• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac 3DS REJECTED [Up: Now looking into Sony Platforms]

gogogow

This is every single corporation.

Sony recalled thousands of LBP discs after they were in stores because people thought there were Islamic chants on it.

And Eidos/IO interactive censored Hitman 2 due to religious content and copies of the game were withdrawn in the UK.

Resistance FOM was criticized for using the Cathedral of Manchester by the leaders of the Church of England. Sony had to come out and issue a apology.

Companies take religious content very seriously. Not surprising at all BOI was rejected by Nintendo.

I understand being disappointed that Nintendo won't allow this game on their system.

I don't understand those who apparently believe Sony or Microsoft would.

Yup.

Didn't Nintendo and Sony allow Manhunt 2 on their systems, be demanded it be censored to get the Mature rating? And Microsoft refused to let it release altogether on eithe the OG Xbox or 360?

Gotta say, while the gameplay is kind of clever, I can't blame Nintendo. I wanted to see what the game was like, and I love the classic Zelda nature, although I strongly dislike the stilted controls, but what really turned me off of the game is the fact that I felt like I was going to vomit almost every second of the game. It only got worse as I played. Part of me was intrigued by the mix of randomly generated roguelike with Zelda gameplay, but it would require some Pepto. Overall, though, I don't really ever want to go back to that unpleasant game. Maybe someone will make a more polished version with more appealing style and smoother gameplay.

Oddduck

Who remembers when Nintendo allowed BMXXX to have naked tits in the gamecube version of the game, but Sony didn't allow it for the PS2 version?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMXXX

"The game allows the player to create female characters that are fully topless and view live-action video clips of real life strippers, also with bare breasts. Sony Computer Entertainment of America refused to allow the game to be published for the PlayStation 2 until the nudity was censored. "

I never played this crappy game, but I remember hearing about this. Nintendo is willing to allow tits before they'll allow religious bashing.

What? This game sounds terrible, I don't even want to play that.

Its presented in a very cartoonish style. There's nothing all that offensive about it unless you're very easily offended. And even though there are aspects of the game that make me roll my eyes instead of laugh (most of the game's humor comes from just how ridiculously dark it is), it's mechanics are just so much fun that I don't care.

Uh...responsible ones?

Sure. Meanwhile, the majority of parents would take no responsibility and would react with irrational rage. "I bought this game system for games like Mario, and now Nintendo is selling this filth to my kids?!"

Nintendo censoring their own games two decades ago is now bad for third parties....
Gotcha.

No just with themselves, I remember ID Software being angered with Nintendo because of it's censorship policy with SNES Wolfenstein. Bringing this policy back will not please some 3rd parties if they really want better support from them.

red731

But it's so fun! I love it. Wish I played it more but hell I even have trouble playing it.

I need a new computer......

I play it at low quality and it plays great. I love it too. I have 17h on Steam played.

And wtf about sanity?
Also, yes, coat hanger thru head with two little fettuses around you, dead bird on head, "ate wrong pill face" and bodyless.
So many combinations of items, randomly generated levels....and unicorn horn!

Great to see that garbage like this is still a thing in 2012. Binding of Isaac may be a little messed up, but is ultimately a harmless game.

Thread reminds me that I need to play more Binding of Isaac.

No just with themselves, I remember ID Software being angered with Nintendo because of it's censor policy with SNES Wolfenstein. Bringing this policy back will not please some 3rd parties if they really want better support from them.

You're still reaching back two decades to pull examples when there are more recent examples that disprove you...
This isn't some giant conspiracy against third parties.
It's a single game that likely wouldn't be allowed on ANY console.

I play it at low quality and it plays great. I love it too. I have 17h on Steam played.

And wtf about sanity?
Also, yes, coat hanger thru head with two little fettuses around you, dead bird on head, "ate wrong pill face" and bodyless.
So many combinations of items, randomly generated levels....and unicorn horn!

I play on low everything. I just have a shitty laptop lol.

Joni

Didn't Nintendo and Sony allow Manhunt 2 on their systems, be demanded it be censored to get the Mature rating? And Microsoft refused to let it release altogether on eithe the OG Xbox or 360?
Nobody (No store) sells AO games so Rockstar pulled it themselves. They wouldn't get any shelf space. Aside from that, it was outright banned in the UK so censorship was necessary to get it even released regardless of Sony/Nintendo.

gogogow

Why do they tweet that it was rejected by Nintendo? What about PSN/XBLA, will it be on their services? You would think that's the second choice after Steam.

Oddduck

As usual Nintendo never misses an opportunity to prove how inept they are.

Yeah cause we know Sony and Microsoft would totally allow a game that would upset religious groups on their services.

As I said before, there's been times when Sony/MS censored third party games, and Nintendo didn't censor at all. Nintendo allowed naked breasts in the GameCube version of BMXXX (not just in the gameplay, but live action video of real breasts) when Sony threaten to ban the game if it had nudity.

But people are stuck in the SNES days and want to only remember when Nintendo censored mortal kombat.

Why do they tweet that it was rejected by Nintendo? What about PSN/XBLA, will it be on their services? You would think that's the second choice after Steam.

Of course not.
But hey, as long as we can bash Nintendo about something the entire industry does!

SmokyDave

Of course not.
But hey, as long as we can bash Nintendo about something the entire industry does!

Entire industry?

Steam and (to a lesser degree) iOS scoff at your generalisation. On reflection though, it really is sad that there is a mature content 'ceiling' on games for consoles and handhelds. You'd think we'd have matured past that by now, especially given the prevalence and popularity of games that have you shoot hundreds of people in the face for hours.

Pretty sure that has to do with weak hardware.

Well, Wolfenstein SNES deserved that. Not only for the low quality but for taking away all Nazi references (in a game where your enemies are... Nazis?), blood replaced with sweat and attack dogs replaced by giant mutant rats took away the appeal from the PC version. No one wanted to play that.

red731

I play on low everything. I just have a shitty laptop lol.

The thing is that its made in flash. I hope that someday they will do some engine that can use gfx...-not like now : the game is running on processor. Thats why its so demanding and slowmotion on high quality.

But idgaf, the game is awesome and with the new content to be added it will be even more so!

Just the decision to make it in flash was...wrong I think.

Also on laptop; 2.53ghz dualcore

gogogow

I don't get why he only wants the game on Steam and specifically 3DS and not on other services including iOS/PSN/XBLA.

Oddduck

Companies don't want to touch religion with a ten foot pole.

It's not about censorship. I don't think Nintendo would care if there were vaginas or dead baby corpses in the game. But can you imagine the headlines? "Nintendo releases game discriminating against Christians". Next thing you know, religious groups are protesting in front of Nintendo of America.

Does Nintendo need that bad publicity right before they launch Wii U? You have to think about the timing of it too. The media and press is already tough on Nintendo as it is. Bring out a game that mocks certain groups of people, and Nintendo will end up with even more bad press and consumer backlashes.

The thing is that its made in flash. I hope that someday they will do some engine that can use gfx...-not like now : the game is running on processor. Thats why its so demanding and slowmotion on high quality.

But idgaf, the game is awesome and with the new content to be added it will be even more so!

Just the decision to make it in flash was...wrong I think.

Also on laptop; 2.53ghz dualcore

2.00 ghz single core.

I'm a sad panda.

That's a stupid reason to not allow it. Thankfully there are other platforms which don't restrict creative freedom. They should have just let PEGI/CERO/ESRB deal with the rating of the game.
are those Binding of Isaac games good, at least?
I really don't care for the art, but the mechanics are excellent.

Medalion

Banned
We don't care if other people would do the same, this is about Nintendo being too conservative and never changing, and unloading pent up frustrations at them duh

Erethian

Because they'd been in active discussions with Nintendo on trying to get it up on the eShop. Can't remember whether there have been similar discussions with Sony or Microsoft.

Top Bottom