• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Risette
A Good Citizen
(02-26-2012, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by ColonialRaptor

I'm a big big fan of Mecha, so keep that in mind.

Watch Shin Mazinger Z.

Ghost in the Shell - Movies and TV series are great.

Have you seen the second movie, Innocence? If not, watch it. It's good.

Patlabor - not bad, but not great, a bit slow maybe for my liking?

Series or the first OVA + 2 movies? The first OVA and the 2 movies were directed by Mamoru Oshii, director of the Ghost in the Shell movies. Watch those if you haven't.

Another Oshii movie I'd like to recommend is Angel's Egg. It's great.

I also like all of Studio Ghibli's stuff immensly but that's sort of a different category as I'm thinking about TV series here.

You could check out the series' that Miyazaki and Takahata made before the establishment of Ghibli. Future Boy Conan, Anne of Green Gables, Marco, etc. They're basically like Ghibli series.

I also recommend their pre-Ghibli movies like Gauche the Cellist and Castle of Cagliostro. Also, if you haven't seen Only Yesterday (Ghibli movie unreleased in the US) I also recommend that. It's the best Ghibli movie.

I also just want to throw out a Redline recommendation, unrelated to any of the above. It's just awesome.
Last edited by Risette; 02-26-2012 at 10:31 PM.
madp
The Light of El Cantare
(02-26-2012, 10:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Instro

Dont worry man, I fixed it for you

http://i.imgur.com/dsPn7.gif

Thanks for the good laugh, I needed it.
cosmicblizzard
Shounen Iconoclast
(02-26-2012, 10:31 PM)

Hey Anime-GAF,

Stuff I would recommend for Death Note fans: Kaiji, One Outs, Mirai Nikki.
Stuff I would recommend for Gurren Lagann fans: Shin Mazinger Z, Diebuster (female Gurren Lagann essentially), Mazinkaiser SKL.

Depending on how much you like the shounen shows you listed (One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, etc) I could recommend a lot more.
Instro
(02-26-2012, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by EmmanuelMunoz

Someday, I will exploit this weakness of yours!

I'd highly recommend it.

People recommending giant robo shows and not mentioning Big O :(.
wonzo
Ascending the eternal
spiritual elevator
(02-26-2012, 10:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Dresden

You like mecha? Watch Giant Robo.

+1
Branduil
(02-26-2012, 10:42 PM)

Originally Posted by 7Th

Masashi Ishihama is finally getting his directorial debut.

Ishihama's work as OP director:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3EPfnuxRrA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bT1IgtsCsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMuloNJGnY

That actually sounds... interesting? And he knows how to make openings, we'll see if that skill translates to a full TV series.
BluWacky
(02-26-2012, 10:43 PM)

Originally Posted by 7Th

Holy crap, hype get! Ishihama is a genius OP director; I'm not sure how his sensibility translates to post-apocalyptic fantasy children, but fingers crossed it'll work out.

Definitely a TV series, not a film?

Awesome!
Typographenia
(02-26-2012, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Thoraxes

I just like reading your hyperlinks through the spoiler tags.

I'm about to watch it now though.

People only love me for my links!
wonzo
Ascending the eternal
spiritual elevator
(02-26-2012, 10:46 PM)

Originally Posted by 7Th

Sounds like it has potential, I'll deff. keep an eye out for it.
Instro
(02-26-2012, 10:49 PM)
Smile Precure 4

Cure March's transformation is weaker than Sunny and Peace, but she made up for it with a good battle. Cure Peace kind of stole the episode with that rock paper scissors bit.

Originally Posted by 7Th

Sounds pretty compelling, both in premise and with him at the helm.
Brazil
(02-26-2012, 10:50 PM)
Guilty Crown 4

That was actually pretty cool. And so is the OST.

Although the lead-up to that sequence was ridiculous. Do they really expect me to just go with the notion that the terrorist leader can put on a fake beard and get inside the government's HQ to talk to another terrorist as his lawyer?
Last edited by Brazil; 02-26-2012 at 10:52 PM.
BluWacky
(02-26-2012, 10:50 PM)
If anyone cares, there's a bit more plot information on From The New World here (spoilers, obviously). Definitely sounds interesting!
Hix
(02-26-2012, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by BluWacky

If anyone cares, there's a bit more plot information on From The New World here (spoilers, obviously). Definitely sounds interesting!

Certainly does.

If A-1 can continue to pump out interesting series, why can't everyone else?
Dresden
on the run
(02-26-2012, 10:52 PM)

Watanabe Saki, the narrator, describes how she grew up there, sometimes relating precious memories of her best friends: Shun, Satoru, Mamoru and Maria.

Yuri goggles engaged.
BluWacky
(02-26-2012, 10:53 PM)

Yuri goggles engaged.

Despite the seiyuu involved, I'd have thought that Shun, Satoru and Mamoru were all male...
Dresden
on the run
(02-26-2012, 10:53 PM)

Despite the seiyuu involved, I'd have thought that Shun, Satoru and Mamoru were all male...

I was focusing on Maria, actually.
BluWacky
(02-26-2012, 10:55 PM)

Ah, well keep those goggles on then!
Hix
(02-26-2012, 10:59 PM)

More like Yuri-a, amirite?

Your new avatar is creepy in a bad way.
hosannainexcelsis
(02-26-2012, 11:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Hix

If A-1 can continue to pump out interesting series, why can't everyone else?

I'll just point out here that A-1 Pictures has been one of the more consistent studios lately in pumping out big selling titles. Ano Hana, Blue Exorcist, Idolmaster, Uta no Prince-sama, and Working'!! all sold quite nicely (>14,000 per volume) last year.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(02-26-2012, 11:04 PM)
Smile Precure 4

Sailor Jupiter!

And yep, I think I like the derpiness of the main heroine. She's too much like Usagi for me not to like her ditziness/stupidity. I might actually be all in for this show.
madp
The Light of El Cantare
(02-26-2012, 11:11 PM)
Smile Precure 04:

CURE MARCH AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Peace is still the HNNNNNNNGest, but March is the total package and is easily best Cure. Badass? Check. Oneesama? Check. Tall, green, and kinda masculine like Sailor Jupiter? Check. Has an especially awesome power? Check. Wears military fatigues and short shorts as casual wear? That's one big Check.

Just look at that expression. "FUCK YEAH, I'M A PRECURE."

I love this show.
wsippel
(02-26-2012, 11:12 PM)

I'm also up for hyper violence any day of the week if it's available, but not really hentai but I'm not adverse to it, just never really see anything with it.

From the top of my head: Mardock Scramble, Genocyber if you want really fucking brutal and depressing oldschool shit, Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the anime). You're welcome. And don't watch Eureka Seven unless you're twelve years old and/ or a virgin. It won't make a lick of sense otherwise. And watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Everyone should watch Decode. And Redline.
Branduil
(02-26-2012, 11:14 PM)

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Smile Precure 4

Sailor Jupiter!

And yep, I think I like the derpiness of the main heroine. She's too much like Usagi for me not to like her ditziness/stupidity. I might actually be all in for this show.

Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot

Smile Precure 04:

CURE MARCH AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Peace is still the HNNNNNNNGest, but March is the total package and is easily best Cure. Badass? Check. Oneesama? Check. Tall, green, and kinda masculine like Sailor Jupiter? Check. Has an especially awesome power? Check. Wears military fatigues and short shorts as casual wear? That's one big Check.

Just look at that expression. "FUCK YEAH, I'M A PRECURE."

I love this show.

LOL, I love how these two posts could read as one, including the pictures.
Dedication Through Light
Banned
(02-26-2012, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Brazil

Guilty Crown 4

That was actually pretty cool. And so is the OST.

Although the lead-up to that sequence was ridiculous. Do they really expect me to just go with the notion that the terrorist leader can put on a fake beard and get inside the government's HQ to talk to another terrorist as his lawyer?

My second favorite void, and third favorite character whose void that came from. beautiful.
Thoraxes
(02-26-2012, 11:17 PM)
Rinne no Lagrange 08

That was a pretty enjoyable episode, and there was really no lack of anything happening really. There was a ton of information and progress in that episode, and i'm gradually getting more excited for the finale of the first half. There's a ton going on here from all factions and people, and some of the relationships between some of the characters is starting to get pretty interesting, especially their motives at specifically who everything is between.

There's still more to be revealed here though, as it almost seems like Lan's brother and want to take the Voxes, but what for is unknown at this time other than they want to force the blossoming of Rin-ne to happen sooner than later. I'm curious as to what exactly the blossoming will accomplish, though it's obviously related to the legend.

Also, the explanation of the population of the universe is pretty interesting as well, including the past history of civilization on Earth and in the universe. With the foundation kinda laid now, I hope we get more information about the formation of each of the galactic powers in more detail.

The chairman talking with Kiss at the end was interesting too in that it seems that the chairman just wants the the Lagrange to never blossom. The thing that isn't explained here yet is a point of contention right now. Are Kiss and Moid+King both after the same thing? If so, why not work together? The only thing I could think of is that it's possible to use the blossoming as a weapon to help wipe out a race of people or blow up a planet, potentially using it as a superweapon. The motives behind all that intrigues me as well, and i'm interested to see where it goes. Additionally, getting Madoka's cousin involved is going somewhere too, and she'll be more privy to information.

I was also kinda pleased with the way Madoka approached the end situation, and she seemed really mature and cool-headed to make the decision she did and act the way she did. You could see the regret she has, but she realizes the situation and isn't acting in the heat of the moment, which I liked. Despite her usually genkiness, she's still rational about the situation she's in.

Judging from the preview, the next episode doesn't look to be as good as this one, but they have yet to have an episode where something important isn't said/the universe is expanded/the plot progresses/more information is revealed, so i'm at least confident that things will still progress next week as well.

Also, Lan's wan getting explained was awesome. I honestly thought they were just doing it for a character quirk (which well, it still is), but the reasoning behind it was great/funny.

Also, dat blushing, demon, hnnggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, storm, group hug, hnnngghhhhhh. My goggles are on even though it's been said that there is none of that here.
PdotMichael
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of moe
(02-26-2012, 11:17 PM)
Should I put Redline in one line with School Days and co? I mean I could only watch the first 20 minutes because it was so bad.
jman2050
(02-26-2012, 11:18 PM)

Nooooo I want to not pay attention to this show in peace damnit!
Last edited by jman2050; 02-26-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Envelope
sealed with a kiss
(02-26-2012, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by PdotMichael

Should I put Redline in one line with School Days and co? I mean I could only watch the first 20 minutes because it was so bad.

That's a problem with you, not Redline.

Eureka Seven episode 5

The entire episode consisted of Renton getting trolled, pretty fillerish stuff, apart from vague hintings of the connection between Holland and Renton.
madp
The Light of El Cantare
(02-26-2012, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by jman2050

Nooooo I want to not pay attention to this show in peace damnit!

If Cure March has stirred something within your heart, it's too late.
Instro
(02-26-2012, 11:25 PM)

Originally Posted by wsippel

From the top of my head: Mardock Scramble, Genocyber if you want really fucking brutal and depressing oldschool shit, Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the anime). You're welcome. And don't watch Eureka Seven unless you're twelve years old and/ or a virgin. It won't make a lick of sense otherwise. And watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Everyone should watch Decode. And Redline.

Wtf am I reading.
Geneijin
He'll Never Forget The
Flower We Saw That Day

The first 10 minutes of Redline was bad? Really?
jman2050

Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot

If Cure March has stirred something within your heart, it's too late.

Oh god and her precure costume has spats too?

It's like if Jupiter and Kanbaru had a baby. I wouldn't put it past Kanbaru to somehow pull that off either!
Geneijin
He'll Never Forget The
Flower We Saw That Day
(02-26-2012, 11:27 PM)

Oh god and her precure costume has spats too?

It's like if Jupiter and Kanbaru had a baby. I wouldn't put it past Kanbaru to somehow pull that off either!

They all have spats. Yes 5 had spats as well.
wsippel
(02-26-2012, 11:28 PM)

No, you should just hang your head in shame.

Redline is animation for the animation's sake. It's style over substance, sure, but it's absolutely amazing if you like animation. It's just exceptional craftsmanship. It's not about what's on display, it's all about how it's displayed, and nothing comes even remotely close in that regard.
Instro
Lagrange 8

Regulus lied to me!

Originally Posted by Geneijin

Pantsu is old news, spats are the way of the future.
jman2050

Originally Posted by Geneijin

Not knowing these things is a GOOD sign, right?
Risette
A Good Citizen
(02-26-2012, 11:29 PM)

style over substance

Ugh. Are we back in the 1940s?
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(02-26-2012, 11:29 PM)

Not knowing these things is a GOOD sign, right?

Yes. You still have some hope inside of you.

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

style = it looks great.

substance = it doesn't have much.

I honestly have no idea why this bothers you so much.
Envelope
sealed with a kiss
(02-26-2012, 11:33 PM)

Originally Posted by darkside31337

Yes. You still have some hope inside of you.

style = it looks great.

Style can be substance though.
Risette
A Good Citizen
(02-26-2012, 11:34 PM)

style = it looks great.

Have much what?

Originally Posted by Envelope

Style is substance though.

darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(02-26-2012, 11:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Envelope

Style can be substance though.

Sure. It's just a saying anyway, there is no reason to get so upset about it.

Redline is visually stunning, it's beautiful in every sense of the word. And yet it's really not a good movie due to the actual content of the film. It has plenty of style and it has no substance.
iavi
(02-26-2012, 11:36 PM)

Sure. It's just a saying anyway, there is no reason to get so upset about it.

Depth would be the better term, I'm sure.
Risette
A Good Citizen
(02-26-2012, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Miri

Depth would be the better term, I'm sure.

"Depth" is what exactly?

Redline is visually stunning, it's beautiful in every sense of the word. And yet it's really not a good movie due to the actual content of the film. It has plenty of style and it has no substance.

What is this "substance" and why does a movie need it to be good? I need answers.
Last edited by Risette; 02-26-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Dynedom
(02-26-2012, 11:37 PM)
Redline is like the sexy girl you'd have a fling with because she's smoking hot and probably an incredible lay but you'd never marry her because she's criminally dumb and unforgivably shallow.

edit: GirlanimeGAF can swap genders around accordingly.
Mecha
(02-26-2012, 11:38 PM)

"Depth" is what exactly?

Substance.
wsippel
(02-26-2012, 11:38 PM)

Huh? I don't think the "style over substance" approach is bad. And I think it's true - even though I actually think Redline has some substance. And (consciously) watching anime for almost two decades, I love the movie. Everything about it. But the presentation is it's greatest asset by far. Animation, character and mechanical designs, sound - everything about the presentation is simply exceptional.
Instro
(02-26-2012, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Mecha

Substance.

I like this guy.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
Rinne no Lagrange 8:

Zzzzz exposition.

Still, I can't believe they made a Top Gun reference.
Risette
A Good Citizen

Huh? I don't think the "style over substance" approach is bad. And I think it's true - even though I actually think Redline has some substance. And (consciously) watching anime for almost two decades, I love the movie. Everything about it. But the presentation is it's greatest asset. Animation, character and mechanical designs, sound - everything about the presentation is simply exceptional.

Style over substance is an inherently negative term, though. It's also contradictory given that style is substance.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(02-26-2012, 11:40 PM)

style = it looks great.

But you can't have substance without style..