• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

planar1280
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:17 PM)
http://bigjournalism.com/lsolov/2012...+Journalism%29

twitter:

Media publisher, conservative activist Andrew Breitbart dies at 43 from natural causes - @biggovt bit.ly/wtNxd9

With a terrible feeling of pain and loss we announce the passing of Andrew Breitbart.

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles.
We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior.
Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.
Andrew recently wrote a new conclusion to his book, Righteous Indignation:
I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and—famously—I enjoy making enemies.
Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I’ve lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I’ve gained hundreds, thousands—who knows?—of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night.
Andrew is at rest, yet the happy warrior lives on, in each of us.

Weenerz
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:19 PM)
This was the weiner guy right? Seems he really got boned in the end.
KingGondo
(03-01-2012, 02:19 PM)
Wow. Can't say I'm sad, but I have sympathy for the family.
ToxicAdam
Banned
(03-01-2012, 02:20 PM)
Whoa.

That's pretty shocking. He always struck me as a high-energy, intense guy. Wonder if that played a part in his demise.
marrec
(03-01-2012, 02:21 PM)
I imagine it must suck for his family.

Guy was pretty much a terrible person though.
ChiTownBuffalo
Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Wow. I'm stunned.

Hated the guy's politics and how he operated.

But he was young. I feel for his family.

That being said, I hope his happy warrior is not inside me.
planar1280
Banned
no big media is reporting it. the only ones are are Ben from Politico, Breaking News twitter, the Link above and DRUDGEREPORT
KingGondo
(03-01-2012, 02:22 PM)

Originally Posted by ChiTownBuffalo

That being said, I hope his happy warrior is not inside me.

Oh, you'd know if it was.
Salazar
(03-01-2012, 02:23 PM)
I sympathise with people who felt close to him. He was ridiculous and contemptible and actively nasty as a man, as a public figure, though.
Manos: The Hans of Fate
Banned
Edit: never mind that must be someone else.
Pristine_Condition

Originally Posted by marrec

I imagine it must suck for his family.

Guy was pretty much a terrible person though.

You knew him?
reggieandTFE
(03-01-2012, 02:24 PM)
I abhorred all that he said, created and stood for, but still feel bad for his family.

Also, it was probably cocaine.
marrec
(03-01-2012, 02:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Pristine_Condition

You knew him?

He put his happy warrior inside me nightly.

o.O
Zeke
(03-01-2012, 02:27 PM)
wow thats shocking but wtf at died of natural cause at age 43? Olbermann had been roasing him over the past few weeks.
KingGondo
(03-01-2012, 02:28 PM)

You knew him?

Breitbart made a living by convincing people to judge public figures harshly... I don't think doing the same to him is unfair.
Zeke
(03-01-2012, 02:29 PM)

You knew him?

http://youtu.be/-oQEaEP8-jA
Agnostic
but believes in Chael
I always thought he was a lot older than 43. Whenever I saw him on a cable channel or Real Time I just assumed he was in his 50s.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
uh, wow
Bulbo Urethral Baggins
Benedict Arnold's 5th Cousin
(03-01-2012, 02:30 PM)
He seemed a little bit "off" or disturbed lately. I had a feeling something was up. Wonder what
Last edited by Bulbo Urethral Baggins; 03-01-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Steelrain
(03-01-2012, 02:30 PM)
Hoooly fuck this is out of nowhere.
birdcity
(03-01-2012, 02:31 PM)
Who????
el retorno

Originally Posted by planar1280

no big media is reporting it. the only ones are are Ben from Politico, Breaking News twitter, the Link above and DRUDGEREPORT

Big Journalism was his site.
ChiTownBuffalo
Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Originally Posted by KingGondo

Breitbart made a living by convincing people to judge public figures harshly... I don't think doing the same to him is unfair.

We aren't even close to doing what Breitbart has done himself. After Ted Kennedy died:

According to Wikipedia: "In the hours immediately following Senator Ted Kennedy's death, Breitbart called Kennedy a "villain", a "duplicitous bastard", a "prick"[15] and "a special pile of human excrement."[16][17]".
Meadows
(03-01-2012, 02:32 PM)
didn't know who he was so watched a couple of his youtube speeches.

seems charismatic although I obviously disagree with him
MightyHealthy
(03-01-2012, 02:32 PM)
I was reading about him and his exploits in Playboy and Maxim months ago...untimely.
el retorno
(03-01-2012, 02:33 PM)

Originally Posted by reggieandTFE

I abhorred all that he said, created and stood for, but still feel bad for his family.

Use the huffingtonpost?
thefro
(03-01-2012, 02:33 PM)
Sad to see anyone pass away, but this guy was a scumbag.
Skiptastic
(03-01-2012, 02:34 PM)
Just saw this on Drudge. Sad to see someone so young go.

I feel bad for his family and friends and hope they can find peace in this tough time. RIP.
Captain Tuttle
(03-01-2012, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by planar1280

I think Breaking News is MSNBC.

