• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Either my internet is screwed or the game keeps matching me with Americans, resulting in horrendous lag.

Best way to kill my interest in a multiplayer.

Sotha Sil

Yeah, the lag is pretty bad. I'm hooked, but if they don't fix it, I certainly won't play regularly.

Oh, and is it just me, or the AI really like to aim at walls?

Soma

noooooooo my system froze in the middle of a match ;_;

ah well i'm still messing around in the Bronze challenges anyhow.

<3 my Asari Adept

i should be able to handle Silver now that I unlocked Stasis Bubble.

Either my internet is screwed or the game keeps matching me with Americans, resulting in horrendous lag.

Best way to kill my interest in a multiplayer.

That's why I stopped playing. I'll be playing 4 player coop with my best friend, my girlfriend and one of her friends when the game finally comes out though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

"Try out your modified weapons. Visit the testing range on the Citadel, near the Spectre offices."

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just really tired right now? It popped up on the loading screen.

rozay

Banned
"Try out your modified weapons. Visit the testing range on the Citadel, near the Spectre offices."

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just really tired right now? It popped up on the loading screen.
Those "tips" are for the SP campaign, but yeah there will be a firing range to play with guns now.

Only got to start playing the multi this weekend. Myself and my brother been playing together, seems a bit tough on 2 people I must say, seems to be designed to be played with 4.

Lot of fun though, Human engineer class seems good so far, feel like I'm prepared to face anything, too bad that there's so many enemies to deal with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's why I stopped playing. I'll be playing 4 player coop with my best friend, my girlfriend and one of her friends when the game finally comes out though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Just spent 50 minutes on a Gold match and yeah, well and truly done with the multiplayer in the demo. I'm pretty burnt out this point and unless the lag/match making is fixed in the retail version (and I'm betting it wont be) it will remain mostly unplayed, which is disappointing.

We all played well in that match, got to wave nine, but mother of fuck did the lag ruin numerous, countless kills. Either a missed headshot because the game shifted my character's position thus breaking my aim, phantoms, nemesis and everything else teleporting as the game tries to calculate where they are, and utterly dreadful damage recognition on both players and enemies. Shoot, contact, splatter effect; no damage. Throw grenade, animation effect; no grenade thrown.

And I have no idea what happened in wave nine but I swear an Atlas mech became completely invincible. We were all focus firing and, right before I died, it's health was about halfway through the armour bar. My bros couldn't revive me, so I watched, and despite them continually focus firing on the same mech the fucking thing never went down. It was sparking, but nothing was happening. Two of those guys were killed by a phantom, and the other was killed by that same mech.

Definitively broken and unplayable. Getting to wave nine was a blend of skill, wrestling with lag, and pure luck. If this is how the retail game is going to be then count me out.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, the lag is pretty bad. I'm hooked, but if they don't fix it, I certainly won't play regularly.

Oh, and is it just me, or the AI really like to aim at walls?

the AI also likes to shoot at the wall inside the base on Novaris while aiming at players that are on a completely different part of the map

as for the lag issue that others seem to have, I had exactly one laggy match in all the time I played (I'm in Europe, but mostly play at night). There used to be a connection problem where the game wouldn't load for me when a match began, but even that seems to have disappeared. I'm really pleasantly surprised by how smooth online play is for me.

LosDaddie

Banned
Been a very busy past 2 weeks for me (new job & all), and I haven't had a chance to play the ME3 demo yet. :(

So, are there any bonuses you get from playing the demo? Like unlocks in the retail game?

Chocobro

Finally read all the posts in this thread.

I played the demo a lot last week with my cousins and a friend. But only my human vanguard and asari adept are maxed. Good thing this just a demo because you can prepare builds for your future characters. I maxed shockwave for my vanguard and boy that was a big mistake..Asari adept is extremely good since I mostly play on silver. Stasis bubble <3

I don't really dig the packs because they keep upgrading weapons I don't use! However this makes the MP kind of addicting for me. I really wanted a Carnifex.

I think it's time to just stop playing the demo and wait for the final release.

so shokwave is pretty garbage then?

I was putting points into Warp and Singularity for my Adpet instead of Shockwave. Guess that was a good route to go...

Shotguns are absolute beasts in this game.

I take out Nemesis shields in one overload hit and take them out in 2 close shots to the face with the Katana. Dayum son.

I was putting points into Warp and Singularity for my Adpet instead of Shockwave. Guess that was a good route to go...

It's not as much of a waste for a human adept since it can combo with singularity like warp can. For a vanguard though you want to take pretty much every other tree and stick to nova/charge, so it's more of a waste there.

Shockwave is great against shield guys. It staggers them and then you can kill em at your leisure. One of the final upgrades also lets you suspend the enemy in the air. So it's effectively doubling as singularity.

Mindlog

Shockwave's best feature is wubwubwubwubwub.

I thought it was crap, but it has its uses on a Human Adept. You can steal some points for fitness to get a modest shockwave going.

Trying to beat Gold with lag would be tough as hell.
Rozay said:
So I tried the revenant for the first time with a soldier on bronze.

I gotta say, as fucking terrible at killing enemies as this gun is, there's something satisfying about unloading 216 rounds at once.
It's a lot of fun to use with a Turian Sentinel. Cryo II ammo is an excellent pairing.

MNC

I love this multiplayer so much. I would almost solely buy it for the co-op and the fact I would like to finish the story once and for all. I'm... I'm getting hyped guys. They got me good.

Also, I WANT FUCKING NEW CHARACTERS. I'm growing tired of my human adept (but he stays lovely) Do you guys recommend waiting for the veteran pack or keep buying recruit packs? I mainly play matches with 2 players total.

