• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
kyubajin said:
Oh, amazing! The original DS wiki is one of my favourite communities ever! I would love to contribute to the DkS with my own experience and the info from the hardcover guide, I could also help translate from the Japanese site if yoy guys need any more help.

Thank you; you should contact the Wikispaces team, they are definitely looking for more contributors that can help translate. Not sure how Wikidot will be, I think they are working behind the scenes, aka, will have most of the basic stuff up by NA release.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..that typhoon..shit...maybe the hysteria can allow me to trick the store into selling me Dark Souls today!

kyubajin

ironcreed said:
Damn, the music on the character creation screen is pure King's Field. Anyone else get waves of nostalgia and flashbacks of The Ancient City from listening to that? For those who have not seen, but want to hear what I am talking about, just watch and listen.

http://pt.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295530165
I definitely would love to play King's Field 4 someday, the videos and music I've seen/listened to makes me go wow.

ironcreed

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I thought the same thing too, incredible.

Yep, some of the environments gave me that vibe as well. Such as the forest and cave areas that was on one of the Niconico streams. I am thinking that this is going to be much more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field than even Demon's Souls was.

Zeal

Banned
ironcreed said:
Yep, some of the environments gave me that vibe as well. Such as the forest and cave areas that was on one of the Niconico streams. I am thinking that this is going to be much more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field than even Demon's Souls was.

I thought the same thing. This game is obviously a big thank you to the fans for supporting these types of niche games for so long. It is like they took Demon's Souls, King's Field, and everything nostalgic, threw it in a blender, and cooked up the most amazing meal of pure awesomeness ever made. It's the perfect storm.

This is one of those games that only come every decade or so. I can just tell it will be something unforgettable for years to come.

Dreweyes

So I had another idea for a Dark Souls cover art, so I had to take a quick stab at it!
What do you guys think?

Click to download if you would like to use!
[/QUOTE]

FrenchMovieTheme said:
shouldn't the title be "so that the industry might be mended"?

:lol, second one that wondered about that for some reason. It was suggested as it is now, and follows the exact quote from DeSo (Demon's Souls).

ironcreed

Banned
kyubajin said:
I definitely would love to play King's Field 4 someday, the videos and music I've seen/listened to makes me go wow.

It can be found pretty cheap these days. The only thing you may not like is that the camera is on the shoulder buttons, but it becomes second nature all too quickly. The atmosphere is just unreal and I am getting some of the same feelings from what I am seeing of this game. Mainly from just the mood and tone that is set by some of the environments and music. It just seems to have more of that certain vibe of despair than even Demon's Souls did.

ironcreed said:
It can be found pretty cheap these days. The only thing you may not like is that the camera is on the shoulder buttons, but it becomes second nature all too quickly. The atmosphere is just unreal and I am getting some of the same feelings from what I am seeing of this game. Mainly from just the mood and tone that is set by some of the environments and music. It just seems to have more of that certain vibe of despair than even Demon's Souls did.

I'll second that. I've got a copy of the game that I've been trying to play for months now. Someday I will get to it. Atmosphere/music are just so top notch, but the mechanics seem to take some time to get used to. Definitely worth a play, from what I have played; its FROM... enough said.

Looks slick Dreweyes, awesome! Added it to the thread.

ironcreed

Banned
Zeal said:
I thought the same thing. This game is obviously a big thank you to the fans for supporting these types of niche games for so long. It is like they took Demon's Souls, King's Field, and everything nostalgic, threw it in a blender, and cooked up the most amazing meal of pure awesomeness ever made. It's the perfect storm.

This is one of those games that only come every decade or so. I can just tell it will be something unforgettable for years to come.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post. The King's Field series and Demon's Souls are unforgettable enough, but this seems to be a culmination and evolution of all of that. In which case, we are in for one hell of a rare treat.

kyubajin

ironcreed said:
Your description only made me want it more! My only concern is with the story, shouldn't I play the Japanese PS ones first? Is there anything to spoil or it doesn't really matter? Maybe I could just read a summary of the story so far or something.

ironcreed said:
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post. The King's Field series and Demon's Souls are unforgettable enough, but this seems to be a culmination and evolution of all of that. In which case, we are in for one hell of a rare treat.

I'll say if we never see a King's Field game again (which I want badly), and Dark Souls is really the culmination of ideas, concepts, a magnum opus of sorts, then I'm a-okay with that. Without a doubt it my mind.

kyubajin said:
Your description only made me want it more! My only concern is with the story, shouldn't I play the Japanese PS ones first? Is there anything to spoil or it doesn't really matter? Maybe I could just read a summary of the story so far or something.

There's a lot of information out there. Are you sensitive to the quality of older games? May be tough to get into at this point, but KF4 still holds up relatively well, not to mention the other elements which coalesce so nicely.

ironcreed

Banned
kyubajin said:

It is a different story than the others, so it would not really ruin anything from the first 3. They really applied that darker, melancholic tone with The Ancient City and it is by far the crown of the series, in my opinion. Also, you can see where some of the ideas for Demon's Souls came from by playing this. Mind you, it is of course in first person and is more open, but you can see it plain as day in the tone of the game.

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
There's a lot of information out there. Are you sensitive to the quality of older games? May be tough to get into at this point, but KF4 still holds up relatively well, not to mention the other elements which coalesce so nicely.
If you mean the obvious dated graphics, mechanics and the like, it's ok with me as I'm a retro gamer at heart. I searched for King's Field info and only found the wikipedia article and a couple sites here and there, the wikia site is rather lacking in content too.

kyubajin said:
If you mean the obvious dated graphics, mechanics and the like, it's ok with me as I'm a retro gamer at heart. I searched for King's Field info and only found the wikipedia article and a couple sites here and there, the wikia site is rather lacking in content too.

Yea that's all I meant, many people may be turned off by that. If you're into that, then go for it. But as ironcreed pointed out, Ancient City is much more representative of the direction they'd go in, leading to DeSo, and now Dark Souls. It's really amazing to sit back and think about; some sort of evolution of ideas - you really start to see that the Souls games are more than just spiritual successors in a sense.

Chiave

Watching the stream that was up earlier.
Wow, so there's another optional boss in the beginning of the game, and you can fight it as many times as you want!?
That SOB that was playing got creamed!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/4933477.html

109fa6b3.jpg

Entry in the book of the guilty lol

FromSoftware rocks lol

Soma

Oichi said:
Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/0/109fa6b3.jpg[IMG]

FromSoftware rocks lol[/QUOTE]
Ahahaha what

That is so awesome

Remind me to never piss off FromSoftware for their sequel

C-Drive

Dreweyes said:
So I had another idea for a Dark Souls cover art, so I had to take a quick stab at it!
What do you guys think?

I preordered Dark Souls today via Amazon for Release Date delivery. I never dived into the original, but watching that stream (of atmosphere) made me jump for the new one.

Your covers have been awesome, and I'd love a hd wallpaper of that "You Died" side of the cover if it's not much trouble.

Nix

Banned
Guy playing the stream needs to start doing some melee training =/. Dammnit GAF you made me watch the stream!!!!!!!!

Oichi said:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/0/109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

what the hell :D that is too fucking awesome.

i hope they keep doing that even after release, just to mess with us lol. just do it once a day to someone, so we'll always have the fear of "maybe i'm next". have them look different so the player will know that an almost impossible to defeat, one in a million type of enemy has invaded. i'd freak out so bad if it happened to me. in a really good way.

Oichi said:

109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

LOL. But the truth is that it is a fitting way to deal with this people.."you want to play online before the time we set.. don't worry, we'll find you and we'll kill you". It´s almost scary :D

astroturfing said:
what the hell :D that is too fucking awesome.

i hope they keep doing that even after release, just to mess with us lol. just do it once a day to someone, so we'll always have the fear of "maybe i'm next". have them look different so the player will know that an almost impossible to defeat, one in a million type of enemy has invaded. i'd freak out so bad if it happened to me. in a really good way.
And it would be sweet they provide awesome drops. I love From.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well then..I'll just wait like a good boy until tomorrow..ahem..

Indigo, you ever get a final confirmation about the servers? I can't believe the game comes out tomorrow here, and I still don't know if I'm buying it :/.

Zeliard

Haha this thread blew the fuck up. Any new juicy info or something, or people just getting hyped since it's nearing release?

DeVeAn

Love the name of the topic fuck yea! So, rumor is that party chat is disabled on 360 for this? Any info on the co op in this game? If it's the same as Demons souls then ps3 for me. Otherwise I want 360 so I can play with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom