• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Flachmatuch
Member
(02-15-2012, 08:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Vamphuntr

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Are we sure there isn't a way to bring up a power wheel like in every other similar games? This is fairly stupid if you can't. I'm playing as a 100% sorcerer and I need my healing, summon, elemental rage, and all the other elemental spells. Some drain MP quickly so I use the cheap ones to kill a single foe and use them only for crowd control.

:(

Well of course I'm not sure, I just never managed to do it and there was no tutorial that explained how to do it. I'm playing as a sorcerer too but only ever need to use the three basic elemental spells + Meteor though. Healing was only needed while I had to save potions, but I haven't used one in ten hours or so (craft high health regen equipment and have some potions ready anyway just to be safe instead of Healing, they're better in any case - if you need one potion, chances are you'll need several so Healing won't be much use) so was kind of OK - but not being able to use summoning and the sustained defense spell is annoying. Hope I'm wrong though.
Last edited by Flachmatuch; 02-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Zefah
Member
(02-15-2012, 08:52 PM)
If I ever switch over to playing a magic user or start up a new game as one, I think I'm definitely going to play with the mouse and keyboard. Only being able to bind 4 active skills to the pad just wouldn't work...
Deified Data
(02-15-2012, 08:55 PM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vamphuntr

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Are we sure there isn't a way to bring up a power wheel like in every other similar games? This is fairly stupid if you can't. I'm playing as a 100% sorcerer and I need my healing, summon, elemental rage, and all the other elemental spells. Some drain MP quickly so I use the cheap ones to kill a single foe and use them only for crowd control.

:(

Yeah, I saw the same message advising you to apply a sustained ability, activate it, and then remove it from your set skills for maximum effect. Essentially, "Sorry guys! It is what it is." I don't actually have enough skills yet for this to bother me.

...

Hey guys! I just noticed something odd. When I'm selecting an ability to allocate a point to during level up (sagecrafting, lockpicking, etc) I'll notice that a skill I've never allocated points to before (lockpicking) has points in it, taking up a square with a little bar o it. What does this mean? Does this come from the gear I'm wearing?
Last edited by Deified Data; 02-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(02-15-2012, 08:57 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
Pity they don't let you map abilities to the D-pad as well, or the LB radial menu. Guess I'll have to really specialize with my mage build.
Deified Data
(02-15-2012, 09:01 PM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Pity they don't let you map abilities to the D-pad as well, or the LB radial menu. Guess I'll have to really specialize with my mage build.

Agreed. Having the L2 radial menu for usable items alongside the d-pad buttons for health/mana potions seems superfluous. Just assign all items to L2! Though I guess using abilities off the d-pad o the fly would be kind of clumsy.
edgefusion
Member
(02-15-2012, 09:03 PM)
edgefusion's Avatar
How many different kinds of finesse armour are there? I just hit level 20 and, apart from the travellers guild reward, I feel like all I've found are different colour variations of the beginning set of armour. Similar case for Faeblades. I don't feel like my character is growing much when he looks virtually the same as when he was level 1. :/
Vamphuntr
Member
(02-15-2012, 09:05 PM)
Vamphuntr's Avatar
I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but some of my skills broke their level cap with Twist of Fates and gears. I have some skills that are level 7 and the summoning spell becomes game breaking at this level. It makes your minion drains health 100% of the time, haha.

I'm playing on hard and have to agree that the game isn't really difficult. I mean, some enemies can kill my sorcerer in 2-3 hits but you can easily dodge with blink or stun a whole crowd with elemental rage.
Davedough
just swallowin' loads
and returnin' favors
(02-15-2012, 09:07 PM)
Davedough's Avatar

Originally Posted by edgefusion

How many different kinds of finesse armour are there? I just hit level 20 and, apart from the travellers guild reward, I feel like all I've found are different colour variations of the beginning set of armour. Similar case for Faeblades. I don't feel like my character is growing much when he looks virtually the same as when he was level 1. :/

If I had to gripe, I'd say that the looks of the armor is lacking. There's plenty of drops and I get excited to equip them, but they look exactly the same. I've been rocking this robe (look) for 10 levels now. Although I've gotten more powerful gear, it still looks like it did when I was a fledgeling.

Heavy
Member
(02-15-2012, 09:20 PM)
Heavy's Avatar
I beat the game today as well. Clocked in at a little over 60 hours and really enjoyed it.

