• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 08:04 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by D_prOdigy

Yes.

I can't get the thought of Timesplitters 4 Wii U out of my head. It feels so... right.

I wonder if the Haze fiasco Ubisoft suffered has put EA off the idea of essentially loaning Crytek UK out to one platform again. They do seem to be doing the safe old boring route of making multiplat Homefront 2 and nothing else right now.

Maybe an offer of some hands-on assistance from Nintendo would change that...

Oh god, what crazy fanboy babble am I spurting?

I've said it since before E3.
Nintendo securing TS4 as an exclusive would be such a perfect fit for them.
It's light hearted, it's got good multiplayer and it's part of a dead franchise that still has a good following.
Seriou
Nibel
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:06 PM)
Nibel's Avatar
If Pikmin 3 is a launch title, then I will explode.

I just looked through some old Wii U / Project Café threads.. damn, we made such a small progress.. it's incredible. Something interesting I found is this (old news, I know):

Miyamoto is working on Pikmin 3 - but he also stated

Also, I'm still full of energy. Recently, I've been doing a lot of things -- continuing to work hard at swimming, for instance, and also having exchanges with school kids, doing such things a serving on a neighborhood youth guidance committee. I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character. This is as far as I'll answer today.

Could there be a different launch flagship title than Pikmin 3? A new IP tailored for the new controller? He never mentioned this project again since the investor Q&A. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it, but I would love to see what good old Shiggy is capable of in today's crazy world.

What baffles me even more is that 01.net was right with most Nintendo rumors. I could swear Nintendo sent a troop of the best assassins they have after those leaks. They even were right with the controller design!
-Pyromaniac-
(02-25-2012, 08:07 PM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
I still think TS4 is a pipe dream but I will be ultra happy if it comes.
lordfroakie
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:08 PM)
lordfroakie's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

It's not going to launch with all those games.
Some of those could be a year or more out from launch.
Many could also be for the download service.

This. Also dont believe this rumor, could be looking for quick hits.
Oddduck
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:09 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar
Here's an article about OverStrike back in July.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/w...ays-ted-price/
Wolfie5
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:10 PM)
Wolfie5's Avatar

Originally Posted by bgassassin

That's not good. I need to change back then.

Yeah, your blue avatar was better.

Originally Posted by Oddduck

Wii U might be getting Timesplitters 4, Overstrike, and a new Dead Space according to an article on that Nintendo site that begins with a G that is banned on this site and can't be mentioned.

Here's original article: http://game0n.net/2012/02/25/dead-sp...mesplitters-4/

150-200 games in development for Wii U?? Why aren´t there any leaks yet?
Nintendo hired more Ninjas?

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

[*]The sixth and seemingly final development kit saw a large and considerable increase in power, following requests from developers. This apparently meant a more capable GPU revision/tweak and a greater amount of RAM.[/list]

Didn´t someone say some pages ago that a new dev kit was on it´s way, which would be the final one? Or is this the sixth one?
bgassassin
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:11 PM)
bgassassin's Avatar
^ Me, then an article, then wsippel (with a little more info). Talked about it as early as last month. And I'll try the other two I have before maybe going back to blue.

Something else from the article although the writer does say take it with a grain of salt.

My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2.

Sounds like normal development with hardware that we've talked about.
Last edited by bgassassin; 02-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Hiltz
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:12 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nibel

Could there be a different launch flagship title than Pikmin 3? A new IP tailored for the new controller? He never mentioned this project again since the investor Q&A. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it, but I would love to see what good old Shiggy is capable of in today's crazy world.

What baffles me even more is that 01.net was right with most Nintendo rumors. I could swear Nintendo sent a troop of the best assassins they have after those leaks. They even were right with the controller design!

Miyamoto gave that statement back in 2010, right? According to Aonuma, he got involved in the Wii U project/Zelda tech demo roughly 2 years ago. Miyamoto must have been planning to make this original IP concept for the Wii U in mind. Although, it's anyone's guess if it will be released as a launch title.
Last edited by Hiltz; 02-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.
BlackNMild2k1
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:15 PM)
BlackNMild2k1's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage


No idea what Overstrike is.

The E3 trailer had it on my radar on hopeful Wii U list even though it showed no actual gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TNLL5oYwk
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(02-25-2012, 08:16 PM)
EloquentM's Avatar

Originally Posted by bgassassin

^ Me, then an article, then wsippel (with a little more info). Talked about it as early as last month. And I'll try the other two I have before maybe going back to blue.

Something else from the article although the writer does say take it with a grain of salt.



Sounds like normal development with hardware that we've talked about.

so the one that we talked about in early january (that had supposedly reached developers a few weeks prior to that) wasn't the final but the fifth iteration of dev kits?
Gianni Merryman
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:17 PM)
Gianni Merryman's Avatar
When someone speaks generically about 200 games in development - that's quite a bunch at any rate - I think we should take into account many of them will be WiiWare only, and some will remain waporware, so I would realistically lower that 200 by half will make it to release as actual retail games to keep on the safe side.
Last edited by Gianni Merryman; 02-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Oddduck
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:19 PM)
Oddduck's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gianni Merryman

When someone speaks generically about 200 games in development - that's quite a bunch at any rate - I think we should take into account many of them will be WiiWare only, and some will remain waporwarw, so I would realistically lower that 200 by half will make it to release as actual retail games to keep on the safe side.

Good point. A lot of those games could be Wiiware type games.

Although the 150-200 number doesn't seem too far fetched considering how easy a company can just port a bunch of 360/PS3 games over instead of making brand new Wii U games from scratch.
bgassassin
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:19 PM)
bgassassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by EloquentM

so the one that we talked about in early january (that had supposedly reached developers a few weeks prior to that) wasn't the final but the fifth iteration of dev kits?

Probably. My guess was that those were either final or near final, so as we get more info the latter seems to be more accurate.
Last edited by bgassassin; 02-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-25-2012, 08:21 PM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

Miyamoto gave that statement back in 2010, right? According to Aonuma, he got involved in the Wii U project/Zelda tech demo roughly 2 years ago. Miyamoto must have been planning to make this original IP concept for the Wii U in mind. Although, it's anyone's guess if it will be released as a launch title.

Probably not a launch title, but I wouldn't rule out launch window. I mean, Pikmin 3 has been in some form of development for the last 3 years; it can't possibly need that much more work.

But I definitely see Miyamoto launching a new mascot this gen, symbolic of their transition to HD. Maybe it'll be their take on a dudebro space marine...nah
Forsaken82
(02-25-2012, 08:23 PM)
Forsaken82's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wolfie5


150-200 games in development for Wii U?? Why aren´t there any leaks yet?
Nintendo hired more Ninjas?

People like there jobs. That is the excuse I use :P

I just think it is getting a lot easier to track down the people starting leaks.
onilink88
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:28 PM)
onilink88's Avatar
I've just caught up to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:
Last edited by onilink88; 02-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 08:29 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

I've just caught to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:

Nah, He's only been gone a week from this thread.
Not banned, though.
Alistair Roo
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:35 PM)
Alistair Roo's Avatar

Originally Posted by royalan


But I definitely see Miyamoto launching a new mascot this gen, symbolic of their transition to HD. Maybe it'll be their take on a dudebro space marine...nah

New official Nintendo character for Smash Bros Wii U confirmed! >:D
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 08:39 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alistair Roo

New official Nintendo character for Smash Bros Wii U confirmed! >:D

Dillon is getting a Wii U game?
:D
Actually, that would work pretty well.
Same controls and everything.
Hmmm...
Azure J
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:44 PM)
Azure J's Avatar
I'm beginning to wonder more and more if next gen is going to be more of a re-adjustment generation than a straight balls out "MOAR" generation the more I look at how things are shaping up with the big three's console directions, rumors and hints. Does anyone else feel like while we're going to get impressive stuff, we aren't going to see huge leaps like xbox/ps2 - 360/PS3 just because that jump in and of itself was a huge departure from normal?
Alistair Roo
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:44 PM)
Alistair Roo's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Dillon is getting a Wii U game?
:D
Actually, that would work pretty well.
Same controls and everything.
Hmmm...

I wouldn't mind at all haha
Shiggy
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:44 PM)
Shiggy's Avatar
Original design vs. E3 design:











Alistair Roo
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:46 PM)
Alistair Roo's Avatar
^ I'm expecting a new design next E3
royalan
Lotus Member
(02-25-2012, 08:48 PM)
royalan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiggy

Original design vs. E3 design:


Wait...so the controller originally had proper analog sticks???

EDIT: Oops, read that incorrectly.

Anyway, that plus the right analog stick being to the upper-right of the buttons instead of directly above make this a much, much better design.
Last edited by royalan; 02-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Nibel
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:49 PM)
Nibel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alistair Roo

^ I'm expecting a new design next E3

I agree. Although I must say that I like the uPad in its current form.
bgassassin
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:50 PM)
bgassassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by AzureJericho

I'm beginning to wonder more and more if next gen is going to be more of a re-adjustment generation than a straight balls out "MOAR" generation the more I look at how things are shaping up with the big three's console directions, rumors and hints. Does anyone else feel like while we're going to get impressive stuff, we aren't going to see huge leaps like xbox/ps2 - 360/PS3 just because that jump in and of itself was a huge departure from normal?

I can see something like that. Especially with 1080p being the current "max" target. They aren't shooting for high res like PC.

Originally Posted by Shiggy

Original design vs. E3 design:

Look what you've done.
lwilliams3
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:51 PM)
lwilliams3's Avatar

Originally Posted by bgassassin

^ Me, then an article, then wsippel (with a little more info). Talked about it as early as last month. And I'll try the other two I have before maybe going back to blue.

Something else from the article although the writer does say take it with a grain of salt.



Sounds like normal development with hardware that we've talked about.

It seems like there are several sources now that are saying that the latest kits has a boost in power. Nintendo not knowing how powerful the Wii U during the earlier kits, and them being similar to 360 hardware also does make sense considering the leaks and info we have gathered.
D_prOdigy
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:52 PM)
D_prOdigy's Avatar
Disappointed at the lack of motivation for the traditional Big Ol' 'A' Button™
Wolfie5
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:53 PM)
Wolfie5's Avatar

Originally Posted by Forsaken82

People like there jobs. That is the excuse I use :P

I just think it is getting a lot easier to track down the people starting leaks.

And yet, when things get closer to E3, every year, we pretty much know what Microsoft and especially Sony will show. There are leaks, but when it comes to Nintendo, the leaks are almost non-existent. Microsoft have somewhat improved on containing the leaks, but not as good as Nintendo.

I can get no 1st party stuff, but you would expect something from third party... come to think about it, we did get good rumors(that seemed credible) last year that Nintendo would be releasing a new console, before Wii U was revealed.

I don´t know. Maybe the rumors/leaks will increase as we get closer to E3. Maybe it´s starting now, I mean, that Timesplitters and Dead Space rumor was interesting and I could see that beeing true in the end.

Bring on the rumors/leaks! :)
ReyVGM
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:53 PM)
ReyVGM's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

I've just caught to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:

40 pages in GAF is like 2 days or something.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 08:53 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by D_prOdigy

Disappointed at the lack of motivation for the traditional Big Ol' 'A' Button™

To be fair... it was only traditional on three of their systems (N64, GC, Wii).
Everything else has had the standard uniform buttons.
Übermatik
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:54 PM)
Übermatik's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

I've just caught to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:

He got close to guessing the specs, so the ninjas took him out.

And hm, those design comparisons are interesting. Notable differences are the stand-out analogue sticks and the handle like grips on each side of the controller.
Alistair Roo
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:54 PM)
Alistair Roo's Avatar
Do we know the buttons size?
It would be amazing if we got something like the wiimote (A) button lol
can't help it, big fingers hoho
D_prOdigy
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:55 PM)
D_prOdigy's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

To be fair... it was only traditional on three of their systems (N64, GC, Wii).
Everything else has had the standard uniform buttons.

I am too young to pretend to have been around before then, so I shall just act the snot-nosed, entitled not-quite-90's-but-not-quite-00's kid that I am.
onilink88
Member
(02-25-2012, 08:56 PM)
onilink88's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Nah, He's only been gone a week from this thread.
Not banned, though.

It's only been a week? Well, damn. Sifted through hundreds of posts, so it felt like it was a lot longer than that. Good to know, though. :P

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintendo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.
Last edited by onilink88; 02-26-2012 at 07:00 PM.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 08:56 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

It's only been a week? Well, damn. Sifted through hundreds of posts, so it felt like it was a lot longer than that. Good to know, though. :P

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintedo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.

It's a feature I'd love, especially if games are HUDless.
Dunno if it will happen, but it should.
Übermatik
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:00 PM)
Übermatik's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

It's only been a week? Well, damn. Sifted through hundreds of posts, so it felt like it was a lot longer than that. Good to know, though. :P

Back on topic: what are the chances Nintedo'll implement an OS level screen capture function and/or the ability to record short clips of games? Currently playing Resonance of Fate, and it constantly reminds me how awesome having such features would be.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.

"AceBandage is playing Metroid: Dark Galaxy | watch | join | start video call"

Watching people play their games would be pretty cool.
Hiltz
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:00 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar
Based on the direction Nintendo is going in, its focus seems to be about functionality over graphics. Of course, the change from Wii to Wii U graphics will be a full generational leap anyway.
Last edited by Hiltz; 02-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 09:01 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.



Watching people play their games would be pretty cool.

That's another feature that I'd love, and one that could potentially be a system seller.
I mean, the LP videos are pretty big, and knowing the people you're watching would be even better.
Alistair Roo
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:08 PM)
Alistair Roo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.



Watching people play their games would be pretty cool.

you gave me an idea...
mockup time =D
Gianni Merryman
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:09 PM)
Gianni Merryman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiggy

Original design vs. E3 design:


Did anyobody notice in this one UPad looks like a Nunchank from a side view?
DrWong
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:12 PM)
DrWong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gianni Merryman

Did anyobody notice in this one UPad looks like a Nunchank from a side view?

U-nchunk confirmed ?
Sadist
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:15 PM)
Sadist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wolfie5

I can get no 1st party stuff, but you would expect something from third party... come to think about it, we did get good rumors(that seemed credible) last year that Nintendo would be releasing a new console, before Wii U was revealed.

GameInformer broke the story on the 14th of April last year. Nintendo confirmed the Wii successor on April 25th.
Hiltz
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:19 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar
I never noticed the similarities between the two controllers. Wait. That means Pachter was right after all. This is Wii HD!

Wouldn't it be possible to surf the web on the touch screen controller to say, look up a strategy guide, while playing a game offline on your tv screen?
snowdog1971
Banned
(02-25-2012, 09:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

The way I saw things (from a completely individual perspective, and considering the information I've heard over the past year):

  • The first dev kits were slightly more powerful than the current generation leaders - and they were the ones used to make the E3 demos.
  • The second revision fixed some Upad problems and added better functionality
  • The third to fourth revisions saw an increase in power/better efficiency, with other lsight alterations.
  • The fifth revision added multiple Upad support.
  • The sixth and seemingly final development kit saw a large and considerable increase in power, following requests from developers. This apparently meant a more capable GPU revision/tweak and a greater amount of RAM.

Yup, all echoes my current thinking.

And I still think there's something about the controller that we don't know about yet. Just having a touchscreen on the controller isn't innovative enough imo...there's almost certainly something about it that would set it apart from touchscreens on other devices including iPads, iPhones and the inevitable touchscreens on the 720 and PS4.

My money would be on a haptic touchscreen, it's the only thing I can think of that would increase the cost of the controller to such an extent that Nintendo wouldn't be selling them separately.

We can rule out a built-in Vitality Sensor I think because even if Nintendo managed to get the device to work for everyone you'd need to have it in contact with fingertips to make it work.

Good to hear that there's 150-200 U titles in development, I just hope that third parties are going to market them properly, there were a great deal of good quality Wii games that were stealth-released and deserved much better sales.

I've just been looking at Capcom's support of the Wii and 3DS and think that they'll continue their good support for the U as well. I'm 100% certain that we'll see Resident Evil 6 for the U and would be very surprised if we didn't have a Monster Hunter title of some description announced at this years E3 too. If that is the case then you're looking at the 2 biggest franchises in Japan making an appearance on the U which would guarantee the console's success in the East.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 09:24 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

I never noticed the similarities between the two controllers. Wait. That means Pachter was right after all. This is Wii HD!

Wouldn't it be possible to surf the web on the touch screen controller to say, look up a strategy guide, while playing a game offline on your tv screen?

Don't see why not.
You can on the 3DS.
onilink88
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:28 PM)
onilink88's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

It's a feature I'd love, especially if games are HUDless.
Dunno if it will happen, but it should.

HUDless games, I hadn't even considered that... HUDless Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Universe, TLoZ: Whatever, and so many others would make the exclusion of the aforementioned features a sin.

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not likely. If they did, it's be a sweet, sweet bonus.

Thinking about it a little more as I type this (as I often do), it may tie in with their whole 'if you're friend's stuck help them out' thing they've been banging on about - you know, sending them a screenshot for help maybe?

I like the idea that was rumoured to be featured where a friend could join your game (if you own that title) and help you out/show you the way if you require help... Seeing your friends play games on their TV at home is also an awesome idea, I hope it's implemented well.



Watching people play their games would be pretty cool.

Wait, that's an advertised feature of the Wii U? That's news to me.
Hiltz
Member
(02-25-2012, 09:29 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

Don't see why not.
You can on the 3DS.

I thought so. Then is it possible to play online games streamed to the controller? Iwata said that there is a limitation when it comes to DS to Wii and 3DS to Wii U connectivity because when either one is communicating to the other, internet access isn't allowed unless some "special hardware" is made for it.
Last edited by Hiltz; 02-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.
AceBandage
Banned
(02-25-2012, 09:29 PM)
AceBandage's Avatar

Originally Posted by onilink88

HUDless games, I hadn't even considered that... HUDless Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Universe, TLoZ: Whatever, and so many others would make the exclusion of the aforementioned features a sin.



Wait, that's an advertised feature of the Wii U? That's news to me.

Not advertised, just rumored.

Originally Posted by Hiltz

I thought so. Then how about this. Would it be possible to play online games streamed to the controller?

Iwata said that there is a limitation when it comes to DS to Wii and 3DS to Wii U connectivity because when either one is communicating to the other, internet access isn't allowed unless some "special hardware" is made for it.



I don't see why not.
The wireless tech that the controller will use is completely different from normal WiFi.

Thread Tools