• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

SpacePirate Ridley
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:19 AM)
SpacePirate Ridley's Avatar
Played level 1 with Intensity 9. The game fucks you apart (also its official, flying sections are much harder), I was killed just before i got to twinbellows because some fucker decided me to shot me from behind after getting out the intensity gate with the tank), but I could kill twinbellows with intensity 8 (and do the same road to it again) just fine.

Intensity 9 is just too much I think. I hope theres not an achivement for beating a level (or the game) with intensity 9. (theres one for playing any level with intensity 9 though even if you are killed).
Also you get pretty amzing weapons.
Guesong
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:19 AM)
Guesong's Avatar
Just started it.

I can definitively see handcramps in my near future if I want to play this on bus or at school without the support.

But damn. Why is this game so good. Voice acting and writing also really stands out for a Nintendo game.

So good.
PK Gaming
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:19 AM)
Hey look, an Exo tank!
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-27-2012, 01:23 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hylian7

I'm not really defending the controls per se, but they definitely fall under the category of "you adapt to them, they don't adapt to you". I have had more success aiming with the touch screen instead of the Circle Pad though.

Chapter 19 spoilers: I was fucking dying at the loading screen joke.
Chapter 20 help!: I seem to be lost in an area with a door with a lock on it at the end of a short staircase. I've been wandering around and can't figure it out.

find the key in the lower level
JazzmanZ
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:23 AM)
JazzmanZ's Avatar
Just received my Nintendo power and it came with 3 Kid Icarus cards.

Medusa (Battle), Thanatos and Poseidon
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(03-27-2012, 01:28 AM)
nicoga3000's Avatar
Neat, got my AR cards in the mail today from the Club Nintendo special.

Palutena (Rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm

I'm clueless on these things. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this while Best Buy still has the $30 special price going on. Everyone speaking such crazy praise is giving me the itch. Is the multiplayer really broken feeling or is it pretty balanced?
Korosenai
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:33 AM)
Korosenai's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

Neat, got my AR cards in the mail today from the Club Nintendo special.

Palutena (Rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm

I'm clueless on these things. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this while Best Buy still has the $30 special price going on. Everyone speaking such crazy praise is giving me the itch. Is the multiplayer really broken feeling or is it pretty balanced?

Multiplayer is completely balanced. Every weapon has their own person, and are useful in their own scenarios. And if you have a super good weapon that does good damage, then when you die, your teams meter drains faster, so you need to find a good balance between damage and value.
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(03-27-2012, 01:35 AM)
Fantastical's Avatar

Originally Posted by marc^o^

I understand your point, though I have a different point view on this question. Take PES Team Maker on wii for an analogy: Konami created the most innovative controls in a sports game ever. Yet less people than expected bothered dealing with the learning curve in the first releases. So they added classic controller support in the latest editions. The result is fewer people bought it and those who did (I take my friends and online opponents as a sample) went to what they knew, classic controls. Instead of imposing their vision of a brand new gameplay, Konami tried to compromise. And they failed at making Team maker controls a popular setup in the process.

Kid Icarus is an author game, with an ideal control set up in mind, which is based around the stylus/touchscreen. And I'm glad most people will have to try it. Because for all those who will not like it, there will be others who will have a revelation of how good it is to play like that.

And there's a benefit for me, as more 3DS (and Wii U) developpers will be able build on KI's audience, now familiar with such controls.

The difference is that the Wiimote makes for a fantastic control scheme where as the 3DS doesn't. You shouldn't emphasize an inferior control scheme just because your handheld lacks features.
Oni Link 666
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:39 AM)

Originally Posted by massoluk

That wasn't my point man. I'm all for dual analog support on ccp. But making it default will change the game drastically, not "without sacrificing much."

When I was saying 180 turn, I should have said 360 turn, where you can looking around and targeting various surround enemies at a much greater speed.

I didn't quote you and I wasn't talking about your earlier post. You're arguing against points I did not make.
branny
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:40 AM)
branny's Avatar
Playing this game is like opening a bottomless present box.
Darryl
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:41 AM)
Darryl's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

I'm clueless on these things. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this while Best Buy still has the $30 special price going on. Everyone speaking such crazy praise is giving me the itch. Is the multiplayer really broken feeling or is it pretty balanced?

i don't think there's much opportunity for this game to be dramatically unbalanced. powerful weapons murder your teams health bar faster on death. matches are usually short so you can counter pretty fast. you can counter not only by changing your weapon, but by trying to equip different abilities. even if your team is out-matched with their weapons, there's items on the stage that can really mix things up.
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(03-27-2012, 01:43 AM)
nicoga3000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darryl

i don't think there's much opportunity for this game to be dramatically unbalanced. powerful weapons murder your teams health bar faster on death. matches are usually short so you can counter pretty fast. you can counter not only by changing your weapon, but by trying to equip different abilities. even if your team is out-matched with their weapons, there's items on the stage that can really mix things up.

Originally Posted by NubInaTub

Multiplayer is completely balanced. Every weapon has their own person, and are useful in their own scenarios. And if you have a super good weapon that does good damage, then when you die, your teams meter drains faster, so you need to find a good balance between damage and value.

