• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

GoofsterStud
(02-20-2012, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Credo

Thank you, cj, M3d10n, and Goofster.

I actually just bought Astal about 30 minutes after my first post. When I checked it out in the past, the prices were hovering around $45-50, but this afternoon I saw an auction for a complete, mint copy that was $20 cheaper than normal, so I finally got it.

And thank you for that link in your post, M3d10n. I never knew creating an ISO and adding a fan translation was that easy. I really should explore emulation more instead of sticking to the NA-only games that I can play in my console on my TV.

What do you all think of Fighting Vipers and/or Fighters Megamix? Is it even worth getting Fighting Vipers since Fighters Megamix has all the FV characters in it, or are either one of them worth picking up?

Keep the recommendations coming if you want, GAF. I appreciate all of them.

Just get Fighters Megamix. The whole game runs of the Fighting Viper engine.
cj_iwakura
(02-20-2012, 01:36 AM)

Originally Posted by GoofsterStud

He was against releasing any 2D games in the US market. He also was against peripherals like the ram cart used for perfect Neogeo and Capcom ports. It took a lot of effort for developers to get approval to release 2D games on the Saturn, which was what the system was made for. Neogeo said F-it for later ports. Even when Capcom gave him an ultimatum for there games requiring a ram cart, he simply said the Saturn was better off without it.

He also thought RPGs were a waste of time, and had no market in the US.

I would have loved to have seen his face when Final Fantasy VII came out.
Seik
(02-20-2012, 01:51 AM)

Originally Posted by LeMaximilian

Sega Saturn Saturdays with Max & Matt - Episode 2 Panzer Dragoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqx5g_LaVQ

Quick talk about Segata Sanshiro, Bernie Stolar and playing Panzer Dragoon.

Great stuff!

I booted PD right after watching your video! XD Good to see there's still a lot of people who kept interest in the Saturn, I thought my thread was dead since long!
Jazzem
(02-20-2012, 02:26 AM)
To give a bit of a counter-opinion on Clockwork Knight, I played through it for the first time a week back and actually really liked it. Granted I am a huge fan of platformers but I thought the controls/design/etc were all solid. Visually it's a bit dated in places (the sprites have a prerendered low-res look to them, plus the 3D is definitely showing images), but I still found it charming and fun.

It's also quite surreal how much the cut scenes remind me of Toy Story, but the game actually pre-dates the film!

I'm still eager to get more games for the Saturn. It's quite exciting to collect for, having missed out on it back in the day. Not to mention being eager to try all these interesting gems that fans praise. Am currently trying to get a 3D controller for a decent price, don't want to play through my copy of NiGHTS with the dpad!
ExitPlanetDust
(02-20-2012, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by LeMaximilian

Sega Saturn Saturdays with Max & Matt - Episode 2 Panzer Dragoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqx5g_LaVQ

Quick talk about Segata Sanshiro, Bernie Stolar and playing Panzer Dragoon.

I can't wait to see you guys play some VF.
Genesis Knight
(02-21-2012, 04:38 PM)
Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix are kind of tough to play when VF2 looks and runs so much better.
Credo
(02-22-2012, 01:11 AM)
Thank you, Jazzem, Genesis, and Goofster for more opinions.

I guess Clockwork Knight and Fighters Megamix are the kind of games that I won't put high on my priority list, but I'll pick them up if I see them at a really good price.

The prices for Shining Force 3 are a lot higher than what I'm willing to pay, but Shining the Holy Ark is in the low-40 to high-50 range depending on quality, so I'm thinking about picking that up.
Suairyu
Banned
(02-22-2012, 02:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Genesis Knight

Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix are kind of tough to play when VF2 looks and runs so much better.

With Model2 emulation at near-perfect levels, these days it's much better to play them on MAME instead. You'd be amazed at how much better looking they are compared to the Saturn ports (which for home consoles were still quite delicious).
Eiji
(02-22-2012, 03:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Suairyu

With Model2 emulation at near-perfect levels, these days it's much better to play them on MAME instead. You'd be amazed at how much better looking they are compared to the Saturn ports (which for home consoles were still quite delicious).

Why play on MAME when you can play them on ElSemi's Model 2 emulator with 3D acceleration and widescreen hacks?

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

Click to enlarge:

mikespit1200
(02-22-2012, 03:34 AM)
So I just ordered a Saturn, how should I hook it up my LCD? Most sites say s-video.
Damon Bennet
(02-22-2012, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Eiji

Why play on MAME when you can play them on ElSemi's Model 2 emulator with 3D acceleration and widescreen hacks?

Click to enlarge:

omg orgasm. loved vf2.
anyone remember last bronx? that was awesome too, made me buy a dreamcast for soul calibur, as i wanted a weapon based fighter so much
Suairyu
Banned
(02-22-2012, 03:38 AM)

Click to enlarge:

Oh, I use that. I just couldn't remember its name. So, y'know, "mame"!
Emperor Bohe
(02-22-2012, 03:39 AM)
I bought a scart RGB to component converter only to find that it doesnt work on my HDTV =(
Shion
(02-22-2012, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Damon Bennet

omg orgasm. loved vf2.
anyone remember last bronx? that was awesome too, made me buy a dreamcast for soul calibur, as i wanted a weapon based fighter so much

I played the hell out of Last Bronx back in the day, such an underrated game.
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 03:54 AM)

Oh, indeed. But a lot of these comparisons aren't fair if you bring in emulation. :P

I love the hell out of Last Bronx; I just wish it didn't have all the polygonal flickering. Still, my second favorite 3D fighter after VF2 on Saturn.
Suairyu
Banned
(02-22-2012, 04:01 AM)

Oh, indeed. But a lot of these comparisons aren't fair if you bring in emulation. :P

Well, of course not. It's just that in a thread talking about playing Saturn games we should talk about whether the arcade ports are better elsewhere. 99% of the time the answer is "yes, emulate the arcade game itself".

I think if someone was to say "I just got a Saturn - what games should I get?" and someone says Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter they're doing a disservice to the question.
DonasaurusRex
Online Ho Champ
(02-22-2012, 04:45 AM)
know what i miss most about the sega saturn? the damn controller. i would kill for a usb one ...its still my fav of all time.
Suairyu
Banned
(02-22-2012, 04:47 AM)

Originally Posted by DonasaurusRex

know what i miss most about the sega saturn? the damn controller. i would kill for a usb one ...its still my fav of all time.

Guy, USB Saturn aren't exactly uncommon.
Dwayne
(02-22-2012, 04:55 AM)

Guy, USB Saturn aren't exactly uncommon.

ebay - sure the majority are bootleg, but the bootlegs are just as good as the real thing :D
Tain
(02-22-2012, 04:58 AM)

I think if someone was to say "I just got a Saturn - what games should I get?" and someone says Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter they're doing a disservice to the question.

Yes. Yes yes yes.

Yes.
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 06:30 AM)

Originally Posted by DonasaurusRex

There was a guy on Racketboy selling brand-new-in-box type-2 Saturn controllers a while back. Bought 2, should have bought 10.
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(02-22-2012, 08:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Dwayne

ebay - sure the majority are bootleg, but the bootlegs are just as good as the real thing :D

You shouldn't spread that kind of lie. Most of the bootlegs have awful build quality.

Best bet is to buy the original controller and a USB converter of some kind.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(02-22-2012, 10:09 AM)
Why has no one ported Hyper Duel to XBLA, PSN, or even Steam/PC?

WHY?!

Whats Technosoft up to these days anyway?
Last edited by Teknoman; 02-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Fox
(02-22-2012, 10:17 AM)
nice thread.

this is my saturn collection. work in progress, of course.

Last edited by Fox; 02-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(02-22-2012, 10:28 AM)
Always liked the JP Sega Saturn art/border style more than the NA or EU.
Dwayne
(02-22-2012, 10:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Sixfortyfive

You shouldn't spread that kind of lie.

My experience is they're fine.
Suairyu
Banned
(02-22-2012, 12:44 PM)
O god Fox you're turning me on so much right now.
mikespit1200
(02-22-2012, 01:00 PM)
Is it possible to use a regular s-video with RCA audio cable like this to hook up the saturn or do I need the special saturn cable like this one
U n i o n 0015
(02-22-2012, 01:21 PM)

Something about those crisply visible polygons is a style that I still enjoy.
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by mikespit1200

Is it possible to use a regular s-video with RCA audio cable like this to hook up the saturn or do I need the special saturn cable like this one

You have to use a Saturn cable because the end that connects to the console is its own special jack. That said, you should be playing on SCART RGB (with a converter if you're in the USA like me) if you're using an HD screen.
mikespit1200
(02-22-2012, 02:31 PM)

You have to use a Saturn cable because the end that connects to the console is its own special jack. That said, you should be playing on SCART RGB (with a converter if you're in the USA like me) if you're using an HD screen.

Yeah, I looked into those they're just a bit more than I'm willing to spend.
sixteen-bit
(02-22-2012, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015

Something about those crisply visible polygons is a style that I still enjoy.

Yeah. Looks even better in high-res.
U n i o n 0015
(02-22-2012, 03:53 PM)

Most of the ~$50 converters have no way of passing audio, no? I think I looked into them but I would've had to do some wire splicing to pass audio.
ExitPlanetDust
(02-22-2012, 06:26 PM)
The JP Model 1 I picked up is now clean and it has a new backup battery. I'm going to use it as my primary Saturn for awhile. I finally had some time to head to the store and grab a can of compressed air and a CR2032. Damn, those batteries are hard to find. Everyone was sold out. I had to go to 2 different stores.
sixteen-bit
(02-22-2012, 06:29 PM)

Most of the ~$50 converters have no way of passing audio, no? I think I looked into them but I would've had to do some wire splicing to pass audio.

Yeah. My SCART cable has separate RCA audio leads and I use those.
isny
napkin dispenser
(02-22-2012, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Fox

nice thread.

You my friend should buy my extra Japanese copy of Panzar II Zwei =p
Fox
(02-22-2012, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by isny

You my friend should buy my extra Japanese copy of Panzar II Zwei =p

lol, thanks but i'm using all my money in neo geo AES games xD
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 06:42 PM)

You can also pick up a SCART audio breakout plug for under $5, which is what I have.
Seik
(02-22-2012, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Emperor Bohe

I bought a scart RGB to component converter only to find that it doesnt work on my HDTV =(

Welcome in the club!

Fox- Great collection! How is the Cotton series? I always was interested but never tried it in order to know. Great shmup overall?
ExitPlanetDust
(02-22-2012, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Fox

nice thread.

Nice! Putting the rarities at the bottom. ;)
Fox
(02-22-2012, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Seik

Welcome in the club!

Fox- Great collection! How is the Cotton series? I always was interested but never tried it in order to know. Great shmup overall?

i'm playing a lot with cotton in these days. i'm loving it, but to be honest, this is my only game of the saga. great gameplay and level design, graphics and music, anyway.
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 10:23 PM)
Here's my collection. I go for US longboxes wherever possible. Started collecting Saturn again in August after selling off my collection some years ago. Prices have gone up. :/

Those Japanese guide books are for Legend of Oasis / Thor: Seireiohkiden.
U n i o n 0015
(02-22-2012, 10:37 PM)
Lots of good stuff there!

What's the longbox with the blank title?
Dog Problems
(02-22-2012, 10:39 PM)

Lots of good stuff there!

What's the longbox with the blank title?

Astal
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 10:47 PM)
Astal pisses the hell out of me, even more than Doom 32X.

I mean seriously, what the shit:

BTW LastWindow, your copies of RS and Gunbird say hey. They say they hope the cash is treating you well.
5amshift
(02-22-2012, 10:47 PM)
Only game I have of value for Saturn is Doom. I don't own much Sega Saturn games, but it is a system I do want a nice collection for in the future.
Dog Problems
(02-22-2012, 10:50 PM)

BTW LastWindow, your copies of RS and Gunbird say hey. They say they hope the cash is treating you well.

Haha, tell them the cash has given a Vita a nice home.

Edit: Nice collection, by the way.
Genesis Knight
(02-22-2012, 11:06 PM)
Oh yeah, you were saving for that Vita. And thanks. :) I'm focusing on imports for the next bit - shmups and fighters and such. Got DoDonPachi coming in the mail and I hope to pick up TFV soon. Otherwise I'm working my Dreamcast import collection (CvSNK2, Fighting Vipers 2) and my Dreamcast shmup collection (Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2).
Last edited by Genesis Knight; 02-22-2012 at 11:09 PM.
DangerStepp
(02-22-2012, 11:08 PM)
This thread is a blessing.

Do you know how long I have waited for a decent Saturn emu?
ExitPlanetDust
(02-23-2012, 08:18 AM)
Soukyugurentai related:

Also posted on shmups and Racketboy in hopes of finding more people to test.

I noticed something very odd while playing Soukyugurentai Otokuyo tonight on my newly acquired Model 1 Japanese Saturn. I was playing on Arcade Difficulty (5) as I usually do on my Model 2 US Saturn and the game was noticeably more difficult. More enemies, the enemies were more aggressive, there were more bullets and the bullets were faster. Even bosses were starting patterns they normally don't unless I have the difficulty set to 6 or 7.

I erased any saved data from the Action Replay 4 in 1 menus and tried again with the Action Replay unplugged. I thought maybe I was experiencing some kind of cheat device deterrent. >:) But that wasn't the case. It was still much more difficult than what I had experienced when playing on AC difficulty in the past on my US Model 2 Saturn.

So I hooked up the Model 2, erased all saved data and started on AC difficulty. Just as I suspected, the game was quite a bit easier.

Can anyone else test this? Is it a difference between Japanese and other region systems, or a difference between Model 1 & 2 Saturns and not region specific at all? Is non-Otokuyo affected?

I have experienced little differences in loading and game play between Models 1 & 2 with other games in the past, but this is the first time I have seen differences this extreme.