, though, was that fabulous Next Generation piece where [edit] Tramiel accused Sony of price dumping.

Top Bottom