• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 4.10 - WEB BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS JEFF_RIGBY REDEEMED

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Youtube
TwitchTV
Twitter

All working fine now. Thanks based RIGBY

Mobius 1

After testing, it's much improved. Rendering is more compliant with web standards, supports web fonts, it's generally faster and manages memory much better. I can now load pages with heavy data that would crash it before.

Massa

Looks like they're using the same outdated version of WebKit as the Vita browser, so hopefully they will update it as well. Still miles better than what they had before.

jett

D-Member
AlGWce9CIAAbz5m.jpg

80/475

:lol

hold dat shit

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It has HTML5 Canvas support. Ballin'

Norml

Hmm, can you watch HD YouTube videos now?

Also lol at Jeff_Rigby redeemed, you're the same people jumping the gun then as you are now.
I'd like to know how his walls of text translate to what was actually updated.
seems you can only choose 240p.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just took photos of those two tests pre-update. If people want, I'll upload them momentarily. (Shotwell Photo Manager is still processing them...)

the new browser is actually faster and loads up a few sites i couldn't load correctly before. still not the best browsing experience, but it's getting better.

jsnepo

Browser is indeed faster and the layout of some sites is fixed. This is indeed a useful update. Now if only it can be accessed in game, I may no longer have to leave my computer running or buy a tablet while playing a game.

Argyle

According to a post in another forum in December 2011, it was:
"1 + No Bonus Points."

I'd say "80 + no bonus" is a pretty substantial upgrade.

(Quick comparison: 3DS browser was 120+no bonus, Wii is 91+0 bonus, Vita is 66+no bonus, iPhone 4S is 296+9 bonus.)
For what it's worth, this is a Vita on 1.60 (also out today)...

2012-02-07-192730.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well the fact the PS3 browser update gives me faith that the Vita browser too will get some added updates.

Three years from now :/.

Zen

Banned
Couldn't go above 240p here. :\

Ditto, that is dissapointing, but the browser feels far less cumbersome now. I'm dissapointed that we will likely never get Move support for the browser, as the Wii browser made me really appreciate point based browsing from my chair.

elty

According to a post in another forum in December 2011, it was:
"1 + No Bonus Points."

I'd say "80 + no bonus" is a pretty substantial upgrade.

(Quick comparison: 3DS browser was 120+no bonus, Wii is 91+0 bonus, Vita is 66+no bonus, iPhone 4S is 296+9 bonus.)

Nintendo has a better browser? Mind blown. (I guess that's because they are smart enough to outsource it to Opera).

ICS default browser is 256 + 3. Chrome 16 is 374 + 13.

Nintendo has a better browser? Mind blown. (I guess that's because they are smart enough to outsource it to Opera).

ICS default browser is 256 + 3. Chrome 16 is 374 + 13.

Wii has an Opera browser, yes. But 3DS is actually a low-memory-profile Netfront-based browser. (PS3's browser is also Netfront-based.) It's slower than molasses in January, but it's pretty compatible with most low-intensity stuff. There's even an HTML5-based drawing app for 3DS' browser.

Loudninja

Anyone else having this issue? I chose a bad time to update as my PS3 is my only option for receiving Netflix downstairs and it's evidently broken after this update, even after deleting the app and its save data.

I hope a fix is found soon!
Yep same problem.

Emwitus

I can't help but smile when I look at the thread title. I hated all the unwarranted Rigby ridicule that went around.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Anyone else having this issue? I chose a bad time to update as my PS3 is my only option for receiving Netflix downstairs and it's evidently broken after this update, even after deleting the app and its save data.

I hope a fix is found soon!

Fucking horseshit. A worthless update forced on me when I'm trying to watch Netflix, and then to add insult to injury, it breaks the app.

It sounds like resetting the app will fix this. Hold start and select after you launch it. It might take multiple resets, according to the forum thread I found. That was for an older update, but maybe it's the same deal here.

boosh5

Banned
Not to detract from the thread of massive Jeff redemption, but is anyone else trying to update via usb hard drive/stick? This is my usual method, but on two different drives, I'm not even getting the choice between checking for the update online or on the drive. It goes straight to the web. Both drives are FAT. Both have correct folder structure. Has something changed?

UFRA

Just for reference, basic IE9 on Windows 7 scores a 141/475 with 5 bonus points.

So the PS3 browser is pretty close to a normal PC browser now.

Top Bottom