I pretty much hated everything that this guy stood for but still sad to see one so young drop dead.
benjipwns
(03-01-2012, 02:35 PM)

Brietbart would have liked it that way probably.

He had four young kids though if anyone is the type swayed by that kind of thing.
Jackpot
(03-01-2012, 02:35 PM)
Keep in mind this guy did help create Huffingtonpost and found a pro-Gay GOP group.

We aren't even close to doing what Breitbart has done himself. After Ted Kennedy died:

According to Wikipedia: "In the hours immediately following Senator Ted Kennedy's death, Breitbart called Kennedy a "villain", a "duplicitous bastard", a "prick"[15] and "a special pile of human excrement."[16][17]".

Ted did leave that woman to die.
el retorno
(03-01-2012, 02:36 PM)
This is sad that someone who was so young died. I donīt agree with his politics but I think he has had a big effect and an important one on journalism, especially online.
KingGondo

He was pretty vile.

I'm not gonna slander his family or anything, but the guy was very symbolic of the American Right during this era. Maybe his death will signal the beginning of a return to sanity.

Not likely.
marrec

Originally Posted by benjipwns

Brietbart would have liked it that way probably.

He had four young kids though if anyone is the type swayed by that kind of thing.

Nah, he's still a terrible person.

Felt bad for his kids before he even died.
benjipwns
(03-01-2012, 02:37 PM)

Maybe his death will signal the beginning of a return to sanity.

Why would it ever?

Originally Posted by marrec

Nah, he's still a terrible person.

Felt bad for his kids before he even died.

I don't know anything terrible he's ever done so I can't judge.

I can't speak to his parenthood, he seemed nice enough when he appeared with his kids.

I just thought it faux-relevant since lots of GAF likes to flee from criticism when kids/families are involved.
Last edited by benjipwns; 03-01-2012 at 02:40 PM.
ChiTownBuffalo
(03-01-2012, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Jackpot

Ted did leave that woman to die.

Ted Kennedy: Liberal Lion, Bad Date.
KingGondo
(03-01-2012, 02:38 PM)

Why would it ever?

I'm an unreasonable optimist.

Knowing the far right media in this country, they'll double down on the most horrible things he did or said and glorify him for it.
Brinbe
(03-01-2012, 02:39 PM)
Wow, that's kind of shocking, but he did look a bit off when I saw him on CNN a week ago. Terrible that he died, but as others have already stated, he said/wrote a lot of shameful things.
dabig2
Farewell happy warrior. I'll forever miss your crusades against the poor and disenfranchised.
marrec

Originally Posted by Brinbe

Wow, that's kind of shocking. Terrible that he died, but as others have said, he said/wrote a lot of shameful things.

I've said a lot of shameful things, luckily when I die I won't be famous enough for someone to call me a terrible person.
teruterubozu
(03-01-2012, 02:40 PM)
Wow. Shocking news. Not that I liked the guy, but wow.
ChiTownBuffalo
(03-01-2012, 02:41 PM)

Knowing the far right media in this country, they'll double down on the most horrible things he did or said and glorify him for it.

benjipwns

He didn't die from these "horrible things" so I don't see the causation really.
speedline
Banned
Died of natural causes at 43? Must be a left-wing conspiracy!
angelfly
(03-01-2012, 02:42 PM)
Very unexpected news. I feel sorry for his family but can't say I'll miss him or his public rants.

Why would it ever?

I don't know anything terrible he's ever done so I can't judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4od4QQVK1o
Last edited by angelfly; 03-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
reggieandTFE
(03-01-2012, 02:42 PM)

Originally Posted by el retorno de los sapos

Use the huffingtonpost?

Nope and the article that explained his relationship to Arianna Huffington made me view him as even more vile. The rhetoric he used in his "reporting" vilified anyone to the left of Hitler as deserving of abuse and ridicule.

Meanwhile, he got his start and made his initial money working for a connected, liberal socialite; if only his followers had the critical thinking ability to look beyond the bullshit he dribbled out his fat, hairy ass into their frothy, gap-toothed mouths.

I was going to play nice, but I read his quotes about Ted Kennedy.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(03-01-2012, 02:44 PM)
That's too bad. 43 is such a young age to go out on. I didn't really like him as a media personality, but this is still unfortunate to hear.

The last I heard from him was when he claimed to have some shocking evidence of Obama doing something bad ior something, and that he was going to release it during the election.
KingGondo
(03-01-2012, 02:44 PM)

He didn't die from these "horrible things" so I don't see the causation really.

I'm not saying that he died from his views or temperament. I'm saying that maybe his death can have a positive symbolic meaning for our political discourse.
benjipwns
(03-01-2012, 02:45 PM)

I'm not saying that he died from his views or temperament. I'm saying that maybe his death can have a positive symbolic meaning for our political discourse.

But what if he died because he came across Obama's Kenyan birth certificate?
birdcity
(03-01-2012, 02:46 PM)
Just read about who the hell this was. This guy had recently stated he had some sort of videos of Obama that would be detrimental to him. Something from college or something.

Conspiracy time! He was assassinated!