• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Wichu
(02-24-2012, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Combine

Ok, the one big thing I really didn't like (and I'm glad I didn't rush ahead) was the fact that...

MAJOR SPOILERS

The entire Mechonis aside from the Fallen Arm becomes unreachable after beating Egil. I don't think they telegraphed that part well so if you didn't do certain sidequests before then you were of course, out of luck (especially up at Agniratha). Also disappointed they didn't design a scenario to return to the ruins of the Mechonis (you can see the huge remains in the distance) somehow.

But yeah, other than that still enjoying myself and about to hit the 100 hour mark.

I'm personally disappointed that you don't get Meyneth and Zanza's weapons at any point. They would have made a nice reward for beating the game though the Monado III is cool I guess
Starwolf_UK
(02-24-2012, 11:11 PM)
Off topic but kind of worth knowing. Results from search within this thread don't obey the spoiler tag (or any other BB code really).

Originally Posted by Wichu

I'm personally disappointed that you don't get Meyneth and Zanza's weapons at any point. They would have made a nice reward for beating the game though the Monado III is cool I guess

Interestingly enough (this was mentioned a few pages back) there is Meyneth's Monado (or Meyneth Modado as its translated) in-game. The Japanese data page (this site) says "Battle for the event" in the comments field (for unused weapons it has more straightforward comments) which I guess means it was equipped for the 7th vs. Zanza fight or planned to be (weapon I had on 7th at the time seemed to have its gems removed after the battle...but I was not paying enough attention to the weapon model to check if I was using a different weapon) or used as a cutscene model. Looks like this Its attack is 340-400 (average 375), fixed gems (I think its unbeatable VI, Damage heal VI and Arts Heal VI; might only be unbeatable VI only in EU version). Given I was not getting Arts heal in that fight it might not have been equipped at all but the gem configuration and Zanza being a rather low level (masked behind the ??) point towards a battle you can't lose (given its at the start of that chapter, it would be bad if players could stuck there, then again maybe nobody ever lost).
Wichu
(02-24-2012, 11:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Starwolf_UK

Off topic but kind of worth knowing. Results from search within this thread don't obey the spoiler tag (or any other BB code really).

Interestingly enough (this was mentioned a few pages back) there is Meyneth's Monado (or Meyneth Modado as its translated) in-game. The Japanese data page (this site) says "Battle for the event" in the comments field (for unused weapons it has more straightforward comments) which I guess means it was equipped for the 7th vs. Zanza fight or planned to be (weapon I had on 7th at the time seemed to have its gems removed after the battle...but I was not paying enough attention to the weapon model to check if I was using a different weapon) or used as a cutscene model. Looks like this Its attack is 340-400 (average 375), fixed gems (I think its unbeatable VI, Damage heal VI and Arts Heal VI; might only be unbeatable VI only in EU version). Given I was not getting Arts heal in that fight it might not have been equipped at all but the gem configuration and Zanza being a rather low level (masked behind the ??) point towards a battle you can't lose (given its at the start of that chapter, it would be bad if players could stuck there, then again maybe nobody ever lost).

That's pretty cool. Too bad it wasn't available in the final game :(
Ultratech
(02-25-2012, 12:09 AM)

Pretty sure you can check on it since I think you get a Party Change notification prior to that particular fight, so you can go into the Menu and look at it, but you can't change it out. The weapon's gem abilities sound about right from what I remember. Too bad you don't get it outside of that particular fight.
Starwolf_UK
(02-28-2012, 12:11 AM)
Going on with the late-game spoilers discussed above I just found a video. Pretty clear in the fight and cutscene that indeed is the Meyneth Modado. I wonder if others are like me in completely failing to notice that...(I assumed the Meyneth Monado was kind of all that was left of her body after taking the attack; not that they were being used in the prior battle)
Utako
Banned
(02-28-2012, 05:28 AM)
This game has so many connections to Xenogears that all the horrible, poisonous MMO elements are forgiven (I hate myself a little for doing nearly all the sidequests).

One thing: I just wish that we were eventually enabled to (safely) pilot Faced Mechons, either in battle or otherwise. It's a terrific plot element, but I wanted to indulge in that aspect more deeply.
B.K.
(02-28-2012, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Utako

This game has so many connections to Xenogears that all the horrible, poisonous MMO elements are forgiven (I hate myself a little for doing nearly all the sidequests).

The game has NO connection to Xenogears.
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician
(02-28-2012, 05:28 PM)
So I finally find myself with time to continue this game. So I go off on the quest to save the worker in the Aerith Sea or however its spelled.

"Hm, four lv36 enemies" I think to myself, "that should be manageable". Half an hour and a half dozen attempts later, FUCK YOU GAME. Four enemies, each of which can both bind me in place AND bind me out of my arts, leaving me with absolutely nothing to do while they wail on me and my party, cutting us to shreds while I stand there unable to do anything. THIS IS NOT FUN!
SecretMoblin
(02-28-2012, 05:39 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Technomancer

So I finally find myself with time to continue this game. So I go off on the quest to save the worker in the Aerith Sea or however its spelled.

"Hm, four lv36 enemies" I think to myself, "that should be manageable". Half an hour and a half dozen attempts later, FUCK YOU GAME. Four enemies, each of which can both bind me in place AND bind me out of my arts, leaving me with absolutely nothing to do while they wail on me and my party, cutting us to shreds while I stand there unable to do anything. THIS IS NOT FUN!

What level are you? One of the negatives about the game (in my opinion, at least) is the massive importance leveling has on your ability to fight. A single level can make the difference between a fight being nigh impossible and relatively easy, all because of numbers you can't affect otherwise.
nan0
(02-28-2012, 06:47 PM)

Are these Kromars? Equip Anti Art Seal gems if you have any OR try to lure them one by one. I remember these, they were annoying, but manageable. Remember that your healer has an Anti-Debuff shot.
flyover
(02-28-2012, 09:14 PM)

Originally Posted by B.K.

The game has NO connection to Xenogears.

How can chu be so chure?

Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(02-29-2012, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by flyover

How can chu be so chure?

Literally LOL, that's awesome!

That IS a fucking photoshop... right?
SecretMoblin
(03-01-2012, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Adam Prime

That IS a fucking photoshop... right?

Yes.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-01-2012, 04:06 AM)
My copy is arriving on Friday. Anything to know on the first start up? Is it worth investing in a classic controller for this game, or is the wiimote +nunchuck more than suffcient?
SecretMoblin
(03-01-2012, 04:31 AM)

My copy is arriving on Friday. Anything to know on the first start up? Is it worth investing in a classic controller for this game, or is the wiimote +nunchuck more than suffcient?

chaosblade compiled and wrote up a great FAQ earlier, which you can read here. The most important things for new players:

Originally Posted by chaosblade

I'm tired of having to wait around for NPCs to appear so I can talk to them, can I break into their houses and force them to talk?

Well, no, but you can change the time of day and meet with them whenever you want. In the second menu from the right, you can select the clock and pick an hour.

I'm also tired of having to run alllll the way back through dungeons and huge areas to Colony 9. When do I get the airship?

No airship travel unfortunately, but you can warp to any previously visited landmark instantly. By pressing the minus button you can select a landmark from the current area, and by selecting the full map from the menu, you can go to any landmark you've found from any area you've visited.

What do you get for doing all the side quests? Because they never seem to end!

There's an achievement for that. But the reward you may not want is that you'll end up overleveled if you do them all as soon as possible. Unless you want to be able to breeze through all the enemies in the game, including most bosses, you're best off just taking on quests as you come across them rather than seeking them out.

On the other hand, if you're ever feeling underleveled doing quests in the most recent areas you've visted is a great way to level up, much faster and often easier than grinding by battling enemies.

No! I'm a completionist! I have to do every single quest!

Well, good luck then! There are nearly 500 side quests, and some of them are exclusive to one another and are only available depending on the outcome you choose during another quest.

Oh my god! Some quests have time limits? How do I know how long I have to complete them? Will I be able to start it again if time runs out? Now I'm all stressed out!

There are only a few points where timed side quests end or areas end up off limits (points of no return, basically). Each time one is coming up, you'll be greeted with a question asking if you're sure you want to continue, or if you want to travel to a new area. In most cases when these pop up, it's a good idea to take care of any unfinished business like timed side quests. If you miss out on a timed quest, there is no way to go back and do it until you start a new game.

The mote'n'chuck are perfectly sufficient to play the game and many prefer it, but camera controls are annoying (to me, anyways) and lots of people prefer to have the Classic Controller Pro.
chaosblade
(03-01-2012, 04:42 AM)
Yeah, I need to go back and finish those last two questions. And probably add that controller question in too since it does come up a lot.
The Technomancer
(03-01-2012, 06:16 AM)
Man, I have no idea what the fuck has been happening in the story for the last two hours. I mean, okay, the message that Melia received in the tomb about the long term genetic experiment that was cool, and hinting at something neat. But I have no clue whats going on with the assassins and Melia's mother and all the High Entia politics
flyover
(03-01-2012, 06:18 AM)

I vastly preferred the classic controller, but this was my first Wii game, besides Wii Sports.
vanty
(03-01-2012, 06:29 AM)

No airship travel unfortunately, but you can warp to any previously visited landmark instantly. By pressing the minus button you can select a landmark from the current area, and by selecting the full map from the menu, you can go to any landmark you've found from any area you've visited.

Blew my mind when I figured this out. For like the first 15 hours of the game I'd been warping to the entrance/exit of each area, running through it, then repeat until I get to my location. Hadn't even selected Maps from the menu until then.

It's an awesome quick travel system.
nan0
(03-01-2012, 11:57 AM)

Man, I have no idea what the fuck has been happening in the story for the last two hours. I mean, okay, the message that Melia received in the tomb about the long term genetic experiment that was cool, and hinting at something neat. But I have no clue whats going on with the assassins and Melia's mother and all the High Entia politics

I guess that will all unwire in the late game. I'm currently in the machina captial, and there were only some slight hints regarding to the things you mentioned.
McNum
(03-01-2012, 01:45 PM)

Ooh, I'm not going to tell you, but rest assured. It will be answered. It will be answered thoroughly. But it'd be a major spoiler to go into details on how.
The Technomancer
(03-01-2012, 03:00 PM)
God, shut up Reyn! Almost all of the annoying "happy group dynamic/lackadaisical character" dialogue either comes out of his mouth or revolves around him.

Also, anyone else think that the High Entia guards look like Quarians from Mass Effect?
chaosblade
(03-01-2012, 04:27 PM)
Alright, FAQ updated. Feel free to post an edit, suggestion, or whatever.
B.K.
(03-01-2012, 11:40 PM)

But I have no clue whats going on with the assassins and Melia's mother and all the High Entia politics

You don't have to worry about that. That gets dropped pretty soon.
Almond
(03-02-2012, 02:12 AM)
I have a question about a sidequest at Valak Mountain.

I'm looking for Three Sage Summit. Am I supposed to use that ice ramp by Serik Waterfall to get to that upper pool? Is that where I need to go? Because I keep landing in the lower, bigger one.
SecretMoblin
(03-02-2012, 02:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Almond

I have a question about a sidequest at Valak Mountain.

I'm looking for Three Sage Summit. Am I supposed to use that ice ramp by Serik Waterfall to get to that upper pool? Is that where I need to go? Because I keep landing in the lower, bigger one.

Yes. Equip any Quick Step gems you have to your fastest character (probably Riki), and time it right. You should be able to hit a climbable wall and climb up.
Nezumi
(03-02-2012, 02:44 PM)
What do I have to do to get the "Legend of the mythical empress" quest. It just won't appear. I cleared the quest from Pachipa "And it does exist" or so (Playing the game in german, so I'm not sure about the name). I have five stars everywhere exept Colony 6 which I have fully leveled exept for the Lvl. 99 monster I have to kill. Did I mess this up somehow? Was there a bad outcome for the quest from Pachipa... And yes I talked to everyone involved in those quests time and time again. Nothing happens.

And also Don Argentis doesn't give me the quest for Sharla's last skilltree... but maybe that just takes a while after finishing the other two quests...
The Technomancer
(03-02-2012, 04:43 PM)
Okay, just visited Prison Island the story is definitely picking up. Definitely some unanswered questions though. Fiora was just an ordinary person, why is she now a big shot in the Mechon and why does she know Zansa? And, on that note, if the Bionis and Mechonis froze in place ages before life developed then how could Zansa "defeat" the Mechonis unless they're going with the "Zansa is the spirit of the Bionis" or something
SecretMoblin
(03-02-2012, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Nezumi

What do I have to do to get the "Legend of the mythical empress" quest. It just won't appear. I cleared the quest from Pachipa "And it does exist" or so (Playing the game in german, so I'm not sure about the name). I have five stars everywhere exept Colony 6 which I have fully leveled exept for the Lvl. 99 monster I have to kill. Did I mess this up somehow? Was there a bad outcome for the quest from Pachipa... And yes I talked to everyone involved in those quests time and time again. Nothing happens.

And also Don Argentis doesn't give me the quest for Sharla's last skilltree... but maybe that just takes a while after finishing the other two quests...

