• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

HylianTom

Banned
So Nintendo Ninjas have IdeaMan tied up now and floating a slice of Chicago Pizza under his nose to torture him?

I hope it has extra cheese I like extra cheese

good news comes in 3s

Legend of Korra

Kid Icarus Uprising's ending credits

IdeaMan to escape from Nintendo Ninja's torture chambers of Chicago Pizza

so stay tuned... for the next exciting episode of IDEAMAN, same Idea Time, same Idea channel.

will wii say wow?

Sounds like a new IP..

Instro

wcOVS.png

cant help myself what you waiting for anyway?

You know, it took me forever to understand this joke because I used the Japanese voices the whole time.

Azure J

So this thread has turned into a melting pot of the Korra fanbase, net sleuths and graphics experts, and more speculation/optimistic pining for new Wii U news? Awesome. :lol

Rösti;36141185 said:
Kinda peculiar that article hasn't been brought up earlier considering it was posted on the 8th of June last year. I also find it strange it says the GPU is not a derivative of the Radeon line, seeing as that is what is says on the Nintendo Network @ E3 2011 site and also on the fact sheet that was published in conjunction with E3 2011.

Translation:

Well, it says "GPU: AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU." in the fact sheet, so perhaps it's only based on the architecture and not any solid frequencies etc.

http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/index.html

It remained on my mind ever since the unveil and was always the reason why I strongly stated that nothing's final until we get the spec sheet or see a teardown on launch day. I hope no one actually thought Nintendo was straight up buying RV770LEs "now with new hat more tesselators" and chucking them en masse into the console. :lol

It's still good to speculate on everything though.

EDIT: Wow, I only have 15 posts in this entire thread and I was one of the first guys getting deep into things with bgassasin?

HylianTom

Banned
I didn't deny the 2GB possibility at all. I think i have enough talked about the Wii U memory state, go back to thread part 2 and you'll see that there's more (with the following answers to the first post concerning that) than just "it's more than 1GB".

To sum up, Nintendo are apparently aiming for a memory quantity in the retail version bigger than 1GB (or a weird number like 1,2GB), and this made me surprised. It's between 1,5GB included and 2GB included. It's in a V4/V5 dev kit context, so the situation could change after. It will be the final precision of my previous informations regarding that :)

I've pretty much settled on the idea that Nintendo will go with 2GB. It'd be more consistent with their whole "pursuing the hardcore" agenda.

And I had some great shrimp and grits yesterday with aioli.. mm..

So this thread has turned into a melting pot of the Korra fanbase, net sleuths and graphics experts, and more speculation/optimistic pining for new Wii U news? Awesome. :lol

So much better when this place is goofy and optimistic..

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk about ninjas and NDAs could warrant a small update. From the abridged version of the NDA:

4. Confidential Information. "Confidential Information" means information provided to Company by Nintendo, or a third party under a confidentiality obligation
to Nintendo, in oral, demonstrative, written, graphic or machine-readable form, relating to Nintendo products, services or business, including but not limited to: (a)
information, know-how, techniques, methods, concepts, ideas, development tools or kits, emulator boards, specifications, prototypes, or trade secrets; (b) patent
applications and information related thereto; (c) business, marketing, customer or sales plans, strategy or information; (d) development, design, operation, or
manufacturing information; (e) information received from others that Nintendo is obligated to keep confidential; (f) passwords, access or security codes necessary to
access or use Nintendo's secure websites, news groups, developer conferences or similar collaborative or teaching sessions, and any information contained therein;
and (g) this Agreement and its terms and conditions, and any communications related thereto.
5. Location. Company will keep the Confidential Information only at its secure location(s) and its Subsidiaries secure location(s) approved by Nintendo.​

Source: https://www.warioworld.com/apply/devapplication.asp

Except for neuroimaging/telepathy, I can think of no other ways of communication with which you could tell confidential things about Wii U without breaking the NDA.

THE:MILKMAN

I've pretty much settled on the idea that Nintendo will go with 2GB. It'd be more consistent with their whole "pursuing the hardcore" agenda.

And I had some great shrimp and grits yesterday with aioli.. mm..

So much better when this place is goofy and optimistic..

With what IdeaMan has hinted to us, 2GB makes most sense to me. Nintendo like to have balanced systems and I think it will breakdown 1.5GB available for games (512MB per CPU core if you like) and 512MB available for the OS.

Rösti;36142427 said:
All this talk about ninjas and NDAs could warrant a small update. From the abridged version of the NDA:

4. Confidential Information. "Confidential Information" means information provided to Company by Nintendo, or a third party under a confidentiality obligation
to Nintendo, in oral, demonstrative, written, graphic or machine-readable form, relating to Nintendo products, services or business, including but not limited to: (a)
information, know-how, techniques, methods, concepts, ideas, development tools or kits, emulator boards, specifications, prototypes, or trade secrets; (b) patent
applications and information related thereto; (c) business, marketing, customer or sales plans, strategy or information; (d) development, design, operation, or
manufacturing information; (e) information received from others that Nintendo is obligated to keep confidential; (f) passwords, access or security codes necessary to
access or use Nintendo's secure websites, news groups, developer conferences or similar collaborative or teaching sessions, and any information contained therein;
and (g) this Agreement and its terms and conditions, and any communications related thereto.
5. Location. Company will keep the Confidential Information only at its secure location(s) and its Subsidiaries secure location(s) approved by Nintendo.​

Except for neuroimaging/telepathy, I can think of no other ways of communication with which you could tell confidential things about Wii U without breaking the NDA.

EEu4D.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
With what IdeaMan has hinted to us, 2GB makes most sense to me. Nintendo like to have balanced systems and I think it will breakdown 1.5GB available for games (512MB per CPU core if you like) and 512MB available for the OS.

But doesn't Nintendo like to use odd amounts of memory? That'd be my main hangup on the whole theory..

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36142427 said:

Does "demonstrative" include communication via Charades?

(first word: 1 syllable, etc etc..)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You know what the worst part of your goddamn post is?

It's probably right.

I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as yet another day goes by without even a sniff of news.

This is murder waiting for news.

Green Yoshi

Man, if we only would knew a goddamn thing about GPU and CPU..

I don't expect it to be so powerful as current GPUs for PC, but I hope it's way faster than the Xbox 360. Great console for sure, but almost seven years old.
But Wii was only as powerful as the Xbox 1, so perhaps WiiU is only as powerful als Xbox 360.

HylianTom

Banned
I very very very VERY much want to know how many ROPs the GPU has. I'll be so disappointed if it's only 8 like Xenos and RSX.

I'll bet IdeaMan knows exactly how many, but won't tell us :/

I wonder.. hey, IdeaMan: are you cut-off from your source(s) now, or is the info you have still evolving?
(I might've missed this tidbit..)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I wonder.. hey, IdeaMan: are you cut-off from your source(s) now, or is the info you have still evolving?
(I might've missed this tidbit..)

It's evolving a bit.

For some others: i'm currently writing what i wanted to share today. Just be patient guys and talk about something else :(

HylianTom

Banned
It's evolving a bit.

For some others: i'm currently writing what i wanted to share today. Just be patient guys and talk about something else :(

Cool.. thanks much!

(we can always find something else goofy to talk about around here.. I plan on re-starting the Nintendo Juicy™ rumor!)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Someone refresh my memory: Why are we taking everything IdeaMan is saying at face value again?

Iherre and him have spoken via PM and Iherre has stated that he knows quite a bit about the system. That's the best we can do to believe him aside from mod confirmation (since idea man isn't a developer).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt anything new will surface from it, but the Embedded Systems Conference 2012 takes place between 27th of March - 29th of March, and AMD will be exhibiting. It's at the The San Jose McEnery Convention Center in San Jose. I don't know if "anyone" can attend or if you need to be a developer of some sort, but an Expo Pass is free and provides access to 250+ exhibitors, sponsored sessions, show floor theater events, keynotes and more. If anyone can get there AMD could be asked about the Wii U GPU; now, they exhibited at GDC as well but that's not as techy as this event. Do we have anyone in this thread that lives in San Jose or nearby?

IBM's Systems and Technology Group has its 2012 IBM Power Systems Technical Symposium on the 16th of April. It mainly concerns deep computing and features keynotes on recent developments in this area, but seeing as Wii U's CPU is based on a POWER system (said to be similar in design to what IBM Watson uses, which is an IBM Power 750 system), perhaps a tiny note on it will be mentioned.

IBM 1Q 2012 Earnings Announcement will happen on the 17th of April. It's very lengthy but always comes with a Q&A, from where questions about Wii U's CPU may come. It's of course a long shot and I expect absolutely nothing from this, but chance is that some investor may be requested to ask. I don't know if they will offer questions through phone sessions (it's usually standard), but if they do some bold fella could certainly call and ask about this hardware ordeal and what IBM is currently doing in relation to the processor.

Sources: http://www.ubmdesign.com/pricing-and-packages, http://www.ibm.com/investor/events/

Just small talk while IdeaMan readies his reveal.

Rösti;36144358 said:
I doubt anything new will surface from it, but the Embedded Systems Conference 2012 takes place between 27th of March - 29th of March, and AMD will be exhibiting. It's at the The San Jose McEnery Convention Center in San Jose. I don't know if "anyone" can attend or if you need to be a developer of some sort, but an Expo Pass is free and provides access to 250+ exhibitors, sponsored sessions, show floor theater events, keynotes and more. If anyone can get there AMD could be asked about the Wii U GPU; now, they exhibited at GDC as well but that's not as techy as this event. Do we have anyone in this thread that lives in San Jose or nearby?

IBM's Systems and Technology Group has its 2012 IBM Power Systems Technical Symposium on the 16th of April. It mainly concerns deep computing and features keynotes on recent developments in this area, but seeing as Wii U's CPU is based on a POWER system (said to be similar in design to what IBM Watson uses, which is an IBM Power 750 system), perhaps a tiny note on it will be mentioned.

IBM 1Q 2012 Earnings Announcement will happen on the 17th of April. It's very lengthy but always comes with a Q&A, from where questions about Wii U's CPU may come. It's of course a long shot and I expect absolutely nothing from this, but chance is that some investor may be requested to ask. I don't know if they will offer questions through phone sessions (it's usually standard), but if they do some bold fella could certainly call and ask about this hardware ordeal and what IBM is currently doing in relation to the processor.

Sources: http://www.ubmdesign.com/pricing-and-packages, http://www.ibm.com/investor/events/

Just small talk while IdeaMan readies his reveal.

Thank you, Rösti, for pointing these things out.

Top Bottom