Story:
I'd say the last 30-35% of the game I barely read any of the text/dialogue unless it was a critical main quest. I'd read or listen to a couple words and then just press X and skip to the next line. It just became overwhelming and wasn't that interesting to read, either. The side quests later on were the worst for me, I just clicked X really fast and accepted the quest then went to the marker.

It was hard to care for the characters. In fact the only one I had some semblance of an emotional attachment with was Alyn because of how great the voice actor was (Abby Craden). I love that Claudia Black type of voice in games. The silent protagonist didn't help in this case... I just didn't care and couldn't feel any attachment.

Gameplay:
Obviously putting 60 hours into a game probably means you enjoyed the gameplay. The combat system was great for an RPG like this and the loot was just awesome and was a major part of why I spent so much time in the game. Loot like this makes games so much better, I probably have undiagnosed OCD.

Been talked about to death but the difficulty was way too easy. Your character becomes so OP for the last 1/3 of the game that you can seriously sell all your potions to make room in your inv. You don't have to block anymore, you don't have to do anything defensive. Blacksmithing, Relentless Assault, Meteor, Tempest, Scattershot, and heavy weapon damage were the most OP skills/aspects of the game.

The most impressive thing about the game was probably how few bugs/glitches in it. Hell of an achievement there considering the scope.

Graphics:
For a game as huge and with as many art assets Amalur has the graphics are fine, better than fine. Art style was nice and it seemed to get better as you went on. I loved the Reckoning executions... whatever group of the team that did them needs a pat on the back, there were so many and they looked so cool and perfectly matched with the monsters. The armor and weapon art was great and seeing how it changes your character.

8.755832/10 is my score:D Closer to a 9 than an 8.5 lol
Last edited by Heavy; 02-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Deified Data
(02-15-2012, 09:58 PM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by edgefusion

How many different kinds of finesse armour are there? I just hit level 20 and, apart from the travellers guild reward, I feel like all I've found are different colour variations of the beginning set of armour. Similar case for Faeblades. I don't feel like my character is growing much when he looks virtually the same as when he was level 1. :/

Same. Sort of like Dragon Age II in that regard. Ton a loot, but you'll look the same at level 30 as you do at 3, with a few exceptions.
Ricker
Member
(02-15-2012, 10:37 PM)
Ricker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deified Data

Yeah, I saw the same message advising you to apply a sustained ability, activate it, and then remove it from your set skills for maximum effect. Essentially, "Sorry guys! It is what it is." I don't actually have enough skills yet for this to bother me.

...

Hey guys! I just noticed something odd. When I'm selecting an ability to allocate a point to during level up (sagecrafting, lockpicking, etc) I'll notice that a skill I've never allocated points to before (lockpicking) has points in it, taking up a square with a little bar o it. What does this mean? Does this come from the gear I'm wearing?


I am not sure I fully understand that screen as well...some have nothing in the square,some have what looks to be a 1 and some have the sign...or sign,nothing,1 and sign in the 4th...??? what does it mean?
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(02-15-2012, 10:45 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
Is it possible to get over to the right side of the map without doing the main questline?
1stStrike
Banned
(02-15-2012, 11:05 PM)
1stStrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flachmatuch

I don't think you can. The game even tells you in a hint that you can unbind sustained spells after casting them and they'll be kept up, I think that's a not-so-subtle acknowledgement that the 4 skill limit is there. It's one of the more annoying problems with the game.

Must be on console, cause on PC...

H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:11 PM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deified Data

Same. Sort of like Dragon Age II in that regard. Ton a loot, but you'll look the same at level 30 as you do at 3, with a few exceptions.

You guys have to go purple or gold, plenty of sets and unique armor pieces that look awesome and trust me they all different, not to mention all the awesome unique weapons .I change my look all the time cause I can't decide which one to wear,I like them all so much. I've been using white, green and blue items only at the very beginning of the game, since then didn't even touch it, I don't even pick it up :D
Last edited by H3rTz DoNuT; 02-15-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Torraz
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:16 PM)
Torraz's Avatar
I wish that master blacksmiths would be able to copy the looks of unique items they possess.

I just found two awesome looking unique greatswords, but my generic crafted one is better :(.
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:19 PM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Torraz

I wish that master blacksmiths would be able to copy the looks of unique items they possess.

I just found two awesome looking unique greatswords, but my generic crafted one is better :(.

If you could copy the look of the unique item it wouldn't be so unique anymore ;)
1stStrike
Banned
(02-15-2012, 11:24 PM)
1stStrike's Avatar
One thing I've learned as the game has progressed - don't get so caught up on stats by the 1/2 way, or 3/4 way mark in the game. At that point, your character is so overpowered it hardly matters what you wear. Just put on the shit that looks good.
Deified Data
(02-15-2012, 11:26 PM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1stStrike

One thing I've learned as the game has progressed - don't get so caught up on stats by the 1/2 way, or 3/4 way mark in the game. At that point, your character is so overpowered it hardly matters what you wear. Just put on the shit that looks good.

Hell, that's my philosophy 100% of the time.
Hobbun
(02-15-2012, 11:26 PM)
Hobbun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alucrid

Pressing one if the analog sticks in does that when you're moving.

My roommate tried this out and it only centers your view to the extent of making it level (horizontal). But it doesn't bring the camera in behind you and look over your shoulder (like in Zelda).

Oh well.
scy
(02-15-2012, 11:48 PM)
scy's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1stStrike

Must be on console, cause on PC...

Same issue for PC with a controller. Personally, I kind of like the limitation as it lets me think about my loadout some. Just wish the tree was designed better to let you go through it without picking up extraneous active abilities.

Well, to be more specific, I wish Sorcery let you get through it better without too many active abilities. Might and Finesse don't really have that issue, even for most hybrid builds.
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:48 PM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by edgefusion

How many different kinds of finesse armour are there? I just hit level 20 and, apart from the travellers guild reward, I feel like all I've found are different colour variations of the beginning set of armour. Similar case for Faeblades. I don't feel like my character is growing much when he looks virtually the same as when he was level 1. :/

There are a lot of them mate but don't count on a basic gear to look awesome. You guys really have to put some time in farming if you want the fancy gear. You won't get it going through location once or twice, you really have to work for it.

Originally Posted by Davedough

If I had to gripe, I'd say that the looks of the armor is lacking. There's plenty of drops and I get excited to equip them, but they look exactly the same. I've been rocking this robe (look) for 10 levels now. Although I've gotten more powerful gear, it still looks like it did when I was a fledgeling.

There are some really awesome looking pieces for Mages as well, but as I said, you have to put some time in getting them. Some of you might think that is a bad loot system or something, it's not, it's just the way it should be. I think the way the game gives loot is very well done. You don't have to farm one enemy with high drop ratio, you can get this stuff from almost any type of enemy and that's why farming is so much fun in this game.

Here is a small example of custom unique set for spell casters... and trust me there is a lot more better looking stuff out there ;)



Last edited by H3rTz DoNuT; 02-15-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Deified Data
(02-15-2012, 11:50 PM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3rTz DoNuT

You guys have to go purple or gold, plenty of sets and unique armor pieces that look awesome and trust me they all different, not to mention all the awesome unique weapons .I change my look all the time cause I can't decide which one to wear,I like them all so much. I've been using white, green and blue items only at the very beginning of the game, since then didn't even touch it, I don't even pick it up :D

Currently farming for the Perfidious set. Either that, or I'll join the Travellers and get their set.
Davedough
just swallowin' loads
and returnin' favors
(02-15-2012, 11:54 PM)
Davedough's Avatar
When you respec, do the skills points reset too or just the abilities?

Originally Posted by H3rTz DoNuT

There are a lot of them mate but don't count on a basic gear to look awesome. You guys really have to put some time in farming if you want the fancy gear. You won't get it going through location once or twice, you really have to work for it.



There are some really awesome looking pieces for Mages as well, but as I said, you have to put some time in getting them. Some of you might think that is a bad loot system or something, it's not, it's just the way it should be. I think the way the game give loot is very well done. You don't have to farm one enemy with high drop ratio, you can get this stuff from almost any type of enemy.

Here is a small example of custom unique set for spell casters... and trust me there is a lot more better looking stuff out there ;)



Those are hot.

Tips for farming? Are there general areas you go or just walk around? Do you replay dungeons or just do the quests?
Bootaaay
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:55 PM)
Bootaaay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Davedough

When you respec, do the skills points reset too or just the abilities?

Everything resets, except for the skill points you bought via a trainer.
Nelo Ice
Nelotard
(02-15-2012, 11:56 PM)
Nelo Ice's Avatar
Got some extra $$ and now I think I'll buy it. Still considering waiting for a sale even with the extra $$ but damnit Mr. Schilling you've made it nearly impossible for me to not support u at full price.
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-15-2012, 11:57 PM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deified Data

Currently farming for the Perfidious set. Either that, or I'll join the Travellers and get their set.

I'm missing the chest for Perfidious set, where did get the drops of this set so far?
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:00 AM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Davedough

When you respec, do the skills points reset too or just the abilities?



Those are hot.

Tips for farming? Are there general areas you go or just walk around? Do you replay dungeons or just do the quests?

You probably won't get much of the nice stuff from the quests, at least I didn't. The best way to go is to know what level is the set. Let's say, that the set you have a piece for, requires 6 might. You know that is a very low level set and the biggest chances of getting the rest of the pieces will be going through the low level areas. If you have any specific set you're looking for give me the name and if I have a piece of it I'll know where to look for it ;)
Ploid 3.0
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:01 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1stStrike

Must be on console, cause on PC...

Can you use both keyboard and controller when dealing with the macro slots? For example have the immediate spells on the 4 slots that's accessible via controller, then add more abilities via mouse and keyboard, so when you're playing you can use the controller for abilities you need asap, then use buffs or summons that you couldn't fit on the controller setup.
Deified Data
(02-16-2012, 12:04 AM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3rTz DoNuT

I'm missing the chest for Perfidious set, where did get the drops of this set so far?

I believe I got the gloves (the only piece I have so far) near the area outside of the House of Ballads in Dalentarth, so I've been farming the area looking for the rest. It sucks because I can't remember exactly where I found it...may have been an enemy drop, may have been a hidden chest, can't remember. Oh, well.
scy
(02-16-2012, 12:05 AM)
scy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Can you use both keyboard and controller when dealing with the macro slots? For example have the immediate spells on the 4 slots that's accessible via controller, then add more abilities via mouse and keyboard, so when you're playing you can use the controller for abilities you need asap, then use buffs or summons that you couldn't fit on the controller setup.

I keep my sustained abilities on that bar for if there's ever a case of reapplying them. Would work for those really rare active abilities too like Healing Surge.
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:07 AM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deified Data

I believe I got the gloves (the only piece I have so far) near the area outside of the House of Ballads in Dalentarth, so I've been farming the area looking for the rest. It sucks because I can't remember exactly where I found it...may have been an enemy drop, may have been a hidden chest, can't remember. Oh, well.

Thanks mate, will try my luck there, the set gives Ninja-like look ;)
Wallach
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:07 AM)
Wallach's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ploid 3.0

Can you use both keyboard and controller when dealing with the macro slots? For example have the immediate spells on the 4 slots that's accessible via controller, then add more abilities via mouse and keyboard, so when you're playing you can use the controller for abilities you need asap, then use buffs or summons that you couldn't fit on the controller setup.

This is how I play, actually. I have 5/6 bound to mouse buttons (Faer Gorta and Sphere of Protection) and I use the mouse when I need to activate those. I also have quick save bound to Space so that when I'm playing I can just smack it twice and move on.

Still, they need a second set of hotkeys. Their current configuration is terrible.

Edit - Speaking of this, today I'm going to move into a JoaT Destiny, and it was kind of annoying to make a build because of this limitation.
Last edited by Wallach; 02-16-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Deified Data
(02-16-2012, 12:08 AM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3rTz DoNuT

Thanks mate, will try my luck there, the set gives Ninja-like look ;)

It's definitely in that general area, at least it was in my case. Hope that helps. Hasn't helped me much. ^_^;;
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(02-16-2012, 12:09 AM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar
Perfidious is the only non-quest set I finished in one playthrough. I'm underwhelmed by the finesse sets, both in terms of stats and in terms of looks. I'd try Sidhe if you're looking for an area to actively farm for it.

Just put +2 HP regen on one of your items and then it doesn't matter what the rest of your gear has.
Starbuck2907
Junior Member
(02-16-2012, 12:10 AM)
Starbuck2907's Avatar
I played the demo of this game, and despite liking some elements of it, I really hated how the camera stayed so close to the character. I like being able to zoom out a lot more than it let me, or at least have the camera a few feet farther back. However, I did enjoy most other elements of the game...it feels like Fable but without the crap level design. I liked the semi-open world feel of Fable (the first one), and the open world works very well. (I thought Fable 2 and 3 were steps backward in many ways.)

The combat is cool because of the variety of things, but it still feels a little clunky to me, say the same way that Fable does, whereas I like the tighter feeling of the Ninja Gaiden series.

Overall though, I thought the game was decent. I'll probably pick it up at some point (new, not used) when my gaming backlog is a little smaller.

Semi-related question about the demo: When you unlock the second Mass Effect 3 in-game item in this demo, does it give you a message? I know it gave me two messages (one for mass effect 3 and one for KoA:R) when I started the demo, but I never got a message for the second ME3 for playing for 45 minutes. Instead, the game said "disconnected from EA servers. You cannot get achievements", or something to that effect, and it booted me to the endgame video (I had played for 45 minutes). I never got a message saying that I got the second ME3 in-game item. Was I supposed to get one?

I'm a fool for unlocks, so I always play the demos of games that let you unlock stuff in the real game and/or for other games.
ParityBit
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:12 AM)
ParityBit's Avatar
After Dalentarth, is it better to go to the plains or Detyre?
Wallach
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:14 AM)
Wallach's Avatar

Originally Posted by ParityBit

After Dalentarth, is it better to go to the plains or Detyre?

I recommend going to Detyre. The plains seem to scale to a higher level.
crimzonflame
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:19 AM)
crimzonflame's Avatar
I seemed to have experienced my first glitched quest. I can't trigger the quest in Cathrus (Webwood) even though I see the floating arrow indicating where I should stand.
toastyToast
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:24 AM)
toastyToast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wallach

I recommend going to Detyre. The plains seem to scale to a higher level.

I went to the Plains. Am I overlevelled for Detyre if I'm at level 22?
cametall
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:28 AM)
cametall's Avatar
One of the best purchases I've made!

Got $15 off (Amazon matching Toys R Us) and now Amazon gives me a $20 credit due to some price drop on this game? Loving it!

The game is great too, so much to do. I'm a little under 9 hours in and I haven't hit level 10 yet. I'm going finesse/sorcery.
Wallach
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:28 AM)
Wallach's Avatar

Originally Posted by toasty_T

I went to the Plains. Am I overlevelled for Detyre if I'm at level 22?

No, I don't think so.
Klyka
(02-16-2012, 12:29 AM)
Klyka's Avatar

Originally Posted by toasty_T

I went to the Plains. Am I overlevelled for Detyre if I'm at level 22?

No, i went there at 24.
toastyToast
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:40 AM)
toastyToast's Avatar
Coolio, I wanted to head there to continue the Travellers quests anyway. Might be good to mix things up.
1stStrike
Banned
(02-16-2012, 12:44 AM)
1stStrike's Avatar
Just noticed this. Pretty funny.



Most of those are from the orbs on my shield decimating them as I run past lol.
Wallach
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:46 AM)
Wallach's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1stStrike

Most of those are from the orbs on my shield decimating them as I run past lol.

One of the reasons I'm going away from pure Sorcery is to get away from this thing. I'm so tired of having it active, hearing it smack walls/chests/chickens/crates, and bugging out every time I talk to an NPC and not regenerating orbs.
ParityBit
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:53 AM)
ParityBit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wallach

I recommend going to Detyre. The plains seem to scale to a higher level.

Excellent, thanks! Off I go!
corrosivefrost
Member
(02-16-2012, 12:54 AM)
corrosivefrost's Avatar
Played the demo; I liked it a lot -- had a bunch of technical problems though -- parts where the floor would drop out and I'd just see blurry reflections and such. Odd.

Is the general PS3 port of this okay? Something I can pick up with confidence when it drops into my price range?
moop1167
Member
(02-16-2012, 01:56 AM)
moop1167's Avatar
Okay who said this game was easy? I am in Detyre and I keep getting up against 2+ mages at once. All of their spells are homing so I can't dodge shit and when I try to block I still lose a ton of health. When they attack at the same time I am fucked b/c I can't dodge.
Orca
Member
(02-16-2012, 02:00 AM)
Orca's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1stStrike

Just noticed this. Pretty funny.



Most of those are from the orbs on my shield decimating them as I run past lol.

Man, I've been killing them nonstop and didn't know it was tracking what a bastard I was the whole time :D
ReaperXL7
Member
(02-16-2012, 02:07 AM)
ReaperXL7's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3rTz DoNuT

You probably won't get much of the nice stuff from the quests, at least I didn't. The best way to go is to know what level is the set. Let's say, that the set you have a piece for, requires 6 might. You know that is a very low level set and the biggest chances of getting the rest of the pieces will be going through the low level areas. If you have any specific set you're looking for give me the name and if I have a piece of it I'll know where to look for it ;)

Ok so you said before that you had all but one piece of the wanderer finesse set. Can you tell me where your framing that one? The legs are awesome, but I got them in the haxi damn from a chest, anywhere better to farm for it? I also got another head piece from a finesse set that's black and red from the same dungeon can't remember the name though.

Thread Tools