• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Accept what? That things are going to change? Well, howdy-doody, I reckon you're right! Change is good, I am willing to embrace change and have on more than on occasion (Halo 3's equipment, plasma stun charge, vehicle hijacking, etc), but when it comes to something that might make Halo not Halo anymore, that's when I begin to worry. Unbelievable that I can't be skeptical of change.

You can be skeptical all you want. But reactions im hearing in here isn't skepticism but more the unwillingness to accept any idea that comes from COD.

If it's true that there'll be 5 Spartan Ops missions added per week for several months, surely there's bound to be a few Firefight-esque 'kill the waves of enemies' missions in there.
That's a decent hope although I guess I come at this from two angles:

1. If I want to play a cooperative objective mode I usually just boot up the campaign. Sometimes for pure kicks, sometimes for challenges and commendations, and always with an interesting mix of skulls. Does a game with a solid campaign that is co-op through and through need a separate Spec Ops like mode?

2. I was hoping for Firefight to develop into something more than just defending against waves of enemies. Something that mixed up the formula. Now maybe Spartan Ops is exactly that, but in that case I'd like to see it positioned as an evolution of Firefight rather than as a replacement. The episodic nature of delivering these missions sounds like a gimmick at this point. But I'm all eyes and ears for more.

Portugeezer

Ok, deep down I admit, a lot of this doesn't sound Halo like and the x-ray vision shit has me worried... but a lot of this sounds like it would be fucking awesome fun.

Enjoy your classic playlist moaners.

You can be skeptical all you want. But reactions im hearing in here isn't skepticism but more the unwillingness to accept any idea that comes from COD.
Because CoD is a fundamentally different game from Halo. They're both FPS, but that's where most of the similarities end. Thus, any idea imported from CoD runs the risk of changing the game for the worse – in this case, making it more CoD than Halo. Not starting everyone on equal footing, the idea of AAs, etc.

Veronica

Banned
I will seriously not even play this if there's no Firefight mode. This became my favorite mode to play with friends and it gave me more joy than anything else, including campaign.

Terrible decision.

sp3000

Why should anyone be willing when COD is a crappy game that caters to weed smoking dudebros

They could instead adapt ideas from Battlefield, or Tribes, or Crysis which would work so much better in the Halo gameplay. But no, COD is all that exists in the minds of 343.

wwm0nkey

I will seriously not even play this if there's no Firefight mode. This became my favorite mode to play with friends and it gave me more joy than anything else, including campaign.

Terrible decision.

Spartan Ops sounds like the natural evolution of Fire Fight.

Also I am sure there will some standard FF missions in it as well.

TheOddOne

Terrible decision.
I know that feel :(

The article mentions that there is no dedicated Firefight mode, but like some pointed out it might come back in Spartan Ops.

Ok, deep down I admit, a lot of this doesn't sound Halo like and the x-ray vision shit has me worried... but a lot of this sounds like it would be fucking awesome fun.

Enjoy your classic playlist moaners.

See i don't agree with that. By that rational, the books wouldn't be very Halo like either. Spartans in the books are super fast, super strong, jump high, very stealth and you see very little of that in the games. Doesn't that mean that the books are less Halo like then the games then? If anything, the games have much less Halo dept than the books which i think is the bigger problem. I wanna see more of the books in the game which is the direction it seems to be going with 4.

And yes, it does sound fun.

ProXimity

Banned
Why do some people consider CoD's features "the natural evolution of the genre" when it's really only what makes CoD, well, CoD.

It's not like Battlefield 3 has instant respawns.

And to the guy above me:
Dude, the reason the Spartans weren't as athletic in the games as they were in the books was because the player's control over the avatar literally could not be that complex. The way Master Chief maneuvers in cutscenes, for example... since you can't move quite like that when you're playing, does that mean the gameplay violates canon? No.

Why should anyone be willing when COD is a crappy game that caters to weed smoking dudebros

They could instead adapt ideas from Battlefield, or Tribes, or Crysis which would work so much better in the Halo gameplay. But no, COD is all that exists in the minds of 343.

I love the progress system in COD and the way you unlock guns and the challenges are fun as well. Not all of COD is bad. If you had a open mind, youd see it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
See i don't agree with that. By that rational, the books wouldn't be very Halo like either. Spartans in the books are super fast, super strong, jump high, very stealth and you see very little of that in the games. Doesn't that mean that the books are less Halo like then the games then? If anything, the games have much less Halo dept than the books which i think the bigger problem. I wanna see more of the books in the game.

