• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.. I'm about to go to bed, then wake-up, and then drive deep into the middle of nowhere for the weekend (i.e., visiting in-laws in the middle of squeal-like-a-pig Mississippi).

Before I go, a question to all:
if you were given a gift - one item of information about the Wii U, be it an internal component, a launch title, the planned launch date, the pricing, etc... what would that one item be?

The specs for the GPU.

So only 9 days till GDC... cannot wait. The prospects of Nintendo revealing new information, no matter how small, has me buzzing.

They're doing it right with the hype - saving the majority of info till E3 guarantees a gigantic explosion of excitement for a console largely shrouded in mystery.

The idea that Crytek is partnering with nintendo in some way, too, get's me excited. Can't wait to see what they're doing...
Maybe that's why Nintendo don't have a particularly significant presence this years, apart from the massive booth - maybe they're letting third parties show off the system for once, to augment their support for developers? Then everything Nintendo related is saved for E3...

Roo

So only 4 days till GDC... cannot wait. The prospects of Nintendo revealing new information, no matter how small, has me buzzing.

They're doing it right with the hype - saving the majority of info till E3 guarantees a gigantic explosion of excitement for a console largely shrouded in mystery.

The idea that Crytek is partnering with nintendo in some way, too, get's me excited. Can't wait to see what they're doing...
Maybe that's why Nintendo don't have a particularly significant presence this years, apart from the massive booth - maybe they're letting third parties show off the system for once, to augment their support for developers? Then everything Nintendo related is saved for E3...

Ehhh... no. 9, actually
unless you know something =P
but indeed, I think they're throwing the house out if the window this E3
btw, I saw that Nintendo Network image again and it says "Introduction of Personal Accounts for the Wii U"
maybe it's a dumb question, but does that mean the friend codes are a myth now?
If so, OMG!! =0

royalan

So only 4 days till GDC... cannot wait. The prospects of Nintendo revealing new information, no matter how small, has me buzzing.

I agree, but the bolded is starting to have me seriously worried when it comes to 3rd Party multiplatform titles. These games aren't just standing still waiting for Nintendo; they're being hyped and gaining mindshare (and preorders) on other consoles. If Nintendo continues to keep everything secret, their 3rd party games are going to be launching to a serious mindshare disadvantage.

I really think Nintendo needs to start letting devs talk about their Wii U games, at least the ones we know are coming. Hopefully, Nintendo details whatever hardware secrets remain at GDC so they can ease up on the leash a bit...

So only 9 days till GDC... cannot wait. The prospects of Nintendo revealing new information, no matter how small, has me buzzing.

Did I miss something?

Ehhh... no. 9, actually
unless you know something =P
but indeed, I think they're throwing the house out if the window this E3
btw, I saw that Nintendo Network image again and it says "Introduction of Personal Accounts for the Wii U"
maybe it's a dumb question, but does that mean the friend codes are a myth now?
If so, OMG!! =0

Ah shit yeah, you're right. Went on the website and blindly copied the countdown... for online registration :p

And not necessarily - it just means accounts per person on the machine, like how different users can sign into PSN/XBL. It may be that friend codes are still tied to those accounts...

I agree, but the bolded is starting to have me seriously worried when it comes to 3rd Party multiplatform titles. These games aren't just standing still waiting for Nintendo; they're being hyped and gaining mindshare (and preorders) on other consoles. If Nintendo continues to keep everything secret, their 3rd party games are going to be launching to a serious mindshare disadvantage.

I really think Nintendo needs to start letting devs talk about their Wii U games, at least the ones we know are coming. Hopefully, Nintendo details whatever hardware secrets remain at GDC so they can ease up on the leash a bit...

Where'd my reply go? :( Anyway, I wrote:
Hopefully at GDC Nintendo reveal whatever it is that's stopping devs from announcing anything about the system. Maybe it's an imminent name change or the first first party title, so that after they release this info the gate can be lifted and devs can start talking to us again.

Did I miss something?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35414349&postcount=10310

Also, what happened to guek and ShockingAlberto?

Hopefully at GDC they announce something that lifts this ridiculous gate that's been in place for the past months, that's prevented devs form saying anything.
Maybe it's a name change, or maybe it's the first first party title announcement - so after they get this info out the way, 3rd party devs can finally start speaking to us again.

Roo

Ah shit yeah, you're right. Went on the website and blindly copied the countdown... for online registration :p

And not necessarily - it just means accounts per person on the machine, like how different users can sign into PSN/XBL. It may be that friend codes are still tied to those accounts...
Ohhh man...
what a letdown =(
They need to ditch that asap!

Also, what happened to guek and ShockingAlberto?

I don't know about ShockingAlberto
but I think Guek got banned because of that Pachter thread. Not sure tho.

Guek got banned for blatant flaming in the Pachter thread.

The Alberto ban seems a bit harsh, but it's probably a short one.

As for the Crytek demo, I'm still putting money on it being TS4.

I'd also not count on FC's returning. Maybe even them doing away with them on the 3DS eventually. But that's more of a hunch.

It'd be great if it was TS4... it really would.

Oh, and looking at the GDC talk schedule, these two stood out:

KOICHI HAYASHIDA Game Director Nintendo

Thinking In 3D: The Development of Super Mario 3D Land
Game Design

STEVE RABIN Principal Software Engineer Nintendo of America

Existential Crisis: Do We Really Need AI?
AI Summit

I know this has already been noted, but any chance these could lead to Nintendo's approach to new game design? Maybe in these talks we'll get to see some ideas that nintendo are pursuing at the moment. it'll be interesting to hear from these two.

Alternatively, Crytek do have sessions, but only for audio elements in games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Before I go, a question to all:
if you were given a gift - one item of information about the Wii U, be it an internal component, a launch title, the planned launch date, the pricing, etc... what would that one item be?
A copy of the friggin SDK, what else?

The first will probably showcase the new Mario (if it showcases anything...).
The second...
No clue.
Nintendo has never been big on AI (and, honestly, I can't blame them since it's so poorly used in pretty much everything).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully at GDC they announce something that lifts this ridiculous gate that's been in place for the past months, that's prevented devs form saying anything. Maybe it's a name change, or maybe it's the first first party title announcement - so after they get this info out the way, 3rd party devs can finally start speaking to us again.
As Game Developers Conference is largely a, hence the name, developer event, wouldn't the most sensible thing be for Nintendo to release white papers on Wii U's technical specifications, or on the API (or at least ABI) for the system. I wonder how Nintendo will combat libgcm/PSGL and "DirectX" and whatever API respective next generation system from Microsoft and Sony will use. Maybe the API for Wii U is something really special and one of the features Nintendo has been waiting to release information about. Though what could it be then, a way to directly have access to point cloud data without surface reconstruction or perhaps some effective way of using LIDAR, who knows?

Rösti;35465815 said:
As Game Developers Conference is largely a, hence the name, developer event, wouldn't the most sensible thing be for Nintendo to release white papers on Wii U's technical specifications, or on the API (or at least ABI) for the system. I wonder how Nintendo will combat libgcm/PSGL and "DirectX" and whatever API respective next generation system from Microsoft and Sony will use. Maybe the API for Wii U is something really special and one of the features Nintendo has been waiting to release information about. Though what could it be then, a way to directly have access to point cloud data without surface reconstruction or perhaps some effective way of using LIDAR, who knows?

This would indeed be interesting, though Nintendo are usually reluctant o release spec sheets or details of their API to the public. Who knows, maybe this time they'll be keen ons showing us what this system can really do.

I'm also pondering over this 'one unannounced feature' thing that they apparently have up their sleeves... though my guess is that we won't get to hear about that until E3.

D_prOdigy

I'm also pondering over this 'one unannounced feature' thing that they apparently have up their sleeves... though my guess is that we won't get to hear about that until E3.

I was under the impression that was more of a flippant side-remark that didn't necessarily (thus probably did not, if we're having healthy scepticism) pertain to anything major. NFC might have been that cool little feature that wasn't revealed at E3, for instance.

Bagu

So once Nintendo starts rolling out the NCG VC and assuming they’ve got multiple uTablets working on a one system, does anyone think they might put in the extra effort to use the new controllers in place of the GBA for games that used it? I couldn't get the full FSA experience because my friends were jerks without Gameboys.

aeroslash

They use a low detail model for animations, then copy the animations to a high detail model the workstations can't handle in realtime (usually NURBS or SubDs).

That's not true at all. Polygon based modeling and nurbs based modelling are two pretty different techniques and usually not easy to change from one to the other. In fact, i really don't know of any cg company using nurbs for the characters. They are polygonal models very subdivided, that's all.

Nibel

TS4 is quite plausible.

Also, the paragraph about the devkits is interesting - it seems logical from my perspective, but then again I'm a tech noob and the presented information is a rumor.

jimi_dini

Timesplitters 4

q0ajwl.jpg

TS4 is quite plausible.

Also, the paragraph about the devkits is interesting - it seems logical from my perspective, but then again I'm a tech noob and the presented information is a rumor.

I found it odd that he repeated the same line three times in a row.

Nibel

I found it odd that he repeated the same line three times in a row.

Yeah; I guess he basically wants to say that the first devkits were powerful enough for 360/PS3 ports; later, Nintendo beefed the thing up so that graphic powerhouses like Frostbite 2 (CryEngine?) can run smooth on it.
Where does this new information put Arkam's experience with the Wii U?

Also: Didn't Rösti find something about a 5th or 6th dev kit? I could have sworn I read that somewhere in this thread.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah; I guess he basically wants to say that the first devkits were powerful enough for 360/PS3 ports; later, Nintendo beefed the thing up so that graphic powerhouses like Frostbite 2 (CryEngine?) can run smooth on it.

Also: Didn't Rösti find something about a 5th or 6th dev kit? I could have sworn I read that somewhere in this thread.
I believed from the beginning that arkams company had the first iteration of devkits. That would've explained so much.
Yesterday someone posted info about the 6th but it was a different member

Same place it always was.
Non existent.
He likely hasn't even touched the thing.

And the rumors for a while now have been that it's on it's 5th version (maybe 6th now, though).
Which is pretty normal for dev kits.

The way I saw things (from a completely individual perspective, and considering the information I've heard over the past year):
  • The first dev kits were slightly more powerful than the current generation leaders - and they were the ones used to make the E3 demos.
  • The second revision fixed some Upad problems and added better functionality
  • The third to fourth revisions saw an increase in power/better efficiency, with other lsight alterations.
  • The fifth revision added multiple Upad support.
  • The sixth and seemingly final development kit saw a large and considerable increase in power, following requests from developers. This apparently meant a more capable GPU revision/tweak and a greater amount of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom