• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Demoncarnotaur
(04-07-2012, 10:36 PM)
So I'm curious, what are the points that are most discomforting to people?

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

If I had one that had me more worried that the rest, it would be the power weapons. That said, as long as map based weapons are still existent, and the weapons that spawn "randomly" aren't entirely random but rather where they spawn varies then I'm happy.

I can handle custom starting weapons, in fact I wanted it. Sort of. As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns then I am happy. If I were to take a guess, we will choose between weapons like the AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc. If they will be customizable I am not sure, it may be possible to do certain cosmetic upgrades.. maybe custom scopes, but I don't think it will go beyond that. Basically, it seems it will be Halos take on a system like Gears of War 3 mixed with Black Ops. In other words, I'm not too worried, I think it will be fine. If more details hit that aren't so positive, such as starting with snipers whenever you want, I will join the freak out list. For now, consider me intrigued and excited.

Also, I fully expect Barebones/Classic options to be built into the MP.

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

Yeah, imagine if there's a Spartan Ops game type called Siege. That's Firefight, right there.

Yup, I fully expect a mode like this, maybe more basic than Reach's FF, but still a spiritual FF successor.
Last edited by Demoncarnotaur; 04-07-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Slightly Live
Dirty tag dodger
(04-07-2012, 10:37 PM)
Computron
(04-07-2012, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by thee henery

Sprinting jet packers guys. Sprinting jetpackers.

Sprinting Active Camo-ers.
Overdoziz
(04-07-2012, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

New players dont have to have intimate map knowledge to be able to get power weapons

Yeah, screw those people who actually know where and when power weapons spawn.
CyReN
(04-07-2012, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Slightly Live

To be fair MLG was on Sage nuts SO HARD when they released DMR footage and thought skill gap was widened with bloom during Halo Reach, all changed September 14th, 2010.
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-07-2012, 10:39 PM)
Nice triple post there biggy.

Originally Posted by kylej

I'm most looking forward to their explanation on how this isn't aping COD or Battlefield at all. Bring the podcast on.

Same... Would be nice if they were honest and said that MS execs meddled.
Last edited by Redford; 04-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Captain Blood
(04-07-2012, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Tha Robbertster

You see, for me, the problem is that I can't see a way (yet) where I will enjoy these ''random'' weapon spawns. Of course, if 343 can make it awesome, I'll be all in for it but I just can't imagine I will.

Winning 49-46. Enemy team gets a random rocket weapon drop. I eject my Halo 4 disk never to be touched again. As many have said we don't know the nuts and bolts of how the system works but it just seems rank with horrible possibilities.
Last edited by Captain Blood; 04-07-2012 at 10:46 PM.
kylej
Banned
(04-07-2012, 10:40 PM)
Next OT should be

Call of Duty: Space |OT3| The Series Formerly Known As Halo
Domino Theory
343i Test
(04-07-2012, 10:41 PM)

Ha, that reminds me that bloom hasn't officially been ruled out except for the BR.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(04-07-2012, 10:42 PM)

Bravo.

Originally Posted by CyReN

To be fair MLG was on Sage nuts SO HARD when they released DMR footage and thought skill gap was widened with bloom during Halo Reach, all changed September 14th, 2010.

Yeah. On paper, it was one thing...

Originally Posted by Domino Theory

Ha, that reminds me that bloom hasn't officially been ruled out except for the BR.

Nope, 343 has said bloom as implemented in Reach, is not in Halo 4 at all.
neoism

Sprint

So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

GAME OF FOREVER
Gui_PT

Originally Posted by Captain Blood

Winning 49-46. Enemy team gets a random rocket weapon drop. I eject my Halo 4 disk never to be touched again.

You got Trounce'd
Domino Theory
343i Test
(04-07-2012, 10:43 PM)

Really? Whew, good to know. There's some relief.
mastrbiggy
(04-07-2012, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Cabbie

Nice triple post there biggy.

Same... Would be nice if they were honest and said that MS execs meddled.

That is kind of unfair to say it is publisher pressure and not creative direction.
Kuroyume
Banned
(04-07-2012, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Demoncarnotaur

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

If I had one that had me more worried that the rest, it would be the power weapons. That said, as long as map based weapons are still existent, and the weapons that spawn "randomly" aren't entirely random but rather where they spawn varies then I'm happy.

I can handle custom starting weapons, in fact I wanted it. Sort of. As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns then I am happy. If I were to take a guess, we will choose between weapons like the AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc. If they will be customizable I am not sure, it may be possible to do certain cosmetic upgrades.. maybe custom scopes, but I don't think it will go beyond that. Basically, it seems it will be Halos take on a system like Gears of War 3 mixed with Black Ops. In other words, I'm not too worried, I think it will be fine. If more details hit that aren't so positive, such as starting with snipers whenever you want, I will join the freak out list. For now, consider me intrigued and excited.

Yup, I fully expect a mode like this, maybe more basic than Reach's FF, but still a spiritual FF successor.

If random weapon spawns/timers and armor abilities in the loadouts (not weapons) didn't exist I'd be happy with every bit of news on this game.

Instant respawn doesn't bother me as much as the other stuff assuming that shield recharge is quick. Joining games in progress is long overdue as are choosing weapon loadouts.
Redford
aka Cabbie
(04-07-2012, 10:45 PM)

Originally Posted by mastrbiggy

That is kind of unfair to say it is publisher pressure and not creative direction.

If it was actually creative, I would agree.
feel

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

Return of Armor Abilities/Sprint by far.
OverHeat
I might be in the minority but I have faith in 343i to make it work.
Steelyuhas
(04-07-2012, 10:46 PM)

Multiple "valid" reasons exists for randomized power weapon spawning.

Initial Spawning rush for power weapons is gone.
New players dont have to have intimate map knowledge to be able to get power weapons
Its creates focal points for action mid game
Its reduces camping

However i see negatives

Reduced Skill gap (has positive effects aswell)
More likely to get betrayed for weapons
Depending on spawn times it could cause a reduced amount of power weapons during gameplay.

Initial Rush - I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Creates an initial conflict in the game.
New players lack of knowledge - This is obviously the main reason they are doing this. Could easily put a HUD notification for power weapons spawning so new players know when and where the weapons will spawn.
Focal Points - That's what static power weapon spawns do. They are placed accordingly on maps for this exact purpose.
Reduces Camping - Only if power weapons are poorly places.

Reduced Skill gap - This is obviously a huge detriment to having random locations. How could reduced skill gap every be a good thing though?

Random power weapon spawns for sure. Nothing is more of a slap to the face of the individual skill gap than that. Also, not digging instant spawns, could be awful on some smaller maps, we'll have to see on that one though.

I would rather the game didn't have AA's (at least ones you spawn with), but I like the ability to pick your starting weapon. That is a huge addition for matchmaking I think. Gets rid of the AR vs BR fiasco, and allowed for stuff like the BR and DMR to exist so that people can choose if they want burst fire or single shot.
Last edited by Steelyuhas; 04-07-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Overdoziz
(04-07-2012, 10:46 PM)

Originally Posted by neoism

GAME OF FOREVER

Invisible people sprinting towards you to go for the double melee.
kylej
Banned
(04-07-2012, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Invisible people sprinting towards you to go for the double melee.

Yeah but you'll be able to see through walls and should have a sweet new perk that let's you put up a spy plane to show where invisible people are, then you just grab the randomly spawning rockets and wape him.
Thermite
(04-07-2012, 10:48 PM)

Bravo.

Yeah. On paper, it was one thing...

Keyword: vanilla Reach, not Reach as whole. I'm just waiting for dat 85% bloom reveal.
The Henery
(04-07-2012, 10:49 PM)
HALO 3 IS TERRIBLE
Overdoziz
(04-07-2012, 10:50 PM)

Yeah but you'll be able to see through walls and should have a sweet new perk that let's you put up a spy plane to show where invisible people are, then you just grab the randomly spawning rockets and wape him.

Halo 4: The Definitiver Halo
Homeboyd
(04-07-2012, 10:50 PM)

<3
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-07-2012, 10:56 PM)

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

Now that I think about it, it's the return of AAs. I hate jetpack. I hate camo (as an AA). Not only is it breaking the traditional rule of everyone starting off on the same footing, but 343 will have to take these into consideration when designing maps. They have to look out how these AAs will affect each map and will have to figure out of if any of them simply don't belong. But even the best diligence will give way to some mistakes. There will be AAs that appear on maps that simply should not belong, and given 343's management of Reach's playlists, they are neither willing, nor have the ability, to adjust AAs on a per-map basis (I'm looking at you, jetpack on Reflection) to the best extent.

