• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidyj

I'm torn... on the one hand it kind of sucks that with the internet I'm exposed to the racist bullshit of an entire planet of idiots, but on the other hand these dumb asses are getting exposed and marked for their bullshit.

Although Maggie Mcdonnell's tweets seem to have taken an interesting turn...

GtdXt.png

YLZRs.png

Who is Maggie Mcdonnell?

I liked the Denzel Washington one though.

It is funny how some people can warp skin toes to mean something completely different. Clearly whites encompass every color of the rainbow! Dark brown? Pfft... They must be Italian or Middle Eastern! There is no way dark brown skin would refer to black people! I mean, they are black, not brown. It is in the name!

Some of the people who have posted in this thread (most of whom got banned) fucking sicken me. I have long known there was a defense force for racism on gaf, but it never ceases to shock me when it comes out full force.

wow... to be completely honest I find this quite racist.

IMO there's nothing more racist then to say that only one group of people have to be typecasted into a film, or role, then to say that middle eastern or italian people aren't allow to play "brown" roles is just as racist as saying that all "black" roles have to be played by etheopians. Or all asian roles have to be filled with people from china.

I get that you're upset about people being upset about having a black person being portrayed in a book when they clearly didn't figure that was what the character would look like, but in all honesty, people would've probably been upset if a ginger was cast instead, or someone asian. Stop taking this shit so personally. People will probably be upset when in the walking dead next season too when macchone is revealed.

People are stupid, there's no need to get sickened by it.

And there's especially no need to make claims that "white people can't play brown roles" like you just did.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi

IMO there's nothing more racist then to say that only one group of people have to be typecasted into a film, or role, then to say that middle eastern or italian people aren't allow to play "brown" roles is just as racist as saying that all "black" roles have to be played by etheopians. Or all asian roles have to be filled with people from china.

I get that you're upset about people being upset about having a black person being portrayed in a book when they clearly didn't figure that was what the character would look like, but in all honesty, people would've probably been upset if a ginger was cast instead, or someone asian. Stop taking this shit so personally. People will probably be upset when in the walking dead next season too when macchone is revealed.

And there's especially no need to make claims that "white people can't play brown roles" like you just did.
Oh please, you're full of shit if you think these scumbags would have been equally, or even near as upset if they had cast a white ginger in that role. Get the fuck out of here.

And stop taking it personally? So people are supposed to just ignore this type of behavior? A lot of those comments are straight up outrageous and the people who made them should be called out and ostracized for them. Period.

FStop7

Banned

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/complete.html#personally

Oh please, you're full of shit if you think these scumbags would have been equally, or even near as upset if they had cast a white ginger in that role. Get the fuck out of here.

And stop taking it personally? So people are supposed to just ignore this type of behavior? A lot of those comments are straight up outrageous and the people who made them should be called out and ostracized for them. Period.

yeah they would. It's the internet, people are dicks and assholes on the internet. If something isn't exactly like they thought it'd be they'd complain. People will hate on anything, and I'm guessing if a white person was cast we'd see just as many tweets about the role not being filled by a black guy/girl, and people defending the choice because the author clearly meant their "dark brown" hair colour.

There were gay people complaining that Sean Penn was cast as harvey milk even though he wasn't gay. You give people to much credit.

Whitewashing is a long historic issue within Hollywood. I'd suggest actually reading up on these issues rather than making false equivalencies.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Cinna is the stylist right? I thought he was described as black in the book? Or did I just imagine that? I guess that makes me not racist. Yeah

squidyj

It's a generic, patronizing, bullshit accusation meant to derail the actual discussion.

It's only successful when you're actually responding to it, even with pithy little comebacks like links to some e-source so, congrats.

Do you feel obligated to reply to all these posts?

What's your point in bringing that up?

nothing, my point was in response to thequote. That claiming "brown" shouldn't be played by a white person is just as bad as whitewashing. He made it a "black" issue, not a race issue and i take offense to that.

edit: moreso then it was a "black" race issue then a discriminatory issue. Why can't a dark skinned indian/middle easter/italian/asian person play this role?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_twzulFt36...IU/LNrbGQ8QXdA/s1600/indian-man-texting-m.jpg

his post is just as discriminatory.

Times like these, I fear for my little Blasian daughters. How will I explain these sort of attitudes to them? That they need to be careful who they trust, because these attitudes may lie below the surface? That everything is not ok, like on Sesame Street?

When will they have their heart broken by someone throwing this crap in their face?

People hating on a little girl, that looks a lot like my little girl, and the one on the way. It's sobering.

Don't even get me started on visiting Japan when they are older. The grands love them, but...worse than the US.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Times like these, I fear for my little Blasian daughters. How will I explain these sort of attitudes to them? That they need to be careful who they trust, because these attitudes may lie below the surface? That everything is not ok, like on Sesame Street?

When will they have their heart broken by someone throwing this crap in their face?

People hating on a little girl, that looks a lot like my little girl, and the one on the way. It's sobering.

Don't even get me started on visiting Japan when they are older. The grands love them, but...worse than the US.

are you asian? or black?

nothing, my point was in response to thequote. That claiming "brown" shouldn't be played by a white person is just as bad as whitewashing. He made it a "black" issue, not a race issue and i take offense to that.

Uh maybe you should read some of the posts that got some people banned before you take his post out of context. Also "made it a black issue not a race issue", what? Kind of the context here.

Uh maybe you should read some of the posts that got some people banned before you take his post out of context. Also "made it a black issue not a race issue", what? Kind of the context here.

sorry i made an edit to more clearly define what issue i had.

edit: moreso then it was a "black" race issue then a discriminatory issue. Why can't a dark skinned indian/middle easter/italian/asian person play this role?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_twzulFt36q...-texting-m.jpg

his post is just as discriminatory.

Again, i dont feel that this issue is that the person was cast black (for some it clearly was, the comments saying they didn't care as much about the death for example, these are disgusting things to say), but that given the context of movies in general, there are always complaints when roles are given. There are people who complain when an actor they dislike is cast in a role from a book they love, and i feel that to say all these comments are only because of race is not a fair comment. People complain when a ginger gets cast in a specific role, or asians, or indians, or when openly gay actors get casted in straight roles. To say this is a black issue like he implies is as counter productive as the issue of whitewashing.

Again, i dont feel that this issue is that the person was cast black (for some it clearly was, the comments saying they didn't care as much about the death for example, these are disgusting things to say), but that given the context of movies in general, there are always complaints when roles are given. There are people who complain when an actor they dislike is cast in a role from a book they love, and i feel that to say all these comments are only because of race is not a fair comment. People complain when a ginger gets cast in a specific role, or asians, or indians, or when openly gay actors get casted in straight roles.

Book description:

dark brown skin and eyes

So a girl was cast as such. This girl was black. She fits the description. Your logic about characters being changed doesn't even apply to this one since she fits the bill. But because she wasn't a tan white girl, people were upset. It definitely is a racial issue. Look at those tweets.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I really don't know what black people have done to warrant such vile hatred of their skin color.
I just don't get it at all.

Again, i dont feel that this issue is that the person was cast black (for some it clearly was, the comments saying they didn't care as much about the death for example, these are disgusting things to say), but that given the context of movies in general, there are always complaints when roles are given. There are people who complain when an actor they dislike is cast in a role from a book they love, and i feel that to say all these comments are only because of race is not a fair comment. People complain when a ginger gets cast in a specific role, or when openly gay actors get casted in straght roles.

First the post you were responding to wasn't about the role had to be black, but complaining that people had an issue with it, despite how the author described the characters as dark brown. Don't know where you read in the post that it was being made into a black issue.

Second the issue of this thread is that people were complaining that there were black people cast in the roles. For you to say that isn't the main issue in this case is ridiculous.

Veezy

que?

Again, i dont feel that this issue is that the person was cast black (for some it clearly was, the comments saying they didn't care as much about the death for example, these are disgusting things to say), but that given the context of movies in general, there are always complaints when roles are given. There are people who complain when an actor they dislike is cast in a role from a book they love, and i feel that to say all these comments are only because of race is not a fair comment. People complain when a ginger gets cast in a specific role, or asians, or indians, or when openly gay actors get casted in straight roles. To say this is a black issue like he implies is as counter productive as the issue of whitewashing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I highly doubt there is a significant problem with Black or Asian actors stealing White character roles. Is "blackwashing" even a thing?

If you're going to compare the "black bitch" comment with somebody complaining about a ginger filling a role that a book described belonged to a fair skinned brunette, your world perspective is a bit skewed.

Book description:

So a girl was cast as such. This girl was black. She fits the description. Your logic about characters being changed doesn't even apply to this one since she fits the bill. But because she wasn't a tan white girl, people were upset. It definitely is a racial issue. Look at those tweets.

wow, my comment has nothing to do with the film, it has to do with the person I was commenting. If you see nothing wrong with this:

It is funny how some people can warp skin toes to mean something completely different. Clearly whites encompass every color of the rainbow! Dark brown? Pfft... They must be Italian or Middle Eastern! There is no way dark brown skin would refer to black people! I mean, they are black, not brown. It is in the name!

then i'm not going to bother discussing this with you.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I highly doubt there is a significant problem with Black or Asian actors stealing White character roles. Is "blackwashing" even a thing?

If you're going to compare the "black bitch" comment with somebody complaining about a ginger filling a role that a book described belonged to a fair skinned brunette, your world perspective is a bit skewed.

agian, i was commenting to the person I quoted. not about the comments made in the tweets. I agree with what most have already said. The black bitch comment, the I felt less when x happened comments, etc are all really out of line. But so is saying that only black people are dark skinned which is what I got from his comment.

SHAZOOM

All Idiots.

It's not even about being bold nowadays some people don't care anymore, they probably have black people, schoolmates etc on their twiitter and still talk that mess.

Twitter more than Facebook really allows you to see what festering nastiness is in a person mind.

Explains my general need to avoid Twitter.

How does Japan act towards your relationship and your kids. Im seriously curious.

Her family has been great so far, which has been a surprise. They dote on my daughter both here and when we visit Japan.

Lots of staring from strangers when we visit. No angry confrontations, but I think my in-laws have been mindful to keep me away from situations that might lead to trouble.

Her family has been great so far, which has been a surprise. They dote on my daughter both here and when we visit Japan.

Lots of staring from strangers when we visit. No angry confrontations, but I think my in-laws have been mindful to keep me away from situations that might lead to trouble.

That's awesome. Now I have another question if you don't mind...how did yall meet?

masud

Banned
wow, my comment has nothing to do with the film, it has to do with the person I was commenting. If you see nothing wrong with this:

then i'm not going to bother discussing this with you.

Im sorry whats wrong with that quote? He was commenting on the absurdity of assuming that a character described as having dark brown skin is white. It is absurd, there are no dark brown white people!

Veezy

que?
Im sorry whats wrong with that quote? He was commenting on the absurdity of assuming that a character described as having dark brown skin is white. It is absurd, there are no dark brown white people!

I know your people's game. Always stealing the hard to find White rolls in Hollywood. Blackwashing makes me sick.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hate all of this. It's making me not want to see this movie. Especially since I kinda enjoyed the book. Now I just wanna punch everyone in the face (thru twitter).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Truly, the continual Hollywood practice of blackwashing otherwise innocent white roles is the real crime here.

Veezy

que?
I hate all of this. It's making me not want to see this movie. Especially since I kinda enjoyed the book. Now I just wanna punch everyone in the face (thru twitter).

Not seeing a movie because some people don't like the race of an actor playing a fictional character, that you want to see, is a bad reason to not see it. You should watch the film and enjoy it to support, what I've read to be, a good movie.

There's nothing that says you canot Twitter pummel somebody and see a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom