• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 06:28 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvaTType01

So I stumbled into Vanguard, since none of my friends picked it yet, tried Charge, nova and warp. Kept dying, using warp wrong, "Charge" into frontlines haha yeah if i want death! We were doing silver at the time....then i noticed at the upgrade screen it replensihes shield....So i had an idea, equip only a hangun, increase everything power related, and have +200 power recharge rate, I spammed the whole thing the entire session....apparently, this pissed off one of my buddies and said it was so broken, he's not getting the game anymore becuase of this mechanic....i was sad ofc to lose a viable member for co-op, funny thing is I didnt want to play as this class, im more engineer.....argh.

Is this really a broken mechanic?

Although I tend to be the points leader in most of the games I play I don't believe its broken (plus I tend to attribute that to my own personal ultra-aggressive style of play). It's incredibly high risk and if you use it to charge willy nilly all over the place you WILL get creamed by turrets/atlas/phantoms (if you don't spot them first). Add to that the fact that you need a target to use it and it becomes, just like most other techniques, highly skill dependent.

In my experience, the Asari Adept in capable hands is able to comfortably outpace the Vanguard in terms of sheer production.
rozay
Banned
(02-21-2012, 06:38 PM)
rozay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

Dear ME3 MP players:


Use your god damn rockets on the Atlas. Everyone and their mothers know we can take it down with bullets but the extra credits for taking 1/10th of the time is much more worth it.

Thank you.

I only use rockets if they're a target for one of the objective missions or at the extraction phase, otherwise warp bombs/nova all day.

Do you actually get extra credits/exp if the completion time is low?
Calvinpewpewpew
Junior Member
(02-21-2012, 06:45 PM)
Calvinpewpewpew's Avatar

Originally Posted by cleveridea

is it me or is tech armor almost worthless?

in ME2 techarmor maxed you got effectively +125% shields (+75% then another 50% on shields destroyed) with no downside to having armor on

in ME3, looks like it maxes out at 40% damage resistance with the right upgrades (sacrifing the recharge boost)

OK, by itself not as good as ME2 in total but not bad,

BUT

There is a penalty to power recharge time of 80% of having the armor on! That just seems way too high a price to me, for just 40% damage protection.

Alternatively, you can have 10% less damage protection for 30% power recharge times bonus (effective 50% power recharge penalty).

That doesnt seem like a good tradeoff to me. The damage boost ability of +20% damage seems pointless if you have an 80% or 50% recharge speed penalty as you reduce your damage output with armor on.

You do get the benefit of damage resistance but I would think a sentinel would always want to be using powers as often as possible, given that classes like soldier have more weapon appropriate abilities when using guns.

Am I missing something here?

I have been thinking about this a lot actually, as I was/am a diehard Sentinel player in ME2 (I think it is far and away the best class in the game). Obviously coming into this demo I wanted to feel the same way. I've played about 10 hours of coop on PS3, 6 on 360, and 2 on PC.

I don't feel the same way.

Right now the Sentinel for me is the second weakest class in multiplayer and the most disappointing (even though I still enjoy playing it) just ahead of the Infiltrator (side note here: I realize the Infiltrator is actually a very powerful class and can do ridiculous damage, but I simply don't like or enjoy the mechanics).

Tech Armor, in particular, has been unbelievably nerfed. It gets essentially a free "cast" when you first charge the shield, but the overall damage reduction is vastly inferior. The pulse, even fully upgraded, from "Activating" the armor, is laughable and almost useless against armored/shield/barrier enemies on silver and gold-and I have yet to even get a single kill on an unarmored opponent on bronze with it. Activating it then triggers a 7 second plus cooldown!

The language of the 80% penalty is a little obtuse to me; it's not clear if it slows your powers down from a base of 100% to 80% (this is what I think it does) or actually slows them down a full 80% (which would be even more absurd).

Looking at the human sentinel for example, I get Cryo Blast (useful, but only situationally), warp (very powerful upgraded, longish cooldown, not much damage against shields) and a basically useless primary ability in Tech Armor (The turian sentinel has overload instead of Cryo Blast, which is a huge upgrade for silver/gold, but still).

Just compare the primary power full upgraded of the other classes (I can't find an article that breaks them all down, unfortunately) but it is substantially worse than fully upgraded singularity, adrenaline rush, carnage, combat drone, tactical cloak, or charge. The only one I can think of that is worse is the engineer turret that the Quarian gets.

After leveling nearly every class in the game to the teens, I just cannot see any role the Sentinel does better than any other class, while in ME2 (of course from a SP perspective) the Sentinel did nearly everything the non-hybrid classes did, better. I would rather play an adept to have full biotics, an engineer for pure tech, a soldier for damage mitigation. I truly don't see where the Sentinel fits in besides having the most badass heavy melee in the game with dual omni blades.

I went from knowing my level 30 sentinel import would be my first SP playthrough to seriously doubting it.
EvaTType01
Junior Member
(02-21-2012, 06:47 PM)
EvaTType01's Avatar

Originally Posted by walbertsmith

Although I tend to be the points leader in most of the games I play I don't believe its broken (plus I tend to attribute that to my own personal ultra-aggressive style of play). It's incredibly high risk and if you use it to charge willy nilly all over the place you WILL get creamed by turrets/atlas/phantoms (if you don't spot them first). Add to that the fact that you need a target to use it and it becomes, just like most other techniques, highly skill dependent.

In my experience, the Asari Adept in capable hands is able to comfortably outpace the Vanguard in terms of sheer production.

Yeah, i tried talking sense to him, even though i can tank the atlas with my setup, no way in heck I can kill the dam thing wihout help. Turrents will defnitely own my build, but alas he wont listen to reason, i just gave up on him. Glad its not the common setup everyone uses to spam things all day.

Originally Posted by rozay

I only use rockets if they're a target for one of the objective missions or at the extraction phase, otherwise warp bombs/nova all day.

Do you actually get extra credits/exp if the completion time is low?

also, the weakness of the atlas is from behind, near the thruster. a Vanguard or an engineer with drone can make the Atlas turn around so everybody can damage it faster. I dont think you get any bonuses for completeing the entire session early. Every XP gain breakdown is there at the result screen.
Croc
Member
(02-21-2012, 06:53 PM)
Croc's Avatar

Originally Posted by GSR

If I'm not mistaken they've also confirmed Husks/Reaper enemies and Geth as enemy factions in the full version. I don't know about more races though; it wouldn't surprise me if they were DLC down the line, though I'm not sure how much of a market there is to play as a Batarian or Vorcha.

Hmm okay, cool. Can't wait to see how those play.

Ugh hopefully races won't be DLC, but nowadays you never know with that stuff.
rozay
Banned
(02-21-2012, 06:55 PM)
rozay's Avatar
What's a good drell vanguard build? Charge and pull definitely, but should I bother with the grenades?
Stantron
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:06 PM)
Stantron's Avatar

Originally Posted by rozay

What's a good drell vanguard build? Charge and pull definitely, but should I bother with the grenades?

Hell yeah. Cluster grenades can do big damage to groups of enemies. I went with radius and spare grenade upgrades. Forgot what the third one is.
You'll need to spend more time constantly refilling at ammo crates though. And keep in mind that they refill at a slower rate at higher difficulties.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:17 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by rozay

What's a good drell vanguard build? Charge and pull definitely, but should I bother with the grenades?

I wouldn't put more points into Charge than the first two levels (to get 25% faster cooldown) honestly. It's my personal style, but I play the Drell Vanguard entirely unorthodox... ie, as a long range character than the standard in-your-face Vanguard.

Max Pull and Grenades first (with those 2 levels in Charge mixed in), then go from there depending on your playstyle. Instead of a shotgun, go with an assault rifle or AR/sniper combo. At max pull your cooldown is insanely fast even with 2 weapons and maxing grenades (I went with extra shrapnel and an extra grenade) means you can clear out groups quickly at range.

The main reason I don't make Charge a priority is because it puts you at a very close range. Both Pull and Grenades are better at a distance, the drell's mobility is minimized up close and your shields are a joke compared to the human version. Everything about the drell screams range, so I think it's best to build towards that.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:19 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar
Had a really good group when I was playing this morning. We cleared silver several times, as well as getting to wave 10 and dying a few times as well with some particularly hard waves, usually with objectives involved.

My infiltrator is level 19, and the cloak is one of the more broken things; it's so good.

