• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Zefah
Member
(03-29-2012, 09:53 PM)
When does this actually come out on the PC? GMG has it listed for April 30th and Steam doesn't have a specific date.
Tomasooie
Member
(03-30-2012, 04:38 AM)
Tomasooie's Avatar
Steam used to list April 6, but that's been retracted.

Added all the deals to the OP; thanks everyone!
Crazymoogle
Member
(03-30-2012, 02:44 PM)
Crazymoogle's Avatar
Finally beat the game last night. Saved Faye, but not Bo. Probably missed on that by a maybe 2-3% on Cain's meter. Really, really great wrap-up that put the game easily in my top games of the year. Except for one character it was almost MGS1 level VO.

If:
- It had come out in a holiday slot
- It had co-op
- It had a more varied setpiece style of level design (something to combat "Gears clone!")
- It had non-horrible boxart

...I think it would be getting a lot more attention, sales, and maybe even a little award attention. But as it is, it was basically sent to die in that classic Sega style.

And while it has nothing to do with sales, dammit, where's my new game mode+?!?
Hagi
Member
(03-30-2012, 03:51 PM)
Hagi's Avatar
I just finished it also, such a fantastic game. I'll agree it wrapped up really well i also had Faye alive and Bo dead which i never really expected. The characters were pretty cool, only one i didn't like was Charlie but maybe that was intentional.

I really hope we get a sequel but considering SEGA's financial difficulties i doubt it'll ever happen :/ I only rented it but i'm definately going to but it now.

Question what happened to Cain? Is there another ending?
Crazymoogle
Member
(03-30-2012, 03:58 PM)
Crazymoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hagi

Question what happened to Cain? Is there another ending?

They do a terrible job of explaining it - hence why you see other posts here asking to be able to play as any party member for the course of the game. The ending variations are really minor, but if you have max Cain approval, he rushes in to take the hit for Faye instead of Bo. Unclear if Cain dies as a result and they don't explain what he was up to. Literally only replaces that scene, with the hero remarking "so that's what it feels like to lose your job to a scraphead!".
Hagi
Member
(03-30-2012, 04:22 PM)
Hagi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crazymoogle

They do a terrible job of explaining it - hence why you see other posts here asking to be able to play as any party member for the course of the game. The ending variations are really minor, but if you have max Cain approval, he rushes in to take the hit for Faye instead of Bo. Unclear if Cain dies as a result and they don't explain what he was up to. Literally only replaces that scene, with the hero remarking "so that's what it feels like to lose your job to a scraphead!".

huh thats pretty underwhelming but its worth seeing on another play through, i didn't really like that he was just forgotten once they reached the other building.
C-Jo
Member
(03-31-2012, 04:06 AM)
C-Jo's Avatar
As a former Sega fanboy, today's news hit extra hard. I was waiting for price drops, but I just ordered Binary Domain and Dead Souls at full price.
kunonabi
Member
(03-31-2012, 04:50 AM)
kunonabi's Avatar
How is the online play for BD? I can either get the X360 version which runs better and is in my room or I can get the PS3 version which I can play online. If the online is really fun I might opt for the PS3. Bear in mind I hate games where you respawn instantly and dying isn't much of a setback.
Robot Pants
Member
(03-31-2012, 05:19 AM)
Robot Pants's Avatar
Just a quick GMG question, I preordered this a couple of days ago, and I got my email confirmation and everything, but under Activation Code, there isn't anything. They are just gonna email me with it later right?
MTMBStudios
Member
(03-31-2012, 05:28 AM)
MTMBStudios's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robot Pants

Just a quick GMG question, I preordered this a couple of days ago, and I got my email confirmation and everything, but under Activation Code, there isn't anything. They are just gonna email me with it later right?

Yeah, the day it comes out.
Mr_Appleby
Member
(03-31-2012, 06:28 AM)
Mr_Appleby's Avatar
tried the demo and don't think this is for me. i thought a sniper and a demo expert would be a good combo but when they ask you why you chose them the only options are "i'm a sleaze" and, this one made be say what the hell, "oops, my bad." why would you even say that? so i said nothing and the sniper girl decided she didn't like me and wouldn't shoot enemy snipers.

there was some small measure of satisfaction gained in letting them die.
Last edited by Mr_Appleby; 03-31-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Danj
Member
(03-31-2012, 08:41 AM)
Danj's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr_Appleby

tried the demo and don't think this is for me.

Is there a PC demo for this game, or only console? I'm currently on the fence about getting it, was considering taking advantage of the Green Man Gaming preorder sale to get it on PC.
Mr_Appleby
Member
(03-31-2012, 09:29 AM)
Mr_Appleby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danj

Is there a PC demo for this game, or only console? I'm currently on the fence about getting it, was considering taking advantage of the Green Man Gaming preorder sale to get it on PC.

doesn't seem to be one atm.
Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(03-31-2012, 10:23 AM)
Witchfinder General's Avatar
Thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Is the 360 version the one to get or should I go for the PS3 one?
Tomasooie
Member
(03-31-2012, 02:42 PM)
Tomasooie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Witchfinder General

Thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Is the 360 version the one to get or should I go for the PS3 one?

Added to OP: if you can't do the PC version, then 360 is the one to get for framerate/IQ.
Last edited by Tomasooie; 03-31-2012 at 02:53 PM.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(03-31-2012, 07:30 PM)
neojubei's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomasooie

Added to OP: if you can't do the PC version, then 360 is the one to get for framerate/IQ.

but ps3 has an awesome load screen
LiK
Member
(03-31-2012, 08:10 PM)
LiK's Avatar
just beat it, awesome awesome awesome. one of my fave games this year. LOVED IT.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(03-31-2012, 09:11 PM)
neojubei's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

just beat it, awesome awesome awesome. one of my fave games this year. LOVED IT.

I'm so glad to hear that. The game is really under rated by the gaming media
Tomasooie
Member
(03-31-2012, 10:27 PM)
Tomasooie's Avatar

Originally Posted by neojubei

but ps3 has an awesome load screen

I put that in the OP too! PS3 version's also the cheapest for some reason...
Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(04-01-2012, 12:18 AM)
Witchfinder General's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomasooie

Added to OP: if you can't do the PC version, then 360 is the one to get for framerate/IQ.

Cheers.
LiK
Member
(04-01-2012, 08:04 AM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by neojubei

I'm so glad to hear that. The game is really under rated by the gaming media

i blame SEGA. many game reviewers said they never got any review copies. that sucked.
Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(04-01-2012, 10:40 AM)
Witchfinder General's Avatar
JB Hi-Fi had a 20% off sale on video games so I picked this up along with Twisted Metal. Once I finish up with Mass Effect 3 I'll dive into it.
Koralsky
Member
(04-02-2012, 07:29 PM)
Koralsky's Avatar
My copy finally arrive (I preordeder the game), but, well - Zavvi...

I'm starting the game in a couple of minutes - my hype is ready!
brightroar
Member
(04-04-2012, 02:16 AM)
brightroar's Avatar
Just finished it and loved it... shame about the stupid name/cover and no promotion. Will be recommending to all my friends though!
Semblance
shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
(04-04-2012, 02:19 AM)
Semblance's Avatar
Still no word on a solid PC release date, eh? This is so Renegade Ops all over again.
Koralsky
Member
(04-04-2012, 09:25 AM)
Koralsky's Avatar
Finish it on PS3 - such an amazing experience.

I can't understand the review scores - the game is high class on almost every level.

Shame we will never see something similar from SEGA. With Vanquish and now Binary Domain, they have two AAA TPS that are in TOP3 of the genre this gen, along with Gears series.
Katana_Strikes
Member
(04-04-2012, 12:42 PM)
Katana_Strikes's Avatar
I was disappointed in the overall product. Way too repetitive TBH, plus the inclusion of some questionable gameplay sections to try and vary the game. The hit O at the precise time was nasty. Still it has it's moments and it's not a bad game by any means.

As for the multiplayer, well I haven't played something so bad in a long time. Just awful.
Dyno
Member
(04-04-2012, 03:32 PM)
Dyno's Avatar
Finished it last night. Japanese gaming done right! There hasn't been one like this since Vanquish! This game has a lot of strong points : The shooting is good and the robot enemies are great. I like the talking mini-game that takes place within the firefight but we sucked at it because we were talking too much while playing and so most of our team died as a result. It's got just enough of that Japan-style quirk to make me think of the good old days.

Will definitely play it again. It's a shame the NA cover art is so fucking cheap because this game had great art design and some of that should have been on the cover.

Regarding weapon upgrades: Was their really a point? All we did is get the main characters assault rifle up to max in all ways. That took most of the game. Did anybody bother upgrading the other characters? Does it make a difference?
scitek
Member
(04-04-2012, 08:50 PM)
scitek's Avatar
System Requirements

Minimum:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT220 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (512MB)
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

Recommended:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

---

For comparison: Sonic Generations' were

---

Minimum:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2900 (512MB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 11 GB free hard drive space
Sound:

Recommended:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 11 GB free hard drive space
Sound:

---

Thinking the recommendation of a 5750 is likely a typo. Either way, 60fps is a go.
Cheska
Member
(04-05-2012, 01:19 AM)
Cheska's Avatar
Just started and got to Chapter Two, and I'm hit with that sliding section. God damn do I hate segments like that in games -_- I hope there aren't many more throughout the campaign.
richi_one
Member
(04-05-2012, 09:05 AM)
I think this game needed coop much more than its multiplayer section
harriet the spy
Member
(04-06-2012, 05:31 AM)
Goddamn this game is bonkers. Thanks for the recommendation, GAF. Having so much fun with this. More people need to buy this!

Q: any incentive in switching partners around, or should i just stick with two (currently the chinese sniper and the british asshole)?
Jubern
Member
(04-08-2012, 12:36 PM)
Jubern's Avatar
I boot up the game for the first time today and... Is there really no other way to change voices besides changing the console (and thus entire game) language?

I'm so not playing that in French.
Shaneus
Member
(04-08-2012, 02:04 PM)
Shaneus's Avatar
So, PC release is still dated "April". Know what other game had a similar lead-up to launch? Fucking Renegade Ops. Also handled by Sega.

Fuck.
Jubern
Member
(04-08-2012, 04:58 PM)
Jubern's Avatar
I should have guessed from the sound quality I get when calling someone, but it looks my bluetooth headset sucks too much to be usable with this game :/ I need to try really hard in order to get a 80-90 point score and the game misunderstands what I say quite a bit. I just gave up after the part where you're asked to say 突撃, for some reason that one won't register at all.

That's frustrating, it's not the same without the headset. But I'm not buying a new one for this, so :/
Take Back the Night
Member
(04-08-2012, 09:27 PM)
Take Back the Night's Avatar
Just finished this, all round it was a great little suprise, gameplay was really solid (especially after coming off the back of Yakuza Dead Souls) and the story has a real charm to it.

Big Bo and Cain were awesome, so it figures that both of them would bite it by the end. Well thats what I'm guessing because Cain goes MIA after chapter 5.

The voice acting was good, although some accents slipped quite often, especially Rachel's which was apparent whenever she said more than two words. I can't decide whether or not Bo was masterful VA or not, I loved it all the same.

Was expecting Dan to be a Hollow Child, he looked so generic in comparison to the rest of the squad I was sure it was a subtle play on the fact.


It also has a level of presentation that they will hopefully take into future Yakuza installments.

Surprisingly I know a few people who bought this, will definitely try out the multiplayer at some point. The campaign should have had co-op (and I thought it did in fairness), because I would go through on Survivor right away.
Pakkidis
Member
(04-08-2012, 11:59 PM)
So far I'm at chapter 3 and I think its a fantastic game. The jet ski section was by far the down point of the game but thankfully its short

Is their any way to raise trust levels with characters faster. I keep gaining points with Faye however her trust level is still normal..

Love the fact that you can shoot different body parts on enemies and they react differently.
Take Back the Night
Member
(04-09-2012, 12:25 AM)
Take Back the Night's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pakkidis

So far I'm at chapter 3 and I think its a fantastic game. The jet ski section was by far the down point of the game but thankfully its short

Is their any way to raise trust levels with characters faster. I keep gaining points with Faye however her trust level is still normal..

Love the fact that you can shoot different body parts on enemies and they react differently.

There is a nano-machine that boosts your trust gain. If I remember rightly, you get it from the Yakuza in the slums, its counter-intuitive in that you have to go backwards from your objective to find him. Not that any of this matters as you've already passed that section.

And regarding trust, this is more of a general tip but I guess I should spoiler it... After the 3rd Chapter your team pretty much becomes locked at its current formation for quite a while, I can't remember if you are forced to take particular members but I was pissed by the lack of Bo for a while!

And in general just do well in combat, head-shots aplenty! I found that there was more opportunity for it in the later chapters, some of the late additions to my party I ended up maxing out more quickly for this reason.

Oh, and you want to know what my real big peeve about this game was? The bosses soak up way too much damage, its to such a ridiculous degree that I find myself not knowing if I'm actually damaging them after a while. Once you have removed their armour you often get no indication as to what is affecting them. I did play this on Hard though, so maybe that's a problem exclusive to that mode.
Last edited by Take Back the Night; 04-09-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Pakkidis
Member
(04-09-2012, 02:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Watanabe Kazuma

There is a nano-machine that boosts your trust gain. If I remember rightly, you get it from the Yakuza in the slums, its counter-intuitive in that you have to go backwards from your objective to find him. Not that any of this matters as you've already passed that section.

And regarding trust, this is more of a general tip but I guess I should spoiler it... After the 3rd Chapter your team pretty much becomes locked at its current formation for quite a while, I can't remember if you are forced to take particular members but I was pissed by the lack of Bo for a while!

And in general just do well in combat, head-shots aplenty! I found that there was more opportunity for it in the later chapters, some of the late additions to my party I ended up maxing out more quickly for this reason.

Oh, and you want to know what my real big peeve about this game was? The bosses soak up way too much damage, its to such a ridiculous degree that I find myself not knowing if I'm actually damaging them after a while. Once you have removed their armour you often get no indication as to what is affecting them. I did play this on Hard though, so maybe that's a problem exclusive to that mode.

Wait what?!?!? I remember being in the slums and talking to everyone and gaining a small boost. I even used the nano machine their and saw no option. Doesn't matter, its my first playthrough so I'm just soaking it all in and enjoying the experience.

Its funny you mention the bosses, I was just playing and one area their was a large robot firing 2 rockets while I was fighting off smaller robots. I fired so much into that large robot and I didn't even make a dent in him. I was allowed to continue my objective so I assumed it was unkillable.
Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(04-09-2012, 05:56 AM)
Witchfinder General's Avatar
About to start playing this later today. Are there any penalties to playing the game on easy? Or is the normal difficulty setting a breeze?
Koralsky
Member
(04-09-2012, 04:21 PM)
Koralsky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Witchfinder General

About to start playing this later today. Are there any penalties to playing the game on easy? Or is the normal difficulty setting a breeze?

Well i think you should start the game on normal - I finish the game on PS3 and died about 8-9 times (five of witch was on qte events).

The game is just too easy on normal. On easy it will play itself...
Pakkidis
Member
(04-09-2012, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Witchfinder General

About to start playing this later today. Are there any penalties to playing the game on easy? Or is the normal difficulty setting a breeze?

I'm playing it on hard at the moment and it feels just right in terms of difficulty for me.
deim0s
Member
(04-09-2012, 05:47 PM)
deim0s's Avatar
Play it on normal.

Hard is better and more satisfying for me.
Take Back the Night
Member
(04-09-2012, 09:12 PM)
Take Back the Night's Avatar

Originally Posted by deim0s

Play it on normal.

Hard is better and more satisfying for me.

Definitely, it never seemed particularly challenging on Hard (which is the only mode I've played) minus the confusion over whether I was actually damaging the bosses. I assume normal is so much of a pushover that it would quickly get boring.

I did not know Kiryu was playable in multiplayer, wat?!
geebee
Banned
(04-09-2012, 09:37 PM)
geebee's Avatar
Finished my first playthrough on Friday.. best third person shooter I've played since Vanquish. Easily my most enjoyed game of the year so far. I admit I was skeptical of the game when I first heard about it, but now I'm confident Nagoshi and team Yakuza can make an amazing game from any genre..
sechsterangriff
Member
(04-09-2012, 11:11 PM)
sechsterangriff's Avatar
Just finished and I really enjoyed it! It may be a little action movie cheesy, but it's part of its charm.
You people with a decent PC or still sitting on this one better buy it! >:(

SEGA is somewhat on a roll with quality games, and it makes me really sad it's being punished financially for it...
Pakkidis
Member
(04-10-2012, 03:42 AM)
I too just completed the game, played it all weekend. I loved it. The dialogue and voice acting were the only sour points for me but the characters and story clearly made up for it.
Pachterballs
Banned
(04-10-2012, 05:34 AM)
Pachterballs's Avatar
this is on sale at playasia cheap. does the xbox360/ps3 versions have pro cons etc?

let me know. I want to order soon.
Tokubetsu
Member
(04-10-2012, 06:10 AM)
Tokubetsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pachterballs

this is on sale at playasia cheap. does the xbox360/ps3 versions have pro cons etc?

let me know. I want to order soon.

Both are fairly close. PS3 version said to have more slowdown but people I know who played through it didn't have much problems. I played the 360 version and didn't have any problems either.
deim0s
Member
(04-10-2012, 07:12 PM)
deim0s's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pachterballs

this is on sale at playasia cheap. does the xbox360/ps3 versions have pro cons etc?

let me know. I want to order soon.

Played the PS3 version - only experienced a slowdown on one boss battle/cinematic.

Thread Tools