EA really could've gotten away with stripping out the multiplayer and releasing it as a Free-To-Play game, selling XP/Money boosters or whatever.

rozay

Banned
Multiplayer is fun but something that really irks me is the lack of an enemy radar. :(
The devs claim radar took a significant amount of memory/processing power (whether or not it is more than holstering animations, we will never know) and that's why it vanished in ME2 aside from the power wheels/shift-key pause menu. Multiplayer would benefit from one especially with the FoV it's at.

Kyoufu

The devs claim radar took a significant amount of memory/processing power (whether or not it is more than holstering animations, we will never know) and that's why it vanished in ME2 aside from the power wheels/shift-key pause menu. Multiplayer would benefit from one especially with the FoV it's at.

Yeah I remember them saying that, but other games have radars too...

At first I was a bit upset about radar, but I really think it's more fun without it and utilizing my 5.1 sound system audio queues to try and locate enemies. Never have your back exposed without your pals watching your six.

Violet_0

Banned
Also, I WANT FUCKING NEW CHARACTERS. I'm growing tired of my human adept (but he stays lovely) Do you guys recommend waiting for the veteran pack or keep buying recruit packs? I mainly play matches with 2 players total.

I think there's your problem. I got all my alien characters (Drell vanguard, Asari adept, Salarian infiltrator) from veteran packs. Admittedly it took me a while to unlock these though.

I guess this belongs in here: http://blog.bioware.com/2012/02/27/turrets/

Dilly

Banned
I was on a mediablackout (did get spoiled on the DLC squadmate though -_-) but decided to try the demo for the multiplayer part.

I'm actually enjoying it, didn't expect that to happen.

Do gaffers play together typically? I haven't touched it yet because I have to finish up a ME2 play through but all my friends are going to be getting this on Xbox.

If anyone wants to add me:

GAF: Felix Lighter | Origin: FelixLighter

Mindlog

The Widow can maul an, Atlas. The Revenant does a decent job. Even the Claymore does a lot of damage. However, as a club the Claymore is incredibly effective. I never went full crazy with a Korgan before. With Blood Rage, Purge and Claymore bayonet a Korgan can take an Atlas down incredibly fast.

Dilly

Banned
Vanguard with SMG so I get a 200% reloadbonus in combination with Charge and Nova maxed is godlike.

I can just fly around the map blowing dudes up.

Tsukumo

IMHO Shockwave is an excellent power:
can (and will) stop an Atlas in its place
staggers everyone else
opens guardians
with lenght and witdth upgraded, there's no way a Phantom is going to be able to either cloak herself out or evade with a cartwheel
will save your ass everytime you are in a siege situation (uploading data, preparing for extraction, scanning devices).
Then again I'm a team player and I usually go for powers that give me lot of options for crowd control. If you want to be the one with the most points at the end of a mission, I'd say it's a really poor choice.
I'd say Vanguard/Infiltrator/Soldier if you want to do crazy scoring, Engineer/Adept/Sentinel if you want your entire team to have a chance to survive Silver and Gold missions.
By the way ^_^
GAF: Tsukumo GT: TSUKUMO76

exYle

Hey guys, Gold in multiplayer is equivalent to Hardcore or Insanity?

I'd say it's several tiers above Insanity, in terms of pure enemy damage and unit composition. The amount of enemies doing insane amounts of damage is almost unreasonable. This is only balanced by the fact that you can potentially have a very high-level, very well co-ordinated team working together to take them down.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Do you guys recommend waiting for the veteran pack or keep buying recruit packs?

I bought mostly recruit packs just to get the default weapons up to > level 5 as quick as possible. After that I switched to veteran packs to get the alternate characters.

Starting over after release I wonder what the optimal order to level up classes will be again? I suspect the best biotic classes first since they're less reliant upon how good their weapons are. I know one, thing I won't be doing human soldier 1st this time around, LOL, if I have any choice.

KKRT00

I bought mostly recruit packs just to get the default weapons up to > level 5 as quick as possible. After that I switched to veteran packs to get the alternate characters.

Starting over after release I wonder what the optimal order to level up classes will be again? I suspect the best biotic classes first since they're less reliant upon how good their weapons are. I know one, thing I won't be doing human soldier 1st this time around, LOL, if I have any choice.

I get like 150-170k and buy about 6 recruit packs and rest veteran packs. Veteran packs are great for upgrades and supplies and recruits are better for power buffs.

IMHO Shockwave is an excellent power:
can (and will) stop an Atlas in its place
staggers everyone else
opens guardians
with lenght and witdth upgraded, there's no way a Phantom is going to be able to either cloak herself out or evade with a cartwheel
will save your ass everytime you are in a siege situation (uploading data, preparing for extraction, scanning devices).
Then again I'm a team player and I usually go for powers that give me lot of options for crowd control. If you want to be the one with the most points at the end of a mission, I'd say it's a really poor choice.
I'd say Vanguard/Infiltrator/Soldier if you want to do crazy scoring, Engineer/Adept/Sentinel if you want your entire team to have a chance to survive Silver and Gold missions.
By the way ^_^
GAF: Tsukumo GT: TSUKUMO76

Note: Shockwave is great for everything but the Human Vanguard.

The primary downfall of Shockwave is that it shares a timer with Charge, which is several orders of magnitude more important than Shockwave.

X-Frame

IIRC, BioWare has hinted in BSN that there will be a slightly tweaked unlock system in the retail game. Possibly additional packs (one specifically for characters?).

Kyoufu

Note: Shockwave is great for everything but the Human Vanguard.

The primary downfall of Shockwave is that it shares a timer with Charge, which is several orders of magnitude more important than Shockwave.

Except...

Shockwave upgraded will lower the cooldown on all your powers and it's not always a good idea to charge into an enemy. It gives you a ranged option.

Top Bottom