• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware bans SW:TOR player over internet meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
should have banned him for using a dumb meme
That's not against their TOS though. This is another entry in the growing list of Bioware banning people for things that are not against the agreed upon terms of service.

hamchan

That's not against their TOS though. This is another entry in the growing list of Bioware banning people for things that are not against the agreed upon terms of service.

Being under 13 is against the TOS though. The lesson here is to not joke about your age. I actually got banned off gamefaqs once for doing the exact same, stupid thing.

Moaradin

Most bannings that came from 4chan were fake as hell. This one seems legit though. Apparently this dude was suspended for speedhacking earlier.

Seriously though if this guy cares at all, he'll just call customer service and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

linko9

That's ridiculous, and horrible customer service. If they seriously suspected he was under 13, they should have been required to confirm the fact, or at least they should have done so out of courtesy. Being a dick to your customers is not a good business strategy.

GavinGT

Banned
Welp, that does it. SWTOR is now mathematically incapable of turning a profit.

And how have these people not learned their lesson yet? You don't post on EA forums under any circumstances.

Stuart444

Being under 13 is against the TOS though. The lesson here is to not joke about your age. I actually got banned off gamefaqs once for doing the exact same, stupid thing.

Funnily enough, Gfaqs updated their ToS and now allow memes like this one. (well they won't ban you for it thinking you're under 12 anyway)

FStop7

Banned
no different than gaf handing out bans for certain memes.

It's a lot different. First, GAF isn't a pay service. Second, it takes doing something pretty egregious to earn a permaban on GAF. This guy's SWTOR account went from zero to permaban over one sentence. No warning, no investigation, no temp ban. Just gone.

Reminds me that I need to kill my SWTOR sub.

Haunted

Bioware is the new Sony. Not a week going by without some bad press.

Was hoping for some hilarious meme, but it's a lame one I never heard about? :/

Reminds me that I need to kill my SWTOR sub.
If you can find the unsubscribe button!

Make joke to be 12, get banned for being under age. How is that not irony?

That's a misunderstanding with unintended consequences, not irony. It'd be irony if he was actually very old, or if his statement was in a post all about wanting to play TOR and not get banned.

gVp6J.gif

Bioware can't catch a break. Like many people have said this ins't there fault. You can't have children under 13 on the forums. They had to cover their bases.

Regardless, I am amused.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
did you not read the OP? It's in the TOS you have to be 13
Being under 13 is against the terms of service, not claiming to be under that age. Without any investigation into the matter this guy got banned.

Look at this from a different angle. What if one player was called out by another for ganking them, and the player who won made a joke that he speed hacked to win. A mod reads that post and bans the account for saying they speed hacked. Saying you speed hack isn't against the TOS, but speed hacking is.

Just a big misunderstanding. Of course some are trying to turn this into a scandal.
Because this guy is paying for a service that he was barred from using for reasons that don't violate the TOS he agreed to.

Count me in as never hearing this meme. Only one closest to that I've heard would be "What are you? 12?" Walking on eggshells on those Bioware forums, it seems. Not sure how I feel about this individual's ban, though. Justified if he actually is under 13, though I wouldn't say permanently.

Zeal

Banned
Idiotware

Too bad memes are for people without the ability to have their own sense of humor. I.e., "Maybe if I repeat the same played out internet joke a couple hundred times, I'll be accepted by my online 4chan pals. hur hur.

on other forums where this rule was enforced, you could get the ban reversed by sending in proof you weren't underage, or having your parents fill out a form or whatever.

It doesn't appear that they gave this person that option, to appeal with proof that he is not underage.

Idiotware

Too bad memes are for people without the ability to have their own sense of humor. I.e., "Maybe if I repeat the same played out internet joke a couple hundred times, I'll be accepted by my online 4chan pals. hur hur.

Implying no one outside of 4chan use these memes

VALIS

Now if only the rest of the internet would follow suit on banning people who spread godawful 4chan memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom