• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

web01

MGS3 wont be locked at 30fps if its anything like the PS3 version which gets really bad drops in a few places like the graniny gorki lab.

MGS3 wont be locked at 30fps if its anything like the PS3 version which gets really bad drops in a few places like the graniny gorki lab.

Sure, but if you're going to nitpick stuff. Do it with MGS2 too, which even on PC it dropped to 10fps.
I say that it will be locked at 30fps, but with a few drops, like the one you mentioned.

It'll look great on the Vita if we go by Uncharted captures vs what it really looks like in motion. Buying it. Now the only question is, will the EU version also have a download code for Peace Walker like the PS3 version?

Looks good, but why in the world are they calling it HD when the PSV resolutions isn't even close to HD :/ isn't that flat out lying?

Half the games that come out on PS3/360 today are not really HD. Lets put it this way, this is a hell of alot more HD then anything PSP or other handhelds could do, lol. Its all relative.

Looking forward to this, have the Coll on PS3 but will gladly double dip to play these on the go, not to mention seeing them on the Vita's OLED will be sweet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, the PS3 version aims for 60 fps so drops are possible. If they limit it to 30 fps it actually has a better chance of remaining perfectly stable.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus on Vita is like this. The PS3 version runs at 60 fps but suffers from screen tearing and bits of slowdown while the Vita version is limited to 30 fps yet maintains that 30 fps with zero tearing 99.9% of the time.

I'd imagine that, if it is 30 fps, they were simply seeing too many drops at 60 and decided to go with 30 in order to stabilize.

It's really shitty that they're not including Peace Walker. I know the PSP one is available to download, but transfarring doesn't work from a Vita, proper analogue controls would be nice and the improved graphics wouldn't go amiss.

b3b0p

looks like it skipped upscaled, went straight to aliasing, and maybe upped the colors and contrast a bit.

theBishop

Banned
I'd definitely play Snake Eater on Vita, but I don't know if I can justify this when the HD pack on PS3 includes Peace Walker (which I own, but didn't beat on UMD).

Skilletor

The game looks amazing on Vita no doubt, but the question is why would you want to play cinematic games on a smaller screen when you can play on a big screen instead?

The real question is, when will we see a TRUE Vita Exclusive MGS game?

Because I prefer to play them anywhere I want. If I'm at home in bed and want to play two of the best games ever before I go to sleep, I can. If I want to play it while I'm waiting on my girlfriend to get her nails done, I can. If I want to play it on a long bus ride, I can.

I want to play it anywhere, and I can do that on the Vita.

I am buying this day one. I will not miss out on it, especially because it is two of my favourite games of all time and I can play them in the comfort of my own bed away from the living room and the T.V.

Besides, I can move over my MGSHD saves from the PS3 to the Vita and not miss a beat. This is my Vita killer app, for now anyway. Just being able to transfer saves is the best thing ever.

I think the game looks really good. Most definitely not a fan of the non-native resolution, because I'm sick of that on the PS3 and everywhere (Vita included), but it still looks good. I took a look of it on the Vita directly and it looks very good. I would prefer it be native resolution, but it shouldn't kill my enjoyment of the game unless the framerate is complete shit. Once playing that with the OLED... it will look glorious.

Now, Kojima. Give me an exclusive MGS on the Vita! PLEASE!?

theBishop

Banned
The game looks amazing on Vita no doubt, but the question is why would you want to play cinematic games on a smaller screen when you can play on a big screen instead?

The real question is, when will we see a TRUE Vita Exclusive MGS game?

For the same reason (I imagine) people would play Star Fox or Zelda 64 on 3DS. My big screen has a huge backlog of brand new games. It's more convenient to play older games when the big screen is unavailable.

News Bot

Banned
it looks exactly like the PS2 versions from what i see...

Maybe if:

1) You were playing the PS2 versions on an emulator.
2) You were playing the PS2 versions via a development kit.

Both involve rendering the game at a higher resolution than the PS2 does (640x480, give or take).

dark10x

Maybe if:

1) You were playing the PS2 versions on an emulator.
2) You were playing the PS2 versions via a development kit.

Both involve rendering the game at a higher resolution than the PS2 does (640x480, give or take).
Yeah, I'd imagine the PS2 versions run at 512x448 or something similar so not even a full 640x480.

Grinchy

Banned
At first I thought I wanted this. Then, I thought I might not. I already have Peace Walker on PSP and now that I have a Vita, it's way more playable. I do want to play these HD-ified versions of MGS2 and MGS3, but I think I'd rather just get the PS3 version for the awesome resolution and framerate. If they do some kind of package deal with the PS3 and Vita versions, I'd get that though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how will they stuff all this in a Vita card. How big is the PS3's file?

I won't get this since I got the SE 3DS :(
And I'm enjoining it :)

Yeah, the rest is generally filled by black borders or stretched. So it's amusing when people say there's no difference. Maybe if you're still rolling with a CRT.

\Hugs 44' HD CRT.

News Bot

Banned
Yeah, I'd imagine the PS2 versions run at 512x448 or something similar so not even a full 640x480.

Yeah, the rest is generally filled by black borders or stretched. So it's amusing when people say there's no difference. Maybe if you're still rolling with a CRT.

This might just push me to get a Vita. I really want a Vita for The Show, but I'd seriously drop bones for the original Metal Gear Solid done up in a slightly more HD way. I loved that game. I really didn't like MGS2 or Snake Eater... just too fucking weird for me.

GQman2121

Banned
This might just push me to get a Vita. I really want a Vita for The Show, but I'd seriously drop bones for the original Metal Gear Solid done up in a slightly more HD way. I loved that game. I really didn't like MGS2 or Snake Eater... just too fucking weird for me.
Well then this game is exactly what you don't want then.....

dark10x

Why on earth is this sub-Vita res? :(

Anyway, will get for MGS2. :D EXCITE!
I'm hoping the resolution was sacrificed for performance reasons and MGS2 at least will be 60 fps. The image quality of the MGS2 shots is actually a bit worse so that further increases my suspicion that MGS2 is 60 fps while 3 will be limited to 30.

This *IS* MGS2 and Snake Eater, though.

Wait...

This doesn't include Metal Gear Solid?

What the fuck.

*edit*

Anybody know why they haven't re-released MGS? Like, I thought they remade it for the GameCube after that console was dead, but not for any other systems? Seems like it'd be a lock as a downloadable game on something like the Vita or PSP... anything?

Skilletor

Wait...

What the fuck.

*edit*

Anybody know why they haven't re-released MGS? Like, I thought they remade it for the GameCube after that console was dead, but not for any other systems? Seems like it'd be a lock as a downloadable game on something like the Vita or PSP... anything?

Because Kojima and co. didn't develop that version.

It will be downloadable as a ps1 classic when Vita gets that capability.

dark10x

Wait...

What the fuck.

*edit*

1) The PSX version of MGS1 is simply too old. An "HD" version of it would still look extremely poor as a result. These PS2 games, however, hold up much better and benefit greatly from improvements.

2) The remake that DOES exist, however, was created by Silicon Knights for Gamecube. Kojima wasn't too happy with Twin Snakes and its external development probably plays a role here as well. Porting this around probably has too many issues to deal with.

3) MGS1 *IS* available as a PSOne classic for download, however, so I'm sure they see it as already available. These do not yet work on Vita but I'd imagine support is coming soon.

Oh great, thanks for the info. If that becomes available, I'll get it.

ANybody have any idea how well MGS1 runs as a PSClassic on the PS3? I imagine it runs in a window, which doesn't bother me, but just wondering if anybody has played it

1) The PSX version of MGS1 is simply too old. An "HD" version of it would still look extremely poor as a result.

I'd eleminate the word "still" from this statement. That is, I think it looks great to this day in SD because of its distinctive style. I do agree that it would look bad in HD. Those water color-y face textures that suggest features would suddenly be exposed as just jaggy pixels. As seen in the dream sequence of MGS4.

What I wish they'd do is use that engine to just build MGS1. Half of it is already made.

FC9Gh.jpg

4NWHl.jpg

I'm guessing you slide your thumb up and down the screen to select different weapons/items?

Also, here's the boxart:

Looks awesome, hope it's the same outside of Japan.

MDSLKTR

I really hope they offer a code for mgspw when it's released in america. As good as it is, I don't want to pay for 3 copies of the game. I knew I should have went digital with it on the psp.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really hope they offer a code for mgspw when it's released in america. As good as it is, I don't want to pay for 3 copies of the game. I knew I should have went digital with it on the psp.

That's true but I don't have PW on PSN right now so it would be attractive for me to buy it bundled or separate either way.

Anyone with a Vita can check out this thread on their Vita to get a better idea of how it'll look.

It looks a lot better there compared to my PC screen, that's for sure. The colours most notably (it looks very washed out on my monitor - not so on Vita), but the image quality too. The aliasing around the hair in picture 8 looks BAAAD on my PC, for example, but is pretty much imperceptible on my Vita.

Dress it up however you want but absolutely no Vita game should be shipping without MSAA. Its super cheap, already supported in most games and looks fantastic in combination with the high PPI screen. No excuses.

ViolentP

Resolution be damned. Focusing on technical details over the game itself is a silly effort. Fucking Metal Gear on the road.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dress it up however you want but absolutely no Vita game should be shipping without MSAA. Its super cheap, already supported in most games and looks fantastic in combination with the high PPI screen. No excuses.

I'm not defending the lack of MSAA - I totally agree with you on that. And the larger aliasing on the big edges is still noticeable on Vita's screen. What I said in that post is simultaneously true to my eye though.

XOMTOR

Yikes, sub-native rez (again) and aliasing. The former I could understand but like brain_stew mentioned, the latter is not excusable. At this point, I feel Sony needs to make sure everything released for Vita looks the best it possibly can, especially Metal Gear.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm sick with this talk.
Vita screen is awesome but you can clearly see what's ugly on it. The screen is huge and you'll see every defect on a game, for sure.

Yeah, you can.

But these screens don't look ugly, and they'll look even less ugly when actually displaying on the screen themselves at the proper size, rather than blown up on a web browser.

OmegaZero

No, it runs the same in both modes and is extremely choppy. I picked it up this week as part of the TRU sale as I was curious about the final game and, yeah, it's really bad. It also lacks motion blur, depth of field, and other similar effects so it looks choppy and super pixelated.

I don't know about you, but I clearly saw depth of field in almost every cutscene (assuming you're talking about that blurring of the area not in focus during cutscenes).

And I don't know what "similar effects" are missing from the cutscenes (the only thing that seemed worse was the framerate), but there were effects missing from the gameplay like that glare effect when explosions occur.

Anyway, looks like I will be quadruple-dipping. Can't wait for MGS2 on the go.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I could understand sub-native res if the games were 60FPS, but if the 30FPS news is true, then it's practically inexcusable for games that looks like this. I can understand it with Uncharted, but not with this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh. I might be tempted to double dip on MGS2 just to have it on my Vita, but I'll stick with the PS3 HD collection. After playing MGS3 in 60FPS, I can't go back.

blackflag

Looks a bit weird to me but I'm in. Only one I finished was the first one. PS2 disk read error while I was playing the 2nd one. I started the 3rd one right before MGS HS was announced so I stopped when they announced it.

Top Bottom