• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cmagus
(11-10-2011, 07:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Blimblim

By the time I finished posting the G2Play example (because I had to go and find it, because I like to have facts and not just be vague), the thread was locked, and I just went to bed before Evilore created this new one.
This new policy is what it is, but I have nothing to do with it. My comment might have been the point where it was decided that it was the tiping point for the old topic, but I never asked for anything.

Thanks for posting G**lay was one of the ones being recommended alot around here it's where I bought from and now it concerns me about my copy of Alice Madness Returns. It also concerns me now I have used my CC with them.
Mr. Luchador
I played NeoGAF Bingo and all I got was this tag
(11-10-2011, 07:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Cmagus

Thanks for posting G**lay was one of the ones being recommended alot around here it's where I bought from and now it concerns me about my copy of Alice Madness Returns. It also concerns me now I have used my CC with them.

Hmm. I've also used this site. Just the once, but I think I used paypal. Can't say anything happened after the sale other than I received the key I was after and activated it without any problems (though it wasn't a steam game).
Cmagus
(11-10-2011, 07:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Chriswok

Hmm. I've also used this site. Just the once, but I think I used paypal. Can't say anything happened after the sale other than I received the key I was after and activated it without any problems (though it wasn't a steam game).

Yeah I guess best bet is just not to use any of these guys at this point.
eosos
(11-10-2011, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by I H8 Memes

Steam does not set the prices on games that are not made by Valve, publishers do. Publishers want people in other territories to pay a certain amount and people are circumventing that using the Steam gifting system.

If this were for content, like buying an uncensored version of a game in Germany, then I would be less bothered by it. But Steam gifting is mostly used so people dont have to pay what publishers want people to pay for their games. This isnt fair to the publishers, and it is really unfair for brick & mortar stores in those regions.

I meant publishers then. Also, I'm a consumer. I don't give a shit what happens to the producers, I just want my product cheap.
NeoandGeo
Banned
(11-10-2011, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Cmagus

Yeah I guess best bet is just not to use any of these guys at this point.

There hasn't been any incident that would warrant anyone to not use any of them other than refunds being given from firstly unknown but then known stolen keys. Their most shady moments are showing people how to use a VPN to activate region locked games. The risks and benefits should be actively discussed here to keep people safe.
Rufus
(11-10-2011, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Wanchan

Is G2play at fault for buying those keys without checking if they were stolen before? maybe.

Uh, yes. There's no maybe about it. Unless their source also sells legit keys alongside the stolen ones, there's no way they could claim ignorance here. They must have at least suspected their source as dubious.

But i wouldn't call that a shady store, no harms done at the end

At what end? The keys were stolen from Cyanide's store. They didn't give them their cut of the proceeds for those. It's the digital equivalent of stealing from a warehouse. And don't even try comparing this to the lost sales argument publishers like to use in regards to piracy, since Cyanide know that those keys were bought, just not from them.

just saying that using the "Cyanide adventure" as a proof to ban those websites is really dumb.

It damns at least G2Play, wouldn't you say? Intkeys and other sites that send pictures of cases and discs as proof are about as legit as you can get though and I'd prefer a 'use at your own risk' policy for those at least, but that's out of our hands.
Last edited by Rufus; 11-10-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Burekma
(11-10-2011, 08:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Durante

That's a horrible, defeatist attitude. I for one will continue to do my utmost to circumvent regional pricing, in "first-world" regions. But IMHO the best way to do that is private Steam gifting.

I don't think they consider steam gifting as circumventing region restrictions, primarily because the prices are much higher than at keysellers and they get more than enough money if someone gifts it to you for $50 or 30.

Another thing to note is that a lot of the region pricing in western countries has to do with keeping the retailers happy, so they give much less of a shit if you just want to pay the normal US price.
Dexa
Banned
(11-10-2011, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

It's a lot more complicated than that. If some of these cd key sites are selling stolen keys, Gaffers could end up with disabled keys down the road. Also, Evilore is concerned with these sites being presented as "cheaper alternatives" without any of the pitfalls or issues being made clear to the potential consumer.

so what? bad luck - you saved lots of money on the way.
drkOne
(11-10-2011, 09:24 PM)

Originally Posted by cyberheater

[IMG]http://i41.************/35bw38m.png[/IMG]

LOL. This is what happens when you use cheap cd keys.

It was clearly stated that Skyrim RU was only playable on some territories in the Steam something database file. Proves the point that these guys will lie to get your money.
Stitch
(11-10-2011, 10:12 PM)
yeah right, that's why intkeys is giving everyone their money back...
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(11-10-2011, 10:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Dexa

So what? Wow, you're a piece of shit.
Shouta
(ノ`Д)ノ彡┻━┻
(11-10-2011, 11:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Dexa

Goddamn, son. Are you really that moronic?

Anyway the issue is really shady business practices with these CD-key resellers. We don't know how they're getting them or if you're guaranteed a product and not getting your money stolen. Understand that it isn't an issue of being against importing or buying from other regions but the legitimacy of doing it through these sellers. Lore pointed out on the first page that reputable sites selling you cd-keys is still fine so for folks, particularly in Australia, that want to and need to buy from other regions can still do so.
papersleeves
(11-10-2011, 11:39 PM)
Never felt like it was the right thing to do anyway. I always thought there was something very shady about buying a $22 cd-key for a $50-$60 game. Plus, how can I be sure they won't sell the same cd-key multiple times ? Some testimonies won't convince me that easily.

In the end, doesn't look that legit.
chaostrophy
(11-11-2011, 12:04 AM)
To me banning this stuff looks like a good idea. It seemed sketchy to me from when I first heard of the practice, and I'm glad EviLore is trying to make NeoGAF a trustworthy community rather than another 'buyer beware' Internet site.

To the people complaining...maybe take a step back and look around. I know that hype, especially traveling as fast as it does on the Internet, makes it seem like all the serious gamers are constantly playing brand new full price releases and if you can't afford them you're locked out of the hobby. But that's not at all true. There's tons of gaming options out there that are cheaper, from classic PC games on digital distribution, to older current-gen console games which can be great deals given how far we are into this gen, to indie games and the crazy bundles of them, to PS1/GC/VC games...no shortage of options.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(11-11-2011, 12:39 AM)
To be honest I was shocked this stuff was allowed in the first place. It's on par with Roms and things of that sort. Except you are paying money for stuff instead of it being free. It's like buying bootleg dvds and shit off ebay.
butter_stick
Banned
(11-11-2011, 12:48 AM)

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

To be honest I was shocked this stuff was allowed in the first place. It's on par with Roms and things of that sort. Except you are paying money for stuff instead of it being free. It's like buying bootleg dvds and shit off ebay.

It's more like buying a CD on eBay, and not knowing it had actually been stolen by the seller.

Which happened to me once. Police asked me questions over the phone and everything!
Takuan
About to pop the question. Congratulate this poster on his impending engagement!
(11-11-2011, 01:11 AM)
I'm glad I used PayPal instead of credit card for BF3. As far as I can tell it still works, so yay.
Kerrby
Banned
(11-11-2011, 01:32 AM)
Okay what's this about G2Play? Could you post it here please because Evilore locked the other thread?
morningbus
(11-11-2011, 02:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Kerrby

Okay what's this about G2Play? Could you post it here please because Evilore locked the other thread?

They were selling stolen cdkeys. They probably weren't the ones who did the actual hacking to obtain the keys, but they did purchase them from someone who did and then sold them to their customers.
Kerrby
Banned
(11-11-2011, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by morningbus

They were selling stolen cdkeys. They probably weren't the ones who did the actual hacking to obtain the keys, but they did purchase them from someone who did and then sold them to their customers.

That's pretty dodgy. I've got a game gifted from them before, Football Manager 11.

Still shame on you blip :P