• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Anth0ny
(02-19-2012, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Rhod

Were people confused over GameBoy Advance or PlayStation 2?

And as far as we know, it is one tablet only, right? One tablet, 4 remotes. There hasn't been a Nintendo source to say anything different has there?

It's not just the name (although that's definitely a large part of the confusion). It's the fact that the box itself wasn't even prominently displayed at the conference. They pushed the controller, which to a casual consumer, might just come off as a new Wii controller, like the Wii balance board.

As for 3DS... just look at the hardware. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS... all look like the same thing, more or less. Especially to the massive casual audience Nintendo brought in during the DS/Wii gen. GBC and GBA looked incredibly different, no confusion there.
goomba
(02-19-2012, 11:55 PM)
I really hope there is some extra secret functionality to the WiiU that we havent heard about because as cool as the tablet controller is, I cant see it taking off like the Wii did.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-19-2012, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by goomba

I really hope there is some extra secret functionality to the WiiU that we havent heard about because as cool as the tablet controller is, I cant see it taking off like the Wii did.

Mind beaming technology.
snowdog1971
Banned
(02-19-2012, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by shnord

Wow, I'm not as far down as I thought I'd be. Doesn't feel like I've posted as much as it says.

Sexy.

I want this in as many games as possible.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that with a new Metroid game in particular, the TV view could be third person while you look through Samus' eyes on the subscreen. It would be cool to see Samus aiming/looking around on the TV when you move the controller. If you see an enemy behind Samus on the TV, you turn her around with the circle pad to face it, and then fine-tune your aiming with the gyro/subscreen. Touch things on the screen to scan them. etc.

Yup, a Metroid FPA (PLEASE let it be a launch title...are you listening Nintendo..?!!?!?) will be great on the U controller. And I've a feeling that the scanner in Resident Evil Revelations is going to make a reappearance in Resident Evil 6 which will be equally as cool...although it is annoying that you can't read any info on enemies after you've scanned them like you can in Prime. Perhaps they'll add that for Resident Evil 6..? :o/
ShockingAlberto
(02-19-2012, 11:59 PM)
3DS confusion came down to marketing, not really insurmountable problems with the name or form factor.

Logically sales would have never picked up parallel to DS sales going down if the confusion were so ingrained. No compelling software and high asking price were the biggest problems.
Rhod
(02-20-2012, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

the box itself wasn't even prominently displayed at the conference. They pushed the controller, which to a casual consumer, might just come off as a new Wii controller, like the Wii balance board.

And the Wii Balance Board went badly? Surely the controller was the important thing to communicate. People get excited by its potential. Some may then be disappointed when they get to the store eighteen months later and find out that after going into stasis and not seeing anything further on the Wii U since that awfully confusing reveal in 2011, they have to buy a whole new machine.

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

As for 3DS... just look at the hardware. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS... all look like the same thing, more or less.

Yes. And people were still buying lots of those things with DS in the name. Lots.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-20-2012, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Rhod

Still not even sure why it would matter if people *were* confused if it was a new machine or not. They can't accidentally spend $250 on it to plug into their own Wii at home anyway, so if they are interested in it, they'll find out soon enough when they go to buy it/do some more research.

It's not just the name, really. As much as I dislike "Wii U," it's really the combination of everything about the console being so similar to Wii (from the name, to the branding, the colors, design, etc...) that will make people confused.

I want them to change the name, but even changing the primary color scheme and design of the hardware would undeniably help set the Wii U apart.

I remember a Nintendo product that sorta had the opposite problem: the Gameboy Advance SP. At least in my neck of the woods, I remember a lot of people being initially confused and wondering if their OG advance games would play in it or vice versa, all because of the radical (and sexy) redesign.
SolarPowered
(02-20-2012, 12:06 AM)
I gotta admit that I was mad at myself for reading/skimming this thread since page twenty today until I hit the pages with fan made box art and the fan made OS pictures.

Good job, fellas.

*continues to catch up*
Indyana
(02-20-2012, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Glass Joe

No, but PlayStation "2" was pretty clearly the next generation of the PlayStation name. Prior Gameboys I don't think had as many revisions to confuse the casual public, and even if so, "Advance" is clearly refers to a step up in how it's named.

"3DS" and "Wii U" don't really scream next gen, though personally I'm fine with the actual name Wii U. I've just read that a name change is likely, so they'd possibly take advantage of this opportunity to get people informed of the new name.

I don't know. There was a Playstation and a PS One, so the Playstation 2 could be the second iteration of the first Playstation.

