• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Yo Gotti
Banned
(09-20-2011, 11:25 PM)
Damn, live streams are up?

Time to black out on every DkS discussion board except this one.
kyubajin
(09-20-2011, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by INDIGO_CYCLOPS

Which one? I helped build up the Wikidot one and am still a moderator at it; I think I'll be brought in as a Moderator to the wiki for their new one, but haven't talked to the head guy in a while about it.

Right now Wikispaces has more info and will have the most info because it will be directly translated from the JPN Livedoor wiki, and since the game is coming out in a few days. Well that explains it. Wikidot is working with Namco so they are bound by some agreement and can't get it up and running until release I assume.

Oh, amazing! The original DS wiki is one of my favourite communities ever! I would love to contribute to the DkS with my own experience and the info from the hardcover guide, I could also help translate from the Japanese site if yoy guys need any more help.
Zeth
(09-20-2011, 11:29 PM)
Watched the first hour of gameplay. Wow.

This is why gaming is my hobby. This is what I live for. The sense of isolation and fear as you tread through dangerous areas and the accomplishment that comes with repeated trial and error. I love you, From. Thank you for making this game.

I would've settled with Demons Souls with more content but they gave us a brand new game, I love it!

edit: The new quick select for putting stuff on your d-pad is AWESOME.
Last edited by Zeth; 09-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.
The_Monk
(09-20-2011, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Orayn

The American version of that guide is currently called a "mini-guide," so I'm guessing it draws from the same source but doesn't have as much content.
In Europe, it's just a "guide," so it's anyone's guess.

Yeah I was checking this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-O...6557092&sr=8-1

It contains some good description but I'm not sure yet...
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-20-2011, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by kyubajin

Oh, amazing! The original DS wiki is one of my favourite communities ever! I would love to contribute to the DkS with my own experience and the info from the hardcover guide, I could also help translate from the Japanese site if yoy guys need any more help.

Thank you; you should contact the Wikispaces team, they are definitely looking for more contributors that can help translate. Not sure how Wikidot will be, I think they are working behind the scenes, aka, will have most of the basic stuff up by NA release.
kyubajin
(09-20-2011, 11:40 PM)
Double post, sorry.
Last edited by kyubajin; 09-20-2011 at 11:51 PM.
ironcreed
(09-20-2011, 11:48 PM)
Damn, the music on the character creation screen is pure King's Field. Anyone else get waves of nostalgia and flashbacks of The Ancient City from listening to that? For those who have not seen, but want to hear what I am talking about, just watch and listen.

http://pt.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295530165
I'm an expert
Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
(09-20-2011, 11:58 PM)
Man..that typhoon..shit...maybe the hysteria can allow me to trick the store into selling me Dark Souls today!
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ironcreed

Damn, the music on the character creation screen is pure King's Field. Anyone else get waves of nostalgia and flashbacks of The Ancient City from listening to that? For those who have not seen, but want to hear what I am talking about, just watch and listen.

I thought the same thing too, incredible.
kyubajin
(09-21-2011, 12:11 AM)

I definitely would love to play King's Field 4 someday, the videos and music I've seen/listened to makes me go wow.
ironcreed
(09-21-2011, 12:18 AM)

I thought the same thing too, incredible.

Yep, some of the environments gave me that vibe as well. Such as the forest and cave areas that was on one of the Niconico streams. I am thinking that this is going to be much more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field than even Demon's Souls was.
kyubajin
(09-21-2011, 12:19 AM)
Double post again, damned iPad.
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(09-21-2011, 12:24 AM)
shouldn't the title be "so that the industry might be mended"?
Zeal
Banned
(09-21-2011, 12:25 AM)

Yep, some of the environments gave me that vibe as well. Such as the forest and cave areas that was on one of the Niconico streams. I am thinking that this is going to be much more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field than even Demon's Souls was.

I thought the same thing. This game is obviously a big thank you to the fans for supporting these types of niche games for so long. It is like they took Demon's Souls, King's Field, and everything nostalgic, threw it in a blender, and cooked up the most amazing meal of pure awesomeness ever made. It's the perfect storm.

This is one of those games that only come every decade or so. I can just tell it will be something unforgettable for years to come.
Dreweyes
(09-21-2011, 12:26 AM)
So I had another idea for a Dark Souls cover art, so I had to take a quick stab at it!
What do you guys think?

Click to download if you would like to use!
[/QUOTE]
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 12:26 AM)

Originally Posted by FrenchMovieTheme

shouldn't the title be "so that the industry might be mended"?

