• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jipan
Member
(03-21-2012, 12:56 AM)
Jipan's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob page

Jipan, prepare to have your stereotypes about Williamsburg destroyed. Can't believe you've never been here.

Oh, and the drinks there are like $13 for a liter, $7 for 0.5L, $20 for 1.5L. Considering how high the % is, it's not bad at all. Certainly not any different than Manhattan.


If it's 9 or past that, we should be fine. The place is usually most packed at around dinner time (since they make some pretty awesome, authentic German food. dem brats).

Like I said, I've lived in NY all my life, but I've never had much of a reason to go to Brooklyn. Off the top of my head, I've been to DUMBO (last New Years), Coney Island several times, got lost somewhere near Jay Street once trying to find Atlantic Ave at 2 AM, some restaurant in Bushwick I think to watch my bro play a gig, went to some beach/park somewhere where there were a ton of nice houses and lots of Russian business for my brother's girlfriend's baby shower last year and that's about it. Oh and I accidentally got off in Nostrand Ave once scared and confused. The drinks are reasonable I suppose. It's still kind of pricey though unless we order pitchers.

I'm surrounded by hipster type students every day I'm at school. Especially in my art classes. I'm expecting to see skinny skater jeans, people drinking wine, and lugging around portable record players playing Louis Armstrong.

Originally Posted by jasonng

Given how this forums has a distaste for hipsters (and a lack of definition for one), I'm not too terribly surprised.

Says the guy who likes wearing ties to every meet up. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself. I find them annoying if anything.
Last edited by Jipan; 03-21-2012 at 01:20 AM.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:01 AM)
bob page's Avatar
Jipan: the hipster's hipster.
RawPower
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:02 AM)
I'll be the punkest dude there, just like last time.
Kccitystar
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:03 AM)
Kccitystar's Avatar
I just might invite a wingwoman since she lives down the L line. Should be an epic time.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-21-2012, 01:03 AM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar
This will be my first time there too. How is it in Williamsburg?

I can wingman who ever we got this.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:05 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by smokeymicpot

This will be my first time there too. How is it in Williamsburg?

I can wingman who ever we got this.

To be honest, it has some of the best bars in the city. Not to mention some great drunk food.

And yeah, I've never been carded in Brooklyn and I look like I'm 15.

Radegast is even bigger now than it is in that pic. They just built a huge expansion in the back so we should be set (they have three main halls total).
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:05 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

My buddy lives just down the road from this joint and is my fave drinking hole in Brooklyn...........which burns me even more I can't be there.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:06 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jipan

I'm surrounded by hipster type students every day I'm at school. Especially in my art classes. I'm expecting to see skinny skater jeans, people drinking wine, and lugging around portable record players playing Louis Armstrong.


Says the guy who likes wearing ties to every meet up. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself. I find them annoying if anything.

There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:09 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar
If by "hipsters" you mean "a hot, young crowd", I agree 100%.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:10 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

If by "hipsters" you mean "a hot, young crowd", I agree 100%.

HAH. Yes. This.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:10 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay

There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.

Yeah, same here. I'm not too fond of the "hipster by attitude" type, since they tend to be more moody and egotistical. I wear clothes that fit me, and since I'm pretty skinny, some tend to think I'm a hipster.

Point being, judge by attitude, not appearance. Especially in New York, since everyone else in the US pretty much considers all New Yorkers to be hipsters (ie. getting called a hipster in Michigan for wearing a v-neck).
Last edited by bob page; 03-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Duki
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:11 AM)
Duki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay

There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.

how dare you, odb isnt dumb >:(
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:13 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duki

how dare you, odb isnt dumb >:(

No, he really isn't. ODB makes me feel awesome. I'll listen to a ODB song coming into work a lot of times. Great way to start the day.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:16 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob page

Yeah, same here. I'm not too fond of the "hipster by attitude" type, since they tend to be more moody and egotistical..

believe me, they are much cooler people than those wannabes who drive in from Jersey to hang out in the city. I lived in the city and would hang out there more.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:17 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

believe me, they are much cooler people than those wannabes who drive in from Jersey to hang out in the city. I lived in the city and would hang out there more.

Don't even get me started with that... haha.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-21-2012, 01:19 AM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob page

To be honest, it has some of the best bars in the city. Not to mention some great drunk food.

And yeah, I've never been carded in Brooklyn and I look like I'm 15.

Radegast is even bigger now than it is in that pic. They just built a huge expansion in the back so we should be set (they have three main halls total).

Alright awesome I am exicted.
Prologue
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:22 AM)
Prologue's Avatar
What did you guys do last time? Just hang and chill?
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:24 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prologue

What did you guys do last time? Just hang and chill?

Got drunk at one bar, went to another and drank more/played pool, then the other guys stumbled to Times Square and became champions.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:28 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by jasonng

Williamsburg is pretty laid back with IDing. In fact I dont think I was ever carded there.

If a few of us want to start early, we can always go to McClaren Park during the day and drink. Turkey's Nest is a bar across the street from the park and they pour cheap beer in huge styrofoam cups so you can drink outdoors. There's also Berry Park which has rooftop seating. Case in point, I'd like to take full advantage of the beautiful weather we're having.

Totally missed this. I'd be down for pregaming there, as well.
jasonng
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:29 AM)
jasonng's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prologue

What did you guys do last time? Just hang and chill?

You mean besides having a huge Gaf orgy?
number47
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:30 AM)
number47's Avatar
DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK.
OHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

some people should be there early to secure the perimeter...i mean a table.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:30 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by jasonng

You mean besides having a huge Gaf orgy?

So you're saying I should just arrive with a sign around my neck that says "I'M HERE FOR THE GANG BANG"?
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:32 AM)
Mully's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay

So you're saying I should just arrive with a sign around my neck that says "I'M HERE FOR THE GANG BANG"?

Yes.
Schattenjäger
(03-21-2012, 01:33 AM)
Schattenjäger's Avatar
I wouldnt even call the people in Williamsburg hipsters. They are all wannabe hipsters. Theres a difference.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:37 AM)
Mully's Avatar

Originally Posted by Schattenjagger

I wouldnt even call the people in Williamsburg hipsters. They are all wannabe hipsters. Theres a difference.

Queens is the next hipsterville. No one really knows about it, and it was on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:44 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

Queens is the next hipsterville. No one really knows about it, and it was on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

Queens is where it's at. I'm in Long Island City and I love it there. Really chill area. Still a little grimy but I like some grime.
Jipan
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:46 AM)
Jipan's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob page

Jipan: the hipster's hipster.

Haha, that I am. This is going to be the first beer garden I go to ever. I've heard that one that it's in Queens is really good. Admittedly, I've only been to the fictional Steinway Beer Garden in GTA IV . It looks like a nice place.

Originally Posted by Kccitystar

I just might invite a wingwoman since she lives down the L line. Should be an epic time.

Aren't you going to the Nero concert with -PXG- and Wizong?

Now that I think about it. I answered my own question in an earlier post. You guys are planning on heading over afterwards. The more, the merrier.

Originally Posted by Mahonay

There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.

I've got nothing against them either and respect the culture. Typically, when I think of hipsters, I think of gentrification right away. But it's not like I would go up to one in the street and curse them out.

It's probably because I live in a neighborhood where gentrification is inevitable. I don't judge a person based on what subculture they belong to nor if they come from a higher socioeconomic status. It's true that in the end of the day it comes down to personality. I suppose I'm a hipster in my own way in that I like to listen to old music (think old Spanish music). I totally respect that though.
Shiggie
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:50 AM)
Shiggie's Avatar
fuck, count me in. Should be fun to know some new faces.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 01:53 AM)
Mully's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay

Queens is where it's at. I'm in Long Island City and I love it there. Really chill area. Still a little grimy but I like some grime.

How's rent over in Sunnyside? I'd love to live near Queens Boulevard.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:54 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

How's rent over in Sunnyside? I'd love to live near Queens Boulevard.

I'm planning on moving to Astoria in 2 months and it's around $2000 for a 1BR in a brand new building. Something similar would cost at least $1000 more in BK.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:56 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

How's rent over in Sunnyside? I'd love to live near Queens Boulevard.

Originally Posted by bob page

I'm planning on moving to Astoria in 2 months and it's around $2000 for a 1BR in a brand new building. Something similar would cost at least $1000 more in BK.

Eesh. My roommate and I have a 2 bedroom in a townhouse in LIC and it's $1,800. We even have a washer and dryer in the basement free for anyone's use which is PIMP.
Dmncnby2k9
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:57 AM)
Dmncnby2k9's Avatar

Originally Posted by bob page

I'm planning on moving to Astoria in 2 months and it's around $2000 for a 1BR in a brand new building. Something similar would cost at least $1000 more in BK.

I was in Astoria yesterday. Went to eat at a Puerto Rican restaurant, Don Coqui. Prices are a bit up there but damn was the food good! nice looking place 2.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 01:58 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay

Eesh. My roommate and I have a 2 bedroom in a townhouse in LIC and it's $1,800.

Well, it's an extreme since it's literally brand new without any prior residents. I saw plenty of listings for decent places in the $1200-1600 range.
Kccitystar
Member
(03-21-2012, 02:06 AM)
Kccitystar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jipan

Aren't you going to the Nero concert with -PXG- and Wizong?

Now that I think about it. I answered my own question in an earlier post. You guys are planning on heading over afterwards. The more, the merrier.

Actually I wasn't able to score a ticket in time since I went to go see Justice on the 17th. It's a wild time to be a fan of EDM here in the city since there's a ridiculous amount of acts playing this weekend and next weekend q_q
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 02:08 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by Schattenjagger

I wouldnt even call the people in Williamsburg hipsters. They are all wannabe hipsters. Theres a difference.

No that's the people who hang out in the East Village.
Jipan
Member
(03-21-2012, 03:04 AM)
Jipan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kccitystar

Actually I wasn't able to score a ticket in time since I went to go see Justice on the 17th. It's a wild time to be a fan of EDM here in the city since there's a ridiculous amount of acts playing this weekend and next weekend q_q

Oh yeah, I remember you guys were talking about that. I could imagine the whole concert scene being crazy around this time. Well at least you'll be at the meet up full force. Hopefully -PXG- will too if he posts in this thread.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 03:53 AM)
Mully's Avatar
Childish Gambino is having a show at Central Park on July 25th, I'm probably going with some friends. It's $40 day of, so it's a good time.
bob page
Member
(03-21-2012, 04:21 AM)
bob page's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

Childish Gambino is having a show at Central Park on July 25th, I'm probably going with some friends. It's $40 day of, so it's a good time.

I was at his show in Detroit last year...great stuff.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-21-2012, 05:17 AM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prologue

What did you guys do last time? Just hang and chill?

Drank had a awesome time. Wandered around got McDonalds been awesome. Hopefully this one is the same.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 05:27 AM)
Mully's Avatar
OP's been updated. I'm starting to get a headcount as we speak, if you haven't posted yet, it'd be great to let us all know if you're coming.
Mahonay
Member
(03-21-2012, 05:32 AM)
Mahonay's Avatar
You can mark me down for the meetup as well as the pre-gaming before hand.
gutterboy44
Member
(03-21-2012, 05:37 AM)
gutterboy44's Avatar
Getting sauced with some GAFers I have never met before in Billyburg... definitely down. *subscribed*

I am bummed that I have missed the last three NYC meetups. G train or not, I'll try to make it.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 05:48 AM)
Mully's Avatar
Just based on general interest and a few people saying that they are "in", this is the list I have now. If you're on the wrong list, or not on the coming list, post in the thread or PM me. The list will be updated as it gets closer.

Coming

Jipan
Smokey
KC
Mahonay
Jamieson87
RawPower
Raging Spaniard
Jon Bones
Emily Chu
Commish
Acid08
Dmncby2k9
Number47
Shiggie
Bob Page
Gutterboy44

Maybe

JasonG
Slayer-33
Mammoth Jones
Houston3000
Joe Shlabotnik
Enduin
Prolougue
Schattnejagger

Not Coming

Dr. Eggman

Last edited by Mully; 03-21-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 06:08 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mully

Just based on general interest and a few people saying that they are "in", this is the list I have now. If you're on the wrong list, or not on the coming list, post in the thread or PM me. The list will be updated as it gets closer.

Coming



Maybe



Not Coming

Not sure how I ended up on the maybe list, but I definitely won't be there as it's a 40 hour round trip for me..........by airplane.

But please free feel to have a cold one for me in my absence.
Last edited by Para bailar La Bomba; 03-21-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(03-21-2012, 06:09 AM)
Father_Brain's Avatar
Will be in Seattle. Next time?
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-21-2012, 06:10 AM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

Not sure how I ended up on the maybe list, but I definitely won't be there as it would be a 40 hour round trip for me..........by airplane.

Would be worth it.
Ezalc
Member
(03-21-2012, 06:24 AM)
Ezalc's Avatar
How do you guys even know who's from GAF and who isn't? I wish I could go to this, I'd definitely enjoy playing pool with some GAFers.
Mully
Banned
(03-21-2012, 06:29 AM)
Mully's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ezalc

How do you guys even know who's from GAF and who isn't? I wish I could go to this, I'd definitely enjoy playing pool with some GAFers.

We might do name tags.
Para bailar La Bomba
Banned
(03-21-2012, 06:34 AM)
Para bailar La Bomba's Avatar

Originally Posted by smokeymicpot

Would be worth it.

Get 2,000 people to throw in a buck and I'm there.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-21-2012, 06:37 AM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ezalc

How do you guys even know who's from GAF and who isn't? I wish I could go to this, I'd definitely enjoy playing pool with some GAFers.

Most of us are posting on gaf while there. That is what happened Third and Long. Emily Chu sat next to me while he was browsing gaf and I was like Oh shit. Then others came in and you know who is a gaffer just by how they are.

Originally Posted by Mully

We might do name tags.

Name tags are lame.

Originally Posted by Para bailar La Bomba

Get 2,000 people to throw in a buck and I'm there.

If 2,000 people came to this I would throw a buck in.

Thread Tools