• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tawpgun
(04-09-2012, 01:28 AM)

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

Have we heard the Halo multiplayer announcer guy? I don't think he's coming back, if they're going in this Infinity direction.

Holy fuck I totally forgot about that. Stietzer better be in Halo 4. He's the voice of Halo!
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(04-09-2012, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by mastrbiggy

7 best Halo maps in no particular order.
-Epitaph
-Backwash
-Sword Base
-Isolation
-Chiron
-Infinity
-Gemini

I like the cut... of your cut.

Originally Posted by FyreWulff

You start out in Spartan FCW and have to work up to Spartanmania. WRITTEN IN THE STARS. When you first sign up, your Spartan is assigned a name by Vince McMahon. Master Chiefillicutty

wat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_6CQ5R558
Poker Face
(04-09-2012, 01:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Sai-kun

I like this.

p.s. pokerfaced: nice avvy :p

Woorloog
(04-09-2012, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Arnie

The 1-50 system was simple, powerful and most importantly universal. Everyone knew what the numbers meant and how to achieve them. I'm not saying 343 should copy this system verbatim, but they should use it as the springboard for whatever skill based ranking system is in 4.

And I'm just going to assume that they aren't naive enough to think Spartan Points are enough. There has to be some ranking system that doesn't just account for time played, otherwise their hopes of getting Halo 4 to be as popular as 2-3 are dead on arrival.

Yeah, it should not be copied directly. TrueSkill had some issues... win 5-10 games, no level up. Lose one, lose one level right away. That was very frustrating. I've read the explanation of TrueSkill and maybe it does work correctly but it doesn't feel like that. Of course this only became an issue at higher levels.

One thing i'd love to see changed to Halo 4 is that playlist specific TrueSkill (assuming it is used, otherwise its replacement) is done away and replaced with universal TrueSkill. If you're good in one list, probabilities are you're good anywhere else. Of course there should be exceptions: Griffball is excluded from this, MLG/other HC lists should have their own specific True Skill which is used. But in general, no list-specific ratings.

We need dual progression system: Time played system like Reach has AND a system similar to Halo 2/3.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-09-2012, 01:31 AM)

Are we seriously calling them "Spartan Points"

Space Bucks or bust.
bobs...onGaf
(04-09-2012, 01:32 AM)

Originally Posted by HiredN00bs

What is the purpose of player investment? What role do ranking systems play towards this purpose? What role do progression systems play?

Ranking systems and progression systems are like two different worlds, but they can both players with a goal to achieve. I think its fairly clear what the carrot on the stick is in terms of the progression system (unlocking stuff with Spartan Points), but now im curious to see if theres a ranking system, and how that works.

Truth be told I can live without a ranking system, I just hope the progression system isnt as long winded and downright random as Reach's is. If I can influence my progression rate by playing well (CoD style) I will be happy.

We need dual progression system: Time played system like Reach has AND a system similar to Halo 2/3.

CoD has a similar system to Reach, but rather than it being based on time played, its still based on kills etc. Thats a very individualistic system though and I think for Halo I would like it to be more team based. I.E. if your team wins you get a significant bonus, not the tiny bonus you get in reach.
Last edited by bobs...onGaf; 04-09-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-09-2012, 01:33 AM)

Originally Posted by A27 Tawpgun

Holy fuck I totally forgot about that. Stietzer better be in Halo 4. He's the voice of Halo!

Dude.
Fuchsdh
(04-09-2012, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by OuterWorldVoice

Dude.

Being that deft at answering questions with non-answers or non-sequiters is an art form.

Where did you study, sensei?
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-09-2012, 01:36 AM)

Originally Posted by heckfu

Spallards.

Zenny Coins
Woorloog
(04-09-2012, 01:36 AM)

Originally Posted by bobs99 ...

CoD has a similar system to Reach, but rather than it being based on time played, its still based on kills etc. Thats a very individualistic system though and I think for Halo I would like it to be more team based. I.E. if your team wins you get a significant bonus, not the tiny bonus you get in reach.

Hmm, i should've written: A ranking system like Halo 2 or 3 and a progression system like Call of Duty. After reading your post, i realised i liked CODs system far more than Reach's...
Tawpgun
(04-09-2012, 01:37 AM)

Dude.

ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 01:37 AM)
Well, that confirms it
Poker Face
(04-09-2012, 01:38 AM)
Combat Currency?
lawl i dont know...
xxjuicesxx
(04-09-2012, 01:38 AM)
Shit-on Shekels.

Noscope Nuyen.

Wape Ruble
Last edited by xxjuicesxx; 04-09-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Overdoziz
(04-09-2012, 01:39 AM)
Pretty sure Jeff Steitzer was confirmed a long time ago.
CyReN
(04-09-2012, 01:40 AM)
Cheneymaniaaaaaaaaaaa

Glad he's back.

beli343
ElzarTheBam
(04-09-2012, 01:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

Still think that Jeff should have been a firefight voice, would have been awesome.
Tawpgun
(04-09-2012, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Overdoz1z

I hope you're right.

There's no way he's not coming back.

But if it really is about this whole Infinity thing than it means Steitzer, in some form, exists in Halo canon :P
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(04-09-2012, 01:41 AM)
Hmm.. too bad it's 343, I kinda like the name of "Bungie Bucks"...
Arnie
(04-09-2012, 01:42 AM)
No comment at ranking debate, slightest mention of Stietzer and he's straight in there.

:o
Poker Face
(04-09-2012, 01:43 AM)

No comment at ranking debate, slightest mention of Stietzer and he's straight in there.

not sure what to take from that.
kylej
Banned
(04-09-2012, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by xxjuicesxx

Shit-on Shekels.

Noscope Nuyen.

Wape Ruble

Frankie please change the Halo 4 currency name to Wape Rubles thank you in advance.
Arnie
(04-09-2012, 01:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Pok3R Fac3D

not sure what to take from that.

Means we'll be buying armour abilities with Francs. And nothing else.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 01:46 AM)

Means we'll be buying armour abilities with Francs. And nothing else.

MechaKyleJ better be unlockable
Tawpgun
(04-09-2012, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by kylej

Frankie please change the Halo 4 currency name to Wape Rubles thank you in advance.

As you rank up in Halo 4 you can change the name of the currency to whatever you like. Each type of currency has its own economy and exchange rates. There's going to be a stock market trading mini game.
kittens
(04-09-2012, 01:47 AM)
Need 3 to 15 for donging.
The Henery
(04-09-2012, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Trey

Who the hell (besides Tashi) actually cares? Also, I could have sworn I read that shields will be recharging faster in 4.

The fuck? Is this a troll post or something? I do. I fucking care. Pulling off an extermination is one of the sickest feelings you can get in Halo. I assume it's cut for Slayer now that you can spawn instantly? What a fucking joke.

Originally Posted by 789shadow

They need to suck it up then.

This from the guy who wants exploding flags to prevent teams better than his from capping consecutively.

Originally Posted by kylej

Makes it easier for bad people to get kills. I was going to say it destroys the concept of map control, but H4 will probably have the same randomized spawns as Reach so unskilled people will have it easier there too.

It also makes it easier for bad people to die over and over again. Games like this (all from today)

Or this

Or paired up with them again!

These sorts of games will reach the 50 mark even faster. I can imagine a scenario where a BK dies by teamshot, instantly respawns, attempts a sprint beatdown on his recent assailant only to be teamshot to ribbons again. Rinse and repeat for neg 30 in a game to 50. Will the fabled trueskill even be viable in a drop in/drop out environment?
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-09-2012, 01:49 AM)

We will not be talking about ranking or progression in detail for a while. We are not using TruSkill in the same way Reach did. That's about all we can say for now.

Suffice it to say the game will match people appropriately - Tashi to Kyle, for example, and me to WalshOgreSkrillexTwinBlains.
789shadow
Banned

We will not be talking about ranking or progression in detail for a while. We are not using TruSkill in the same way Reach did. That's about all we can say for now.

Suffice it to say the game will match people appropriately - Tashi to Kyle, for example, and me to WalshOgreSkrillexTwinBlains.

And me to Derp McMouthBreather?
Computron

Suffice it to say the game will match people appropriately [...] me to WalshOgreSkrillexTwinBlains.

Skrillex plays halo now? And not just for the up coming Halo 4 trailer's wub-wub?
Homeboyd
(04-09-2012, 01:50 AM)
I know! I know!

"Xp"
Tawpgun
(04-09-2012, 01:50 AM)

So you mean there's actually going to be Truskill?

Improvement over Reach right there.
Woorloog
(04-09-2012, 01:52 AM)

So you mean there's actually going to be Truskill?

Improvement over Reach right there.

Didn't Reach have TrueSkill too but hidden and pretty loose?
Arnie
(04-09-2012, 01:53 AM)

Thanks. Appreciate the response, really. I understand the timing of such detail divulgence is outside of your control. Hope the new system works and hope it provides enough stimulus for players who aren't interested in Spartan Points (XP, Credits) to keep playing from game to game and feel rewarded for their abilities.
kylej
Banned
(04-09-2012, 01:53 AM)

We are not using TruSkill in the same way Reach did. That's about all we can say for now.

ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 01:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Computron

Skrillex plays halo now? And not just for the up coming Halo 4 trailer's wub-wub?

He's the new sound composer, dude
Arnie
(04-09-2012, 01:55 AM)

That's what it said in Game Informer but David just posted to inform us that, in fact, Marty just changed his name.
xxjuicesxx
(04-09-2012, 01:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Woorloog

Lol, no.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(04-09-2012, 01:56 AM)

GAF has been fed well this weekend.
FyreWulff
Banned
(04-09-2012, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Steelyuhas

Arena is W/L, so I see no reason it can't do objective.

Population drop.
Tawpgun

Originally Posted by Woorloog

I believe Bungie said that Trueskill was everywhere, but because some playlists had low populations you couldn't expect it to work that well.

Only places that were challenging were Arena once you got into Onyx and MLG because all the tryhards live there.
Woorloog
nvm

I believe Bungie said that Trueskill was everywhere, but because some playlists had low populations you couldn't expect it to work that well.

Only places that were challenging were Arena once you got into Onyx and MLG because all the tryhards live there.

I see
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(04-09-2012, 01:58 AM)

Nope. Although I had been using Skirllex (and the headbanging gif)as a shortcut for wub wub for months without ever actually listening to him. Then I did and I actually like his stuff. But our princess is in another castle. That narrows it down. Again, composer isn't going to be a surprise per se, but you'll hear more about that (fairly) soon, with a very cool video to accompany it.
Tashi
343i Community Coordinator
(04-09-2012, 01:59 AM)

That doesn't sound good. I carry Kyle all the fuckin time. Kid's a negative K/D All Star
Poker Face
(04-09-2012, 01:59 AM)

i know jumping to conclusions here means you get shot in the foot, but...

thank sweet baby jesus, i may actually play with people my same skill level
Zeouterlimits
(04-09-2012, 02:01 AM)

I realise this is what I would expect to hear, but all the same, brought a smile to my face.

That narrows it down. Again, composer isn't going to be a surprise per se, but you'll hear more about that (fairly) soon, with a very cool video to accompany it.

Iiiiinteresting. Not a suprise per se makes it odd.
More indications it's the Massive Attack guy? Or what? Because wouldn't anyone but him or Tajeen be surprising?
(not asking you Frankie, just wondering aloud)
Last edited by Zeouterlimits; 04-09-2012 at 02:04 AM.
kylej
Banned
Watching Formal play Halo 3 from earlier today. Struggling a bit with the sniper. Funny how different sniping and BRing is in Reach. Leading BR shots is still absolutely terrible.

http://www.twitch.tv/formal/b/314339100

Makes Snipedown's unrelenting wape with the sniper in H3 even more impressive. Ima watch Snipedown: The Movie and throw a few chairs tonight in honor of that legend.
Hydranockz

Originally Posted by Pok3R Fac3D

i know jumping to conclusions here means you get shot in the foot, but...

thank sweet baby jesus, i may actually play with people my same skill level

At least we can learn and move on from here ;)
neoism
(04-09-2012, 02:02 AM)

Zeny Coins

<3
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
(04-09-2012, 02:02 AM)

Nope. Although I had been using Skirllex (and the headbanging gif)as a shortcut for wub wub for months without ever actually listening to him. Then I did and I actually like his stuff. But our princess is in another castle. That narrows it down. Again, composer isn't going to be a surprise per se, but you'll hear more about that (fairly) soon, with a very cool, very in-depth gameplay video with awesome music to accompany it.

Glad to hear it, Frankie!