• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Lagrange,’ Anime With Echoes of ‘Evangelion’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

here

Fans of Japanese animation who consider the television shows and feature films of the “Neon Genesis Evangelion” franchise the ne plus ultra of sophisticated giant-robot anime will want to take a look at a new series, “Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne,” that is startlingly similar to “Evangelion” yet completely different in spirit.

For more casual cartoon watchers, or for those curious about the varieties of foreign TV now easily available on the Internet, “Lagrange” is interesting for its mode of distribution: new episodes are posted on Hulu each week simultaneously with their broadcast in Japan. Over the last few years an increasing number of Japanese animated shows have been “simulcast” (sometimes with a lag of a few days) on Web sites like Hulu, the Anime Network, Crackle, Crunchyroll and Funimation, eliminating the wait for DVD sets or reruns on domestic television and creating a virtual Japanese living room for American anime aficionados.

“Lagrange” takes the premise of “Evangelion” – a teenager pressed into service to save the planet because of an affinity with a mysterious, extraterrestrial humanoid fighting robot – and subverts it by changing the hero from a depressed, insecure boy to a cheerful, relentlessly positive, athletic girl.

Click to read the rest.

A gif of the anime in question:

NSFW

NSFW

Jex

Oh Dresden, why must you troll people with such a deceptive title? I suppose you're just mirroring the source.

Jex

Well, after reading that whole article, I can safely say that lots of people may well be deceived. Ah well.

Dresden

It's just odd, on so many levels. My guess would be that it's the one anime he actually watched, and felt reasonably confident about alluding to.

I'm fond of this line.

“Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne,” that is startlingly similar to “Evangelion” yet completely different in spirit.

Jex

If by "startlingly similar" you mean "includes teenagers piloting giant robots" then yes, they are startlingly similar.

So, by that logic, any show where a teenager pilots a robot is similar to Evangelion. I guess that's pretty much every single robot show ever made then!

B.K.

No, it's just a fanservice-heavy mecha show about cute girls doing cute shit on the side.

So there's a lot of fanservice? I guess it's not for me then. I don't like fanservice. Fanservice just seems to be a way for studios to keep people watching their shows when they know they're bad.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So there's a lot of fanservice? I guess it's not for me then. I don't like fanservice. Fanservice just seems to be a way for studios to keep people watching their shows when they know they're bad.

You wouldn't like it, BK

duckroll

Someone post that amazing shot where they managed to fit an ass AND boob fanservice into a single frame using a mirror.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I do like the fact that depressing doubtful protagonists are ubiquitous enough in mecha anime now that they are being subverted when we get a genki protagonist back.

Instro

Not especially, it was mostly concentrated in episode 1 and 7(which is where dresden's gifs are from.) The vast majority of the show is focused on mecha fights with some girls doing girl things on the side.

I suspect you might not like it. Visually it is pretty impressive though, I think many people are watching it because of that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Not especially, it was mostly concentrated in episode 1 and 7(which is where dresden's gifs are from.) The vast majority of the show is focused on mecha fights
Please stop lying to people. We've had like two and a half episodes focused on action while the rest have been pretty slice-of-lifey and very fanservicey. The fanservice is even present during the robot fights.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I do like the fact that depressing doubtful protagonists are ubiquitous enough in mecha anime now that they are being subverted when we get a genki protagonist back.

i hate mopey anime protags. its one of the reasons why i couldnt click with gundam 00 despite its awesome designs and cool villains.

Junie12

Well, that is some very interesting stuff there OP. Might keep on eye on it. Been wanting to watch a Mecha anime for a while now anyway so I'll probably just end up watching it :p

LordCanti

Oh wow, it's pulling a 4.8/10 on one community review site. Does Viz even have the money to influence an editorial in the NYT? If not, is this guy just out of his mind?

Not to say that review scores are the be-all-end-all or anything, but if the community generally shits on it (the scale usually goes 7-10, just like with video games, because of score bloat) it doesn't bode well.

There really isn't that much fanservice. Those nsfw gifs are not the norm.

Dresden

Oh wow, it's pulling a 4.8/10 on one community review site. Does Viz even have the money to influence an editorial in the NYT? If not, is this guy just out of his mind?

Not to say that review scores are the be-all-end-all or anything, but if the community generally shits on it (the scale usually goes 7-10, just like with video games, because of score bloat) it doesn't bode well.

That said I wouldn't trust the general anime community on anything.

Instro

Please stop lying to people. We've had like two and a half episodes focused on action while the rest have been pretty slice-of-lifey and very fanservicey. The fanservice is even present during the robot fights.

2,3,5,6 have minimal fanservice. 3 of those are action episodes. By comparison to a mecha show like Aquarion Evol, I don't think the fanservice has been particularly heavy outside episodes 1 and 7 as I mentioned.

I'm not lying btw, I'm just commenting on my experience with the show thus far. I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
There really isn't that much fanservice. Those nsfw gifs are not the norm.
2,3,5,6 have minimal fanservice. 3 of those are action episodes. By comparison to a mecha show like Aquarion Evol, I don't think the fanservice has been particularly heavy outside episodes 1 and 7 as I mentioned.

I'm not lying btw, I'm just commenting on my experience with the show thus far. I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch it.
This is the cartoon that had its main protagonist stripping down in the middle of the beach in its very first scene.
Someone post that amazing shot where they managed to fit an ass AND boob fanservice into a single frame using a mirror.
Is it this one? (NSFW)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wrong. Anime fans have bad taste in all directions.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
off topic, but does Monster get any better? I'm about 14 episodes in and its extremely boring.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As I said, its concentrated in the 1st and 7th episode.
Just because you don't have a panty shot every five minutes it doesn't mean Lagrange isn't full of fanservice. Muginami's sole existence is fanservice.

Wait a minute, are we recycling discussions from the anime thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom