• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ClovingWestbrook
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:24 AM)
ClovingWestbrook's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Every other tablet or smartphone or laptop on the market already does this. I don't see how it's a selling point.

It definitely isn't a selling point but it adds functionality to the system.
antonz
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:24 AM)
antonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I really doubt they'll be able to say if it's for Wii U or not in Nintendo Power.

Dunno its possible since its about the right time for some major 3rd party to get their Red Steel moment.

Originally Posted by brochiller

What? Where did you find this?

The Nintendo that Go has a scan. They speculate its Rabbids related but the ears are Oswalds
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-22-2012, 12:26 AM)
Log4Girlz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Why were you even bringing up the Netflix example in the first place? I don't see the ladies flocking to the PS Vita when it's supposed to be capable of playing Netflix as well, and on a better screen to boot.

Its an added bullet point, not something to flock to a system for. I envision the console purchased by couples and having that ability will be a nice plus. Nobody cares about the vita.
herzogzwei1989
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:26 AM)
After playing Pilotwings Resort on 3DS, I sure hope that same developer works on a Wii U version.
IceDoesntHelp
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:27 AM)
IceDoesntHelp's Avatar

Originally Posted by brochiller

What? Where did you find this?

In the Nintendo Power issue

There will be no fooling around when it comes to our April issue. We'll have the final word of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles in our full reviews, and get an exclusive whiff of a top-secret title that promises to make your head spin

The "hint" is a yellow background with black curved lines sticking up from the bottom. I didn't think about it at first, but it does look like Oswalds ears.
Fourth Storm
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:27 AM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan

I hesitate to count this as a game-changing feature because it won't be viable for all (or even most) Wii U games. For example, any game that makes even minor use of the tablet controller as a secondary screen will not be able to also use the controller to function as the main screen at the same time. Sure, they could code the game to play differently if the upad is being used as the primary screen, but then you get into the issue of Nintendo expecting devs to do too much extra to support their hardware.

I don't believe we've gotten official word as to whether all games will support the game streaming feature, but I've heard nothing from Nintendo to suggest otherwise. As of now, I think we should assume that this is a central feature built into the console on an OS level. I just urge you not make your speculation sound too much like fact, because in this thread, someone will read it and take it as such.

It's my opinion that most multiplatform titles won't be using the Wii U tablet in a way that would need much alteration when played entirely on the tablet. If anything, indirect mouse look becomes direct touch (upgrade). Look at some of the other demos from last e3. Would it be that much of difference if the ninja star is on the same screen as the background, for example? And that's a more gimmicky utilization. HUDs, maps, hotkeys/gestures and all the other usual suggestions that we throw around on here are even less of an issue.

Some of the more fascinating uses of the controller, such as the "free look" mode, would be a different mode entirely, like Star Fox 64's motion control option or the 3D mode in SSFIV. So while you make a valid point that developers will have to think things out, I don't agree with you that TV-free gaming will be a limited feature only used in specific titles.
Last edited by Fourth Storm; 02-22-2012 at 12:30 AM.
brochiller
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:28 AM)
brochiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by antonz

The Nintendo that Go has a scan. They speculate its Rabbids related but the ears are Oswalds

Damn. That would be awesome if true.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(02-22-2012, 12:28 AM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I really doubt they'll be able to say if it's for Wii U or not in Nintendo Power.

I wouldn't bet on any mention of Wii U other than as a "we're only talking about the Wii version here" non-denial.

The NP teaser also says that the game in question "promises to make your head spin," which fits with previous leaks about Oswald having helicopter-ish flight powers.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-22-2012, 12:29 AM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I really doubt they'll be able to say if it's for Wii U or not in Nintendo Power.

But they're going to have to show screens for it, right? We should be able to easily tell if that's the case.

This is just another sign: the floodgates are starting to open...
AceBandage
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:29 AM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan

But they're going to have to show screens for it, right? We should be able to easily tell if that's the case.

This is just another sign: the floodgates are starting to open...

They'll show screens of the Wii version.
Anth0ny
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:30 AM)
Anth0ny's Avatar
I don't think it would be on Wii U. It would be nice, but I think Nintendo needs something for the Wii between now and... November when Wii U launches?

All I could think of is Mario Party 9 and Xenoblade.
antonz
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:32 AM)
antonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

I don't think it would be on Wii U. It would be nice, but I think Nintendo needs something for the Wii between now and... November when Wii U launches?

All I could think of is Mario Party 9 and Xenoblade.

Epic Mickey as far as I know is a fall 2012. At that point if they only have a Wii version its being sent to die by Disney
AceBandage
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:32 AM)
AceBandage's Avatar
It's Wii, 360 and PS3 as far as we know, with a rumored Wii U version.
blu
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:37 AM)
blu's Avatar

Originally Posted by herzogzwei1989

After playing Pilotwings Resort on 3DS, I sure hope that same developer works on a Wii U version.

EXCITE U believe (tm)
AceBandage
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:37 AM)
AceBandage's Avatar
Excite Boats
Fourth Storm
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:39 AM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Excite Boats

Anyone else remember the original concept for Wave Race?
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-22-2012, 12:40 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan


I hesitate to count this as a game-changing feature because it won't be viable for all (or even most) Wii U games. For example, any game that makes even minor use of the tablet controller as a secondary screen will not be able to also use the controller to function as the main screen at the same time. Sure, they could code the game to play differently if the upad is being used as the primary screen, but then you get into the issue of Nintendo expecting devs to do too much extra to support their hardware.

I disagree with this.

All you'd have to do is make it so the player could pause the game and have access to that screen. It would be a little more cumbersome, but no different than what we have today in games like Zelda.
fernoca
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:40 AM)
fernoca's Avatar

Originally Posted by herzogzwei1989

After playing Pilotwings Resort on 3DS, I sure hope that same developer works on a Wii U version.

Monster Games?
They had ExciteTruck ready for launch, and I doubt the entire team worked on Pilotwings Resort, so they (at least) must be doing something...exciting maybe? :p
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-22-2012, 12:41 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by fernoca

Monster Games?
They had ExciteTruck ready for launch, and I doubt the entire team worked on Pilotwings Resort, so they (at least) must be doing something...exciting maybe? :p

If I were a gambling man I'd put money down on Monster doing Wave Race or F-Zero at launch. It has to be happening.
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-22-2012, 12:41 AM)
Log4Girlz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fourth Storm

Anyone else remember the original concept for Wave Race?

Was trying to look up the video on youtube just now hahaha.
Mlatador
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:42 AM)
Mlatador's Avatar
I hope the Wii U still gets lots of motion gaming support. The sophisticated gamer in me (essentially all me) would be very happy.

I hope High Voltage Software is gonna make a comeback with another first person shooter (Conduit 3 would be nice - its unlikely though). However, any ohter futuristic shooter by them would suffice.

It was both a hassle and strange pleasure to optimize my controls for The Conduit 2. You can change any parameter (good thing, since the default controls are by no means good).

After tweaking everything to my needs, motion controls revealed their true potential and the vision of how motion controls can improve certain gaming experiences became reality.

I hope Iwata's Vision of wider (audience) and deeper (better, more sophisticated gaming experiences) becomes a reality, too.

I hope they make good use of the Zapper with attached Wii U Pad. A Conduit 3 with that set-up would be awesome!
Fourth Storm
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:43 AM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plinko

If I were a gambling man I'd put money down on Monster doing Wave Race or F-Zero at launch. It has to be happening.

Wave Race Resort? They expanded on the WSR Pilotwings concept. Doesn't sound unreasonable Wave Race could be next.

F-Zero I expect to be handled by an in-house team and arrive a bit later in the system's life.
Nilaul
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:43 AM)
Nilaul's Avatar
A Massive online fps multiplayer set in the vibrant universe of the metroid series.

Absolutely huge multi player maps... a single story revolving around Federation vs. Space pirates. You pick a team, and you deicide the outcome of the war.

Depending also who wins each battle the senario will change... E.G. one time you might be fighting on space pirates home world, but in the other play through because you lost the battle, the next battle would be you defending your home land.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-22-2012, 12:44 AM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plinko

I disagree with this.

All you'd have to do is make it so the player could pause the game and have access to that screen. It would be a little more cumbersome, but no different than what we have today in games like Zelda.

That's only if the second screen is being used for something static like map/inventory screens. What about games that make dynamic use of the secondary screen, like Ghost Recon Online, for example?

Don't get me wrong, the ability to play some games using the tablet screen will be great support feature, and the Wii U definitely needs great support features so I don't see anything wrong with this. I just don't think it's a system selling feature.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-22-2012, 12:45 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan

That's only if the second screen is being used for something static like map/inventory screens. What about games that make dynamic use of the secondary screen, like Ghost Recon Online, for example?

Don't get me wrong, the ability to play some games using the tablet screen will be great support feature, and the Wii U definitely needs great support features so I don't see anything wrong with this. I just don't think it's a system selling feature.

Sadly, I highly doubt many 3rd parties are going to bother putting the effort into the games to make them as complex as Ghost Recon Online, so I think it will be a non-issue.
Fourth Storm
Member
(02-22-2012, 12:47 AM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan

That's only if the second screen is being used for something static like map/inventory screens. What about games that make dynamic use of the secondary screen, like Ghost Recon Online, for example?

Don't get me wrong, the ability to play some games using the tablet screen will be great support feature, and the Wii U definitely needs great support features so I don't see anything wrong with this. I just don't think it's a system selling feature.

RE: Ghost Recon Online, off the top of my head, a transparent overlay of the map onto the game screen when playing only on the tablet? Obviously, local multiplayer titles are a different story.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-22-2012, 12:49 AM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plinko

Sadly, I highly doubt many 3rd parties are going to bother putting the effort into the games to make them as complex as Ghost Recon Online, so I think it will be a non-issue.

:( You may just be right about that.

But better that 3rd parties have the option to use the tablet than being forced to...
Calisto Glory
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Alistair Roo

Don't forget the Nunchuk.
If Nintendo still wants third party support for wiimote and nunckuk they better
put them in the box.
Aren't those cheap to make now?
why not? =/

I dont think wii u will include a Wiimote and a Nunchuk because most people already have a Wii with controller. You just need to get your old wiimotes and use them for the wii u. If you need one, just buy one.
Shogmaster
Not genuinely interested in rational debate.
(02-22-2012, 12:51 AM)
Shogmaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gahiggidy

Question.

By a factor, how much more powerful is the xbox 360 to the Wii?

Hollywood is rated about 12 billion FLOPS and Xenos is rated about 240 billion FLOPS, but these are manufacturers' numbers so sprinkle some salt.
MadOdorMachine
No additional functions
(02-22-2012, 01:03 AM)
MadOdorMachine's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Excite Boats

A part of me will always be disappointed now if this doesn't happen. I hope TPTB are listening.
StevieP
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Calisto Glory

I dont think wii u will include a Wiimote and a Nunchuk because most people already have a Wii with controller. You just need to get your old wiimotes and use them for the wii u. If you need one, just buy one.

If it's not in the box, it's effectively dead as an input method to most software developers. Doesn't matter how many are out there.

If you want support for IR and wand-motion gaming (I know I do.. who the hell wants to play Tennis or Golf or FPS/TPS with that dual-analog monstrosity?) then you'd better hope they're in the box. Even if they're *in* the box they'll struggle to get support outside of first party. 3rd parties have a dual-analog controller, you'd better believe many of them will be continuing their trend of creative bankruptcy in regards to input and game design.
Rösti
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:12 AM)
Rösti's Avatar

Originally Posted by MadOdorMachine

A part of me will always be disappointed now if this doesn't happen. I hope TPTB are listening.

By the way, I noticed an Ocarina of Time segment I had not seen before while searching for Wave Race 64 beta footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6MZ...ailpage#t=117s

Now, there's plenty of images and videos from Space World '96 on the archived pages of Nintendo of America, but the footage in the YouTube video I've never seen before. Oh, here's the archived site, very interesting things there: http://web.archive.org/web/199612221...how_frame.html

Makes me wonder how The Legend of Zelda for Wii U will look. I hope it's going to be something stylized, like The Wind Waker. Not necessarily cel-shaded, but something different. A voxel based Zelda perhaps?
EDarkness
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Calisto Glory

I dont think wii u will include a Wiimote and a Nunchuk because most people already have a Wii with controller. You just need to get your old wiimotes and use them for the wii u. If you need one, just buy one.

The problem with this is that if there isn't one in the box, then the likelihood of devs supporting it will be much lower. I'd rather they put a remote in the box to make sure all Wii U owners have one so it's a safe bet for developers to go that route and even make remote only games without any problems.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:15 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
I highly doubt they'll be in the box. Would kind of make no sense. They've already emphasized that the UPad is THE thing. Wii controller will remain optional for those who want it for whatever purpose a developer chooses to use them for (if they plan to), but it will always be a side thing. You motion control lovers should be hoping that devs choose to implement the functionality in addition to regular uPad controls. I'm sure some local mp games will use it too n tingz.

But included in box, don't see it. People need to come to grips with the fact that Nintendo is kind of moving on from it, but I'm sure it will linger and be supported in whatever game here and there.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-22-2012, 01:17 AM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rösti

Makes me wonder how The Legend of Zelda for Wii U will look. I hope it's going to be something stylized, like The Wind Waker. Not necessarily cel-shaded, but something different. A voxel based Zelda perhaps?

I would really love a Zelda in the style of the old 80s cartoon. A combination of saturated cel-shading, and oil painted environments.

Oh, and feathered bangs. Lots and lots of feathered bangs.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:20 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
I would like one normal looking zelda with as good graphics as possible, and 1 highly stylized one. I'm sure we'll get 2 in the generation!
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-22-2012, 01:20 AM)
Log4Girlz's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I would like one normal looking zelda with as good graphics as possible, and 1 highly stylized one. I'm sure we'll get 2 in the generation!

We all have dreams.
StevieP
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:22 AM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I highly doubt they'll be in the box. Would kind of make no sense. They've already emphasized that the UPad is THE thing. Wii controller will remain optional for those who want it for whatever purpose a developer chooses to use them for (if they plan to), but it will always be a side thing. You motion control lovers should be hoping that devs choose to implement the functionality in addition to regular uPad controls. I'm sure some local mp games will use it too n tingz.

But included in box, don't see it. People need to come to grips with the fact that Nintendo is kind of moving on from it, but I'm sure it will linger and be supported in whatever game here and there.

"You motion control lovers"?
Dude, even after Wii Sports - how could you possibly go back to playing most sports games on dual-analog? It's a regression. I tried playing Tiger Woods on the 360 not too long ago and just... it's terrible. It's such a massive step down.

It's difficult enough for me to play FPS/TPS on a Wiimote instead of KBM (and at least the IR comes close in accuracy). And the majority of 3rd party content nowadays is FPS/TPS. If everything is going back to dual-analog I won't be buying anything 3rd party on any of the next gen consoles outside of Steam sales on my PC. I guess that won't change from what I'm doing now :P

That people didn't recognize what infrared pointing and motion control *did* do well this gen and instead resisted it at every opportunity is this generation's biggest travesty, next to so many sinking studios.

Now who wants to play a match of 4-player Ghost Squad with one (or possibly 2) uPads?
Gianni Merryman
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:22 AM)
Gianni Merryman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calisto Glory

I dont think wii u will include a Wiimote and a Nunchuk because most people already have a Wii with controller. You just need to get your old wiimotes and use them for the wii u. If you need one, just buy one.

It's not a safe assumption to make methinks.
Many may proobably own already a Wii remote by now, but dismissing whoever does not doesn't make much sense to me.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:24 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by StevieP

"You motion control lovers"?
Dude, even after Wii Sports - how could you possibly go back to playing most sports games on dual-analog? It's a regression.

It's difficult enough for me to play FPS/TPS on a Wiimote instead of KBM (and at least the IR comes close in accuracy). And the majority of 3rd party content nowadays is FPS/TPS. If everything is going back to dual-analog I won't be buying anything 3rd party on any of the next gen consoles outside of Steam sales on my PC. I guess that won't change from what I'm doing now :P

That people didn't recognize what infrared pointing and motion control *did* do well this gen and instead resisted it at every opportunity is this generation's biggest travesty, next to so many sinking studios.

Now who wants to play a match of 4-player Ghost Squad with one (or possibly 2) uPads?

lol you make it sound like I said "you people" in regards to race. I was just saying "you, those who enjoy using motion controls". I prefer them in some contexts, very rarely though.

Anyway like I said, not even speaking on the quality of motion or what it has added. Just saying what it looks like. The uPad is the "thing". It IS the wiiU. It's what they'll be pushing. It also makes no sense to include it in the box for more than one reason. It'll remain optional, and I'm sure in certain sports games and whatever they'll probably include them as secondary controls for whoever likes to use it.

And I wouldn't want to play ghost recon anything because that series sucks to me now :P
EDarkness
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:24 AM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I highly doubt they'll be in the box. Would kind of make no sense. They've already emphasized that the UPad is THE thing. Wii controller will remain optional for those who want it for whatever purpose a developer chooses to use them for (if they plan to), but it will always be a side thing. You motion control lovers should be hoping that devs choose to implement the functionality in addition to regular uPad controls. I'm sure some local mp games will use it too n tingz.

But included in box, don't see it. People need to come to grips with the fact that Nintendo is kind of moving on from it, but I'm sure it will linger and be supported in whatever game here and there.

It's been said the Wii U will only really be able to support one Wii Pad, so including a remote in the box would be a good idea to keep both input methods viable. It would be crazy for Nintendo to spend all that money and time into pushing motion controls via the Wii remote just to throw them out the next generation. Since the Wii Pad even has a sensor bar on it, I'd say it's a safe bet that they don't intend on throwing that to the curb.
Last edited by EDarkness; 02-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Anth0ny
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:25 AM)
Anth0ny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gianni Merryman

It's not a safe assumption to make methinks.
Many may proobably own already a Wii remote by now, but dismissing whoever does not doesn't make much sense to me.

They'll continue to sell them separately throughout next gen. It'll be like a Classic Controller of sorts.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:25 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
It's an added cost and it's confusing marketing to have 2 controllers in a box. And they're gonna wanna cut the cost of this thing down to THE WIREEE to avoid selling it at a loss and whatnot. Not only that, but the majority of developers are gonna straight up ignore it anyway, lets be realistic.
Fourth Storm
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:30 AM)
Fourth Storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I highly doubt they'll be in the box. Would kind of make no sense. They've already emphasized that the UPad is THE thing. Wii controller will remain optional for those who want it for whatever purpose a developer chooses to use them for (if they plan to), but it will always be a side thing. You motion control lovers should be hoping that devs choose to implement the functionality in addition to regular uPad controls. I'm sure some local mp games will use it too n tingz.

But included in box, don't see it. People need to come to grips with the fact that Nintendo is kind of moving on from it, but I'm sure it will linger and be supported in whatever game here and there.

Since we're back on this topic (love this thread), I reiterate my stance that the Wii Remote is not going anywhere, even though I don't expect (or wish for) it as a pack-in. The simple reason being that all local multiplayer games (a genre Nintendo is famous for) will require them.

As for 1 player titles, who knows? I'd certainly enjoy the option, but the tablet is clearly the focus and the central interface.

Even if Nintendo relent and say, sell extra Wii U tablets at a high cost, and exclusively through Gamestop (purely hypothetical), they are not the type of company who will expect that all households will go out and purchase an additional tablet.

My expectation is that, at first, very few titles (such as Madden) will support two U Pads, and over time, this will gradually change until the majority do. It will be over a couple years, though. Through this evolution and beyond (for 5 player gaming), the Wii Remote will still serve a vital role as the controller of choice for "support players" and casual players, presumably with a core gamer playing host w/ the tablet during play sessions.
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-22-2012, 01:31 AM)
Log4Girlz's Avatar
This tablet better enable games to have amazing targeting. I want to just point at who I want to pound into the ground.
User Name Here
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:33 AM)
User Name Here's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gianni Merryman

It's not a safe assumption to make methinks.
Many may proobably own already a Wii remote by now, but dismissing whoever does not doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree. I think this time around things will be pretty different in comparison to last gen; due to each console getting one U-pad and due to the likely high cost of each pad.
Last edited by User Name Here; 02-22-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: nvm
Calisto Glory
Banned
(02-22-2012, 01:33 AM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

It's an added cost and it's confusing marketing to have 2 controllers in a box. And they're gonna wanna cut the cost of this thing down to THE WIREEE to avoid selling it at a loss and whatnot. Not only that, but the majority of developers are gonna straight up ignore it anyway, lets be realistic.

This.

I guess the console and the new controller will be expensive enough to sell alone. They don`t need old controller stuff in the box besides the traditional game.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:33 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Fourth Storm

Since we're back on this topic (love this thread), I reiterate my stance that the Wii Remote is not going anywhere, even though I don't expect (or wish for) it as a pack-in. The simple reason being that all local multiplayer games (a genre Nintendo is famous for) will require them.

As for 1 player titles, who knows? I'd certainly enjoy the option, but the tablet is clearly the focus and the central interface.

Even if Nintendo relent and say, sell extra Wii U tablets at a high cost, and exclusively to Gamestop, they are not the type of company who will expect that all households will go out and purchase an additional tablet.

My expectation is that, at first, very few titles (such as Madden) will support two U Pads, and over time, this will gradually change until the majority do. It will be over a couple years, though. Through this evolution and beyond (for 5 player gaming), the Wii Remote will still serve a vital role as the controller of choice for "support players" and casual players, presumably with a core gamer playing host w/ the tablet during play sessions.

And like I said, I think it'll be supported wherever it makes sense (assuming devs do so, which I think they will), BUT it will remain an optional accessory. It'll be just like the Move is right now I think. Games will have it as a secondary controls option for whenever the opportunity calls, but you'll have to buy the accessory yourself. I think Nintendo would prefer selling it optionally as well because a ton of people already have it so they can use the whole "use what you already got!" for marketing, also like I said, they're considering selling at a loss so they probably won't include something that would add to it when it's not 100% necessary to do so, from a business standpoint I mean. And also, they could use the selling of accessories to recoup any losses they do take if they decide to sell at one, or sell at break even.

I just don't see them coming in the box. They could, but I'd be pretty damn surprised.
EDarkness
Member
(02-22-2012, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

It's an added cost and it's confusing marketing to have 2 controllers in a box. And they're gonna wanna cut the cost of this thing down to THE WIREEE to avoid selling it at a loss and whatnot. Not only that, but the majority of developers are gonna straight up ignore it anyway, lets be realistic.

We have no idea what's going to happen. However, I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to include it so that at least devs have the option to support it and know that everyone will have one. Otherwise, it's as good as dead.

I think in this case it comes down to what gamers want. All I know is that I refuse to buy any shooter that doesn't support the remote and nunchuck on the Wii U. We just have to make it clear that we want IR support and motion controls in our games. I've already passed this on to friends of mine in the industry, and I'm sure there are others out there like me.
-Pyromaniac-
(02-22-2012, 01:37 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by EDarkness

We have no idea what's going to happen. However, I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to include it so that at least devs have the option to support it and know that everyone will have one. Otherwise, it's as good as dead.

I think in this case it comes down to what gamers want. All I know is that I refuse to buy any shooter that doesn't support the remote and nunchuck on the Wii U. We just have to make it clear that we want IR support and motion controls in our games. I've already passed this on to friends of mine in the industry, and I'm sure there are others out there like me.

well there is a fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge market of gamers who will buy shooters without motion controls. See battlefield 3 and COD games on the ps360. So "what gamers want" isn't the best defense for it, it would have to be some massive campaign, operation rainfallx100.

Anyway I'm standing by it, will it continue to be supported, I say yes, to an extent. Will it come in the box? I doubt it because of the many reasons I mentioned. I'd be surprised.

Thread Tools