Also finally unlocked the Krogan warrior, but I didn't get a chance to play with him since we all needed decently leveled characters to take on silver. The team was most often two engineers and two infiltrators. More diversity might be better, but what we had worked surprisingly well. At least 3 of us were always carrying a sniper rifle.
Stantron
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:23 PM)
Stantron's Avatar
Yup, agree with walbertsmith. I rock only the Viper III with my Drell Van. I would also not waste points on melee upgrades. Put it to shields/health instead.
BTW, what exactly does extra shrapnel do? I assume more damage, but it did not give a good description.
X-Frame
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:25 PM)
X-Frame's Avatar
I am really disappointed with what they did to the Sentinel as well. All the other classes got slight boosts or tweaks but the Sentinel's bread and butter Tech Armor was changed entirely! Why? What was the reason for that? I don't get why they changed how the Tech Armor operated.
rozay
Banned
(02-21-2012, 07:29 PM)
rozay's Avatar

Originally Posted by walbertsmith

I wouldn't put more points into Charge than the first two levels (to get 25% faster cooldown) honestly. It's my personal style, but I play the Drell Vanguard entirely unorthodox... ie, as a long range character than the standard in-your-face Vanguard.

Max Pull and Grenades first (with those 2 levels in Charge mixed in), then go from there depending on your playstyle. Instead of a shotgun, go with an assault rifle or AR/sniper combo. At max pull your cooldown is insanely fast even with 2 weapons and maxing grenades (I went with extra shrapnel and an extra grenade) means you can clear out groups quickly at range.

The main reason I don't make Charge a priority is because it puts you at a very close range. Both Pull and Grenades are better at a distance, the drell's mobility is minimized up close and your shields are a joke compared to the human version. Everything about the drell screams range, so I think it's best to build towards that.

I'll probably wait till I unlock a viper before playing the class then. Thanks!
Calvinpewpewpew
Junior Member
(02-21-2012, 07:31 PM)
Calvinpewpewpew's Avatar

Originally Posted by X-Frame

I am really disappointed with what they did to the Sentinel as well. All the other classes got slight boosts or tweaks but the Sentinel's bread and butter Tech Armor was changed entirely! Why? What was the reason for that? I don't get why they changed how the Tech Armor operated.

Not just changed, nerfed to oblivion; a 60%+ decrease in extra shield/damage reduction, the complete elimination of the squad reset function from the assault armor branch (Best skill in ME2 IMO), and a useless pulse/detonation.
Mindlog
(02-21-2012, 07:34 PM)
Mindlog's Avatar
In single player setting up throw bombs will be much easier for the sentinel.
In multi player the Turian Sentinel gets an AR and extremely fast overloads. It's pretty slick.

Tech Armor could probably use a buff. Are any Krogans bothering with fortification purges?
Last edited by Mindlog; 02-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:35 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stantron

Yup, agree with walbertsmith. I rock only the Viper III with my Drell Van. I would also not waste points on melee upgrades. Put it to shields/health instead.
BTW, what exactly does extra shrapnel do? I assume more damage, but it did not give a good description.

I haven't been able to test it extensively but it appears to give a bigger blast radius. I've been curious as to the exact benefits myself actually.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(02-21-2012, 07:37 PM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calvinpewpewpew

Right now the Sentinel for me is the second weakest class in multiplayer and the most disappointing (even though I still enjoy playing it) just ahead of the Infiltrator (side note here: I realize the Infiltrator is actually a very powerful class and can do ridiculous damage, but I simply don't like or enjoy the mechanics).

The infiltrator is miles ahead of human soldier. Which infiltrator mechanics are you talking about? There are so many different ways to play it. I alternate between a couple styles myself:

1. Shotgun, melee, stealth assassin. I run around invisible headshotting everything at close range. I throw in a melee kill here and there just to mix it up.

2. Semi-auto sniper rifle + stealth damage boost. I just sit back and kill everything from range. Don't even need headshots.

Once I max out the character going to see how bad invis cooldown is carrying both shottie and sniper. If it isn't too bad I can mix both playstyles.

What I like best about the infiltrator is that it is easy to finish a round all by yourself if everybody else dies. Being able to revive from stealth makes that less likely to happen, but still nice.
X-Frame
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:42 PM)
X-Frame's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindlog

In single player setting up throw bombs will be much easier for the sentinel.
In multi player the Turian Sentinel get's an AR and extremely fast overloads. It's pretty slick.

Tech Armor could probably use a buff. Are any Krogans bothering with fortification purges?

When I go on a melee frenzy and I'm not in imminent danger I will purge my armor for the melee damage bonuses and then re-activate it a little bit after the power cool down stops. You can just do it rinse and repeat and alternate completely between increased melee and increased damage reduction too. I do that when taking on Atlas's.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(02-21-2012, 07:54 PM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindlog

In single player setting up throw bombs will be much easier for the sentinel.
In multi player the Turian Sentinel get's an AR and extremely fast overloads. It's pretty slick.

Tech Armor could probably use a buff. Are any Krogans bothering with fortification purges?

Turian Sentinel is a beast. Increased accuracy, overload and warp make it far better than the Engineer for one shoting enemies. Warp is faster than incinerate so theres less chance of missing and the accuracy bonus is great for using hand guns. I just run around with a modded Carnifex and zap people with overload and pop them in the head. Im constantly in the top spot of the squad, with easily 50+ kills, 25+ assists, 25+ headshots and 10+ tech kills.
Calvinpewpewpew
Junior Member
(02-21-2012, 07:54 PM)
Calvinpewpewpew's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woo-Fu

The infiltrator is miles ahead of human soldier. Which infiltrator mechanics are you talking about? There are so many different ways to play it. I alternate between a couple styles myself:

1. Shotgun, melee, stealth assassin. I run around invisible headshotting everything at close range. I throw in a melee kill here and there just to mix it up.

2. Semi-auto sniper rifle + stealth damage boost. I just sit back and kill everything from range. Don't even need headshots.

Once I max out the character going to see how bad invis cooldown is carrying both shottie and sniper. If it isn't too bad I can mix both playstyles.

What I like best about the infiltrator is that it is easy to finish a round all by yourself if everybody else dies. Being able to revive from stealth makes that less likely to happen, but still nice.

It's purely a holdover of my not enjoying the stealth mechanic from ME2. I have a level 13 I think Infiltrator in the coop demo who is an invisible shotgun-raconteur of death...I just can't seem to get past my old bias. Objectively, I think it's one of the strongest classes in the game.

So far (and keep in mind I have gotten colossally unlucky with veteran package unlocks and never get a Salarian infiltrator, etc) my rankings would be:

1. Krogan Warrior
2. Any Vanguard
3a. Any fully upgraded engineer.
3b. Any fully upgraded infiltrator.
3c. Adept (primarily with only pistol)
5. Sentinel
KKRT00
Member
(02-21-2012, 07:57 PM)
KKRT00's Avatar
OMFG, Infiltrator cloak is so OP with ability to use powers without breaking it. There is info that You can use one power, but in reality You can use as many You can till the cloak expires :)

Spamming shield drain and proximity mines with Salarian is so great, its also awesome for killing phantoms and nemesis, because You can drain their shields/barrier and then end with sniper headshot in cloak :)
Calvinpewpewpew
Junior Member
(02-21-2012, 07:57 PM)
Calvinpewpewpew's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enduin

Turian Sentinel is a beast. Increased accuracy, overload and warp make it far better than the Engineer for one shoting enemies. Warp is faster than incinerate so theres less chance of missing and the accuracy bonus is great for using hand guns. I just run around with a modded Carnifex and zap people with overload and pop them in the head. Im constantly in the top spot of the squad, with easily 50+ kills, 25+ assists, 25+ headshots and 10+ tech kills.

A fully upgraded engineer can do the exact same damage to shields/organics with an upgraded overload (and if using pistol only), fire of a fully upgraded incinerate that does either massive damage and causes panic, or becomes an area fire bomb all faster than an overload+warp combo (even with pistol only Turian sentinel). My combat drone can do significant damage and draw fire as well, and a scoped Carnifex with +dmg boost can just as easily get me one shot kills. The Sentinel just has less utility.
excaliburps
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:02 PM)
excaliburps's Avatar
Ok, just tried the Vanguard now and reached level 6 with it. Got a couple of questions tho that I hope Gaf can help me with.

Is Shockwave even needed? I put one point in it but have yet to use it. I use charge and Nova. Speaking of which, after charging, I pump the enemy full of shotgun rounds, is there a way to spice it up a bit?

Coming from the Infiltrator, I find that using the Vanguard is more in your face but that puts me at a disadvantage if the fight is from a distance. What's the best weapon/power combo from anyone here using the class?

Is it better to bring an Assault Rifle? Go just shotgun or pistol so powers recharge? I think I know why some people say the class can go one on one with an Atlas. Charge, wait for cooldown, charge again, rinse and repeat, yes?

Enemy that's giving me the most trouble is the Guardian. Stupid shield motherfuckers! One thing I did notice was Nemesis and Phantoms are a bit easier to kill with the Vanguard. Go in close, Nova, melee or shotgun.

Thoughts? What can I do to make it so I don't get creamed when my powers are cooling down? Also, put in points for shockwave?
Metalmurphy
Banned
(02-21-2012, 08:11 PM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar

Originally Posted by excaliburps

Ok, just tried the Vanguard now and reached level 6 with it. Got a couple of questions tho that I hope Gaf can help me with.

Is Shockwave even needed? I put one point in it but have yet to use it. I use charge and Nova. Speaking of which, after charging, I pump the enemy full of shotgun rounds, is there a way to spice it up a bit?

Yes. It knocks back shield enemies long enough for you to shoot them down. Also if you have a fast recharge time you can basically just spam it alot to knock all enemies constantly.

Originally Posted by excaliburps

Coming from the Infiltrator, I find that using the Vanguard is more in your face but that puts me at a disadvantage if the fight is from a distance. What's the best weapon/power combo from anyone here using the class?

I use a Heavy Pistol and Sniper and the recharge time is pretty good. I stay long range, and when I need to go close range I use the Charge and Nova combo if theres few enemies, or just Charge + Shockwave.


Originally Posted by excaliburps

Is it better to bring an Assault Rifle? Go just shotgun or pistol so powers recharge? I think I know why some people say the class can go one on one with an Atlas. Charge, wait for cooldown, charge again, rinse and repeat, yes?

Enemy that's giving me the most trouble is the Guardian. Stupid shield motherfuckers! One thing I did notice was Nemesis and Phantoms are a bit easier to kill with the Vanguard. Go in close, Nova, melee or shotgun.

I first started using a shotgun but I think it's a mistake, it increases your recharge time way too much.



Originally Posted by rozay

I only use rockets if they're a target for one of the objective missions or at the extraction phase, otherwise warp bombs/nova all day.

Do you actually get extra credits/exp if the completion time is low?

Yes, as well as bonus depending on time after each wave finishes.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:14 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by excaliburps

Ok, just tried the Vanguard now and reached level 6 with it. Got a couple of questions tho that I hope Gaf can help me with.

Is Shockwave even needed? I put one point in it but have yet to use it. I use charge and Nova. Speaking of which, after charging, I pump the enemy full of shotgun rounds, is there a way to spice it up a bit?

Coming from the Infiltrator, I find that using the Vanguard is more in your face but that puts me at a disadvantage if the fight is from a distance. What's the best weapon/power combo from anyone here using the class?

Is it better to bring an Assault Rifle? Go just shotgun or pistol so powers recharge? I think I know why some people say the class can go one on one with an Atlas. Charge, wait for cooldown, charge again, rinse and repeat, yes?

Enemy that's giving me the most trouble is the Guardian. Stupid shield motherfuckers! One thing I did notice was Nemesis and Phantoms are a bit easier to kill with the Vanguard. Go in close, Nova, melee or shotgun.

Thoughts? What can I do to make it so I don't get creamed when my powers are cooling down? Also, put in points for shockwave?

For most of your questions, check my post from the previous page (in other words, you don't even need shockwave):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1164

For Atlas, the class can definitely go one on one, but, as expected, it can be tricky. The key is to use dual novas in between charges but staying far enough away to not get hit by its auto-kill attack. Mix in shotgun blasts to the face when waiting for cooldowns and you're set.

As far as the Guardian, Charge to stagger them then immediately hold LT (for 360) to bring up your sights to target the head. Boom! Headshot. If you miss, you have an extremely small window to get a second shot to try and finish him off. If not, roll backwards then side to side till your cooldown is back. You can also use Nova to stagger him, but the benefit of getting used to Charging him is that when you come out of Charge you're always at a consistent distance. As long as there is no elevation involved, it will become second nature how far to move your sticks/mouse to aim at his head for the headshot. If you shockwave or nova then you will be at varying distances so it'll be easier to miss.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:15 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

I use a Heavy Pistol and Sniper and the recharge time is pretty good. I stay long range, and when I need to go close range I use the Charge and Nova combo if theres few enemies, or just Charge + Shockwave.


I first started using a shotgun but I think it's a mistake, it increases your recharge time way too much.

Or use only a shotgun and have around +100% recharge time.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:19 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar
Sorry for the spam, but someone on reddit posted a pretty solid multiplayer guide:

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/c...iplayer_guide/
Metalmurphy
Banned
(02-21-2012, 08:20 PM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar
And miss all the headshots from a distance? Nah.

On the PC is pretty easy to even kill enemies from the tiny whole on the riot shield.


Originally Posted by walbertsmith

Sorry for the spam,

There's an edit button.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:24 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

And miss all the headshots from a distance? Nah.

On the PC is pretty easy to even kill enemies from the tiny whole on the riot shield.



There's an edit button.

Then you're wasting your Charge/Nova skills when you're plinking away with a sniper rifle. Barring turrets, taking on mobs of 4-5 is no sweat in Bronze and is doable (although much more difficult) in silver/gold. Why invest in massively powerful close range skills if your choice in weapons don't have the same synergy?

The sniper rifle is a much better choice for the drell vanguard, where the combination of pull, grenades, speed and weak shields all benefit ranged combat.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(02-21-2012, 08:24 PM)
Woo-Fu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

I first started using a shotgun but I think it's a mistake, it increases your recharge time way too much.

Using shotgun on drell vanguard the travel time of the projectile was longer than the cooldown, allowing me to spam pull indefinitely. Charge cooldown wasn't a big deal because I use it for shield recharge/killing blow on last in group.


Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

And miss all the headshots from a distance? Nah.

On the PC is pretty easy to even kill enemies from the tiny whole on the riot shield.

What are you talking about? Headshots are *easier* with a shotgun because you don't even have to aim that well, even at a distance. Basically draw a box whose base is around mid-chest and whose sides are the outside of the shoulders and extend it up to a few inches above the target's head, aim anywhere in there and if you kill him it'll be a headshot with shotgun. It seems like as long as one pellet/slug/flechette(whatever they are in me3) hits on the head it doesn't matter where the rest go, it counts as a headshot for shotgun.
Last edited by Woo-Fu; 02-21-2012 at 08:29 PM.
jgminto
Buttocks unclenched.
Now fill me in.
(02-21-2012, 08:25 PM)
jgminto's Avatar
The really should have made the revive/activate terminal set you in one place while you're doing it.

A story that I've seen all too often: Squad member gets downed, team mate goes to revive him. Starts the revive. Accidentally bumps the stick. Cancels the revive. Squad member dies.

I've lost many a soldier to those damn stick drifts. But if they made it A to cancel then there wouldn't be a problem.
rozay
Banned
(02-21-2012, 08:26 PM)
rozay's Avatar

Originally Posted by excaliburps

Ok, just tried the Vanguard now and reached level 6 with it. Got a couple of questions tho that I hope Gaf can help me with.

Is Shockwave even needed? I put one point in it but have yet to use it. I use charge and Nova. Speaking of which, after charging, I pump the enemy full of shotgun rounds, is there a way to spice it up a bit?

Coming from the Infiltrator, I find that using the Vanguard is more in your face but that puts me at a disadvantage if the fight is from a distance. What's the best weapon/power combo from anyone here using the class?

Is it better to bring an Assault Rifle? Go just shotgun or pistol so powers recharge? I think I know why some people say the class can go one on one with an Atlas. Charge, wait for cooldown, charge again, rinse and repeat, yes?

Enemy that's giving me the most trouble is the Guardian. Stupid shield motherfuckers! One thing I did notice was Nemesis and Phantoms are a bit easier to kill with the Vanguard. Go in close, Nova, melee or shotgun.

Thoughts? What can I do to make it so I don't get creamed when my powers are cooling down? Also, put in points for shockwave?

When I first started on bronze I used only the avenger since I couldn't do shit at early levels, then switched to only a scoped Phalnax to be able to take out long distance enemies fairly well and it actually is somewhat effective for killing enemies after charging in.

Once I had charge and nova maxed and decent points in fitness and training, I decided to try a shotgun and I've settled on the Scimitar with a level 5 smart choke, it actually helps the accuracy when shooting at far away targets and it has enough power to take enemies out with headshots. Katana does more damage but I'm not amazing with my aim so the scimitar fits my playstyle better, and the claymore seems like a bad idea now that it doesn't have the reload glitch. As far as shooting in the distance for the extraction phase, you'll have to chill out on charging around unless you want to risk pissing off your teammates when they lose the full extraction bonus. The smart choke mod helps a LOT though.

Charge into guardians and shoot them in the head while they're vulnerable directly afterwards. You're also invulnerable during the nova animation and the charging animation, so if you get the nova upgrade that only depletes 50% of your barrier, that will take up a significant amount of time during your charge cooldown. Otherwise, get comfortable running and rolling if you really need to, but as long as you have an enemy you can target in a sticky situation, it's hard to die.

Unless you're next to a turret :P
Metalmurphy
Banned
(02-21-2012, 08:33 PM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Woo-Fu

What are you talking about? Headshots are *easier* with a shotgun because you don't even have to aim that well, even at a distance. Basically draw a box whose base is around mid-chest and whose sides are the outside of the shoulders and extend it up to a few inches above the target's head, aim anywhere in there and if you kill him it'll be a headshot with shotgun. It seems like as long as one pellet/slug/flechette(whatever they are in me3) hits on the head it doesn't matter where the rest go, it counts as a headshot for shotgun.

What? Headshots with a shotgun from a distance? What shotgun is this?

When I say distance I don't mean 5 feet. I mean like 50. For example, in Firebase, from the ammo crate near the stairs to the start point where lots of enemies spawn. There's like 4 different spawns there.

Then aim towards the stairs and there's more spawns there.


Originally Posted by walbertsmith

Then you're wasting your Charge/Nova skills when you're plinking away with a sniper rifle. Barring turrets, taking on mobs of 4-5 is no sweat in Bronze and is doable (although much more difficult) in silver/gold. Why invest in massively powerful close range skills if your choice in weapons don't have the same synergy?

No I'm not, I still use them when they need to be used. But if there's several enemies at a distance i'm not gonna charge there, I'll just snipe them. I don't play in Bronze btw.
Last edited by Metalmurphy; 02-21-2012 at 08:36 PM.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:42 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy



No I'm not, I still use them when they need to be used. But if there's several enemies at a distance i'm not gonna charge there, I'll just snipe them. I don't play in Bronze btw.

Right, neither do I. Like I said, those mobs are still manageable in silver/gold but you need to take more care and keep a closer eye on your barriers. Still doesn't change the fact that your entire build does not have synergy with your weapon choice. Using a drell with a sniper rifle means you can deal with that mob of enemies with all your skills AND your weapon, not just your weapon.
Metalmurphy
Banned
(02-21-2012, 08:44 PM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar
I'm actually using a Human Vanguard not a Drell.
walbertsmith
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:50 PM)
walbertsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

I'm actually using a Human Vanguard not a Drell.

Yes, I know this. The reason I bring up the drell is because of your insistence on equipping your Vanguard with a sniper rifle.

My point is instead of being marginally effective at close and long ranges with a human Vanguard/sniper rifle, it's better to be extremely effective at *either* close (human) or long (drell) range.

Yes, this is your preferred playstyle and all that, I understand that. However, if you want to be at maximum effectiveness at all times it behooves you to reconcile your weapon choice with your build.
Nils
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:55 PM)
Nils's Avatar
Will any of this carry over to the full game? Like just some exp bonuses or whatever? I'm having a lot of fun but I'm afraid I'll be bored of it by the time the game actually releases upon which I'll be further pissed I lost all my cool gear/characters etc.
ultron87
Member
(02-21-2012, 08:55 PM)
ultron87's Avatar
Argh, I want a Salarian Infiltrator so bad. Cryo Blast is so useless most of the time.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(02-21-2012, 08:57 PM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nils

Will any of this carry over to the full game? Like just some exp bonuses or whatever? I'm having a lot of fun but I'm afraid I'll be bored of it by the time the game actually releases upon which I'll be further pissed I lost all my cool gear/characters etc.

Nothing carries over and no mention has been made of bonuses of any kind. But I wouldnt worry about getting burnt out. Theres likely to be 10+ maps and at least 2 other enemy types to fight. So there will be a lot more variety to the MP in the full game.
TangoAlphaLima
Member
(02-21-2012, 09:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Enduin

Nothing carries over and no mention has been made of bonuses of any kind. But I wouldnt worry about getting burnt out. Theres likely to be 10+ maps and at least 2 other enemy types to fight. So there will be a lot more variety to the MP in the full game.

My problem isn't that I'll get burnt out on it, it's that I can't carry anything over, so my time is somewhat wasted playing the demo. Wish they would have simply allowed for some stuff to transfer, seems like an odd omission.
Zen
Banned
(02-21-2012, 09:06 PM)
Will there be different modes? Or is everything literally going to be wave assault against AI with extremely simple objectives thrown in? I have no problem if all modes are just against AI, but only horde mode seems very limited.
Nils
Member
(02-21-2012, 09:06 PM)
Nils's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enduin

Nothing carries over and no mention has been made of bonuses of any kind. But I wouldnt worry about getting burnt out. Theres likely to be 10+ maps and at least 2 other enemy types to fight. So there will be a lot more variety to the MP in the full game.

I really lucked out getting the Widow Sniper early this time around, so it would be awesome if they let you import just one item.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(02-21-2012, 09:18 PM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima

My problem isn't that I'll get burnt out on it, it's that I can't carry anything over, so my time is somewhat wasted playing the demo. Wish they would have simply allowed for some stuff to transfer, seems like an odd omission.

Nearly every game does this when they have demos like this. They dont want to release a game and have people start out fresh to only find theyre getting sidelined in combat because theres a bunch of carry over players with top level characters and some of the best loot.

Its easier on the whole to just start fresh, especially if theyve tweaked the stats on things, reduced or increased some items damage and speed or made some alterations to the rarity of certain items based on demo feedback. They may have found certain items or class tactics are easily exploitable and theyve altered some numbers and made them a little rarer, but that doesnt help if a shit ton of demo players still have it all unlocked at the start of the game and can dominate the multiplayer scene.
CrazedArabMan
member
(02-21-2012, 09:24 PM)
CrazedArabMan's Avatar
So I have no clue with all of the ME3 threads on where to put this so I'll just throw this here, but I was browsing the Xbox marketplace on my PC and it looks like they have DLC already up for the game, kinda spoilerish for a character though:

Edit: SPOILER WARNING IN CAPITAL LETTERS FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T READ WHAT I JUST POSTED:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...don&noSplash=1
Last edited by CrazedArabMan; 02-21-2012 at 09:29 PM.
rozay
Banned
(02-21-2012, 09:28 PM)
rozay's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrazedArabMan

So I have no clue with all of the ME3 threads on where to put this so I'll just throw this here, but I was browsing the Xbox marketplace on my PC and it looks like they have DLC already up for the game, kinda spoilerish for a character though:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...don&noSplash=1

Holy shit haha they just say who it is straight up, don't click the link or look at the picture there! If origin hadn't spilled the beans last year I would be sad.

I really wonder why this is DLC though. Sounds like something important in the storyline -_-

Originally Posted by Guesong

Probably the "additional character and mission" that Collector Editions gets.

yes it is
Last edited by rozay; 02-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Guesong
Member
(02-21-2012, 09:29 PM)
Guesong's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrazedArabMan

So I have no clue with all of the ME3 threads on where to put this so I'll just throw this here, but I was browsing the Xbox marketplace on my PC and it looks like they have DLC already up for the game, kinda spoilerish for a character though:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...don&noSplash=1

Probably the "additional character and mission" that Collector Editions gets.
CrazedArabMan
member
(02-21-2012, 09:30 PM)
CrazedArabMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by rozay

Holy shit haha they just say who it is straight up, don't click the link or look at the picture there! If origin hadn't spilled the beans last year I would be sad.

I really wonder why this is DLC though.

I made the spoiler warning better for other people just to be sure.
TangoAlphaLima
Member
(02-21-2012, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Enduin

Nearly every game does this when they have demos like this. They dont want to release a game and have people start out fresh to only find theyre getting sidelined in combat because theres a bunch of carry over players with top level characters and some of the best loot.

Its easier on the whole to just start fresh, especially if theyve tweaked the stats on things, reduced or increased some items damage and speed or made some alterations to the rarity of certain items based on demo feedback. They may have found certain items or class tactics are easily exploitable and theyve altered some numbers and made them a little rarer, but that doesnt help if a shit ton of demo players still have it all unlocked at the start of the game and can dominate the multiplayer scene.

But this is co-op, not PVP. I don't see how carrying over the progress would imbalance things. And more importantly, it might convince people to buy the game because they know their multiplayer progress transfers. I don't think anyone will be sold on the game because multiplayer progress doesn't transfer.
Milly79
Member
(02-21-2012, 10:00 PM)
Milly79's Avatar
why is everyone hating on the sentinel? The Turian one is stacked. I just did a silver with random and much, much higher overall levels and decimated them in points by 15k for tops. You can basically spam overload all game which is super helpful. After that all you need is the Carnifex and the points will roll in. definitely my favorite class by far.
Mindlog
(02-21-2012, 10:51 PM)
Mindlog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Milly79

why is everyone hating on the sentinel? The Turian one is stacked. I just did a silver with random and much, much higher overall levels and decimated them in points by 15k for tops. You can basically spam overload all game which is super helpful. After that all you need is the Carnifex and the points will roll in. definitely my favorite class by far.

I also just won my first silver attempt with a Turian Sentinel. With the credits I unlocked an Asari Adept. Finally.

Before I start on that character one question. Do throw explosions expand stasis bubbles? I really like throw's instant reset.
Dork Knight
Member
(02-21-2012, 11:09 PM)
Dork Knight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindlog

I also just won my first silver attempt with a Turian Sentinel. With the credits I unlocked an Asari Adept. Finally.

Before I start on that character one question. Do throw explosions expand stasis bubbles? I really like throw's instant reset.

To piggy back on your question: Can someone explain how warp/throw detonations work? I assume you warp an enemy and then immediately cast throw?

Thread Tools