For the first quest, I'm not really sure what's wrong. The spreadsheet (spoilers warning) lists the only requirements as being the completion of It Definitely Exists and having C6 be more than 3 stars. Then, all you should have to do is talk to Pachipa. The spreadsheet suggests talking to him at 11AM or 12PM, so try that. If it doesn't work, I have no clue. :|

For the second part, make sure you've migrated Peppino and Zel Argentis or Oleksiy and En Argentis. One of the couples need to be in Colony 6 for Don Argentis to give you the quest. Also, you need to have completed Family Secrets/Betrothal Test.

Okay, just visited Prison Island the story is definitely picking up. Definitely some unanswered questions though. Fiora was just an ordinary person, why is she now a big shot in the Mechon and why does she know Zansa? And, on that note, if the Bionis and Mechonis froze in place ages before life developed then how could Zansa "defeat" the Mechonis unless they're going with the "Zansa is the spirit of the Bionis" or something

Those questions are answered, and then some. They both deal with major elements of the plot and backstory.
The Technomancer
(03-03-2012, 12:55 AM)
Reyn volunteering to be an ambassador? Sure, yeah, go ahead. Wait...wait, no, no don't go Melia, no. Take Reyn! Take Reyn and leave Melia with me!

EDIT: Oh, that worked out I guess
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(03-03-2012, 01:07 AM)

Yeah, I thought Eryth Sea was really slow in terms of story, but never really felt that prior, or after in Xenoblade. Most people loved Eryth Sea however.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-03-2012, 01:08 AM)
Hey yall, quick question or more like speculation:

I'm going to start playing my PAL version today, but I still want to purchase the NA version in a month. Is there any precedent for being able to convert the save file from PAL > NA and continue playing? Or are the save files pretty locked and impossible to edit regions?

I know on PSP I was able to do something similar with the save files, but I don't know how it works on the Wii.
lunchtoast
(03-03-2012, 05:14 AM)
Just gave up trying to beat the final boss. I'm lvl 75 and couldn't do it trying multiple parties. The AI is pretty terrible and they never do what they're supposed to be doing. Now I have to do all that shit all over again after I level up some more. ugh, just want this game to be over with.
zroid
(03-03-2012, 07:38 AM)
One... more... month...
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-03-2012, 09:00 AM)
Just started the game for the first time and played four hours. What a start. I just played up until Fiora dies and I honestly didn't expect that.

This game's story has definitely hooked me right from the beginning. Already love it!
SecretMoblin
(03-03-2012, 11:24 AM)

Just started the game for the first time and played four hours. What a start. I just played up until Fiora dies and I honestly didn't expect that.

This game's story has definitely hooked me right from the beginning. Already love it!

If you managed to avoid that spoiler all this time, you're in for treats throughout the game.
Starwolf_UK
(03-03-2012, 12:12 PM)

Hey yall, quick question or more like speculation:

I'm going to start playing my PAL version today, but I still want to purchase the NA version in a month. Is there any precedent for being able to convert the save file from PAL > NA and continue playing? Or are the save files pretty locked and impossible to edit regions?

I know on PSP I was able to do something similar with the save files, but I don't know how it works on the Wii.

In theory there should be. Without unencrypted dumps of the European and US save files (various homebrew does this) in question though, nothing can be done yet but when it is done it should be a case of copying a file in a directory and overwriting a different file in another directory. Depends on if NOA do anything stupid to the save structure (they shouldn't as I can't think of there being any need to).

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

Just gave up trying to beat the final boss. I'm lvl 75 and couldn't do it trying multiple parties. The AI is pretty terrible and they never do what they're supposed to be doing. Now I have to do all that shit all over again after I level up some more. ugh, just want this game to be over with.

If you're playing an imported version and/or using homebrew I'd almost contemplate using some Ocarina codes at this point...just remember to keep a backup save in case it glitches on you.

Most people beat the final boss about level 80.
Last edited by Starwolf_UK; 03-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-03-2012, 04:13 PM)

In theory there should be. Without unencrypted dumps of the European and US save files (various homebrew does this) in question though, nothing can be done yet but when it is done it should be a case of copying a file in a directory and overwriting a different file in another directory. Depends on if NOA do anything stupid to the save structure (they shouldn't as I can't think of there being any need to).

Well that's cool, I guess we'll know in a month.

I JUST NOW understood the OT tag line. Hilarious, I was like WTF when I heard that for the first time.
chaosblade
(03-03-2012, 04:40 PM)

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

I'm not even sure how you got to the final boss at that level, guessing you just blasted through the last couple areas in a race to the finish? Pretty sure you need to be at least 78 or so to have a good chance at winning that fight. I think I was 78 or 79 and beat it without any trouble.
lunchtoast
(03-03-2012, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by chaosblade

I'm not even sure how you got to the final boss at that level, guessing you just blasted through the last couple areas in a race to the finish? Pretty sure you need to be at least 78 or so to have a good chance at winning that fight. I think I was 78 or 79 and beat it without any trouble.

Just the last section I blasted through. Most of the game I did lots of quests. Just being at 70+ hours and haven't beat the game I'm getting burnt out on it and just want to beat it and move on. That also explains why Shulk keeps missing on the final boss, haha.

Starwolf-Thanks, I didn't even think to use Orcarina.
lunchtoast
(03-03-2012, 10:17 PM)
Well that was an interesting ending. At first I thought they just decided to use the same planets as our system, but glad there was a reason behind it. Now if they could only make a game just like this, except in the one piece world.
Liferebooted
(03-03-2012, 10:21 PM)
I've never read anything about this game because I thought it would never make it to the USA. Does this have anything to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga or does it just share the same name? I just don't wanna have to finish Xenosaga 3 first....
chaosblade
(03-03-2012, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Liferebooted

I've never read anything about this game because I thought it would never make it to the USA. Does this have anything to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga or does it just share the same name? I just don't wanna have to finish Xenosaga 3 first....

Entirely unrelated.
Adam Prime
hates soccer, is Mexican
(03-04-2012, 05:49 AM)
Two questions: Affinity coins, WTF are these? I must be blind but the game hasn't explained to me a damn thing about them. And Gem Crafting, WTF I had no idea what was going on the first time I did it. Maybe I'm an idiot but that whole thing was poorly explained.

... and also, there's a "Story Quest Info" thing at the top of my screen that won't go away. I've pressed Menu and Z to read the little info on what's happening next in the story, it still won't go away at the top of my screen.

Thanks in advance for anyone who answers my noob-ass questions. :)
lunchtoast
(03-04-2012, 05:52 AM)

Two questions: Affinity coins, WTF are these? I must be blind but the game hasn't explained to me a damn thing about them. And Gem Crafting, WTF I had no idea what was going on the first time I did it. Maybe I'm an idiot but that whole thing was poorly explained.

... and also, there's a "Story Quest Info" thing at the top of my screen that won't go away. I've pressed Menu and Z to read the little info on what's happening next in the story, it still won't go away at the top of my screen.

Thanks in advance for anyone who answers my noob-ass questions. :)

Affinity coins are used for Skill links. On your skill page press select and you can equip skills from other characters.

Gem crafting just pair two people together who have a good bromance. Everything else is out of your hand, just hold down A to speed it up. I don't think the story quest info thing goes away until you reach the next checkpoint or whatever.
VanillaCakeIsBurning
(03-04-2012, 06:27 AM)

Reyn volunteering to be an ambassador? Sure, yeah, go ahead. Wait...wait, no, no don't go Melia, no. Take Reyn! Take Reyn and leave Melia with me!

EDIT: Oh, that worked out I guess

Hasn't been posted on this page yet :p
Almond
(03-04-2012, 06:30 AM)

Originally Posted by SecretMoblin

Yes. Equip any Quick Step gems you have to your fastest character (probably Riki), and time it right. You should be able to hit a climbable wall and climb up.

Thanks. Is there a certain percentage I have to equip? I got up to 24% and barely made it any farther. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
SecretMoblin
(03-04-2012, 06:38 AM)

Thanks. Is there a certain percentage I have to equip? I got up to 24% and barely made it any farther. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I'm almost certain 25% is the max, so 24% is more than enough. Try jumping at different times. It sucks, but once you get up there there's a landmark you can activate (if you're very careful) so you don't have to go through the process again.
Zornica
(03-04-2012, 10:38 AM)

And Gem Crafting, WTF I had no idea what was going on the first time I did it. Maybe I'm an idiot but that whole thing was poorly explained.

gem crafting guide
that story quest note on the top indicates that the story will continue in the next area. It won't go away unless you move on.

You got to jump at the very last moment.
Oxx
(03-04-2012, 10:43 AM)
It took me a few attempts to nail the jump. I actually watched a YouTube video to make sure I was doing it right.