• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-21-2012, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Log4Girlz

Yeah, Nintendo released motion controls and has been out for years. I don't think the Kinect will have anywhere near the success...oh wait.

Not even close to the same thing.

1) No controller--totally different way to play

2) HD graphics

At that point, the only thing the Wii U would have going for it is the ability to play with the TV off. I think that will be a great feature but not a huge system-seller.
ClovingWestbrook
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:00 PM)

Originally Posted by cyberheater

From every gaf member that's been verified by a mod who works for a video game company and have actually seen real WiiU dev kit and have said it's either slightly below or on par with current PS360 tech vs random non verified dev comments on the interweb.

I know which one I trust more.

LOL. Sorry brah but you're wrong. Many who have seen the devkits have stated its more powerful than whats currently available.
Rhod
(02-21-2012, 11:01 PM)

Originally Posted by royalan

It's a tricky thing to compare anything to the success of Apple products. And, to be fair, Apple always outputs hardware that's technically impressive, even if they sometimes omit certain features (multitasking, NFC). You'd never see Apple do something akin to taking their latest software and slapping it on old Blackberry Curve hardware...which is kinda what Nintendo would be doing if the Wii U really is just a repackaged 360.

Looking at it a different way, Apple builds a system apt to the functionality they want to develop, and it often works very well. The original few generations of iPod, for example.

Nintendo has successfully employed the same strategy for many years now.
antonz
(02-21-2012, 11:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Rhod

Looking at it a different way, Apple builds a system apt to the functionality they want to develop, and it often works very well. The original few generations of iPod, for example.

Nintendo has successfully employed the same strategy for many years now.

Outside of the Wii we have seen Nintendo has lost ground every single console Generation. Its always because they make some pretty questionable decisions too.
Rhod
(02-21-2012, 11:03 PM)

Originally Posted by antonz

Outside of the Wii we have seen Nintendo has lost ground every single console Generation.

And yet the Wii and DS were the two systems in which their 'just make it technologically as good as we need it, and bring the fun in other ways' philosophy was followed most closely.

So why would they change path?

It's not that everyone has to like it, it's just that it's not *wrong* for them to follow the Wii U plan that they are talking about.

And they *are* talking about their defining concepts for Wii U. And none of them are *amazing GPU*:

Originally Posted by Iwata

One of the Wii U's proposals is, "Even if you don't buy the latest TV, the existing TV in your house will become multi-screen." In households in Japan, I believe many families have recently replaced their TVs to watch terrestrial digital media broadcasting as the transitional period to which ended just the other day, and I do not imagine that mass amounts of those new TVs will be replaced in the near future. One of Wii U's proposals is that the TV will turn into a multi-screen TV that works very closely with the Internet, without replacing the TV.

Originally Posted by Miyamoto

we have designed the Wii U to be recognized as being different from any other hardware system. Although I cannot elaborate on its network functions today, as we are preparing for the launch of the Wii U, we are taking into consideration its network-related capabilities.

Originally Posted by Iwata

the Wii U is not simply a Wii with a different user interface and we are not proposing to society a performance-enhanced Wii, rather we are proposing hardware with a totally different concept and vision.

When evaluating new Nintendo hardware, thinking about the tech specs is missing the point. Assuming it will be bleeding edge tech is, on recent-past form, just peculiar.
Last edited by Rhod; 02-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Fourth Storm
(02-21-2012, 11:03 PM)

Outside of the Wii we have seen Nintendo has lost ground every single console Generation. Its always because they make some pretty questionable decisions too.

Those were the Yamauchi years...
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-21-2012, 11:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Plinko

Not even close to the same thing.

1) No controller--totally different way to play

2) HD graphics

At that point, the only thing the Wii U would have going for it is the ability to play with the TV off. I think that will be a great feature but not a huge system-seller.

People are all over touch gaming, it will be a massive system seller at the right price and with the right software. The 3DS is lighting it up now (now that they've corrected the price).
Hoo-doo
(02-21-2012, 11:05 PM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

In science, when we take data we discard outliers.
Right now, Arkam's statements of it being below the 360 is an outlier.

This isn't about it being below the 360, read my posts. I said low estimates put it "on par" with the current HD consoles, that's all.

And with other developers being disappointed, or even outright saying the system isn't all that powerful, i'd say my statement isn't far off.
ShockingAlberto
(02-21-2012, 11:06 PM)

It's also because a major competitor gets their footing or enters the fray in that generation.
antonz

And yet the Wii and DS were the two systems in which their 'just make it technologically as good as we need it, and bring the fun in other ways' philosophy was followed most closely.

So why would they change path?

Nintendo has a fantastic strategy when it comes to handhelds. The DS was the same strategy they have always used as is the 3DS when it comes to power and potential.

Its the console market they flail around in.
royalan
Lotus Member

Originally Posted by Fourth Storm

It will come down to how the tablet is utilized by devs, of course. Combined with the HD display, the subscreen offers everything the DS did and then some as far as gameplay possibilities go. Those other tablets also don't have the advantage of a Nintendo leading the way in creating unique experiences. All it takes is one software title on the level of Wii Sports to make everyone a believer. Iwata has stated in the past that they are constantly on the lookout for the next "big hit," ala Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Brain Age.

I agree with this, but I don't think Nintendo games are the problem. As someone stated a page ago, Nintendo making great games for their hardware has never been the issue. Wii U could end up being a Wii and a Gamecube duct taped together, and Nintendo would still make impressive games for it.

The issue for a lot of people going forward is 3rd party support. The Wii demonstrated that it doesn't matter how much your console sells, and it doesn't matter how good the 1st party games are; if you stray too far outside of what the rest of the industry is doing, you won't get the support. I'm personally anxious to see how Nintendo is going to address that, because after this gen, no one developer's games are enough to make go in on a console at launch. 3rd Party support is going to be a big deal for me, and for a lot of people.

Also, do not underestimate the feature of freeing console gaming from the television set. Being able to seamlessly switch from tv to game has the potential to be a huge hit with families, couples, and even frat houses. One of the biggest hurdles for console gaming is the time it takes to get something started. The fact that you don't even need a tv to start up a game or check the network is a huge step forward.

I hesitate to count this as a game-changing feature because it won't be viable for all (or even most) Wii U games. For example, any game that makes even minor use of the tablet controller as a secondary screen will not be able to also use the controller to function as the main screen at the same time. Sure, they could code the game to play differently if the upad is being used as the primary screen, but then you get into the issue of Nintendo expecting devs to do too much extra to support their hardware.
Last edited by royalan; 02-21-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(02-21-2012, 11:07 PM)
I see a lot of ladies streaming netflix on their tablet while their boyfriends/husbands are watching something else and vice versa.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

This isn't about it being below the 360, read my posts. I said low estimates put it "on par" with the current HD consoles, that's all.

And with other developers being disappointed, or even outright saying the system isn't all that powerful, i'd say my statement isn't far off.

Some devs will be disappointed if it doesn't have a billion gigs of RAM and a thousand TFLOPs...
antonz
(02-21-2012, 11:09 PM)

I see a lot of ladies streaming netflix on their tablet while their boyfriends/husbands are watching something else and vice versa.

That poses its own problem. As tablet ownership continues to grow why are people gonna need or use a Wii U tablet when they have much nicer tablets already for the off the TV streaming etc. They will have the advantage of streaming Nintendo games but heck these days most tablets can stream games off PCs etc now.
Last edited by antonz; 02-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Rhod
(02-21-2012, 11:10 PM)

I hesitate to count this as a game-changing feature because it won't be viable for all (or even most) Wii U games.

It will allow you to keep interacting with your Wii U, at *all* times. Sure, you won't be able to play every game but you'll be able to get messages, invites, browse stuff, play the virtual console, and play some big games.

It is important to keep the player's relationship with the system active. And it is a big step up from what we've had with games machines in the past in this regard.
Log4Girlz
(02-21-2012, 11:10 PM)

Some devs will be disappointed if it doesn't have a billion gigs of RAM and a thousand TFLOPs...

Don't be absurd man, Crytec is only asking for 8 GB.
Hoo-doo
(02-21-2012, 11:11 PM)

Every other tablet or smartphone or laptop on the market already does this. I don't see how it's a selling point.
Rhod
(02-21-2012, 11:11 PM)

That poses its own problem. As tablet ownership continues to grow why are people gonna need or use a Wii U tablet when they have much nicer tablets already for the off the TV streaming etc

As I said, it'll be difficult to define it as something worth having. But you appear to presume they can't, possibly based upon your estimations and of things you have already seen, but not based upon what has inspired a very large corporation to make a new device with a second screen as its major differentiator. Nintendo may well be wrong, but it would certainly be very odd for them to be investing so heavily if they didn't think it was worth it.

You need only look at Wii for an example of similar.
IceDoesntHelp
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:12 PM)

Don't be absurd man, Crytec is only asking for 8 GB.

Lol, is there even a game that recommends or requires at least 8GBs of RAM for it to run?
magash
Why is it that some of you are a bit insecure about the Wii U's strength. We know it will not be as strong as the Xbox720 or PS4 but we also know for a fact that the 2nd dev kits were at a minimum as strong as the Xbox360 and Ps3. All this talk of the Wii U being at best as strong as Xbox360 is flat out wrong.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...horsepower-dev
Hero of Legend

Those were the Yamauchi years...

You're absolutely right! DS and Wii are the first handheld and console platforms respectively to launch after Iwata took over, and DAMN did he do what Yamauchi couldn't, I mean would Nintendo, or anyone have predicted the success of these two platforms? Iwata certainly did the right thing at the right time, and more than worthy of his position.
tkscz
(02-21-2012, 11:13 PM)
we still talking about this? it's been said that his info was off AND that it was the first underclocked dev kits. please stop.
Forsaken82
(02-21-2012, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by cyberheater

From every gaf member that's been verified by a mod who works for a video game company and have actually seen real WiiU dev kit and have said it's either slightly below or on par with current PS360 tech vs random non verified dev comments on the interweb.

I know which one I trust more.

Thats the important part isn't it? Out of all the "verified" posters, how many of them have actually worked on a built from the ground up Wii U Title? How many have merely worked with the Wii U hardware (making a port of a current gen title) to make an accurate comparison to the Ps3/360? And how many have simply heard from a loose lipped coworker?

Me personally, I won't believe any of these rumors until I hear from someone who has actually worked directly with the hardware (in other words, questions 1 or 2 is good enough for me, 3 takes a bit more for me to accept)
Last edited by Forsaken82; 02-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-21-2012, 11:14 PM)

It will allow you to keep interacting with your Wii U, at *all* times. Sure, you won't be able to play every game but you'll be able to get messages, invites, browse stuff, play the virtual console, and play some big games.

It is important to keep the player's relationship with the system active. And it is a big step up from what we've had with games machines in the past in this regard.

That's awesome. Don't get me wrong, I see great gameplay potential in a tablet controller. I've never tried to argue otherwise. That's one of the main reasons I'm excited for Wii U.

I just don't see the tablet controller being the big, "Whoa! I've never seen anything like that before!" draw with casuals that the wiimote and Kinect are. So I hope Nintendo's not putting all of their eggs into that one basket.
Log4Girlz
(02-21-2012, 11:14 PM)

Every other tablet or smartphone or laptop on the market already does this. I don't see how it's a selling point.

They also play games.

HOLD THE PHONE NINTENDO, STOP DEVELOPING THE WII U.
le.phat
(02-21-2012, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Mlatador

You know, considering this is already the second Wii U Spectulation Thread, I sometimes wonder how come it's got so many views and even posts. Clearly people must be immensly interested in Nintendo's next big thing as well as Nintendo themselves. It's gotta be FUN for you all or even an obsession of some sort, because you - fuck, me included - can't stop thinking about the damn thing. As soon as new information leaks, people jump on it like vultures on dead meat. The fact that Nintendo knows how to keep it's secrets makes it even more exciting and fun.

Nintendo must be the best thing ever, because they know how to produce enjoyment. Even just the thinking/the speculation about the Wii U let's people have fun - that's how genius they are. Nintendo's partly made out of PURE MAGIC it seems, don't you see? They know what you want, want makes you happy, even before you do. They could provide you with the details, but they don't want to. They just know how much fun it is to speculate about them.

They even have Ninjas, how is that?

Dude. Thats borderline creepy. As stated before, this is the first NG console thats slowly taking form. Obviously alot of people want to keep tabs, it isnt any different when x360 and ps4 roll out. And to be honest, for every person that sticks for the fun of speculation, another person sticks for meltdowns and drama.
Hoo-doo
(02-21-2012, 11:21 PM)

They also play games.

HOLD THE PHONE NINTENDO, STOP DEVELOPING THE WII U.

Why were you even bringing up the Netflix example in the first place? I don't see the ladies flocking to the PS Vita when it's supposed to be capable of playing Netflix as well, and on a better screen to boot.
antonz
(02-21-2012, 11:22 PM)
Well looks like Nintendo Power is teasing an Epic Mickey 2 reveal for the next issue. As we know its supposed to be a Wii U game we will see what happens
brochiller
(02-21-2012, 11:24 PM)

Well looks like Nintendo Power is teasing an Epic Mickey 2 reveal for the next issue. As we know its supposed to be a Wii U game we will see what happens

What? Where did you find this?
AceBandage
Banned

I really doubt they'll be able to say if it's for Wii U or not in Nintendo Power.
ClovingWestbrook
Banned

It definitely isn't a selling point but it adds functionality to the system.
antonz

I really doubt they'll be able to say if it's for Wii U or not in Nintendo Power.

Dunno its possible since its about the right time for some major 3rd party to get their Red Steel moment.

Originally Posted by brochiller

The Nintendo that Go has a scan. They speculate its Rabbids related but the ears are Oswalds
Log4Girlz
(02-21-2012, 11:26 PM)

Why were you even bringing up the Netflix example in the first place? I don't see the ladies flocking to the PS Vita when it's supposed to be capable of playing Netflix as well, and on a better screen to boot.

Its an added bullet point, not something to flock to a system for. I envision the console purchased by couples and having that ability will be a nice plus. Nobody cares about the vita.
herzogzwei1989
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:26 PM)
After playing Pilotwings Resort on 3DS, I sure hope that same developer works on a Wii U version.
IceDoesntHelp
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by brochiller

In the Nintendo Power issue

There will be no fooling around when it comes to our April issue. We'll have the final word of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles in our full reviews, and get an exclusive whiff of a top-secret title that promises to make your head spin

The "hint" is a yellow background with black curved lines sticking up from the bottom. I didn't think about it at first, but it does look like Oswalds ears.
Fourth Storm
(02-21-2012, 11:27 PM)

I hesitate to count this as a game-changing feature because it won't be viable for all (or even most) Wii U games. For example, any game that makes even minor use of the tablet controller as a secondary screen will not be able to also use the controller to function as the main screen at the same time. Sure, they could code the game to play differently if the upad is being used as the primary screen, but then you get into the issue of Nintendo expecting devs to do too much extra to support their hardware.

I don't believe we've gotten official word as to whether all games will support the game streaming feature, but I've heard nothing from Nintendo to suggest otherwise. As of now, I think we should assume that this is a central feature built into the console on an OS level. I just urge you not make your speculation sound too much like fact, because in this thread, someone will read it and take it as such.

It's my opinion that most multiplatform titles won't be using the Wii U tablet in a way that would need much alteration when played entirely on the tablet. If anything, indirect mouse look becomes direct touch (upgrade). Look at some of the other demos from last e3. Would it be that much of difference if the ninja star is on the same screen as the background, for example? And that's a more gimmicky utilization. HUDs, maps, hotkeys/gestures and all the other usual suggestions that we throw around on here are even less of an issue.

Some of the more fascinating uses of the controller, such as the "free look" mode, would be a different mode entirely, like Star Fox 64's motion control option or the 3D mode in SSFIV. So while you make a valid point that developers will have to think things out, I don't agree with you that TV-free gaming will be a limited feature only used in specific titles.
Last edited by Fourth Storm; 02-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.
brochiller
(02-21-2012, 11:28 PM)

The Nintendo that Go has a scan. They speculate its Rabbids related but the ears are Oswalds

Damn. That would be awesome if true.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(02-21-2012, 11:28 PM)

I wouldn't bet on any mention of Wii U other than as a "we're only talking about the Wii version here" non-denial.

The NP teaser also says that the game in question "promises to make your head spin," which fits with previous leaks about Oswald having helicopter-ish flight powers.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-21-2012, 11:29 PM)

But they're going to have to show screens for it, right? We should be able to easily tell if that's the case.

This is just another sign: the floodgates are starting to open...
AceBandage
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:29 PM)

But they're going to have to show screens for it, right? We should be able to easily tell if that's the case.

This is just another sign: the floodgates are starting to open...

They'll show screens of the Wii version.
Anth0ny
(02-21-2012, 11:30 PM)
I don't think it would be on Wii U. It would be nice, but I think Nintendo needs something for the Wii between now and... November when Wii U launches?

All I could think of is Mario Party 9 and Xenoblade.
antonz
(02-21-2012, 11:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

I don't think it would be on Wii U. It would be nice, but I think Nintendo needs something for the Wii between now and... November when Wii U launches?

All I could think of is Mario Party 9 and Xenoblade.

Epic Mickey as far as I know is a fall 2012. At that point if they only have a Wii version its being sent to die by Disney
AceBandage
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:32 PM)
It's Wii, 360 and PS3 as far as we know, with a rumored Wii U version.
blu
(02-21-2012, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by herzogzwei1989

After playing Pilotwings Resort on 3DS, I sure hope that same developer works on a Wii U version.

EXCITE U believe (tm)
AceBandage
Banned
(02-21-2012, 11:37 PM)
Excite Boats
Fourth Storm
(02-21-2012, 11:39 PM)

Excite Boats

Anyone else remember the original concept for Wave Race?
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(02-21-2012, 11:40 PM)

I disagree with this.

All you'd have to do is make it so the player could pause the game and have access to that screen. It would be a little more cumbersome, but no different than what we have today in games like Zelda.
fernoca
(02-21-2012, 11:40 PM)

Originally Posted by herzogzwei1989

Monster Games?
They had ExciteTruck ready for launch, and I doubt the entire team worked on Pilotwings Resort, so they (at least) must be doing something...exciting maybe? :p
Plinko
(02-21-2012, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by fernoca

Monster Games?
They had ExciteTruck ready for launch, and I doubt the entire team worked on Pilotwings Resort, so they (at least) must be doing something...exciting maybe? :p

If I were a gambling man I'd put money down on Monster doing Wave Race or F-Zero at launch. It has to be happening.
Log4Girlz
(02-21-2012, 11:41 PM)

Anyone else remember the original concept for Wave Race?

Was trying to look up the video on youtube just now hahaha.