If people could understand that the Playstation 2 was another generation, they shouldn't have problems understanding the Wii U is another generation. At least not the kind of people that is allowed to walk alone. Or the kind of people that doesn't want to be confused.
Sadist
(02-20-2012, 12:08 AM)
Plus, the presentation itself last year was pretty shoddy. Iwata and especially Reggie's stage performance were the worst I've seen from both in years. They seemed too rushed, tripping over words which they have rarely done before in other presentations over the years.
Last edited by Sadist; 02-20-2012 at 12:10 AM.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 12:09 AM)
They definitely did not prepare the Wii U presentation out very far in advance last year.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-20-2012, 12:11 AM)
Am I the only one anticipating Monolith's game more than anything Nintendo has except Zelda? I can't wait to see what they pull off. I bet there will be HD towns and whatnot.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 12:13 AM)
Definitely want to see what Monolith does.
Xenoblade is amazing.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-20-2012, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

Am I the only one anticipating Monolith's game more than anything Nintendo has except Zelda? I can't wait to see what they pull off. I bet there will be HD towns and whatnot.

Me too. After Retro's mystery game I'm most excited about what Monolith is possibly working on. Hopefully it's an RPG. They made hands-down one of the best JRPGs this gen, and it's always been a dream of mine that Nintendo retain a world-class RPG franchise exclusively for their console...and well, that ain't coming from Square Enix these days...
-Pyromaniac-
(02-20-2012, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by royalan

Me too. After Retro's mystery game I'm most excited about what Monolith is possibly working on. Hopefully it's an RPG. They made hands-down one of the best JRPGs this gen, and it's always been a dream of mine that Nintendo retain a world-class RPG franchise exclusively for their console...and well, that ain't coming from Square Enix these days...

indeed. I'd very much love if Monolith was the designated RPG maker from Nintendo. Not doubting they can make other games that are good but it's all I want from them.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 12:19 AM)
Just as long as they keep localizing them.
Still pissed we never got Soma Bringer.
Rhod
I'm excited to see what is WiiU's equivalent of the weather, news, and voting channels etc? Does Wii U come with FlipNote Studio 2 built in (perfect interface and perfect sharing mechanism). Is there a GB Pocket Camera style photo-editing app for the built in camera - like a Nintendo take on Apple's Photo Booth? Does it have video conferencing? How does the Virtual Console fit in to the interface? Can we have folders this time?
Conor 419
Banned
I'd like more Xenoblade, simply because the title bloody well deserves to be in HD.
MDX
(02-20-2012, 12:21 AM)

Whats a HD town?
-Pyromaniac-
(02-20-2012, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Just as long as they keep localizing them.
Still pissed we never got Soma Bringer.

if content content content seems to be the new mantra for the WiiU, Reggie better get on dattt fucking localization.

Originally Posted by MDX

Whats a HD town?

according to SE, it's a myth
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-20-2012, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by MDX

Whats a HD town?

An impossible coding anomaly, to some developers.
StreetsAhead
(02-20-2012, 12:24 AM)
22nd poster in the thread and not a single meaningful contribution. Woohoo!

They definitely did not prepare the Wii U presentation out very far in advance last year.

When did they send out the announcement that they were to show off a new console at e3 to investors? I would say that they began preparing from around then.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 12:25 AM)

Originally Posted by StreetsAhead

22nd poster in the thread and not a single meaningful contribution. Woohoo!

When did they send out the announcement that they were to show off a new console at e3 to investors? I would say that they began preparing from around then.

Near the end of April, I believe.
So that's a few months.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-20-2012, 12:26 AM)
Can't wait till around april/may when 01net spills the beans on EVERYTHING.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-20-2012, 12:29 AM)

That would irritate me beyond belief.

We'd already be a month or so away. Just let the surprise be a surprise.
AzaK
(02-20-2012, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Rösti

Here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php...osted&t=459256

The forum needs to have a metric for posts to useful info ratio :)

Originally Posted by guek

I'd rather they changed the look of the console before they changed the Wii U name.

Likewise - the name is the least of my issues with the thing.

Ooo yeah!
Hero of Legend
(02-20-2012, 12:43 AM)
I'm super excited for whatever Monolith is cooking, hopefully whatever RPG they may be making, will follow in Xenoblade's footsteps.
Glass Joe
(02-20-2012, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Indyana

If people could understand that the Playstation 2 was another generation, they shouldn't have problems understanding the Wii U is another generation. At least not the kind of people that is allowed to walk alone. Or the kind of people that doesn't want to be confused.

Hey, I didn't intend to argue FOR Nintendo changing the name, but when I think about it, I guess I do feel they should.

For example, if DSi is simply a revision of the DS, then I can see why Wii U logically sounds like a revision of the Wii.

Meanwhile, "Super," "Advance" "2, 3, etc" are all pretty uninspired naming conventions. However, they are more clear to the average consumer IMO.

Personally, I'd like them to draw attention to the features of the console in the name. Nintendo "Stream," "Touch," "HD," "Tablet," or hopefully something more creative. But that could just be me.
Hiltz
(02-20-2012, 12:58 AM)
E3 2012

Iwata: We gave it some thought and we decided that...

Audience: ...

Iwata: Wii U will be called ....

Audience Come on. Come on! *crosses fingers*

Iwata: Wii U.

Audience: No !!

Iwata: Enjoy the show.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Hiltz

E3 2012

Iwata: We gave it some thought and we decided that...

Audience: ...

Iwata: Wii U will be called ....

Audience Come on. Come on! (crosses fingers)

Iwata: Wii U.

Audience: No !!

Iwata: Enjoy the show.

I would love it if Iwata did this.
Just because it would be such a perfect troll for no reason.
herzogzwei1989
Banned
(02-20-2012, 01:00 AM)
Iwata is a class act.
Hiltz
(02-20-2012, 01:03 AM)
Iwata will probably say that their decision to keep it as Wii U was entirely up to Miyamoto. Then Miyamoto comes out and reveals Pikmin 3 and that orignial IP he's been working on. Crowd goes nuts but still holds a grudge against him.
Shion
(02-20-2012, 01:03 AM)
I hope Monolith's next game builds upon the Xenoblade formula. I want the awesome overworld of Xenoblade in HD.
Instro
(02-20-2012, 01:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

I'm super excited for whatever Monolith is cooking, hopefully whatever RPG they may be making, will follow in Xenoblade's footsteps.

Well I remember their comment from Iwata asks basically saying they wanted to compete with Bethesda. Truthfully I want a BK sequel, but I will take that on 3DS if I have to.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 01:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Instro

Well I remember their comment from Iwata asks basically saying they wanted to compete with Bethesda.

Elder Xenos: Bladerim
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(02-20-2012, 02:06 AM)
I hate when I seen Xenoblade posted and I have yet to play it :(

I want it in HD on my WiiU
Vinci
Danish
(02-20-2012, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by goomba

I'd imagine any 'secret functionality' would have a great deal to do with the touchscreen controller... which is to say that mitigating its appeal before seeing the full extent to how it could be utilized is probably not wise.

FWIW, I think the Wii U controller could be huge depending on how Nintendo handles it.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Vinci

I'd imagine any 'secret functionality' would have a great deal to do with the touchscreen controller... which is to say that mitigating its appeal before seeing the full extent to how it could be utilized is probably not wise.

FWIW, I think the Wii U controller could be huge depending on how Nintendo handles it.

Actually, I bet any secret function would be part of the Nintendo Network.
Like the previously mentioned ability to watch your friends play a game from across the country.
Lord Ghirahim
(02-20-2012, 02:17 AM)
All major regions will have gotten Xenoblade one way or another by E3, so I expect MLSI's Wii U project to be properly announced then. I won't be devastated if it's absent though.
brochiller
(02-20-2012, 02:23 AM)

Actually, I bet any secret function would be part of the Nintendo Network.
Like the previously mentioned ability to watch your friends play a game from across the country.

I still think this would be totally awesome. I'd love to be able to be playing a single player game on the TV and having a friend's game streamed to the controller. If Nintendo can create a good cross game voice chat solution, we could each be talking about the games we're playing and I could look in on his whenever there was a boss battle or something.

I will be elated if this is possible.
LOCK
(02-20-2012, 02:49 AM)
I would also love to see a Xenoblade game of some sorts at E3. Also the console needs to be redesigned....its just boring.

We should hear info at GDC, at least OS wise.
Anth0ny
(02-20-2012, 02:49 AM)
I anticipate both a name change and some tweaks to the controller at E3.
snowdog1971
Banned
(02-20-2012, 03:02 AM)
I think we're very likely to see two separate SKUs with 2 different colours if the 3DS is anything to go by. My money would be on black and white or black and gray personally, and if so I'll be buying the black one.

And we might have the addition of clickable sticks and analog triggers if Nintendo have been paying attention to feedback from just about everyone after last years E3. I'll be very surprised if they don't anyway.
Mlatador
(02-20-2012, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by LOCK

I would also love to see a Xenoblade game of some sorts at E3. Also the console needs to be redesigned....its just boring.

We should hear info at GDC, at least OS wise.

That will definitely not happen. 100% not. It takes time to make a game of the caliber of Xenoblade or even a Xenoblade 2. We won't see such a game as a launch title.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 03:05 AM)
I've said it before. Clickable sticks, or really any feature, will only be added if third parties deem it important.
Nintendo doesn't care what forum dwellers have to say.

Originally Posted by Mlatador

That will definitely not happen. 100% not. It takes time to make a game of the caliber of Xenoblade or even a Xenoblade 2. We won't see such a game as a launch title.

No, but it's been like two years since XB has been completed.
They likely have something to show.
InsaneZero
(02-20-2012, 03:10 AM)

It took three years for Xenoblade. Monolith has currently been working on something for two.

While a launch title is out of the cards, it'll most likely be in a presentable state by E3.
LOCK
(02-20-2012, 03:10 AM)

I doubt it would be a launch game, but a 2013 game fo sho.
JJConrad
Sucks at viral marketing
(02-20-2012, 03:20 AM)
Why do all these people thinking that Nintendo should change the Wii U's name because it might be confusing don't realize that changing the name would only compound the problem?
AceBandage
Banned
(02-20-2012, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by JJConrad

Why do all these people thinking that Nintendo should change the Wii U's name because it might be confusing don't realize that changing the name would only compound the problem?

In what way?
The vast majority of people that are going to buy the system don't even know it exists yet.
And the people that do, would know about the name change within days.
z0m3le
(02-20-2012, 03:22 AM)

Originally Posted by bgassassin

There's a difference in having a base where the CPU is based on an existing line of their processors, which is what normally happens, and a base where they already started making something for consoles before getting any input from what the console makers might want. The latter doesn't happen nor needs to since the console CPU is going to be based on existing architecture. That's an unnecessary cost to start something in general and then modify when you can just modify or build something based on what you already have. And I couldn't disagree more with Nintendo not doing much customization to the CPU. All signs point to the CPU being based on POWER7. That chip itself is too big and hot for a console. They are either going to heavily modify it to work in that case, or what is most likely to happen is build something from the ground up based on POWER7 since the POWER7 CPU is only made with eight cores.

It's not just about lowering clocks as I expect Nintendo to be picky about the clock speeds to the point where I see them sticking with multiples like with GC/Wii. And considering the heat the GPU puts out, I'd see them focusing on much lower clocks.

And the reason why I said you can't ignore the RAM's power draw is because you have to look at the console's total TDP so it still has to be factored in.

Actually the 360 wasn't quite like that. It used unified shaders, but apparently was not VLIW-based like future ATi GPUs. So from what I recall that wasn't based on anything in existence. With Wii U's GPU, I doubt it starts from those two unless when you say 6700 you mean Barts instead of Juniper since they could have just put a Juniper in the dev kit if that were the case. But referring back to Xenos, it's not guaranteed that Wii U's GPU will be VLIW-based either essentially eliminating all Radeon lines from consideration. AMD said themselves that VLIW5 saw poorer utilization once DX10 came into existence. We could very well see something not VLIW-based with the GPU to overcome that issue.

IMO 40nm or 28nm makes the most sense if you are looking at it from a PC perspective. This isn't something with interchangeable components so it doesn't have to have those "standard" processes. At the same time using TSMC doesn't sound like a Nintendo move for the reason I mentioned before. That to me would have played into why they used NEC the last two gens to make their GPUs. As for your argument against using 32nm, I think it really underestimates AMD's capabilities. If they haven't done it before and in turn couldn't do it now, then I would question their ability as a processor maker. At the same time while looking up to see how old the 32nm process is, it is also considered in the "mainline" of process shrinks while 28nm isn't. 32nm is a more mature process than 28nm and still gets them the benefits of a much cooler GPU compared to the 55nm GPU in the dev kit.

But you are right though. In then end it will be powerful and won't blow up your house.

I find it funny that you and I are arguing the CPU and GPU side completely opposite, you think the CPU will be based on Power7 but think the GPU won't be based on anything, you also believe that they will create a brand new gpu process (a tick and tock in one cycle) where you have new architecture going into a new process for AMD GPUs at least, usually they wouldn't touch a new process without extending their existing architecture, GPUs are very complicated after all, and can have major problems if they take a chance like that.

I think you could be right about everything, but I think it's more likely they will use a 40nm or a 28nm, if they used a 32nm, it will be HD4000-HD6000 based, shrunk into 32nm, but it would be more expensive than using HD7000 at 28nm, so either it will be a new architecture at 40nm, or something more a long the lines that I am saying, and 360 is R500, it's part of AMD's GPU architecture, it fits in between HD1800-HD2900 it's highly customized and HD2000 series which i believe is R520 was highly based on the advances we saw with it. Also VILW5 was not used as much in Dx10 because people weren't coding for 5 threads anymore, so 20% of the gpu was hardly ever used.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/a...deon-hd-6950/4
there is an excellent review that talks about why they went VILW4.

I think that there is little chance AMD and Nintendo will come up with a brand new architecture, about the only reason they would is because ArtX former employees have some sort of design, but I think their time would be better spent customizing a HD6000 or HD7000 chip, now you could be right with AMD shrinking an HD6000 design down to 32nm, but it would be better for them to shrink it down to 28nm, if we are talking about 6 months from now, I doubt TSMC's problems will be a big deal at that time.