• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Guild 01 Crimson Shroud Details (Yasumi Matsuno) [Update: Screens]

Truth101

Banned
Mod Abuse 2: Abuse Harder

http://www.guild01.jp/crimsonshroud/index.html

Characters:

img_game7.jpg

img_game8.jpg

Dungeon/Map:

img_game02.jpg

img_game05.jpg

Battle/Dice:

img_game03.jpg

img_game04.jpg

Events:

img_game06.jpg

----------

Mod Abuse Start

Sigh. Mistranslations are cool. The original text says "TRPG," which is not "tactical RPG." It's tabletop RPG. Tactical RPGs are called simulation RPGs in Japan.

Anoop seems to have jumped to conclusions. The Japanese blog I'm reading says the game is a dice driven TRPG, with text adventure presentation for the story scenes. TRPG is not "tactical RPG" but "table top RPG".

Full scans are out for the article. 2 pages in Famitsu, shows various screenshots of the game, and gives a pretty good idea of how the game will look like. The top screen depicts the actions and events in the game, and is full 3D. The characters look kinda like The Last Story. Dark fantasy types.

Once again, the game is not a "tactical RPG" but rather a "table RPG". The game is supposed to simulate a table top RPG experience where there is a game master guiding the player through a campaign, and you use dice rolls to determine success or failure for your actions. The bottom screen depicts either the menu, or a map, or the die which are used to roll for actions.

Most story events on the top screen will be narrated by full screen text paragraphs overlaid on the 3D events on the screen. There is a battle screen which shows 3 party members against a giant minotaur, and it seems to be turn based (there is text saying "The minotaur attacks!") but they're keeping the battle system under wraps for now.

Mod Abuse End

I felt enough people would want to know, that it deserves a new thread

As one would expect of a Matsuno game, Crimson Shroud is a tactical RPG. However, the success of your moves is determined, at least in part, by dice roles. The magazine doesn't get too specific on the battle system beyond this.
The game also has a story component. This is presented in the form of a text-style adventure

I'll try to update the thread when in-game screens get posted on Famitsu, if I'm awake. If not you can just PM a mod to edit thread/title.

Source

Thanks B.K.

Einhander

Ah, looking forward to seeing the first screens. More intriguing Matsuno games is always a plus. I like the artwork for Crimson Shroud.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm really interested in the text based RPG talk. I hope the story mode parts look something like this :

4kXws.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God i would kill to see Guild 01 translated.

There's this one quote going around that kinda suggests the graphics aren't that great, so I'm really chomping at the bit to see how it looks.

Aeana

Sigh. Mistranslations are cool. The original text says "TRPG," which is not "tactical RPG." It's tabletop RPG. Tactical RPGs are called simulation RPGs in Japan.

duckroll

Anoop seems to have jumped to conclusions. The Japanese blog I'm reading says the game is a dice driven TRPG, with text adventure presentation for the story scenes. TRPG is not "tactical RPG" but "table top RPG".

duckroll

Didn't we already know all of this stuff?
I'm pretty sure I did.

Yeah there's no new information in terms of what has been posted so far. But what would be new is that maybe the article actually has screenshots of the game itself, which would be new.

duckroll

Full scans are out for the article. 2 pages in Famitsu, shows various screenshots of the game, and gives a pretty good idea of how the game will look like. The top screen depicts the actions and events in the game, and is full 3D. The characters look kinda like The Last Story. Dark fantasy types.

Once again, the game is not a "tactical RPG" but rather a "table RPG". The game is supposed to simulate a table top RPG experience where there is a game master guiding the player through a campaign, and you use dice rolls to determine success or failure for your actions. The bottom screen depicts either the menu, or a map, or the die which are used to roll for actions.

Most story events on the top screen will be narrated by full screen text paragraphs overlaid on the 3D events on the screen. There is a battle screen which shows 3 party members against a giant minotaur, and it seems to be turn based (there is text saying "The minotaur attacks!") but they're keeping the battle system under wraps for now.

duckroll

Oh, I forgot to mention, the 3D character models are actually designed to look like detailed table top figures, complete with a stand.

Kinda like this:

hqPgJ.jpg

That's how they actually look in cutscenes too. They're like figures placed on a play set environment.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the 3D character models are actually designed to look like detailed table top figures, complete with a stand.

Kinda like this:

hqPgJ.jpg

That's how they actually look in cutscenes too. They're like figures placed on a play set environment.

Graphics look like hi-res Vagrant Story.

Lord Matsuno! My wallet is yours to command!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
surprised at the lack of hype for this

a new matsuno game and barely any replies? gaming is dead.

duckroll

Maybe the lack of hype is because the last time someone decided to make a RPG based on table top RPG gaming, we got Unlimited SaGa. :p

I will do evil things to get this game localized.

I love the idea of these omnibus games, and I approve of more in the future. Or more smaller downloadable games, but both would be fine!

I think it has more to do with the lack of media for all these games.

And that people are far more excited for Suda's game :p

I never played a table top RPG before so color me interested. It will be interesting to see how he translate that to a video game. Anyway Matsuno has earned my trust, can't wait to see more.

Maybe the lack of hype is because the last time someone decided to make a RPG based on table top RPG gaming, we got Unlimited SaGa. :p

oh... :(

Best RPG on PS2 behind Dragon Quarter. Believe it, comrades.

It was an incredibly deep game that would have been awesome, if 95% of the gameplay had not been the most excruciatingly obtuse, unplayable, and unfun game I have ever played. It was like every feature of the game was designed specifically to make me hate it. Unique game, some nice character design, and a great soundtrack are the only good things I can say about the game. It is also probably the single worst game I own.

But yeah, now that I am playing D&D semi-regularly, I am intrigued by this Matsuno game.

Best RPG on PS2 behind Dragon Quarter. Believe it, comrades.

It was an incredibly deep game that would have been awesome, if 95% of the gameplay had not been the most excruciatingly obtuse, unplayable, and unfun game I have ever played. It was like every feature of the game was designed specifically to make me hate it. Unique game, some nice character design, and a great soundtrack are the only good things I can say about the game. It is also probably the single worst game I own.

But yeah, now that I am playing D&D semi-regularly, I am intrigued by this Matsuno game.

I am firmly on the Unlimited Saga defense force. Mainly due to what it was trying to achieve. Hopefully Matsuno and his team succeed in the areas that Unlimited Saga failed:
user interface, graphic representation, explaining the systems to the user so that they know what in the world to do to win, etc.

The potential of a Japanese D&D type game is so very very awesome. I can't think of a better group to take it on then the one working on this.

Riposte

Hmmm...

You would think a videogame tabletop conversion from Matsuno would be a SRPG with a certain aesthetic. Tabletop RPG is not a videogame genre, for obvious reasons!

Zornica

Banned
I am still not sure about the whole package guild 01 tries to offer... Its 4 games in 1, but I am afraid that all 4 would be half assed minigames. or at least small games with max 2 hours each... My personal hype is suffering tremendously because of that uncertainty.

Top Bottom