• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

DangerousDave
Member
(02-29-2012, 12:56 AM)
DangerousDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrefpvs

Holy crap. That's it?? Then, basically, I've just been unlucky and no-one around me has goods to share? Damn...

Thanks, Jinfash.

Make friends that has the game. Friends share gifts even if they're not near.
mochuuu
PSN Community Mgr.
(02-29-2012, 01:25 AM)
mochuuu's Avatar

Originally Posted by patsu

mochuuu, I have worked in a large company before and I know the issues. The difficulty will be in the follow-ups.

Does the PSN community management team intend to follow up with the Near team later to see what resolutions they come up with ? If it's a one way, fire-and-forget thing, it will end up like a suggestion box -> trash can interaction eventually. ^_^


Would be great if we can have a community blog to see what they say !

I know where you're coming from, but no worries, I'm hell bent on making sure my time isn't going into a blackhole. =)
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(02-29-2012, 01:33 AM)
Also, the activity wall needs notifications. I like the idea, but would love to know when people like and post on my activities whether it's in near or in Live Area
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(02-29-2012, 01:39 AM)
Jinfash's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wario64

Also, the activity wall needs notifications. I like the idea, but would love to know when people like and post on my activities whether it's in near or in Live Area

Agreed. It should go straight to the notification system. However I have a feeling this lies outside the Near team's control.
Synless
Member
(02-29-2012, 01:41 AM)
Synless's Avatar
I need Near friends, I need gifts from people, specifically Uncharted. Wario, add me now!

SEN: Synless
Rollo Larson
aka Glute.Belly
(02-29-2012, 08:11 PM)
Rollo Larson's Avatar
how do i give away game goods?
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(02-29-2012, 08:12 PM)
I think it's automatic. I wonder how many gifts I've given out, especially with my Uncharted plat
pharmboy044
Member
(02-29-2012, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Wario64

I think it's automatic. I wonder how many gifts I've given out, especially with my Uncharted plat

I haven't got any from you. Come on man! :P
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(02-29-2012, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by pharmboy044

I haven't got any from you. Come on man! :P

:(
Sera O
Member
(02-29-2012, 09:45 PM)
Sera O's Avatar
Near is really emphasizing the fact that I live the life of a medieval villager. I live close to my work and the city centre and everything is in walking distance, so I don't cover much ground during the work week. My km count is so, so, so sad.

I've found it pretty cryptic as to how presents have been handled in the games I have. I think it would be good if there were a more consistent way to see this on a game to game basis (currently the only way I can check is by looking at my game list on the radar map to see what games have presents next to them). I would like it if there were some kind of near area on the game start screen - where the manual and webpage links are - so I could easily see what I have made available on near for each game. Also sometimes when I go to make a gift and get the "you updated within the last hour" message, it would be helpful to get an indication of whether the gift is going into a queue for the next location update or not. I am pretty sure they are, but it took me a bit to figure that out.

I have like, 2 friends though and they are both ps3 and nearless so anyone short on friends feel free to add me. userid volpanic. I've got hot shots golf, katamari, and lumines so far.
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(03-01-2012, 12:05 AM)
Jinfash's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wario64

I think it's automatic. I wonder how many gifts I've given out, especially with my Uncharted plat

It's done manually in Lumines. I'm not sure yet how Hustle Kings handles it. Those are the only games supporting Gifts in my collection.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(03-01-2012, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by mochuuu

Been scoping this thread to gather what some of people's questions and suggestions are for Near. We're meeting up with the Near dev team soon; so if anyone has any suggestions, questions, etc; would love to know!

thanks!

- morgan

Curious, are the near developers from SCEA/SCEE or from Japan?
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 12:58 AM)
To the PSN community management team...

How 'bout a promo with B&M stores to use Near to gift *real* coupons ?
BurningNad
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:09 AM)
BurningNad's Avatar


Doing pretty good despite having a wifi vita. Thank you, job, for sending me all over Brooklyn. :D
Last edited by BurningNad; 03-01-2012 at 01:12 AM.
mrkapawutzis
Member
(03-01-2012, 01:47 AM)
mrkapawutzis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Synless

I need Near friends, I need gifts from people, specifically Uncharted. Wario, add me now!

SEN: Synless

Sent you a request. Trying to hook a brother (or sister) up
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(03-01-2012, 01:48 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurningNad



Doing pretty good despite having a wifi vita. Thank you, job, for sending me all over Brooklyn. :D

Taking that Vita to the job and being equally productive? UNHEARD OF!
Lord Error
Insane For Sony
(03-01-2012, 02:38 AM)
I got a notification from Near that I've acquired a bounty for Uncharted and that I should go to game's black market to claim it. I ignored this for a couple of hours, and now that I activated black market, there's nothing to claim. Not even the carved fetish :( Why is this?
Toki767
Member
(03-01-2012, 02:50 AM)
Toki767's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lord Error

I got a notification from Near that I've acquired a bounty for Uncharted and that I should go to game's black market to claim it. I ignored this for a couple of hours, and now that I activated black market, there's nothing to claim. Not even the carved fetish :( Why is this?

Uncharted bounties expire within 3 hours I believe.
Lord Error
Insane For Sony
(03-01-2012, 02:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Toki767

Uncharted bounties expire within 3 hours I believe.

Ah crap.
Kai Dracon
Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
(03-01-2012, 03:07 AM)
Kai Dracon's Avatar
So... housemate and I are in the same place. Connecting to the same wireless router. We each have wifi Vitas. Everything is set the same in both our units. He can use Near and get location lookup via wireless, but whenever I use Near, it fails out and says it can't communicate.

Technology!
pharmboy044
Member
(03-01-2012, 03:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Toki767

Uncharted bounties expire within 3 hours I believe.

There is a thumb tack that you can use to "save" the gift even though it might expire.
rbanke
Member
(03-01-2012, 04:39 AM)
rbanke's Avatar
Today near has stopped working on my WiFi Vita. It was working fine, and now I get the "An error has occurred" super informative error. I tried doing the system reset but that made no difference. Has anyone heard any official word on whats going on with this? The only helpful thing related to it I can even find is to try resetting the Vita, and trying to test the internet connection, but that hasn't helped.
Last edited by rbanke; 03-01-2012 at 04:53 AM.
BlazingDarkness
Member
(03-01-2012, 05:02 AM)
BlazingDarkness's Avatar


Is this a costume unlock?
Pretty damn cool if so!
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by rbanke

Today near has stopped working on my WiFi Vita. It was working fine, and now I get the "An error has occurred" super informative error. I tried doing the system reset but that made no difference. Has anyone heard any official word on whats going on with this? The only helpful thing related to it I can even find is to try resetting the Vita, and trying to test the internet connection, but that hasn't helped.

Which option did you use to "reset Vita" ?
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 05:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Kaijima

So... housemate and I are in the same place. Connecting to the same wireless router. We each have wifi Vitas. Everything is set the same in both our units. He can use Near and get location lookup via wireless, but whenever I use Near, it fails out and says it can't communicate.

Technology!

Heh heh, I can't think of any reason why your unit would behave differently. What exactly was the error message ?
rbanke
Member
(03-01-2012, 05:12 AM)
rbanke's Avatar

Originally Posted by patsu

Which option did you use to "reset Vita" ?

The one that is labeled 'Restore Settings'.

Edit: I found some posts earlier in the thread that talk about doing the full system restore, If that's the case I think i'll just wait for a patch or an official explanation of how to avoid the problem since it could happen all over again.
Last edited by rbanke; 03-01-2012 at 05:16 AM.
lowrider007
Licorice-flavoured booze?
(03-01-2012, 06:18 AM)
lowrider007's Avatar
I've had my wi-fi Vita since day one and I've only got near to obtain my location once (the first time I used it), now it just continually says "could not obtain data for your location", all my other online features work fine.

Is this a known problem?
Gen X
Trust no one. Eat steaks.
(03-01-2012, 06:36 AM)
Gen X's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toki767

Uncharted bounties expire within 3 hours I believe.

Shit I forgot about this. Got an item for Uncharted yesterday, downloaded it and haven't booted up the game.

/checks
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(03-01-2012, 06:39 AM)
Jinfash's Avatar
Has anyone discovered why the number of people in any given location keeps growing at a fixed rate? (3 people every scan in my case)

Is the number commutative, and keeps track of repeated check-ins, not just unique ones?

I'm really loving the app, and I hope it keeps growing and utilized. But it still confuses me.
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by lowrider007

I've had my wi-fi Vita since day one and I've only got near to obtain my location once (the first time I used it), now it just continually says "could not obtain data for your location", all my other online features work fine.

Is this a known problem?

Does it include a time limit ? Like "Could not obtain data for your location within 40 minutes" ?
lowrider007
Licorice-flavoured booze?
(03-01-2012, 07:21 AM)
lowrider007's Avatar

Originally Posted by patsu

Does it include a time limit ? Like "Could not obtain data for your location within 40 minutes" ?

Nope, just says what I quoted, could it be due to my nat type being @ 3?
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 07:51 AM)

Originally Posted by lowrider007

Nope, just says what I quoted, could it be due to my nat type being @ 3?

Hmm... I think NAT Type 3 have restricted access to PSN (Need to open ports). But I am not completely sure if it will affect Near. What happens if you connect to one of the public hotspots ? (Like Starbucks).
dreamer3kx
Member
(03-01-2012, 04:03 PM)
dreamer3kx's Avatar
Darn I thought Near works via GPS in real time, I need a wifi spot, correct?
DMPrince
Member
(03-01-2012, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Jinfash

Has anyone discovered why the number of people in any given location keeps growing at a fixed rate? (3 people every scan in my case)

Is the number commutative, and keeps track of repeated check-ins, not just unique ones?

I'm really loving the app, and I hope it keeps growing and utilized. But it still confuses me.

sony's near is working. people are interested when they check with their friends ;P jk

I brought my vita to work. 5 people in the area had a vita! awesome.

and i started playing UMVC3 just to give out gifts lol.
Toki767
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:19 PM)
Toki767's Avatar

Originally Posted by dreamer3kx

Darn I thought Near works via GPS in real time, I need a wifi spot, correct?

Do you have the 3G model? The wifi model doesn't have a GPS so it wouldn't work that way.
MiniBossBattle
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:21 PM)
MiniBossBattle's Avatar
Wait, how do I give/get gifts from UMVC3?! I want a gold GhostRider....

PSN MiniBossBattle
patsu
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:24 PM)

Originally Posted by dreamer3kx

Darn I thought Near works via GPS in real time, I need a wifi spot, correct?

It works with GPS in real time. You don't really need a WiFi hotspot to pinpoint your location. However the application (e.g., Google Maps) may need a WiFi connection to download the map data.

An asynchronous app like Near can store your GPS locations as you wander around, and then when you finally find a working WiFi hotspot, talk to the servers to process your location history.
FantasticMrFoxdie
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:28 PM)
FantasticMrFoxdie's Avatar
I was about to ask about the density of the app, but realized it was in the OP.

Everyone has 1-20miles and my radar was within .3-.5 miles. Really surprising.
SOLDIER
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:30 PM)
SOLDIER's Avatar
I exchanged my Vita a couple of days ago, restoring the settings I backed up on my PC. Since then, I haven't been able to get Near to work.

I keep getting a "an error has occurred" message after it says it's sending my location info.

I tried the internet connection test method posted here, but that didn't work. Any other ideas?
dreamer3kx
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:33 PM)
dreamer3kx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SOLDIER

I exchanged my Vita a couple of days ago, restoring the settings I backed up on my PC. Since then, I haven't been able to get Near to work.

I keep getting a "an error has occurred" message after it says it's sending my location info.

I tried the internet connection test method posted here, but that didn't work. Any other ideas?

I know when you first start Near it gives you optional settings, did that appear, once that didnt appear for me and Near didnt work, had to reset to factory default.
Salaadin
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:36 PM)
Salaadin's Avatar

Originally Posted by FantasticMrFoxdie

I was about to ask about the density of the app, but realized it was in the OP.

Everyone has 1-20miles and my radar was within .3-.5 miles. Really surprising.

Mine is always 1 - 3 miles but then yesterday it just dropped down to .3 - .5 but kept showing the same amount of people. I dont know why.
SOLDIER
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:41 PM)
SOLDIER's Avatar

Originally Posted by dreamer3kx

I know when you first start Near it gives you optional settings, did that appear, once that didnt appear for me and Near didnt work, had to reset to factory default.

I got the agreements, but I think that was it.

When resetting to factory default, do I have to reset the memory card too? If not, will I lose any data if I don't back it up first?
dreamer3kx
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:51 PM)
dreamer3kx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SOLDIER

I got the agreements, but I think that was it.

When resetting to factory default, do I have to reset the memory card too? If not, will I lose any data if I don't back it up first?

I believe it gives you option not to format mem card.
DMPrince
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:53 PM)
i brought the vita with me to work. did some miles on it just to see. got 5 people playing. checked again around the same area. and noticed one of the people who added me near my house was around the same area. unsure if that's right or not lol. creepy.
crazygambit
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:55 PM)
crazygambit's Avatar

Originally Posted by mochuuu

oh and to be clear; this isn't a Q and A type thing =) just questions that I can relay to the team to influence the development roadmap with some input from the folks who are using it. I'll just be gathering the feedback so can't promise a two way discussion i'm afraid.

How about making it more clear how the emoticons you can select for each game are used? Also including options different from "So awesome". I get what their going for, but if emoticons are gonna have any meaning you have to be able to warn people about bad games. If they're all great they're meaningless.
Sylver
Member
(03-01-2012, 09:57 PM)
Sylver's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlazingDarkness



Is this a costume unlock?
Pretty damn cool if so!

Yes it's I got golden Hulk yesterday.


Today I was surprised someone near me was playing Ragnarok Odyssey.
Riptwo
Member
(03-01-2012, 10:05 PM)
Riptwo's Avatar
I'm digging Near, but I still can't get Uncharted's Black Market working for me with my wi-fi Vita. It won't let me select a category to actively seek! Usually when backing out of the black market, it won't ask me to update my selection, though it has asked a couple of times. After going back into near and updating, however, the black market still says that I'm seeking out 0 items the next time I sign in. Anyone else experiencing this?
RelentlessRolento
Member
(03-02-2012, 04:16 AM)
RelentlessRolento's Avatar
anyone else get errors on near now all the time? first few days i had my vita it worked perfectly fine, now I always get errors at any access point.

:(

I even hard reset my system
patsu
Member
(03-02-2012, 04:18 AM)
Hmm... mine is still working fine. WiFi or 3G Vita ?
RelentlessRolento
Member
(03-02-2012, 04:19 AM)
RelentlessRolento's Avatar

Originally Posted by patsu

Hmm... mine is still working fine. WiFi or 3G Vita ?

wifi

Thread Tools