• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not like Enslaved.
But that cover is the bee's knees.

And the MvC3 one is pretty good too... it's a shame most MvC3 players have already moved on or will be upgrading to UMvC3.

Anyway, I took a stab at making one. I'm not thrilled with the work on the spine for the logo... maybe it would look better if I could put it on one of those fancy cover model type pictures. :)

Please be gentle:
mk9.final.plainvcz6.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php...1e1e1016ca814e516175eafe82e5f6babe930126g.jpg

Edit: The issue with the logo is (a) the copy I had already had artifacts and (b) the color of the font on the artwork didn't pop -- I tried adding a drop shadow to set it off a little... new version is also a little smaller, to hopefully hide the artifacts better as well.

Wondering if it would be better to (a) use the MK:Armageddon Font and just do a simple white text logo on the spine (b) shift the scale of the artwork to get more of the blue forest on the spine so the logo pops, (c) use no text whatsoever, (d) slide the logo down so it's centered into the flames, or (e) just use a simple dragon logo down in place of the region globe.

Tried the plain text/mk font.

---

How do I make the snazzy "here's what it'd look like on a case" deally?

LogicStep

RedSwirl said:
Uh... any way to get an account at abload auf Englisch? imgur doesn't know how to handle the 3D pngs.
Don't know but I used Chrome to translate it so I could register and figured out how to upload and look at my files so I don't care that it isn't in English. :p

corrosivefrost I like it! I think I see what you mean with the spine, it looks a little odd in some parts. But I like it!

At least it looked odd when it was full size but here in the smaller version it looks fine.

RedSwirl

zazrx said:
Don't know but I used Chrome to translate it so I could register and figured out how to upload and look at my files so I don't care that it isn't in English. :p

corrosivefrost I like it! I think I see what you mean with the spine, it looks a little odd in some parts. But I like it!

At least it looked odd when it was full size but here in the smaller version it looks fine.

Ich will meine Deutsch nicht testen Heute Abend.

RedSwirl

Okay here we go:

Mega Man Zero Collection

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
REALLY wanted to find a good picture of the Tactics Ogre emblem (the one that's on the front of the PAL special edition) but just couldn't, so I found the next best thing.

EDIT: Corrected TO box art.

God of War III

Valkyria Chronicles

Assassin's Creed

Crysis 2

Fallout New Vegas

The Witcher 2

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
Not the official one but Cover Project has a couple nice custom boxes for that game:
http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=5817
Was hoping to get the standard cover, but I might have to settle for one of those if I can't get it or a scan.

goku3000 said:
hey guys
what's the best paper to print these cover on?
Glossy-ness is entirely up to your preference. Semigloss is a good balance, but IMO it's still glossier than the standard covers. I couldn't imagine printing using full glossy paper. Matte would work fine, I have a few games I've bought used that had covers printed on matte.

The paper I've been using for all my covers is 240g/m², but I think that's a little too thick and will get something thinner next time. Probably something in the 150 range (standard printer paper is 80g/m² ).

Lastly, I've always heard you want to get paper that matches your printer for best results. If you have an HP printer get HP paper, and so forth. I guess companies test their paper with their own printers for the best results. I've stuck to this, but I don't know if it really makes much difference.

Fake edit: Oh! One more thing to take into consideration. Lots of PS3 games have inside cover art, so you may want paper that you can print on both sides.

RussellXV

What are the correct dimensions to print a PS3 cover art? Is it 3225x1752 or 3226x1757? The cover arts here seem to be 3225x1752, but the Resistance 2 cover art downloads from the PS Blog are 3226x1757.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
15RC said:
What are the correct dimensions to print a PS3 cover art? Is it 3225x1752 or 3226x1757? The cover arts here seem to be 3225x1752, but the Resistance 2 cover art downloads from the PS Blog are 3226x1757.
One horizontal pixel and 5 vertical pixels won't make much difference. You're talking a fraction of a millimeter at 300dpi.

RussellXV

chaosblade said:
One horizontal pixel and 5 vertical pixels won't make much difference. You're talking a fraction of a millimeter at 300dpi.
Yeah, guess I was trying to be too perfect.

Which of the HP papers is close to the actual paper for cover art? I would like to print on both sides if possible. I know photo paper is usually one sided. I've been looking at the Glossy Everyday Photo Paper and the Glossy Brochure/Flyer Paper.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
15RC said:
Yeah, guess I was trying to be too perfect.

Which of the HP papers is close to the actual paper for cover art? I would like to print on both sides if possible. I know photo paper is usually one sided.

This doesn't look like great photo paper, but it might work well for something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Everyday-P...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R17Q3D19JXG7H6

Should be able to print on both sides. It's matte, but most two sided paper will be. Glossy on both sides will probably cost you quite a bit more. Can't vouch for the quality, but as long as it doesn't murder your blacks and make them gray (like standard copy paper, ew), it should be okay.

I've been using this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005RZOR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a lot thicker and glossier than standard covers, but they come out good. It's not two sided though. Takes a long time to dry, and sometimes the glossy finish can cause the paper to stick to the plastic case liner. I'm going to try some matte next time, this might be a good choice if you decide to go with one sided paper:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008ZPNI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

corrosivefrost, I like the Mortal Kombat boxart. Might just be me but I think it'd look better if the image was flipped so that Scorpion was on the front. Idk, having the MK insignia behind him just makes it seem fitting to me. But maybe I'm crazy :p

Redswirl, That Assassin's Creed one is NICE!

Takao, awesome El Shaddai cover ;D

RussellXV

chaosblade said:
This doesn't look like great photo paper, but it might work well for something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Everyday-P...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R17Q3D19JXG7H6

Should be able to print on both sides. It's matte, but most two sided paper will be. Glossy on both sides will probably cost you quite a bit more. Can't vouch for the quality, but as long as it doesn't murder your blacks and make them gray (like standard copy paper, ew), it should be okay.

I've been using this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005RZOR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a lot thicker and glossier than standard covers, but they come out good. It's not two sided though. Takes a long time to dry, and sometimes the glossy finish can cause the paper to stick to the plastic case liner. I'm going to try some matte next time, this might be a good choice if you decide to go with one sided paper:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008ZPNI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Cool. I'll see if my Best Buy has any of these.

Murkas

I wish I knew how to print these off, my home printer is kak and I don't know if there are any local printers.

Then I gotta format it right and tell the worker to print it on this type of paper :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Murkas said:
I wish I knew how to print these off, my home printer is kak and I don't know if there are any local printers.

Then I gotta format it right and tell the worker to print it on this type of paper :(
Any print shop worth using will be able to do everything for you without you explaining anything. All you might have to do is make sure all the covers are 300dpi before you go, if not let the guy know that needs to be changed (72dpi will print a huge poster, lol).

They'll probably even offer to trim them for you (might charge a small fee for that, depends on where you go).

Shamless bragging list for awesome alternative covers:

Yakuza 3 (there's one page 3 or 4 but it's just the front)
Genji days of blade
TDU2
Dynasty Warriors Gundam
Tekken 6
Star Wars TFU 2
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2
Devil May Cry 4
Kane & Lynch 2

Murkas

chaosblade said:
Any print shop worth using will be able to do everything for you without you explaining anything. All you might have to do is make sure all the covers are 300dpi before you go, if not let the guy know that needs to be changed (72dpi will print a huge poster, lol).

They'll probably even offer to trim them for you (might charge a small fee for that, depends on where you go).

What about the paper type? I'm guessing not any old paper will do.

Thanks for the response, will look to see where the nearest print shops are.

PerZona

I just found this thread awhile ago and WOW i love all of the designs here! You guys are so awesome, can't wait to see more cover designs!

Canova

Banned
Murkas said:
What about the paper type? I'm guessing not any old paper will do.

Thanks for the response, will look to see where the nearest print shops are.

Just bring one sample of ps3 cover and tell them that you want that type of paper. They know what to do

Canova

Banned
Takao said:
El Shaddai: Ascension to the Metatron

thanks, but I prefer not to have Fabio's close-up in the cover, it makes it look like one of those romance novels

I prefer if we could use the Picasso-like in-game setting. In the official site, there are many downloadable wallpapers, can we not use those?

RedSwirl

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The AC one is fantastic. You gotta do ones for AC2, ACB, and ACR that fit with that one, awesome stuff.
...If I can find art for the other AC games that's equally badass and subtle, but I haven't yet. I'll keep looking.

I tried reversing for Penguin Nerd -- looks a little odd to me since the MK logo dragon ends up backwards, but it's a plus for Scorpion lovers. :D

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=k7iy2r4dxw3djjg&thumb=6

Either way, I'm still not totally sold on the spine -- if anyone was going to use it, I'd be open to making any of the style changes I was talking about before.
MediaFire is being a douche with my upload though, so if someone wants this in high res, PM me.

UnluckyKate said:
Shamless bragging list for awesome alternative covers:

Yakuza 3 (there's one page 3 or 4 but it's just the front)
Genji days of blade
TDU2
Dynasty Warriors Gundam
Tekken 6
Star Wars TFU 2
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2
Devil May Cry 4
Kane & Lynch 2

Are the rest of these posted? I'd like to see the DMC4 and T6 covers for potential use someday.

What's TDU2?

corrosivefrost said:
I tried reversing for Penguin Nerd -- looks a little odd to me since the MK logo dragon ends up backwards, but it's a plus for Scorpion lovers. :D
I feel really dumb for not thinking about the MK logo being backwards xD Oh well I'm a scorpion fan myself so :p Looks great still!

Those El Shaddai covers are fantastic!

-PXG-

I need something to do. I guess I'll do a Gears 3 cover. Does anyone have the template for this 360 layout?

alicemadness360_3dcovecj5l.png

I like all white/gray logo with the green X cut out.

RedSwirl

-PXG- said:
I need something to do. I guess I'll do a Gears 3 cover. Does anyone have the template for this 360 layout?

alicemadness360_3dcovecj5l.png

The 360 template is a few pages back. I've been trying to find material for a Gears 3 cover as well but haven't been successful so far.

By the way, does anybody know where people got the Yakuza 3 high res logos from?

RussellXV

Anyone using Photoshop to print? I just printed a cover and it looks washed out. Do I have to change something in the PS settings? I set the printer to HQ. I have a Canon MX 410 printer. I'm using HP Glossy Brochue Paper. The paper was set to Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
-PXG- said:
-
Looks like it was this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7q1p8tbtl4tthai

Also, reposting my request:
It's not a PS3 game, but I'm looking for the standard Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance GCN cover. Either a ready to print one or a high quality scan, either works.

Anyone using Photoshop to print? I just printed a cover and it looks washed out. Do I have to change something in the PS settings? I set the printer to HQ. I have a Canon MX 410 printer. I'm using HP Glossy Brochue Paper. The paper was set to Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.
First thought was the paper since copy paper will look really washed out, but you're set there.

Could be the printer/paper combination. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I've seen a lot of people say that mixing brands produces poor results.

Or it could be settings. In the print setup window there are options for Photoshop to manage the colors, or to let the printer do it. My covers are a lot more vivid letting Photoshop do it. Lots of options, not sure which is best.

Shurs said:
If I could voice some constructive criticism: I think people are going a bit overboard with the images that cover half the front and half the back cover. While it looks nice when the case is wide open, it's not such a hot look when the case is closed.
I've thought this as well looking at a few of them.

Shurs

If I could voice some constructive criticism: I think people are going a bit overboard with the images that cover half the front and half the back cover. While it looks nice when the case is wide open, it's not such a hot look when the case is closed.

RedSwirl

Shurs said:

Yeah it's good to at least try to keep most of the focus on the front side - make it so the image you see on the front can stand on its own.

I've actually run out of pictures I can sprawl across the front and back though. My next batch is mostly going to be separate pictures for front and back.

Canova

Banned
Mithos said:
Thanks to Rengoku for help finding/supplying logos =)
Edit: oh, yeah someone said they wanted an Hysteria cover, so here it is, hope you like it.

NTeHO.png

oohh thanks.

if any of the cover-makers is ever bored, how bout Splatterhouse? kthnx ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom