• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 gameplay trailer

Anth0ny

Looks great. If this completes the hatrick of good Sonic games, no-one can ever post the cycle again.

oiMSE.png

Looks great. If this completes the hatrick of good Sonic games, no-one can ever post the cycle again.

When did this hat trick start? Where was I when this started happening?

I guess you could count Sonic Fan Remix, but that's a homebrew game and it's incomplete. Sure, it's of a considerably higher quality than what we're used to getting but you'd still need two more games, and I don't know if a fan game should really count.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I guess you could count Sonic Fan Remix, but that's a homebrew game and it's incomplete. Sure, it's of a considerably higher quality than what we're used to getting but you'd still need two more games, and I don't know if a fan game should really count.

You're LTTP on this, the hattrick happened in 1991-1994

FreeMufasa

Started with Colours (although some may say it began with Sonic and sega racing) then Generations and now this. Just saying if this ends up good, people will be excited for the next Sonic game instead of worried.

Short trailer but it looks like gameplay, graphics and variety is there. Just need to know what the physics will be like.

SykoTech

Does anyone else hear the sound of a balloon deflating? Where's it coming from?

Ohhhhh.

Just....why? Did they think it was a good idea to copy one of the worst things about Donkey Kong Country Returns?

They better not pull that with Knuckles in Episode III.

RagnarokX

It has a lot to live up to thanks to Sonic Generations.

Even Sonic Generations still has a lot to live up to. Generations wasn't even pretending to be Sonic 4 and this game still looks even less deserving of the 4 monicker than Generations. At least Generations didn't have Sonic breaking walls with his face :p

You mean actually playing the game before you judge the physics? Madness I say! Madness!!
You didn't have to play Sonic 4 after the video leaks happened to realize something was very, very wrong with how it controlled.

EDIT: Wait, you can't play as Tails outside of co-op? That seems like a pretty bizarre design decision. Instantly reminds me

Did they think it was a good idea to copy one of the worst things about Donkey Kong Country Returns?
of this. Hope it doesn't mean Tails is demoted to a power-up like Diddy was in Returns too.

Zen

Banned
Even Sonic Generations still has a lot to live up to. Generations wasn't even pretending to be Sonic 4 and this game still looks even less deserving of the 4 monicker than Generations. At least Generations didn't have Sonic breaking walls with his face :p

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has better physics than Classic Sonic generations where rolling is even more broken and bounce height is predetermine along with every other variable being messed up. Sonic 4 is heavy and the lack of inertia is a pain, but if you were to port Sonic generations physics into classic Sonic levels, you wouldn't even be able to beat the game in some instances.

Vidiot

You can't even choose to play as Tails?! It's DKCR all over again. :(

I'm gonna go hug my copy of S3&K and tell it how much it means to me.

RagnarokX

You mean actually playing the game before you judge the physics? Madness I say! Madness!!

"What do you mean that stove looks hot? You haven't even touched it yet. What's that? You've touched hot stoves in the past and can make decisions based on past experience and visual evidence? But you haven't touched THIS stove!"

You didn't have to play Sonic 4 after the video leaks happened to realize something was very, very wrong with how it controlled.

At least that was based on some uncut gameplay footage. All we have now is a bunch of spastic cuts of gameplay with Sonic zipping and boosting about. There's almost nothing in that trailer to discern any solid conclusion with regards to the physics.
"What do you mean that stove looks hot? You haven't even touched it yet. What's that? You've touched hot stoves in the past and can make decisions based on past experience and visual evidence? But you haven't touched THIS stove!"

Yep, stove's off.

Emitan

To its credit, Sonic generations did a good job of faking the surface level elements ina way that most people didn't notice/care. Sonic 4 had annoying oddities that were immediately noticeable.

Generations has it's issues, but I think it's pretty silly to say Sonic 4 does a better job.

qq more

You can't even choose to play as Tails?! It's DKCR all over again. :(

I'm gonna go hug my copy of S3&K and tell it how much it means to me.

Seriously, what is with Sega and Dimps on Sonic 4 in general? Sonic 4 is such a huge unnecessary stepback from the Genesis games.

Vidiot

At least that was based on some uncut gameplay footage. All we have now is a bunch of spastic cuts of gameplay with Sonic zipping and boosting about. There's almost nothing in that trailer to discern any solid conclusion with regards to the physics.

I'm no expert but the part that really sticks out to me is when Sonic and Tails are rolling up an incline and they jump and then shoot a thousand feet into the air. That was something that happened in EP 1 a lot. You didn't even have to be going all that fast. Just jump at a incline and Sonic would do a super moon jump. I don't remember anything like that ever happening in the classics. Again I'm no expert though.

J@hranimo

Banned

Funny isn't it? I'm only saying this because when Episode 1 came out I only had a Wii and had no way to try the game without actually getting it. Not too long after I got it I realized it was shit >_>.

Since then I got a 360 and now I realize I can play a demo of it! So no skin off my bones (and wasted money, stupid $15 price) if it is still crappy.

I dunno about that "hatrick" of Sonic games. For me it will take a few more years of solid Sonic games for me to agree with that. All Star Racing doesn't count because it was made by Sumo Digital and they do a good job with their games unlike Dimps.

RagnarokX

I'm no expert but the part that really sticks out to me is when Sonic and Tails are rolling up an incline and they jump and then shoot a thousand feet into the air. That was something that happened in EP 1 a lot. You didn't even have to be going all that fast. Just jump at a incline and Sonic would do a super moon jump. I don't remember anything like that ever happening in the classics. Again I'm no expert though.

You misunderstand. In the 69 attack Sonic and Tails greedily spin faster and faster towards each other's chilidogs, becoming an unstoppable blue and orange ball of "you wanted faster rolling!"

RobbieNick

It has a lot to live up to thanks to Sonic Generations.

No it doesn't. It's a $15 downloadable title. I'm expecting a decent game, not $60 major console experience.

BTW, where's the uncurling and lifebar some have mentioned in the video? I looked over it and could not find it.

No it doesn't. It's a $15 downloadable title. I'm expecting a decent game, not $60 major console experience.

BTW, where's the uncurling and lifebar some have mentioned in the video? I looked over it and could not find it.

it doesn't cost money to get things right, example: physics on slopes, running through walls without rolling...

RobbieNick

it doesn't cost money to get things right, example: physics on slopes, running through walls without rolling...

Looks like Dimps isn't gonna "fix" that anytime soon as they just think that's okay. I don't get it either. They need to at least show some sort of speed force on him to justify it. Besides, there's always gonna be something someone doesn't like about it. They just need to deal with it.

Anyway, all the complaining isn't gonna matter in the end. Just like 4-1, it will get above average review scores and sell millions. Hell, I never had that big a problem with the first game. The physics were different, but did not make the game unplayable. As a regular platform game, it was still above average. It's the bosses and music I didn't care for.

clav

Looks like Dimps isn't gonna "fix" that anytime soon as they just think that's okay. I don't get it either. They need to at least show some sort of speed force on him to justify it. Besides, there's always gonna be something someone doesn't like about it. They just need to deal with it.

Anyway, all the complaining isn't gonna matter in the end. Just like 4-1, it will get above average review scores and sell millions. Hell, I never had that big a problem with the first game. The physics were different, but did not make the game unplayable. As a regular platform game, it was still above average. It's the bosses and music I didn't care for.

Really? If the game is just like the first game, then that game design was done intentionally.

In other words, this sequel would be a cruel joke.

If you tell someone not to do something, and he/she goes does it, that's done on purpose equivalent to a big middle finger.

Good companies listen to their customers. Bad ones do not.

In case anyone is interested, I found a slow-mo version of the trailer to take a look at the details.

Points of interest I haven't really seen mentioned yet:

-Sonic has got a weird animation when bumped by springs at 2:28

-He clearly uncurls while running though the loop at 3:50

-He can apparently push or knock stuff over at 2:00 (onto a booster, no less. Too bad that's not some sort of statement.)

0 HP

Really? If the game is just like the first game, then that game design was done intentionally.

In other words, this sequel would be a cruel joke.

If you tell someone not to do something, and he/she goes does it, that's done on purpose equivalent to a big middle finger.

Good companies listen to their customers. Bad ones do not.

Why would a good company listen to creative input from the fans?

Anth0ny

Megaman 9 was $10 and is one of my top 10 games of this generation.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Are there people out there who actually like the homing attack? Why do they keep putting it in the 2D games? Or any of the games, really, but let's not get crazy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seriously, what is with Sega and Dimps on Sonic 4 in general? Sonic 4 is such a huge unnecessary stepback from the Genesis games.
And Dimps was doing somewhat well with Sonic Generations 3DS... well, in terms of Classic Sonic's physics, anyway.

Can't believe you can't play as Tails. wtf.

wrowa said:
Something about the visuals makes me want to puke.
Is it because they seem a little... busy?

Are there people out there who actually like the homing attack? Why do they keep putting it in the 2D games? Or any of the games, really, but let's not get crazy.
Homing attack works in games where the level design facilitates it, like Sonic Generations or Sonic Colours, for example.

Here? springs springs springs springs springs springs springs oh god i am drowning in them. The level design seems a little better than Episode 1's, but not by much.

RagnarokX

In case anyone is interested, I found a slow-mo version of the trailer to take a look at the details.

Points of interest I haven't really seen mentioned yet:

-Sonic has got a weird animation when bumped by springs at 2:28

-He clearly uncurls while running though the loop at 3:50

-He can apparently push or knock stuff over at 2:00 (onto a booster, no less. Too bad that's not some sort of statement.)

Springs can bounce you into the background.

Sonic seems to do a weird attack where he throws Tails across the screen.

Grasshopper badniks from Marble Garden Zone.

The new spring bounce animation looks really stupid.

You'd think by now, Dimps would figure out how to get that road runner inspired run animation to look right in 3D. But yeah, it looks off.
They couldn't even make it look good in 2D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nspze2-BHdk#t=1m57s

Top Bottom