I think AAs add more problems than they solve. Were it not for AAs, I'd probably be feeling better about most of these changes. Except sprint. That needs serious re-working, or else it needs to go.

Originally Posted by thee henery

HALO 3 IS TERRIBLE

Are you playing Team Slayer? That playlist is godly. <3
Last edited by Dax01; 04-07-2012 at 10:59 PM.
CyReN
(04-07-2012, 10:58 PM)

Wildcard power weapons?
Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

Those for me, everything else has sounded good, those taint it terribly for me. I'll give it a shot though.
Fracas
(04-07-2012, 10:58 PM)
Halo 3 is best Halo.
feel
(04-07-2012, 10:59 PM)

This man is already adjusting to dat Halo evolution.
kylej
Banned
(04-07-2012, 11:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Letters

This man is already adjusting to dat Halo evolution.

? Of course, I've been ready for this new Halo for years and I didn't even know it. Got a lot of practice in with this:

StalkerUKCG
(04-07-2012, 11:00 PM)

Originally Posted by monsterfracas

Halo 3 is best Halo.

You put a 3 instead of a 2
neoism
(04-07-2012, 11:01 PM)
LOLOL THE DMR is ugly... :O
Fracas
(04-07-2012, 11:02 PM)

You put a 3 instead of a 2

3>2>1>Reach

No idea where Halo 4 lies.
Dax01
Prefers her Trek sans Abrams
(04-07-2012, 11:03 PM)
Oh please let there be no fall damage. I hope it wasn't removed to balance jetpack.
kylej
Banned
Naded's been playing Arena on his stream to try and get the jackpot. His daily average so far is 1695. Dear lord have mercy.
Steelyuhas

Originally Posted by neoism

LOLOL THE DMR is ugly... :O

The 4 one right?
Overdoziz

3>2>1>Reach

CoD4 > Halo 4 > MW2 > BlOps > WaW
StalkerUKCG

3>2>1>Reach

MP
4>>>>2>>>3>>>1

SP
4>>>ODST>>>CE:A>>>>2>>>3

Believe

How witty, i wish Trails Evolution would come out so you would shut up already

i love you really
Fracas
(04-07-2012, 11:04 PM)

Hahahaha
Karl2177
(04-07-2012, 11:04 PM)

*applause*
kylej
Banned
(04-07-2012, 11:06 PM)

bobs...onGaf

Black Ops should be a LOT higher on that list, otherwise agree, bravo. :P
TheOddOne

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

You think they would replace the Halo announcer guy? It's a reboot after all and they switched up from Marty to a new sound, and we're suppose to buy this is all training, perhaps with can go with some sexy female voice like they do in the movies.

"Game Over" = "Simulation Over", and all that jazz. If "Infinity" is such a huge part of the game, they should go all out with the presentation that this is all a gigantic training academy of sorts.

Tell me more.
senador
(04-07-2012, 11:07 PM)
Wooot magazine get!

Screens look so good.
Blueblur1
(04-07-2012, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by senador

Wooot magazine get!

Screens look so good.

Are you subscriber?
Zeouterlimits
(04-07-2012, 11:08 PM)

I think if Reach hadn't happened this would be more funny.
senador
(04-07-2012, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Blueblur1

Are you subscriber?

Yeah. Just came this afternoon.

Hmm the Elites look pretty weird.
Captain Blood
(04-07-2012, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Blueblur1

Are you subscriber?

hahah well at least this mess has been entertaining.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(04-07-2012, 11:10 PM)
I REALLY like the idea of giving the player the sense that they are inside that Spartan armor, with little effects like subtle helmet effects. That is something I've long wanted out of Halo. That and more audio/visual effects that communicate the armor's bulk and strength.

I'd still love to see a shower of sparks as weapons tear into unshielded armor, and some way of communicating a difference to the player between shots deflected by your shields and ones soaked or deflected by your armor.
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-07-2012, 11:11 PM)

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes.