• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Too bad no one bought the game. It seems like a one-of-a-kind to me.

I have a bad stack up of games right now, with BtL in there. I need a long long holiday!

Tunavi

Banned
Nah, we need SNES games too. I've never played Super Metroid. I blame Nintendo.
I always wanted a sequel to Metroid Fusion, but then I found out that Fusion was basically a sequel to Super Metroid in terms of gameplay.

Never played it and I would KILL for a 3D classics: super metroid

IrishNinja

damn, now im thinking about midnightscott's case too, looks good.

I need GBA games. I'm sure that will be an E3 announcement.

god i hope you're right, really want fusion and minsh cap, others look alright too.

Nah, we need SNES games too. I've never played Super Metroid.

AaxaL.gif

GJS

I picked up Tales of the Abyss now that it has been reprinted and it's a great game, better than I expected and it looks pretty good on the 3DS screen too even with the aliasing it has.

GeekyDad

Well, Doctor Lautrec came and I'm sending him quickly on his way. It seems like a lot of what Konami has attempted in the recent past with new IP. It's a jumble of things that immediately put me off. The presentation is beautiful, almost overboard considering it's for a handheld game (they're never going to break even on this game). But the puzzles are just kinda meh, and I knew as soon as they started in with those half-baked battles, I was not going to be on board with the game. I walked around the villages a bit once the game let me loose, and it's really quite cool. But again, it's a jumble of ideas with what seems like little focus. And I don't really care for Lautrec. He's the type of personality we've seen in so many games. 'Tis all really a shame because there is some kind of spark there with the story. But moving on...

Silly question probably I know, but it holds 3DS games too in the little game pouches right? I'm seriously gonna get this, looks great!

It's not a silly question. It holds 27 games within the main case, and the 3DS case itself can hold 2 more carts on the outside.
Well, Doctor Lautrec came and I'm sending him quickly on his way. It seems like a lot of what Konami has attempted in the recent past with new IP. It's a jumble of things that immediately put me off. The presentation is beautiful, almost overboard considering it's for a handheld game (they're never going to break even on this game). But the puzzles are just kinda meh, and I knew as soon as they started in with those half-baked battles, I was not going to be on board with the game. I walked around the villages a bit once the game let me loose, and it's really quite cool. But again, it's a jumble of ideas with what seems like little focus. And I don't really care for Lautrec. He's the type of personality we've seen in so many games. 'Tis all really a shame because there is some kind of spark there with the story. But moving on...
Doctor Lautrec is seriously not for everyone. I am very patient but I do get annoyed at the dungeon crawling shit, having to avoid the cops. I do like the story, but it's the same thing with Layton, I just like the story, everything else is just bland lol. However I do actually like the battles kind of although I don't really understand the type advantages. I just got to Chapter 5, I wonder how much longer the game is?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up Tales of the Abyss now that it has been reprinted and it's a great game, better than I expected and it looks pretty good on the 3DS screen too even with the aliasing it has.

I was on the fence about it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it at launch, I don't want to regret it and then later find out it's difficult to find in stores.

Ketch

Anybody have impressions of the Shin Migami game that came out around launch? I'm looking for a good 3D RPG to play on this thing, preferably of the tactical turn based nature... already beat Shadow Wars and was disappointed by it's crappy leveling and lack of character customization.

Wish List:
FF Tactics War of the Lions 3D
Advance Wars 3D

Edit: Guess I could stop being an idiot and check the OP here and then head over to the Devil Survivor OT.

hitmon

I was looking at that as well to be honest. Right now, I have this and it's alright, but I carry around a USB charger now since I'm always near a computer -- so I can charge my 3DS while in class, something like that might be more suitable.

You can charge the 3DS via USB?! Can you point me in a direction as to what cable I need to buy?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was on the fence about it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it at launch, I don't want to regret it and then later find out it's difficult to find in stores.

I'm not as on the fence as I want the game, but I'm not sure I want to get it ASAP. I'm worried it's going to be hard to find when I do get around to my play through though so I guess I'll end up picking it up at launch.

PS: If we are doing mini wish lists...

Castlevania 2d
Metroid 2d
Some form of Online Phantasy Star

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You can charge the 3DS via USB?! Can you point me in a direction as to what cable I need to buy?

I bought mine from GameStop Canada, it's made by GameStop themselves. It charges the 3DS and DSi both and it was $9.99 CAD (I can't find a link of it online).

Though, I looked on deal extreme and I found one for $1.90 USD.

I ordered Hori screen protectors from DealExtreme for $1.40 USD -- the only problem with DealExtreme is it takes like a month to get to you, but it's so inexpensive.

hitmon

I bought mine from GameStop Canada, it's made by GameStop themselves. It charges the 3DS and DSi both and it was $9.99 CAD (I can't find a link of it online).

Though, I looked on deal extreme and I found one for $1.90 USD.

I ordered Hori screen protectors from DealExtreme for $1.40 USD -- the only problem with DealExtreme is it takes like a month to get to you, but it's so inexpensive.

Awesome, Thanks! Learn something new everyday.

MarkusRJR

Someone needs to update this thread with Resident Evil Revelations, Tetris Axis, VVVVVV, and Mutant Mudds. Why are there mediocre games like Cubic Ninja, Samurai Warriors, Sonic Generations 3DS (the 360/PS3 games are great, but the 3DS version isn't good at all) and a few random Japanese games there while good games available in NA aren't on the list? :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone needs to update this thread with Resident Evil Revelations, Tetris Axis, VVVVVV, and Mutant Mudds. Why are there mediocre games like Cubic Ninja, Samurai Warriors, Sonic Generations 3DS (the 360/PS3 games are great, but the 3DS version isn't good at all) and a few random Japanese games there while good games available in NA aren't on the list? :p

Heh, that someone is supposed to be the Original Poster :p

jonno394

Just playing through Fusion (ambassador on 3DS) and it just makes me want Super Metroid so much more, hell, Zero Mission would be better than this.

{in case you didn't realise, I don't rate Fusion that highly)

Thought I'd share some thoughts on Beyond the Labyrinth while I'm waiting for my 3DS to charge.

I've said it before, but I think the game could be very divisive. One reason is the battle system - I think like much with Resonance of Fate, the unusual battle system could be a turn-off for a lot of players.

It's pretty complicated, though to its credit, the game does a great job of easing you into it. Basically, you have a team of four party members, and each member can be one of three alignments: rock (red), scissors (green) and paper (blue). If you hit the weak point of an enemy, the damage you do gets put into a reserve. The next player or enemy to attack who is of the same alignment as that HP gets healed by that amount. For example:
1. Red player attacks green enemy for 200 damage
2. 200 HP worth of green HP enters the reserve
3. Green player attacks any enemy
4. Green player gets healed by 200

This makes turn order very important. You can adjust the strength of your attack, and as you progress in the game, you can boost the range by which you can adjust your attack strength. The stronger your attack, the longer it is before your next turn rolls around. As a result, it's no good blasting an enemies' weak point if their turn is going to come up before you can grab the HP you've knocked off. For example:
1. Red player attacks green enemy for 200 damage
2. 200 green HP enters the reserve
3. Blue player attacks green enemy for whatever damage
4. Green enemy's turn comes up
5. Green enemy attacks and heals itself by 200 HP

Once you get the hang of it, working out strategies is very satisfying. This is just the foundation of the battle system, however. So far I've run into enemies who have special traits, for example one who changes alignment when you hit its weak point. (If you think about it, they're great for getting easy heals if you get them in isolation.)

In addition to your four aligned party members, you have the girl who you guide through the labyrinth. She has no alignment and her charge time is pretty slow, but her attacks are unique. Every time you attack and do damage, that damage is added to her magic gauge. On her turn, she attacks for that amount of damage. To make things more complicated, you can set your aligned characters to add to or multiply the value in her magic gauge when they attack. And there are enemies who can change whether your aligned characters add or multiply.

The other reason why it might be quite divisive is story-related. Big spoilers for the first hour of the game follow:
You start by playing an online RPG in the style of an 8-bit dungeon crawler. Three other players join your party as you wander the dungeon, chatting through the text chat function and fighting monsters, when you start hearing a girl crying out. Static fills the screen, and then the girl appears. The world has transformed from 8-bit throwback to lavish labyrinth, right down to the interface.
The girl can see you through what she calls "a window", and you can see her. However, sound is only one way, so she can't hear you, and she can't see the chat log either. You don't control the girl at all - she's entirely AI-controlled, and you move completely independently of her. She still talks to you, though, even though she can't reply, and your party continue to talk amongst themselves via the game's chat function. You don't really know much about your party at all, though you get to know their personalities through the way they talk. The first person to join is Pokira, who's thoughtful, polite and bit of a geek. The next person to join is Nerikeshi ("kneaded eraser") who is very blunt and straight forward. The fourth person to join is LiLy, who is nice and friendly.

Not much else to add for now except that the presentation is fantastic. The labyrinth is beautiful, and the design of the enemies really makes them feel like they're a part of that world. The soundtrack is by Motoi Sakuraba's, and thankfully it's not one of his boring soundtracks. Aside from the odd appearance by the unmistakable Sakuraba bell, it doesn't sound much like anything I've heard from him before, although Lilac Mist reminds me a little bit of Star Ocean 2 for some reason. Here's a few samples from Konami:
Lilac Mist
Cleave
Decayed edge
Premonition
It's definitely a headphones game, by the way.

Too bad no one bought the game. It seems like a one-of-a-kind to me.
Incidentally, I haven't got to the part where you can customise the girl's clothes yet, but I think the detail about customising the colour of her panties was falsely reported. You can see right on the cover of the game that she's wearing shorts under her dress, so you wouldn't even be able to see her underwear even if you tried. It's kind of a shame that there was such a big song and dance about it as well, because it makes it seem like a game for paedophiles when it's really not at all.

Hm, that combat system has me intrigued so thank you sir :). I already like the visual aesthetic of the game so will keep an open mind for this.

Portugeezer

Just playing through Fusion (ambassador on 3DS) and it just makes me want Super Metroid so much more, hell, Zero Mission would be better than this.

{in case you didn't realise, I don't rate Fusion that highly)

Zero Mission is better than Fusion.

For me it's Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Fusion.

GeekyDad

Thought I'd share some thoughts on Beyond the Labyrinth while I'm waiting for my 3DS to charge.

I've said it before, but I think the game could be very divisive. One reason is the battle system - I think like much with Resonance of Fate...

You had me at "Resonance of Fate."

Nah, I had every intention of getting this game anyway if it ever made its way over to the U.S. I didn't realize it was already out, though (in Japan, I'm assuming). Also didn't read the story spoiler, but glad to hear it's not just another cookie-cutter dungeon crawler.

Bumhead

Banned
I wrote an Impressions piece on the 3DS Circle Pad, if anyone's interested or after some more thoughts and impressions on it before they buy.

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2012/01/28/impressions-frankenstick/

Tap Repeatedly said:
Look beyond the silliness though and Nintendo’s eventual solution is one that isn’t as crazy or stupid as it looks. It’s unlikely a game will ever launch for the 3DS that absolutely requires the Frankenstick to run properly, so this is very much a disposable video game accessory in consumer choice territory. An optional extra for those that want it and little more. The question therefore becomes whether or not anyone should actually buy one, and that’s a surprisingly easier question to answer for a product as daft and obscenely ugly as this than you might expect.

Kuramu

Anyone pick up a Circle Pad Pro? Just tried to play it with Mario Kart. I know the game doesn't technically support it, but tried to see if I could still play the game normally with the extra grip. I couldn't, due to the button placement restrictions on the 3DS itself, but I wish MK supported the CPP. The game felt really comfortable with the extra support and I'd love to use the triggers for power ups and drifting rather than the shoulder buttons.

get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MKN3YE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
There's a whole thread about 3ds grips btw

I can't decide if I should get Tales Of The Abyss now or not. I really wont be playing it properly at all for a long time, but who knows how difficult it'll be to find later? PAL ones are already stupidly expensive.

Hmmmm.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I can't decide if I should get Tales Of The Abyss now or not. I really wont be playing it properly at all for a long time, but who knows how difficult it'll be to find later? PAL ones are already stupidly expensive.

Hmmmm.

I'm going to end up buying it when it's released in NA, but I won't have much time to play it -- I have a pretty big backlog as it is but I don't want to miss out not having it later lol.

I still have to play more of SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, which is great btw.

jonno394

That would be a shame, but seeing as they shot themselves in the foot by releasing the HD collection before it, it makes sense.

Just watched the trailer on the 3DS and thought it looked pretty great, and made me hope it does ok so that we might get a new MGS title developed for it.

You had me at "Resonance of Fate."

Nah, I had every intention of getting this game anyway if it ever made its way over to the U.S. I didn't realize it was already out, though (in Japan, I'm assuming). Also didn't read the story spoiler, but glad to hear it's not just another cookie-cutter dungeon crawler.

Well, I don't mean that it's like Resonance of Fate, just that it's likely to be divisive in the same way.

Incidentally, I just unlocked a new ability that adds a whole new layer of strategy to the battle system. You gain the ability to switch party members between attacking enemies or defending the girl. If they're on defence, then they get taken out of the turn order. This means you can skip turns or interrupt the turn order by adding characters back in during someone else's turn. It explains why the battle animations are a bit slow: it's to give you time to switch characters in and out.
(You can also skip turns by using an item you find scattered around the labyrinth.)

GeekyDad

Well, I don't mean that it's like Resonance of Fate, just that it's likely to be divisive in the same way.

Incidentally, I just unlocked a new ability that adds a whole new layer of strategy to the battle system. You gain the ability to switch party members between attacking enemies or defending the girl. If they're on defence, then they get taken out of the turn order. This means you can skip turns or interrupt the turn order by adding characters back in during someone else's turn. It explains why the battle animations are a bit slow: it's to give you time to switch characters in and out.
(You can also skip turns by using an item you find scattered around the labyrinth.)

:)

Yeah, I got that. I was being playful. RoF wasn't actually all that divisive, though. I think most folks who were able to cut past the abhorrent tutorials saw the game for what it was: incredibly innovative, fun, challenging, and wrapped in a terrible story with the most uninspired dungeons perhaps this generation.

But it's nice to know that this particular game is also trying new things.

Where can one find a list of the 3DS games released so far in the US?

I need to start making a wish list, as for the first time since the 3DS launch I feel like I'm falling behind in purchases.

I think all classic games should be available on there. Since the 3DS can handle it, why the hell not?

(You go and find a way to play that game somehow! I love Fusion and Zero Mission, but Super Metroid is pure genius.)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think all classic games should be available on there. Since the 3DS can handle it, why the hell not?

(You go and find a way to play that game somehow! I love Fusion and Zero Mission, but Super Metroid is pure genius.)

True, i was just thinking about it - there is no reasony why i shouldnt be able to play FF III (VI) or Secret of Mana on the 3DS, so weird.

I have a question that hopefully GAF can answer ...

You see, I get terrible motion sickness when playing bioshock 2 or Crysis 2 with all that head bobbling and stuff. I know the 3D of the 3DS will do the same to me (because I've had it happen with 3D TV's and Movies.) So my question is, Can I play 3DS games without the 3D, and will they look ok ? Cuz like when you look at a 3D tv without glasses it looks terrible ! The same is true for magazines and such.

Take RE: Revelations for example, if I played it with 3D off, would it look good ? Or by turning 3D off am I lowering the graphic fidelity/Image Quality ?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom