• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(04-07-2012, 05:11 PM)
The backlash is hilarious. There's no better side dish to a nice lunch than reading manchild temper tantrums based on hazy information.

Meme images are funny too.
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:12 PM)
OMG HHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Originally Posted by Homeboyd

Spartan Ops does sound absolutely amazing. I don't understand the continuous content though.. even if it's DLC or available on disk... is it from new geometry not seen in the game? Or just sectioned off pieces from the campaign (and maybe MP) with pre-built objective style missions that pop up each week. Sounds very promising though.

iirc, the article actually specified NEW spaces in spartan ops (please tell me that name and "spartan points" is placeholder)
Hydranockz

Originally Posted by TheOddOne

OMG HHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

I fuckin' wish mang!

:lol :lol
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

lolwut

"You're a pretty blue lady"

"...Thanks"
Karl2177

Originally Posted by Retro

Is HaloGAF's faith so easily shaken?

Did you play the same Reach the rest of us did? That soured the Halo MP experience enough to put 343i under a microscope for what they should do with Halo 4. I think there's enough reason with the information that is currently given to be extremely cynical of what they do.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-07-2012, 05:13 PM)

While I agree to some extent, 343 had to have known that people would react the way they did. Even Ellis alluded to it, so they know people would talk.

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously. And yeah, people are going to react badly to some information, but that doesn't mean they need to jump on the internet and tell the world about it while the iron is still hot.

I dunno, they're probably used to the fanbase flipping out by now, but it still seems like people are way too eager to assume the worst. It's just a game, after all.

Originally Posted by Karl2177

Did you play the same Reach the rest of us did? That soured the Halo MP experience enough to put 343i under a microscope for what they should do with Halo 4. I think there's enough reason with the information that is currently given to be extremely cynical of what they do.

You realize of course that drawing conclusions from scans of a printed magazine with weeks-old information is putting 343i under the microscope and then trying to tell what's going on from 6 feet away, right?
Last edited by Retro; 04-07-2012 at 05:18 PM.
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:14 PM)
Bahhahah HaloGAF getting it.

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously. And yeah, people are going to react badly to some information, but that doesn't mean they need to jump on the internet and tell the world about it while the iron is still hot.

I dunno, they're probably used to the fanbase flipping out by now, but it still seems like people are way too eager to assume the worst. It's just a game, after all.

I agree, but best to let people go knee-jerk react now. Later on (hopefully) they calm down.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
The only things that worry me so far are:

'Forerunner vision' - seriously wat

Drop-in added to matchmaking. I hope and assume I can opt-out or avoid playlists that feature it.

Random moving weapons. Though, I want context on this. Is it for specific game types?

Other than that, I don't really follow the uproar. I'm certainly not mourning the loss of my beloved Firefight, as it sounds like it's been replaced, not removed; from an earlier summary:
  • Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.
I have a lot of questions about this. Such as, if players unlock Spartan Ops, how will matchmaking work with them? Talk about a fractured pool. How customizable are they? My hope is we have at least Reach's Firefight level of control. They sound more hand-crafted than Firefight game types.

What I love about Firefight is the strong weapon feedback system, surviving a challenge, and playing alongside friends. It sounds like those things are embodied in Spartan Ops, while also adding the variety we've all been lamenting is missing from Reach's Firefight. As such it's officially my most anticipated element of the game, and I really want more details.
Last edited by GhaleonEB; 04-07-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Havok

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously.

Full scans are out there. There were no drastic clarifications. People are drawing conclusions from the information they put out there, and that is okay. Are people overreacting? Yeah, maybe. But that's to be expected when a list like that is dumped out with no context.
Last edited by Havok; 04-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Homeboyd

Originally Posted by op_ivy

iirc, the article actually specified NEW spaces in spartan ops (please tell me that name and "spartan points" is placeholder)

That's just CRAZY. I don't see how they could keep up!?

Ghal, what if FF type of games are available in customs? You know, we can set up "bots" on MP maps currently available to us and run through game settings like we can now in customs and FF customs settings.

Spartan Ops sounds great and all, but doesn't sound a lot like a survival type of FF. Especially the objective parts...
Last edited by Homeboyd; 04-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.
TS x Massacre
(04-07-2012, 05:16 PM)
As much as I've been raging, I love Halo. And I think Spartan Ops and the campaign will be amazing, I'm just really highly concerned for the multiplayer that i've logged close to or over 20k games of.. it's nerve-wracking to see your favorite series go through such extreme changes with such little detail.
TheOddOne
I hope 343 tells us who is in charge of Spartan Ops, in which I mean what designer is working on it.
Demoncarnotaur
Ok, Im trying to catch up with this thread since I went to sleep before all the info hit. Just read everything, and I have to say that I am pleased. Well, mostly. Also, I wont lie, for a long article it was lacking in details and content.. I wish they would have elaborated on things more, it was awfully vague compared to past cover stories. I hope they post more detailed weapon and sandbox descriptions online.

Also, I would not be surprised if in a few months another magazine gets a true blowout of Halo 4 info including weapons, vehicles etc. This article read like it should have been released last year, but I appreciate they aren't giving away everything.
The Real Napsta
(04-07-2012, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Dax01

Story bits, from what has been shown, look good, but my main concern, given the discussion over in the GI thread, is a romance forming between MC and Cortana. Eck.

That's your main concern?
op_ivy

That's just CRAZY. I don't see how they could keep up!?

its not DLC and its included on the disc, unlocked weekly and with a CG cutscene opening it up. they say there is enough content for months. MONTHS. crazy. sounds like halo 4 will have at the very least a shit ton of content.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian

I hope 343 tells us who is in charge of Spartan Ops, in which I mean what designer is working on it.

Jesse Snyder - Lead Designer on Halo 4 (former designer at Treyarch, purported creator of the Nazi Zombies gametype)

Probably.
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Lyphen

Jesse Snyder - Lead Designer on Halo 4 (former designer at Treyarch, purported creator of the Nazi Zombies gametype)

Probably.

I thought he was the main campaign designer?
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth

Originally Posted by The Real Napsta

That's your main concern?

And by concern he means, topic of interest. *bobs eyebrows*
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.
Poker Face
(04-07-2012, 05:20 PM)
on a lighter note, hows repopulate halo 3 going? are people actually doing it?
Homeboyd

its not DLC and its included on the disc, unlocked weekly and with a CG cutscene opening it up. they say there is enough content for months. MONTHS. crazy. sounds like halo 4 will have at the very least a shit ton of content.

I thought the article said they weren't sure whether it was on-disc or available through DLC? Did I read that wrong?
op_ivy

chris haluke, according to the GI article

I thought the article said they weren't sure whether it was on-disc or available through DLC? Did I read that wrong?

specifically says not dlc, part of the experience you get when you purchase halo 4. though i suppose it could be extended latter through dlc...
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:21 PM)

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.

Ok. STILL!

chris haluke, according to the GI article

Ohh shit, the Killzone guy? AWESOME. I must have missed that nugget.
Franklinator

Thanks. And the sooner you guys can release a Team Slayer match, the better.

edit: On an unrelated note, I just got my copy of Xenoblade in the mail! AWW YEAH
MrBig

Originally Posted by lybertyboy

And yes, Spartan Ops is as awesome as it sounds. Can't wait to share more.

Is this going to be content that is continually produced on a weekly basis (with some sort of a procedural system to ensure that content will always be possible while doing occasional full-blown creations) or is it all pre-planned and ready before release?
Last edited by MrBig; 04-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
ElzarTheBam
(04-07-2012, 05:23 PM)

This is all well and good, but I think I speak for everyone when I say, how's the water graphics coming along?
Homeboyd
(04-07-2012, 05:23 PM)
GI's exclusive so exclusive 343 can't touch it!

Kidding.. I get it.

Hurry up and end, exclusive. Do any GI guys/gals post at Gaf?
op_ivy
(04-07-2012, 05:24 PM)

Ok. STILL!

Ohh shit, the Killzone guy? AWESOME. I must have missed that nugget.

is that who it is? also, why should i care (never played kz)?
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(04-07-2012, 05:24 PM)

Originally Posted by ElzarTheBam

This is all well and good, but I think I speak for everyone when I say, how's the water graphics coming along?

Nah, audio sliders now that Marty's out of the picture. That's the most important potential change.
Slightly Live
Dirty tag dodger
(04-07-2012, 05:25 PM)
squidhands
My preferred nomenclature
is Hobo-American
(04-07-2012, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

The only things that worry me so far are:

'Forerunner vision' - seriously wat

Drop-in added to matchmaking. I hope and assume I can opt-out or avoid playlists that feature it.

Random moving weapons. Though, I want context on this. Is it for specific game types?

Other than that, I don't really follow the uproar. I'm certainly not mourning the loss of my beloved Firefight, as it sounds like it's been replaced, not removed; from an earlier summary:

• Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.
I have a lot of questions about this. Such as, if players unlock Spartan Ops, how will matchmaking work with them? Talk about a fractured pool. How customizable are they? My hope is we have at least Reach's Firefight level of control. They sound more hand-crafted than Firefight game types.

What I love about Firefight is the strong weapon feedback system, surviving a challenge, and playing alongside friends. It sounds like those things are embodied in Spartan Ops, while also adding the variety we've all been lamenting is missing from Reach's Firefight. As such it's officially my most anticipated element of the game, and I really want more details.

Same here. Extremely interested to hear more on this especially. I'm sure the podcast will be too weighed down with regular multiplayer conversation to appease the overly-dramatic responses to it's changes so far, but shedding some more light on it will be nice.

"...says lead Spartan Ops designer Chris Haluke." (edit: too slow)
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(04-07-2012, 05:26 PM)

So any demo in the schedule?

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

I'll admit I am somewhat hyped for this mode. I'm really wondering how far they'll take it.
Deputy Moonman
(04-07-2012, 05:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Karl2177

This is exactly why the reactions thus far are perfectly legitimate in my opinion. The changes are so radically different than what most expected, and that's after 343 got to listen in on all the frustrations of Reach since release. A fix to the Reach system was needed, but who knew Halo would turn so sharply toward CoD? The halo community just got blindsided. The game may turn out fine, but it's so hard to imagine without seeing actual footage.

EDIT: Just saw OWV's post. Look forward to hearing more.
Last edited by Deputy Moonman; 04-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
TS x Massacre
(04-07-2012, 05:27 PM)

Thank you Frank.

This is really what a lot of us needed to hear from someone we trust deeply with this franchise. I appreciate you not being defensive about this as I know if I was in your position it would be very hard not to lash out and call us all idiots for jumping to such large conclusions. I'm definitely guilty of doing this, and I look forward to the podcast, and the summer of information which will hopefully bring a lot of people (myself included) back to the hyped up excited level I was on Thursday.
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:27 PM)

is that who it is? also, why should i care (never played kz)?

He was a designer on Killzone 2 and lead designer on Killzone 3. He has a great resume I feel.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-07-2012, 05:29 PM)
I still think explaining the Red and Blue seem kinda silly. It's like explaining Pong or something.

"The two bars are rival nation defenders trying desperately to prevent the Infinity Bomb from destroying their land"
Natiko
(04-07-2012, 05:30 PM)

I don't think that many people are worried that it won't feel like Halo, I think it's more that a lot of the stuff we heard about sounds like it will do nothing but bastardize our enjoyment in spite of the core mechanics. Hopefully we're all worried about nothing and the game is rainbows and sunshine. Also hoping that whatever exclusivity is holding you back from clarifying things further doesn't last this entire month, though I'm guessing that's exactly the case.
squidhands
My preferred nomenclature
is Hobo-American
(04-07-2012, 05:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Plywood

So any demo in the schedule?

I'll admit I am somewhat hyped for this mode. I'm really wondering how far they'll take it.

I sure hope it's pretty far. Despite Firefight's utter lack of updates, being able to play it online at any given (extremely drunk) time is a huge incentive for me. I sincerely hope it is received well enough by the community that it gets lots of post-launch love.
Deputy Moonman
(04-07-2012, 05:32 PM)
Well I need to get some sleep. I've stayed up this whole time lol. long live halo
senador
(04-07-2012, 05:32 PM)
Wow catching up on this thread was a real treat. People dying for scans like its Christmas, bannings, conclusion jumping. Good stuff. I understand why people are upset, I myself am disappointed until clarification comes, it's just hilarious to see some of it. Everything we have is out of context and the words of GI not so much 343, and we all know how great game journalists are. ;)

OWV's statement is what I expected and I'll be excited to learn more. I don't really feel damage control needs to be done though as the game is still a ways out, we don't know much, and things are still changing. What if some of it is as simple to explain as instant respawn is in social playlists only, or only up to level 15, or it's just in right now for testing in development?

Halo is dead. Lolz
Last edited by senador; 04-07-2012 at 05:34 PM.
CyReN
(04-07-2012, 05:33 PM)
Thanks for posting Frankie.

Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-07-2012, 05:33 PM)

Originally Posted by mastrbiggy

Well Forerunner vision basically is a UAV in COD. It lets you see players without actually having to see them.

Not really. As will become clear. I imagine a competitive player with good situational awareness would try it once and eschew it for something else.
Overdoziz
Banned
(04-07-2012, 05:35 PM)

Not really. As will become clear. I imagine a competitive player with good situational awareness would try it once and eschew it for something else.

What reticule shapes do we unlock at Inheritor?
HigherLevel
(04-07-2012, 05:35 PM)

He was a designer on Killzone 2 and lead designer on Killzone 3. He has a great resume I feel.

That is debatable. lol
TheOddOne
(04-07-2012, 05:36 PM)

Originally Posted by HigherLevel

That is debatable. lol

Well yeah, something something opinion something.
MrBig
(04-07-2012, 05:36 PM)

Halo 4 features a wall hack in matchmaking confirmed
CyReN
(04-07-2012, 05:37 PM)

If you can state, can we have classic halo for competitive use like weapon spawns and spawn times etc to use in customs/playlists? Would calm a lot of people going off on MLG right now and lower pitchforks<3
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(04-07-2012, 05:38 PM)

So BK vision?

Overdoziz
Banned
(04-07-2012, 05:38 PM)

Originally Posted by CyReN

If you can state, can we have classic halo for competitive use like weapon spawns and spawn times etc to use in customs/playlists? Would calm a lot of people going off on MLG right now and lower pitchforks<3

Customs server list please.