:lol, second one that wondered about that for some reason. It was suggested as it is now, and follows the exact quote from DeSo (Demon's Souls).
Last edited by INDIGO_CYCLOPS; 09-21-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Zeal
Banned
(09-21-2011, 12:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreweyes

So I had another idea for a Dark Souls cover art, so I had to take a quick stab at it!
What do you guys think?

Click to download if you would like to use!

hahahahaha
ironcreed
(09-21-2011, 12:28 AM)

I definitely would love to play King's Field 4 someday, the videos and music I've seen/listened to makes me go wow.

It can be found pretty cheap these days. The only thing you may not like is that the camera is on the shoulder buttons, but it becomes second nature all too quickly. The atmosphere is just unreal and I am getting some of the same feelings from what I am seeing of this game. Mainly from just the mood and tone that is set by some of the environments and music. It just seems to have more of that certain vibe of despair than even Demon's Souls did.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 12:31 AM)

It can be found pretty cheap these days. The only thing you may not like is that the camera is on the shoulder buttons, but it becomes second nature all too quickly. The atmosphere is just unreal and I am getting some of the same feelings from what I am seeing of this game. Mainly from just the mood and tone that is set by some of the environments and music. It just seems to have more of that certain vibe of despair than even Demon's Souls did.

I'll second that. I've got a copy of the game that I've been trying to play for months now. Someday I will get to it. Atmosphere/music are just so top notch, but the mechanics seem to take some time to get used to. Definitely worth a play, from what I have played; its FROM... enough said.

Looks slick Dreweyes, awesome! Added it to the thread.
ironcreed
(09-21-2011, 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeal

I thought the same thing. This game is obviously a big thank you to the fans for supporting these types of niche games for so long. It is like they took Demon's Souls, King's Field, and everything nostalgic, threw it in a blender, and cooked up the most amazing meal of pure awesomeness ever made. It's the perfect storm.

This is one of those games that only come every decade or so. I can just tell it will be something unforgettable for years to come.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post. The King's Field series and Demon's Souls are unforgettable enough, but this seems to be a culmination and evolution of all of that. In which case, we are in for one hell of a rare treat.
kyubajin
(09-21-2011, 12:37 AM)

Your description only made me want it more! My only concern is with the story, shouldn't I play the Japanese PS ones first? Is there anything to spoil or it doesn't really matter? Maybe I could just read a summary of the story so far or something.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 12:42 AM)

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post. The King's Field series and Demon's Souls are unforgettable enough, but this seems to be a culmination and evolution of all of that. In which case, we are in for one hell of a rare treat.

I'll say if we never see a King's Field game again (which I want badly), and Dark Souls is really the culmination of ideas, concepts, a magnum opus of sorts, then I'm a-okay with that. Without a doubt it my mind.

Your description only made me want it more! My only concern is with the story, shouldn't I play the Japanese PS ones first? Is there anything to spoil or it doesn't really matter? Maybe I could just read a summary of the story so far or something.

There's a lot of information out there. Are you sensitive to the quality of older games? May be tough to get into at this point, but KF4 still holds up relatively well, not to mention the other elements which coalesce so nicely.
ironcreed
(09-21-2011, 12:52 AM)

It is a different story than the others, so it would not really ruin anything from the first 3. They really applied that darker, melancholic tone with The Ancient City and it is by far the crown of the series, in my opinion. Also, you can see where some of the ideas for Demon's Souls came from by playing this. Mind you, it is of course in first person and is more open, but you can see it plain as day in the tone of the game.
Ghost_Protocol
(09-21-2011, 12:52 AM)
Wait, so can you close the helmet or not?
kyubajin
(09-21-2011, 12:58 AM)

There's a lot of information out there. Are you sensitive to the quality of older games? May be tough to get into at this point, but KF4 still holds up relatively well, not to mention the other elements which coalesce so nicely.

If you mean the obvious dated graphics, mechanics and the like, it's ok with me as I'm a retro gamer at heart. I searched for King's Field info and only found the wikipedia article and a couple sites here and there, the wikia site is rather lacking in content too.
GhostWriter24
(09-21-2011, 01:01 AM)
I'm thinking I should get insurance on all my shit since I know I'm going to be throwing things around in frustration like mad...

Help me, GAF D=
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 01:03 AM)

If you mean the obvious dated graphics, mechanics and the like, it's ok with me as I'm a retro gamer at heart. I searched for King's Field info and only found the wikipedia article and a couple sites here and there, the wikia site is rather lacking in content too.

Yea that's all I meant, many people may be turned off by that. If you're into that, then go for it. But as ironcreed pointed out, Ancient City is much more representative of the direction they'd go in, leading to DeSo, and now Dark Souls. It's really amazing to sit back and think about; some sort of evolution of ideas - you really start to see that the Souls games are more than just spiritual successors in a sense.
NeoSoma
(09-21-2011, 01:17 AM)

youdied.jpg

oh man

those two red words are gonna be very familiar with me i just know it D:
GraveRobberX
(09-21-2011, 01:21 AM)
What's the Over/Under on Dark Souls having abuseable Soul Level 712 techniques LOL
Chiave
(09-21-2011, 01:38 AM)
Watching the stream that was up earlier. Wow, so there's another optional boss in the beginning of the game, and you can fight it as many times as you want!? That SOB that was playing got creamed!
Oichi
I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
(09-21-2011, 01:38 AM)
Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/4933477.html

Entry in the book of the guilty lol

FromSoftware rocks lol
Canova
Banned
(09-21-2011, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Oichi

Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

FromSoftware rocks lol

Hahahaha....that's mean and awesome at the same time
NeoSoma
(09-21-2011, 01:48 AM)

[IMG]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/0/109fa6b3.jpg[IMG]

FromSoftware rocks lol

Ahahaha what

That is so awesome

Remind me to never piss off FromSoftware for their sequel
web01
(09-21-2011, 01:56 AM)
Watching the stream the voice acting is awesome.
C-Drive
(09-21-2011, 01:57 AM)

What do you guys think?

I preordered Dark Souls today via Amazon for Release Date delivery. I never dived into the original, but watching that stream (of atmosphere) made me jump for the new one.

Your covers have been awesome, and I'd love a hd wallpaper of that "You Died" side of the cover if it's not much trouble.
Nix
Banned
(09-21-2011, 02:09 AM)
Guy playing the stream needs to start doing some melee training =/. Dammnit GAF you made me watch the stream!!!!!!!!
astroturfing
(09-21-2011, 02:15 AM)

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/0/109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

what the hell :D that is too fucking awesome.

i hope they keep doing that even after release, just to mess with us lol. just do it once a day to someone, so we'll always have the fear of "maybe i'm next". have them look different so the player will know that an almost impossible to defeat, one in a million type of enemy has invaded. i'd freak out so bad if it happened to me. in a really good way.
Ostinatto
(09-21-2011, 02:18 AM)
OMG

the OST is amazing

cant wait.
Zeth
(09-21-2011, 02:22 AM)
Any streams still live? Or where's the page with the most videos from previous streams?
Wallach
(09-21-2011, 02:23 AM)

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/0/109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

This is fuckin' genius. I love it.
Vasilisk
(09-21-2011, 02:24 AM)

FromSoftware rocks lol

LOL. But the truth is that it is a fitting way to deal with this people.."you want to play online before the time we set.. don't worry, we'll find you and we'll kill you". Itīs almost scary :D
Zeal
Banned
(09-21-2011, 02:26 AM)

FromSoftware rocks lol

ok, i think From Software now gets the coolest/most hilarious developer award in history for this. that's hysterical.
Giriath_89
(09-21-2011, 02:28 AM)
I missed the stream. :(
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(09-21-2011, 02:57 AM)

FromSoftware rocks lol

Holy shit they fucking win. That's it, no contest.

Makes me jump for joy
TheExecutive
(09-21-2011, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by astroturfing

what the hell :D that is too fucking awesome.

i hope they keep doing that even after release, just to mess with us lol. just do it once a day to someone, so we'll always have the fear of "maybe i'm next". have them look different so the player will know that an almost impossible to defeat, one in a million type of enemy has invaded. i'd freak out so bad if it happened to me. in a really good way.

And it would be sweet they provide awesome drops. I love From.
I'm an expert
Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
(09-21-2011, 03:02 AM)
Well then..I'll just wait like a good boy until tomorrow..ahem..
teh_J0kerer
(09-21-2011, 03:12 AM)
Indigo, you ever get a final confirmation about the servers? I can't believe the game comes out tomorrow here, and I still don't know if I'm buying it :/.
web01
(09-21-2011, 03:15 AM)
Looks like upgrading armour is confirmed.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/a...ponupgrade.jpg
Zeliard
another, slower tempo, made half of dreams
(09-21-2011, 03:20 AM)
Haha this thread blew the fuck up. Any new juicy info or something, or people just getting hyped since it's nearing release?
The_Monk
(09-21-2011, 03:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeliard

Haha this thread blew the fuck up. Any new juicy info or something, or people just getting hyped since it's nearing release?

We watched a live stream. We went crazy.

Hype!