• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

HeySeuss

I bet we hear at E3 Reggie say, "We're not quite ready to talk about our online plans just yet, we'll announce those closer to the launch."

Sadist

So in the Edge 240 thread Oxx revealed what's on the teaser page for next month's issue.

Could there be an early NDA lift and a big blowout in the next month? Perhaps it coincides with the shareholder meeting. This issue would be released a bit over a week later.
We need a look at the teaserpage stat

HylianTom

Banned
I'd like to reiterate that History of the World, Part I and Spaceballs are two of my favourite movies, and you are making a big fan here by using them as source material.

Thanks.. huge Mel Brooks fan! History of the World is probably my favorite of all time, and the "big penis" moment was perfect context for that image. I was singing-along as I went to my image source.. hehe..

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So in the Edge 240 thread Oxx revealed what's on the teaser page for next month's issue.

Could there be an early NDA lift and a big blowout in the next month? Perhaps it coincides with the shareholder meeting. This issue would be released a bit over a week later.

Interesting. I have to believe Nintendo will leak something ahead of E3. My recollection from 2006 is there was a lot less secrecy.

I bet we hear at E3 Reggie say, "We're not quite ready to talk about our online plans just yet, we'll announce those closer to the launch."

I don't think they can anymore. With Sony and Microsoft aiming at next year with machines that are certain to be significantly more powerful and in a better position re: the more core game, Nintendo need to hit it out of the park at E3.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. I have to believe Nintendo will leak something ahead of E3. My recollection from 2006 is there was a lot less secrecy.
There was a ton of secrecy until the Red Steel GI cover. That was the first game they allowed to be demonstrated. Then there was the infamous Wii announcement in late April, followed by the Time magazine story right before E3 that covered (iirc) Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Rayman Raving Rabbids and WarioWare.

HylianTom

Banned

Oh, absolutely. Every once in a while I'll post Wii History news from this day/week in 2006, and the contrast in style for information control has been absolutely remarkable. Iwata and Miyamoto doing more interviews, more stories about upcoming games.. the difference is dramatic.

I hate my Safari auto correcting my posts ideaman becomes idea man as soon as I hit space :lol

when are we going to see something annoying as this on consoles?

-

I had a dream that the game informer cover was Pikmin 3

then I had another dream that Pikmin 3 had pitmans ridding dragonfly around a huge forest like the bird demo

then I had a dream that you controlled a single pikmin and he explored his world like the guy in JOURNEY, so hours of walking and lonely but you find and free fellow pitmans along the way controlled by other players on NiN

stupid Nintendo give us some info because my dreams are setting me up for letdowns

HeySeuss

I don't think they can anymore. With Sony and Microsoft aiming at next year with machines that are certain to be significantly more powerful and in a better position re: the more core game, Nintendo need to hit it out of the park at E3.
I think everybody knows that but Nintendo.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
My big hope for Nintendo's E3 conference is that they talk/walk through the major OS features, online features and store, and they're good. But they really should show them off at E3, not at their later Q3 Nintendo conference as they did with Wii. This is the area where they have the most to prove, and if they want to change perceptions they should show off what they've got when the largest media spotlight is upon them.

My big hope for Nintendo's E3 conference is that they talk/walk through the major OS features, online features and store, and they're good. But they really should show them off at E3, not at their later Q3 Nintendo conference as they did with Wii. This is the area where they have the most to prove, and if they want to change perceptions they should show off what they've got when the largest media spotlight is upon them.

yeah and hopefully 90% of the OS/NiN is at launch not launch Window like 3DS waiting months for an eShop

Oh, absolutely. Every once in a while I'll post Wii History news from this day/week in 2006, and the contrast in style for information control has been absolutely remarkable. Iwata and Miyamoto doing more interviews, more stories about upcoming games.. the difference is dramatic.

In 2006 they needed to get out there selling people on the idea of the system, as they were essentially coming from a position of near-irrelevance. This time they have some of the incumbent advantage and can afford to wait and keep quiet as they know everyone's going to be looking to them anyway, and they're going to get mainstream coverage by virtue of unveiling the followup to the hugely popular Wii.

I think everybody knows that but Nintendo.

On the contrary, I think they're painfully aware of it. It's likely part of why everything is so tightly locked-down - they need to blow the bloody doors off at E3 and dominate the event in the way they did with the Wii in 2006. Keep the powder dry until then...

yeah and hopefully 90% of the OS/NiN is at launch not launch Window like 3DS waiting months for an eShop

I'm fairly confident that Nintendo realizes that, in retrospect, 3DS' launch should have been delayed at least three months. After all, Wii U was probably originally supposed to launch no later than July of this year.

HeySeuss

On the contrary, I think they're painfully aware of it. It's likely part of why everything is so tightly locked-down - they need to blow the bloody doors off at E3 and dominate the event in the way they did with the Wii in 2006. Keep the powder dry until then...
I certainly hope your right, but I don't think they consider the details of their online strategy to be a high priority to get the info out like that. I agree that they want to blow the doors off at e3 but I think they will do it visually and through the controller interaction.

They don't want to repeat the 3ds launch, but I think they believe the lack of games and the price was their only mistake. I don't think they consider not having their online even in place on launch day a mistake at all.

Despite potential technical deficiencies, I know the Nintendo games are going to look amazing. I replayed some SMG2 last winter and I was still blown away by the graphics. It's so colorful, so clean. And Nintendo knows how to make water look really fucking good.

Maybe I am in a minority here, but I actually found the water in Sunshine far superior to the Galaxy titles.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What else could the Edge 241 cover be but Wii U?
What else is there on the horizon that involves Miyamoto and Miis?

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
What are the Wii-U's camera specs?
Do you think in-game video chat will be supported in every game?
Wouldn't you have to hold the controller at eye-level for it to work properly?

I know OIS, 60i, facial recognition/tracking, and exceptional low light performance may be unfeasible (too pricey) for Nintendo, but I'd still like to see them approximated.

Thraktor

Unconfirmed, but the resolution's unlikely to be significantly higher than 854*480, given that that's the Wii U Pad screen's resolution.

Quite unlikely, but you never know (I wouldn't be surprised if you could pause a game, do a bit of video-chatting, and then jump back into the game, though).

Unless you want the other person to get a good view up your nostrils, yep.

I know OIS, 60i, facial recognition/tracking, and exceptional low light performance may be unfeasible (too pricey) for Nintendo, but I'd still like to see them approximated.

Face recognition/tracking shouldn't actually be too much of a problem, as they're more an issue of CPU power than camera resolution.

I hope we get a 1MP camera at least. But I'm afraid Nintendo will simply go for a 0.3 MP camera again, so we can admire all the static, noise and warped colours on our HD TVs. Why should only 3DS and Vita owners have to endure shitty 0.3 MP cameras. Let the WiiU owners join the fun.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Miyamoto's next IP: Mii's big day out.

Includes swimming levels.
...on 3DS!

My crazy hope is that it's about Miyamoto's new IP, but if that's even coming it should be saved for E3. My probably realistic expectation is that they'll relaunch the system at the investor meeting, announce some new features and games and possibly give it a new name, and Edge got the exclusive tie-in article. They got their hands on the Wii before other publications back in 2006, iirc.
Probably, and at the very least in all Nintendo's online multiplayer games. They experimented with the concept with StarFox 64 3D.
I hope we get a 1MP camera at least. But I'm afraid Nintendo will simply go for a 0.3 MP camera again, so we can admire all the static, noise and warped colours on our HD TVs. Why should only 3DS and Vita owners have to endure shitty 0.3 MP cameras. Let the WiiU owners join the fun.
Oh god, 0.3 MP would look brutal on an HDTV. Hopefully Nintendo are smart enough to realize that the feature will hold no appeal if they cheap out that much.

BD1

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is going to add a rear facing camera to the DRC? Seems like it would open up a lot more gaming possibilities.

Back when Cafe rumors started, I thought they'd have a new sensor bar with a camera built in to enable some "Kinect-lite" functionality.

jacksrb

Do you guys think that we will see a Wii U game revealed in a magazine prior to E3, like Red Steel back in the day?

Seems that Ubisoft would be the most likely candidate, with Killer Freaks I guess.

Also, since Ubisoft is loving the Wii U, will we see Far Cry 3 on it this year?

HylianTom

Banned
...on 3DS!

My crazy hope is that it's about Miyamoto's new IP, but if that's even coming it should be saved for E3. My probably realistic expectation is that they'll relaunch the system at the investor meeting, announce some new features and games and possibly give it a new name, and Edge got the exclusive tie-in article. They got their hands on the Wii before other publications back in 2006, iirc..

EdgeWiiCover.jpg

(Not the cover from that issue, but still a good one.)

Here's the early one:
EdgeMag.jpg

Do you guys think that we will see a Wii U game revealed in a magazine prior to E3, like Red Steel back in the day?

Seems that Ubisoft would be the most likely candidate, with Killer Freaks I guess.

Also, since Ubisoft is loving the Wii U, will we see Far Cry 3 on it this year?

I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft don't have rushed ports of AC3 and FC3 lined up for the launch, or at least the launch window.

BD1

Banned
Definitely a Miiyamoto. Just to temper expectations, it could be that Edge just have a Miyamoto interview planned, which wouldn't necessarily reveal any new Wii U info.

Even if it's just an interview, he might say those magical words: "Please look forward to seeing my new game for Wii U at E3"

Anth0ny

investor meeting hype rising...

I'm finally done exams, so I now have a bunch of free time. Anyone interested in a E3 2004 Nintendo press conference stream? What's a good time/day for everyone?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely a Miiyamoto. Just to temper expectations, it could be that Edge just have a Miyamoto interview planned, which wouldn't necessarily reveal any new Wii U info.
Edge teases are normally for the big cover story. A run of the mill Miyamoto interview would not be the main story for the issue. Besides, isn't he a bit busy to be doing a simple interview for the sake of an interview right now?

The issue should be arriving for subscribers in the first week of May. The timing is too alligned with the investor meeting for me to think it's not related to what they'll be showing there.
EdgeWiiCover.jpg

(Not the cover from that issue, but still a good one.)

Here's the early one:
EdgeMag.jpg
Edge covers used to be so great.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
i know i'm late to the figurative party (more like emo fest) but i want to say that i appreciated Ideaman's info. simply because he didn't pussyfoot around with it and he DID still stress that this wasn't official (for lack of better words). but it wasn't straight simplistic BS like those 2 anon developers. it's amazing how negative everyone is (especially the media) toward Nintendo and their success.

it's funny how u have a company that still believes in having fun in games that doesn't involve shooting people up or hacking people into a bloody pulp. but because they don't do that and for other exaggerated, sometimes made up reasons, they get crapped on. even when we know almost NOTHING about the console accept for small details. i didn't go through all of the post because it would've just pissed me off, but Ideaman, thank you. if u don't come back around, i don't blame u. i hope to see you around E3 when everyone is jumping on the Wii U bandwagon ; )

thanks lol, i'm still here, and your message is comforting and avoid me to drink a bottle of wine to drown my sorrow of being doubted by beloved gafers (another french stereotype i guess ?).

But we should thanks every contributors in these threads really, everyone bring something interesting to the table. My over-the-top way to present my information, my teases, my avatar, draw more of the attention and the thanks to me, but a lot of people around here are posting very informative data, opinions, hindsights, and deserve at least the same :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
*sob*

yeah, Ideaman basically confirmed to me a couple pages back that the amount of OS reserved RAM was at least 512 MB.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36657871&postcount=15078

I've always added "background thingies/apps" after OS though. There's a huge amount of memory from which developers can't tap on for their games, and it's not for debugging purposes. And from what my sources told me, it's the OS + applications and other features running in background. Some have summed that up by the word "OS", but it's not only the future Wii U visual operating system that is involved, it's features, etc. And the amount could surely evolve.

Basically, Nintendo told developers: you have X amount of RAM on the system
From this X
You can use Y amount for what you are developing
And there's a X - Y = Z amount, an imprint, a space, reserved for other things, that you can't access for your games.

- This Z can change
- This may be a way to simplify development, to not allow for the moment studios to draw from a part of the Z amount not used for all the OS/Background layer that they are still building and optimizing. Like "we don't know how much room our software background features will take, so let's decide that we reserve Z of the total memory for that, you don't care about it, and you just use Y, ok ?"
- With optimizations, with a freedom given to developers to activate or not some features running at the same time as their games, the final Z amount could vary, and there could be a transfer of memory between Z and Y, depending on what functions you want or not. But for the moment, this transfer is not possible.
- This could be a hint toward resources-heavy features.

Top Bottom