Someone needs to bring out that Ronald McDonald image of what the fuck am I reading for this post.

Overdoziz

Banned
Why do some people consider CoD's features "the natural evolution of the genre" when it's really only what makes CoD, well, CoD.

It's not like Battlefield 3 has instant respawns.
It's like people saying the game needs sprint because every other FPS has sprint.
smh

JdFoX187

Banned
See i don't agree with that. By that rational, the books wouldn't be very Halo like either. Spartans in the books are super fast, super strong, jump high, very stealth and you see very little of that in the games. Doesn't that mean that the books are less Halo like then the games then? If anything, the games have much less Halo dept than the books which i think is the bigger problem. I wanna see more of the books in the game which is the direction it seems to be going with 4.

Good luck getting that to work in-game. Most of the stuff that the Spartans do in the extended fiction just isn't possible to translate into gameplay. A Halo game -- any game for that fact -- should focus on gameplay first and build the fiction and rules around that. It's the reason Nathan Drake can jump like he's on the moon, that characters in action games can "double-jump," absorb dozens of bullets without any sort of armor and that Spartans play a little slower in Halo games than they do in the fiction.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's like people saying the game needs sprint because every other FPS has sprint.
smh
The only thing it really needed was the option for drop-in-drop-out multiplayer. And now it finally has that, and likely it has traditional, unjoinable modes too for competitive/ranked/what have you.

Good luck getting that to work in-game. Most of the stuff that the Spartans do in the extended fiction just isn't possible to translate into gameplay. A Halo game -- any game for that fact -- should focus on gameplay first and build the fiction and rules around that. It's the reason Nathan Drake can jump like he's on the moon, that characters in action games can "double-jump," absorb dozens of bullets without any sort of armor and that Spartans play a little slower in Halo games than they do in the fiction.

You already see some of that in the games with the abilities and equipments. But to say x-ray isn't Halo like? Compared to what? Jetpacks and big gravity hammers? Like a spartan couldn't have tech to see through walls? Oh but give him one of those big hammers. Really? Jesus. You guys are in fuckin denial, hardcore style.

JdFoX187

Banned

Even the nano suit doesn't compare to what the Spartans can do in the books. The closest proximity would be Unreal Tournament/Quake levels of speed with armor abilities. Good luck getting that to work.

You already see some of that in the games with the abilities and equipments. But to say x-ray isn't Halo like? Compared to what? Jetpacks and big gravity hammers? Like a spartan couldn't have tech to see through walls? Really? Jesus. You guys are in fuckin denial, hardcore style.

Don't involve me in that. I've been mostly just sitting on the sidelines and reading the information as it comes out. But I do agree to an extent that having X-ray vision in the game is something that is definitely different for the Halo GAMEPLAY formula. I don't give two shits if the Spartans can jump to the moon with turbo thrusters sticking out of their ass in the fiction. If it makes for bad gameplay, I don't want it in the game. I'm holding my opinions on X-ray vision because I don't know how they're going to implement it. Perhaps they can do something similar to Perfect Dark, or maybe the Auger from Resistance. Or it could be completely different. Who knows? But justifying its existence to someone that doesn't like it simply by using the extended fiction as an excuse is laughable.

Portugeezer

This is a game series first, so to me the games are more important than the books. I haven't read the books though, just comparing to past Halo games.

You already see some of that in the games with the abilities and equipments. But to say x-ray isn't Halo like? Compared to what? Jetpacks and big gravity hammers? Like a spartan couldn't have tech to see through walls? Really? Jesus.
I'm sure X-ray vision can fit into the fiction without problem.

I just don't see what positives you gain by putting that kind of ability into multiplayer versus.

You already see some of that in the games with the abilities and equipments. But to say x-ray isn't Halo like? Compared to what? Jetpacks and big gravity hammers? Like a spartan couldn't have tech to see through walls? Oh but give him one of those big hammers. Really? Jesus. You guys are in fuckin denial, hardcore style.
Just because it's technically possible within the canon doesn't mean it needs to be in the game, dude. It's a game first and foremost.

TheOddOne

The X-Ray thing sounds like a "perk", unlocked at getting for example a killing spree. Which means it will last for 20 sec or more. Doesn't sound to bad to be honest.

I'm sure X-ray vision can fit into the fiction without problem.

I just don't see what positives you gain by putting that kind of ability into multiplayer versus.

How about turning it on right before going into enemy base (with a bunch of teammates by your side with invisibility) so you can recon where everyone on the other team is before getting a flag. I see a lot of gain.

How about turning it on right before going into enemy base (with a bunch of teammates by your side with invisibility) so you can recon where everyone on the other team is before getting a flag. I see a lot of gain.
Gain for the person using it? Sure. A gain for the game's sandbox and balance? Not so fast.

MAXIMUM SPEED *Run slightly faster*
You have to crank the values past 11 to reach "Spartan" setting.

JdFoX187

Banned

Imagine being on the other team against that shit. No thank you.

sp3000

I love the progress system in COD and the way you unlock guns and the challenges are fun as well. Not all of COD is bad. If you had a open mind, youd see it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Battlefield did unlocks far before COD and did them better. BF2142 had a full unlock system in 2006. You could actually choose what you wanted to unlock with the points you earned rather than being thrown along a set unlock path.

As usual, COD just assumes you are a weed smoker who wants to shoot things without thinking. Surely giving the players choice with what they want to unlock will cause them to think too much. Funny enough, this is true of most of their player base.

If monks chanting = the level up guitar riff from COD I'm suing 343.

This is actually hilarious and might even be true.

ProXimity

Banned
I think the main issue is that people assume everyone upset with these changes is just a whiny fanboy of some sorts. The real problem is that the FPS genre currently lacks great gameplay diversity, and implementing features that are not inherent to a good fps title just because they're in some cash machine that's easy for someone on the brink of death to pick up and play alienates any and all players who are searching for a different experience.

And let's be honest, with the oversaturation from Call of Duty titles, there are plenty of people looking for a different experience.

EDIT: No offense, Silly.Mikey, but I think your 'invisible invasion' idea is utterly retarded. Halo isn't vaudeville.

JdFoX187

Banned
And let's be honest, with the oversaturation from Call of Duty titles, there are plenty of people looking for a different experience.

Are there really? There have been numerous other games that have come out with different gameplay styles and still fail to gain traction. The only shooter that's managed to own against Call of Duty is Battlefield 3. And many people I know have lamented how it borrowed a lot of ideas from CoD.

Sean

Banned
People need to calm down with the "CoDified" complaints. Most of the features that 343 lifted from CoD do not really affect the core Halo gameplay at all and simply make sense.

- Being able to instantly respawn and get back into the action rather than watching an enemy corpse hump your dead body for ten seconds? That's a good thing.
- Join in progress ensuring teams are always fair rather than playing a stacked game of 2vs8? Good thing.
- Sprinting as a base trait, like literally every other shooter on the market? Good thing.

It's not gonna be a straight up CoD clone. It will still play like Halo and have jumping, shields, armor abilities, vehicles in MP (I assume), and a unique weapon sandbox not found in other games.

clav

Liking everything I've read so far.

I think the removal of Firefight was necessary as it was impossible to play on slow broadband connections. Host always had an advantage. That said, I've never enjoyed a round of Firefight due to bandwidth constraints. Character was always bouncing around the screen or stuttering every few steps, so the game mode was ultimately absolutely worthless.

Terrible decision.

I think it's pretty obvious Spartan Ops will be an evolution of Firefight. I could be wrong, but it certainly sounds like that from the Game Informer article.

sp3000

Are there really? There have been numerous other games that have come out with different gameplay styles and still fail to gain traction. The only shooter that's managed to own against Call of Duty is Battlefield 3. And many people I know have lamented how it borrowed a lot of ideas from CoD.

Tribes Ascend is very popular, and with good reason. Might be the only multiplayer game these days that requires skill.

Sprinting as a base trait, like literally every other shooter on the market? Good thing.

No it isn't. There was a time Halo was unique and others shooters copied it. Now it looks like 343 is so starved for new ideas they just look to other games.

People need to calm down with the "CoDified" complaints. Most of the features that 343 lifted from CoD do not really affect the core Halo gameplay at all and simply make sense.

- Being able to instantly respawn and get back into the action rather than watching an enemy corpse hump your dead body for ten seconds? That's a good thing.
- Join in progress ensuring teams are always fair rather than playing a stacked game of 2vs8? Good thing.
- Sprinting as a base trait, like literally every other shooter on the market? Good thing.

It's not gonna be a straight up CoD clone. It will still play like Halo and have jumping, shields, armor abilities, vehicles in MP (I assume), and a unique weapon sandbox not found in other games.

And youll be able to set your load-out as you see fit, with sticky grenades right off the bat. I see nothing but positive.

Top Bottom