Thanks guys. That's sort of what I was hoping to hear. :)
stalker
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:45 AM)
stalker's Avatar
I just "bought" 144 cards from Club Nintendo (Spain). It's been 25 years since the last time. I hope I don't get too many repeats. I wish I had more points.
gryz
Banned
(03-27-2012, 01:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Door2Dawn

Yeah if they choose to make a sequel they need to drop these controls.

yeah I also picked this up based on all the recommendations. controls take a bit of getting used to especially since ive mainly been playing vita lately. Why can't I use the big left trigger on the circle pad pro instead of the tiny 3DS L button?
daffy
Banned
(03-27-2012, 01:51 AM)
daffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastical

The difference is that the Wiimote makes for a fantastic control scheme where as the 3DS doesn't. You shouldn't emphasize an inferior control scheme just because your handheld lacks features.

This.
Fletcher
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:55 AM)
Fletcher's Avatar
Still really really like this game.
schlew
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:55 AM)
schlew's Avatar

Originally Posted by gryz

yeah I also picked this up based on all the recommendations. controls take a bit of getting used to especially since ive mainly been playing vita lately. Why can't I use the big left trigger on the circle pad pro instead of the tiny 3DS L button?

I'm a lefty, and when I use the CPP, I moved the Attack command to the L button, and for some crazy reason, it let me use ZR (the bigger button) as the fire button. So for you, try moving the Attack command to the R button, and hopefully you can use RL as your fire button.
nckillthegrimace
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:56 AM)
nckillthegrimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by daffy

This.

But the stylus controls are superior to dual analog sticks in every way except comfort. Are you so mollycoddled that you can't deal with a little discomfort?
salpa
Banned
(03-27-2012, 01:58 AM)
Ground controls are great. Mildly discomforting at first, but damn accurate.
Busaiku
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:58 AM)
Busaiku's Avatar
Graaah I'm gonna KEEL you.
Fletcher
Member
(03-27-2012, 01:59 AM)
Fletcher's Avatar
Yeah. I don't think twin sticks would have been fast enough for this game. Really should have been a Wii game. Hopefully this sells well enough that they make the next one for it (or WiiU).
NEO0MJ
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:00 AM)
NEO0MJ's Avatar
Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.
Franchuzas87
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:01 AM)
Franchuzas87's Avatar
Game beaten. Lol at that pre final battle talk...

- ¡Hades!
- ¡Pit!
- ¡Haaades!
- ¡Piiit!
- ¡HAAAADEEES!
- ¡PIIIIITT!
moozoom
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:01 AM)
moozoom's Avatar
Just got the V-jumps Kid Icarus Uprising guide book !

The book contains :
  • a section with characters art and presentation
  • a strategy guide with maps of the levels
  • illustrated charts with all the enemies, the weapons and the powers
  • some sealed pages with secrets (didn't open it yet)
  • a manga and many illustrations throughout the book
  • two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)
  • 24 AR cards that must be punched out (a little smaller than those you get in the blisters)

Some ugly pics I took :

I didn't have much time to play the game (just finished chapter 3) so I'll keep the secrets sealed till I finish it to avoid spoiling myself...
PK Gaming
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:15 AM)
That absolutely needs to be brought stateside.

But it probably won't happen :<
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-27-2012, 02:16 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
I don't like this palm very much. My beam claws and their giant laser were way cooler.
branny
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:18 AM)
branny's Avatar

Originally Posted by NEO0MJ

Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.

For me, ABXY movement + Circle Pad aiming with sensitivity cranked up. Most other lefties here are using ABXY movement with stylus aiming while some are even just playing with the default righty scheme. I could never adjust to using a nunchuck in my right hand on the Wii, but that's not an issue with this game for some odd reason.

Originally Posted by Fletcher

Yeah. I don't think twin sticks would have been fast enough for this game. Really should have been a Wii game. Hopefully this sells well enough that they make the next one for it (or WiiU).

See, I don't understand comments like this because the game has a scheme like that already and plays perfectly fine with it.
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-27-2012, 02:24 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
where is the secret option mode to change who you offer hearts to?
Oni Link 666
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

where is the secret option mode to change who you offer hearts to?

From the main menu, Options > Other > Hidden Options.
MyEpitomeCliché
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:34 AM)
MyEpitomeCliché's Avatar
Just wanted to contribute to the acclaim for this game. I'm only at Chapter 5, but so far, it's been so damn fun to play. This might be my favorite thing Nintendo has done since Wind Waker.
Darryl
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:35 AM)
Darryl's Avatar

Originally Posted by branny

See, I don't understand comments like this because the game has a scheme like that already and plays perfectly fine with it.

i don't know if it's possible for me to match my stylus speed using the circle pad. i've certainly tried.
Alchemy
Banned
(03-27-2012, 02:40 AM)
Alchemy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Truth101

An hour is a short learning curve.

You don't expect to master Smash Bros games in an hour do you?

Master != Not feeling inept

I certainly can and did learn the basic controls of Smash Bros in minutes. That doesn't mean shit about game knowledge though or practicing high level execution like wave dashing.
zroid
Banned
(03-27-2012, 02:41 AM)
I've tried aiming with the circle pad, but I really can't get a handle on it. For some reason the bounding box turning doesn't do it for me. I don't love the "globe spinning" system, but it certainly seems to work better and more snappily than the circle pad. I don't know, it's just awkward.

I think Sakurai had the right idea with the controls. Definitely weird, and a little uncomfortable, but it works brilliantly.
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-27-2012, 02:43 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oni Link 666

From the main menu, Options > Other > Hidden Options.

cool where is it hidden?
Bullza2o
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:45 AM)
Bullza2o's Avatar

Originally Posted by moozoom

Just got the V-jumps Kid Icarus Uprising guide book !


The book contains :

  • a section with characters art and presentation
  • a strategy guide with maps of the levels
  • illustrated charts with all the enemies, the weapons and the powers
  • some sealed pages with secrets (didn't open it yet)
  • a manga and many illustrations throughout the book
  • two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)
  • 24 AR cards that must be punched out (a little smaller than those you get in the blisters)

Some ugly pics I took :


I didn't have much time to play the game (just finished chapter 3) so I'll keep the secrets sealed till I finish it to avoid spoiling myself...

Do you live in Japan? If you live in US, or for anyone from US who got this, is it available at Mitsuwa? I wanna get one.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-27-2012, 02:51 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
Chapter 18

Holy dicks what is going on
zroid
Banned
(03-27-2012, 02:51 AM)
Actually I'm surprised there isn't an official guide book for KI:U in North America. With the sheer amount of shit in this game, it would seem opportune to have one.

I'd probably buy it.
KaYotiX
Banned
(03-27-2012, 02:53 AM)
KaYotiX's Avatar
love this game! i just wish it was more comfortable to play without the stand. so glad i bought it though. tons of fun
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(03-27-2012, 02:56 AM)
This game is shockingly dark for how light hearted it seems to be
pelicansurf
Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
(03-27-2012, 02:58 AM)
pelicansurf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oni Link 666

From the main menu, Options > Other > Hidden Options.

What's this all about?
Splash Wave
Member
(03-27-2012, 02:59 AM)
Splash Wave's Avatar

Originally Posted by NEO0MJ

Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.

I've just been using the right-handed control scheme, which is difficult but doable. I don't own the CCP, and I really can't stand moving with the face buttons. To my surprise, aiming hasn't been much of an issue.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(03-27-2012, 03:00 AM)

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

What's this all about?

Go beat the game
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-27-2012, 03:00 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oni Link 666

From the main menu, Options > Other > Hidden Options.

okay u have to beat the game to get this
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(03-27-2012, 03:03 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

Actually I'm surprised there isn't an official guide book for KI:U in North America. With the sheer amount of shit in this game, it would seem opportune to have one.

I'd probably buy it.

I would spend money on this if I knew it was 100% complete everything
http://www.primagames.com/games/kid-...rimaguides/304
lunch
there's ALWAYS ONE
(03-27-2012, 03:03 AM)

Originally Posted by NEO0MJ

Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.

I got through the first couple moving the reticle with my thumb like the game suggests and was finding it manageable. I just got my Circle Pad Pro and was hoping it would alleviate some of my control issues. I really hate it. Like you said, moving Pit with the right circle pad is really uncomfortable, and I don't really feel more accurate using the stylus as opposed to my thumb. I'm sure I could learn to use the CCP, and I hate smudging the touch screen so much, but using my thumb's been working out fine.
SmithnCo
Member
(03-27-2012, 03:04 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar
Up to chapter 22

Game is still awesome. I feel sorry for Pit though because it seems like every character verbally shits on him. lol
DCharlie
Always bet on white
(03-27-2012, 03:07 AM)
DCharlie's Avatar

two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)

there are instructions on how to play the game in the black and white section right by the poster pullout

it's basically game-izing the AR battle thing - makes me wonder when we're going to see proper card battler stuff hit
Hale-XF11
Member
(03-27-2012, 03:09 AM)
Hale-XF11's Avatar
Just won 10 online matches in a row, lol. I'm telling you guys, play MP a lot and you will get used to and even master the ground controls.
Oni Link 666
Member
(03-27-2012, 03:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

okay u have to beat the game to get this

Yeah.
ryushe
Member
(03-27-2012, 03:16 AM)
ryushe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skilletor

I've played plenty of 3rd person games where I can do a 180 by pressing a button.

The defenders of these controls are getting into hyperbole now...

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

You can do a 180 in this game by pressing a single button.

It's the R button. Actually it straight up changes the camera to what ever direction you are holding the stick to. I slap it with my pinky from time to time. but you can change it to a face button

Also I got that 4 mins thing on 5.0 intensity just bum rush through it, ignore monsters and such. I didnt even use Tirelessness

This is why I said before that the worst thing about the controls are its default setup. If the game made its default more palatable and ergonomic, a lot of people wouldn't even factor in the controls as being the games blight.

I mean, is anyone who's really enjoying the game even using the default setup?

Thread Tools